Has anyone played any good video games lately?

Started by Music is life, July 20, 2013, 06:54:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marblesoda

Quote from: Mathim on May 06, 2015, 07:58:42 AM
All right, I'll go into them with an open mind and give them a fair shot. If Oblivion is anything like Fallout 3/New Vegas, I'll be sitting pretty.

The Elder Scrolls games in general are alright, but I prefer the Fallout series more, to be honest. I mean, if you're really into medieval fantasy stuff, they're really great, but I find myself getting pretty bored pretty quickly of med fantasy video games. If you want one more like 3/NV, I'd go for Skyrim. I have Oblivion, but I haven't played it much - I can't think of anything right off the bat, but it seemed to me there were some concepts they had in Oblivion that were more polished and more easily implemented in Skyrim. Of course, not everyone likes that... maybe it was just it was really hard to tell where to go in Oblivion? I'm not sure now.

In my own news, along with Dragonball Xenoverse, I am now playing Syberia. Again. In anticipation of Syberia 3!
"Do you know what that really means? A knight in shining armor?" "A hero who saves the day." "No. A knight in shining armor never did nothing for nobody. He never fought. A knight in dented, scraped armor, now that's what you want."

consortium11

Quote from: Mathim on May 06, 2015, 07:58:42 AM
If Oblivion is anything like Fallout 3/New Vegas, I'll be sitting pretty.

Largely identical to Fallout 3 with the obvious differences being the setting, use of medieval weapons rather than guns, the inclusion of magic (which depending of which school you go with tends to work as either a gun, a healing/buffing effect or a summoning portal) and a different leveling system (in Oblivion you level up skills by using them; be cautious of getting your non-combat skills too high and levelling up that way or you'll find the enemies rapidly outclass you).

Galactic Druid

So I got a few itunes cards during the last week from people. Anyone know any decent iphone/pad games worth picking up?
A/As last updated 11/27 - Halfway past busy season!

Frelance

Quote from: ThatRPGuy on May 08, 2015, 11:10:08 PM
So I got a few itunes cards during the last week from people. Anyone know any decent iphone/pad games worth picking up?
I use android but if you can get Rebuild and Plague inc I would say those are two must have games.
Evolution is an arms race

Lustful Bride

Galactic Civilizations 3.

Oh god making your own custom race is amazing.

Gonna make the Terran Federation and conquer the galaxy for Humanity and bring all those Xenos under our rule.  >:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIGHCoVzqtk

Inkidu

I wish I could get into Galac Civ, but they're just too silly for my tastes. It lack the gravitas you expect when forging an interstellar empire. Also, they're the only other media I know of since Hogan's Heroes to try and make genocidal monsters hilarious, with not as successfully by my reckoning.

If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Formless

I am enjoying ' The Witcher 3 '.

Its been a while since I played an open world game , and the witcher provide a lot of elements that I enjoy.

( I managed to hunt a wild bear! It was so huge! ::) )

joaniedark

I've been REALLY enjoying Witcher 3 so far. It's a lovely game, even if it's clunky in some places.
(The bears are terrifying but went down easier than the TWENTY-WOLF PACK I FOUND HOLY SHOOT)

I've also been trying and failing at The Evil Within lately, but guns + me = a bad time.
O/Os~*~AO3

HairyHeretic

Welcome back Commander ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2E_-2wIJIzQ

Okay, so it's not actually out yet, it just got announced today. I'm looking forwards to see what it's like.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Inkidu

Quote from: HairyHeretic on June 01, 2015, 02:00:53 PM
Welcome back Commander ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2E_-2wIJIzQ

Okay, so it's not actually out yet, it just got announced today. I'm looking forwards to see what it's like.
I'm not exactly thrilled that there is no console release this time around, and it appears you lose the first game by canon, which when you're the non-entity general of the game is basically calling you incompetent at playing said game. :P
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

HairyHeretic

Parallel dimensions :P

I won the first time around.

They may add a console port after it launches, though I suppose a lot depends on how well the first one sold on the different platforms. Plus if they're looking to do modding support, how much modding can be done on consoles?
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Inkidu

Quote from: HairyHeretic on June 01, 2015, 02:10:43 PM
Parallel dimensions :P

I won the first time around.

They may add a console port after it launches, though I suppose a lot depends on how well the first one sold on the different platforms. Plus if they're looking to do modding support, how much modding can be done on consoles?
Doesn't matter how much can be done.

Skyrim, Fallout 3, New Vegas, and countless other games have modding on PC, but not consoles, it's not like they're dependent on one another. Sure, I lose out on the mods, but I don't have to worry about my laptop not being able to run it.

Boxy

Man I probably spend way too much on games ever since I got my new job almost a year ago now.  One of many other reasons I haven't really been around here much I suppose.

Recently, with both the PS3 and 4 being region free, I've been playing a lot of Japanese games.  Specifically Senran Kagura Estival Versus, NieR RepliCant, and Yakuza 5, 0, and Ishin.  Originally thought against it as I wasn't sure I'd be able to enjoy things in a language I don't understand, but a lot of it seems easy enough to gleam, and I've already played the US version of NieR to death and just wanted an excuse to go through it again, so most of it shouldn't be too difficult to get through.  Wondering how many Japan only games there are I'm missing out on, or others that are different enough to warrant looking into.

Samael

Quote from: Lustful Bride on May 22, 2015, 10:13:40 AM
Galactic Civilizations 3.

Oh god making your own custom race is amazing.

Gonna make the Terran Federation and conquer the galaxy for Humanity and bring all those Xenos under our rule.  >:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIGHCoVzqtk

That... is a perfect choice for music for this game.
I've gotten ahold of it myself, and I'm absolutely in love with it.

I enjoyed the first two well enough, but I feel like this one is really a step above.
It's doing -everything- right, except maybe (still) diplomacy. It still feels too much like "punch in random stuff".
I'd really enjoy it to be more sophisticated. You should be able to spy private stuff about a the character representing a civilization and blackmail or help them for cookie points.

Still, it's great fun.
On & Offs | My Games | Apologies & Absences | Tumblr
Et comme des fleurs de glace, on grandit dans la nuit
La lumière nous efface, dans la noirceur on vit
Comme des fleurs de glace, on rêve et on reste unis
Des fleurs au cœur de l'insomnie

"Eisblume - Fleurs De Glace"

Ssieth

This isn't going to be to everyone's tastes but if you like narratively-focused games then I can highly recommend Life is Strange (http://lifeisstrange.com).  It's a beautiful game that's being released in chapters (so you can buy in to just chapter 1 to give it a go) and focuses on an 18 year old girl Max Caulfield who returns to her old home town to attend College only to get flung into a compelling series of events

The game riffs on nostalgia, coming of age, the nature of hard decisions, establishing and maintaining relationships etc etc.

The characters are believable and have depth and the plot is complex.  The decisions you make are all of the sort that had me agonizing over them for days after playing a given chapter. 

It also has the best soundtrack I've seen in a computer game for a very long time. 
Posting Status: Hoping for 1-3 per week / game
My ONs and OFFs Page (13th November 2023)
One-on-one ideas (5th July 2023)
Possible Absences (13th November 2023)

My Tampermonkey Script for Elliquiy

PM me here or find me as ssieth on discord.

LuckyOwl

Life is Strange is pretty good - it has interesting time warping mechanics reminiscing of Prince of Persia - Sands of Time, and the choice system is actually decent (looking at you, Telltale).
QuoteYou never knew exactly how much space you occupied in people's lives.
F. Scott Fitzgerald, Tender is the Night

consortium11

I wanted to like Life is Strange but the dialogue drove me mad far too quickly. It's an attempt to sound young and "hip" and natural by writers who quite clearly saw their teenage years pass them by years before.

It's sort of off topic on the basis that it's not really a good game but I played Hatred.

On the positive side the aesthetic (primarily black and white with the occasional splash of colour) is striking and effective while the physics and destruction effects are stunning; there's moments when you're trapped in a building and the police are shredding it with bulletfire where you just want to stop playing and watch the walls slowly crumble as holes get shot in them.

On the negative side it's entirely mediocre. Gameplay wise it's a mediocre twin stick shooter. "Controversy" wise it doesn't offer a huge amount more than the original GTA and is a clear step behind the original Postal. In some ways it offers less than Manhunt 2... and that had you killing psychopaths and thugs. The much heralded executions are generally pretty mundane (most tend to involve shooting someone you've already shot a few times more or hitting them with your weapon) and frankly you're most likely to turn the cinematic version off about 10 minutes into playing; executions are how you regain health so you want to do them a lot but you don't really want to keep being dragged into cinematic view (imagine if every kill in Fallout 3/NV went into VATS mode). There's no attempt to even begin making an emotional connection with the civilians the character has to slaughter... at the end of the day they fulfill the same role and amount of connection as the enemies in Mario where you simply defeat them to get points and progress the game.

Boxy

I've just been watching Matt and Liam go through Life is Strange on theSw1tcher on youtube...it seems interesting but like has been said, the dialogue seems kinda cringey, and I'd rather not support something that takes such a strong stance against any and all movements contrary to feminism.

I'm unsure of how I feel about these types of games in general, though. Have also seen others like The Walkng Dead and while the big draw seems to be deciding what happens in the story, it largely doesn't matter because it can only go in so many different directions.  I got an Xbox1 almost solely for D4(and I'd much rather Swery spend time on a sequel to Deadly Premonition), but there it feels it's much more focused on puzzles and exploration than making any huge changes - in fact, you're encouraged to stay in character.  I don't really know which serves a story driven game better.

Not totally about gaming, but in other news, the 'Art of Grasshopper Manufacture' is up for preorder on amazon.  Perhaps not such a big deal to others, but I've been a big fan since No More Heroes, so I really can't wait.  Apparently it spans from the Silver case all the way to covering stuff from Let it Die, so that sounds like a lot of neato stuff.

Ssieth

I've read a lot of criticism
Quote from: Boxy on June 03, 2015, 11:07:57 PM
I've just been watching Matt and Liam go through Life is Strange on theSw1tcher on youtube...it seems interesting but like has been said, the dialogue seems kinda cringey, and I'd rather not support something that takes such a strong stance against any and all movements contrary to feminism.

I'm unsure of how I feel about these types of games in general, though. Have also seen others like The Walkng Dead and while the big draw seems to be deciding what happens in the story, it largely doesn't matter because it can only go in so many different directions.  I got an Xbox1 almost solely for D4(and I'd much rather Swery spend time on a sequel to Deadly Premonition), but there it feels it's much more focused on puzzles and exploration than making any huge changes - in fact, you're encouraged to stay in character.  I don't really know which serves a story driven game better.

I've seen a lot of criticism about the dialogue in LiS being cringey but not felt that way myself.  I'm not sure if it's something in the geographical differences in youth culture/slang.  Certainly most of the criticism I've read has been from US-based players (that said, most of the reviews of any sort that I've read have been US-based).  I'm wondering this primarily as I know that the dev team are based in continental Europe (France mainly) and maybe its a result of French writers creating dialogue for US teens that grates for some people? *shrugs*

In terms of the games stance on feminism, I'm not sure that I've seen one so far (it's only up to chapter 3 so far).  There are issues in the game that would certainly ignite the average feminist into a crusading firebrand but I'm not sure that the game really takes much of a stance over them (so far).  As a character you end up mixed up with them and dealing with them, making decisions regarding them.  But that's one of the unusual things about LiS compared to other games of it's ilk that I've played.  Decisions aren't divided into right and wrong (again - so far).  They do have consequences - some obvious and some less so and they do seem painfully meaningful as you see the consequences play out but you're always left wondering whether the decision you made was the 'right' one in the long term.  Some consequences are immediate and apparent but many decisions have longer-term implications that you just have to wait and see unfold.  I remain unsure whether keeping my pot plant alive is important let alone what the implications are for advising anyone towards a more or less feminist view.

None of the characters seem particularly feminist, either.  There's certainly one who's anti-feminist and also a generally unpleasant individual who's severely messed up.  But, hell, people like that exist.

I think what draws me in more and more to LiS is the sense of absorption it gives me.  It rarely drags me away from putting myself in the protagonists shoes and whilst where you can wander is limited by the practicality of the medium, it really feels like there's a whole world out there to be explored and that the writers have given a hell of a lot more thought to the 'off-screen' world than most do.  There are puzzles but they don't drag you away from the hard decisions, exploration and plot for very long.

And all this chatting about LiS has me thinking I should also get back to playing Dreamfall: Chapters at some point soon.  It's closer to traditional point-and-click adventures but has a number of similarities in terms of decision making and off-screen thought.
Posting Status: Hoping for 1-3 per week / game
My ONs and OFFs Page (13th November 2023)
One-on-one ideas (5th July 2023)
Possible Absences (13th November 2023)

My Tampermonkey Script for Elliquiy

PM me here or find me as ssieth on discord.

Eranil Morathim

The more often I read this thread the more I think I should actually finish some of my games. Dragon's Dogma and Two Worlds II come immediately to mind. Started them both and haven't touched either one in close to a year. I'll have to start from scratch just to remember what I'm doing.

vin26m

Over the past week or so, I got sucked into Defiance on XBox 360. 

It is free to play. 

The TV show starts its 3rd season really soon, and there are supposed to be codes in the show that unlock stuff in the game.

If you don't spend any real money (to unlock content and get gear), you will be kind of limited in what you can do and get, and you might be somewhat inconvenienced, but I still find the game to be a lot fun.

For my sci-fi shooter, I've pretty much shelved Destiny on XBox One (feels like too much of a grind at this point). 

Defiance on XBox 360 has been my filling that niche for me.

Inkidu

Anyone else play Kerbal Space Program or Frozen State? I kind of like them.

Frozen State is a really hard top-down survival game in early access (really early, but ten bucks is pretty darn good deal).

Samael

Quote from: Inkidu on June 11, 2015, 09:03:18 AM
Anyone else play Kerbal Space Program or Frozen State? I kind of like them.

Frozen State is a really hard top-down survival game in early access (really early, but ten bucks is pretty darn good deal).

My wish list on steam is pretty big right now, but I checked out Frozen State, and I quite like the look of it, so, on the list it goes.

Thanks for bringing the game to my attention.
On & Offs | My Games | Apologies & Absences | Tumblr
Et comme des fleurs de glace, on grandit dans la nuit
La lumière nous efface, dans la noirceur on vit
Comme des fleurs de glace, on rêve et on reste unis
Des fleurs au cœur de l'insomnie

"Eisblume - Fleurs De Glace"

Oniya

What's Frozen State like?  I don't do the Steam thing, but I might send up a flare to a couple of YT people if it looks like their thing.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Inkidu

It's a very early alpha build of a survival game where you're trying to survive in some frozen Russian town and their are alien parasites everywhere. They'll pretty much destroy you, so you hunt around trying not to freeze, starve, dehydrate, or exhaust yourself and survive as long as you can.

It's really rough, doesn't have all its features, and can be petty brutal, but I'm enjoying it so far.