What's in the news?

Started by Beorning, September 21, 2014, 07:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lustful Bride

RedRose

Quote from: Oniya on May 19, 2018, 12:45:23 PM
Sarah Ferguson was pretty much always referred to as 'Fergie'.  (To the point that I had to Google what her actual name is.)

Haha, yeh. I've noticed in England it might be acceptable to refer to a woman with a surname, like servants called "Smith" or something. To my French ears this is awful, I'd go for first name, Mrs Smith or even "you" before wanting to be called by my surname as a woman. Possible exception in a classroom if there were several Roses, and even then... Rose Smith, or Rose S please.
O/O and ideas - write if you'd be a good Aaron Warner (Juliette) [Shatter me], Tarkin (Leia), Wilkins (Faith) [Buffy the VS]
[what she reading: 50 TALES A YEAR]

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Lustful Bride on May 20, 2018, 06:43:37 AM
Are there any limits to what name a royal can take?

I think they can't be called either of these (anymore). Not in the UK:

Macbeth
Adolf
Sonny
Johhny
Conny/Connie
Carrie
North-West
Kim
Dallas
Tarzan
Richard/Dick (impossible due to the link to Richard III, the old villain, and to ummm...)

:P

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

gaggedLouise

A team of French forensic scientists have established that *drumroll* Adolf Hitler actually died on April 30, 1945, shooting himself in Berlin. He neither went to a secret base in Antarctica, nor flew to the moon. #sciencematters "mythbusters

The team have examined remains of Hitler's jaw and skull kept in Moscow. Most of Hitler's ashes were buried in secret by the Russian troops on German soil and eventually in 1970, scattered into a tributary of the river Elbe.

http://www.france24.com/en/20180519-hitler-definitely-died-1945-new-study-teeth

An interesting new finding is that Hitler's teeth have traces of cyanide, suggesting that he bit off a suicide pill between his teeth - like Göring would do the night before he was to be hanged . just before he shot himself in the head (likely from the side)

RedRose

Yeah. This was what people thought before it became trendy to see conspiracies...
O/O and ideas - write if you'd be a good Aaron Warner (Juliette) [Shatter me], Tarkin (Leia), Wilkins (Faith) [Buffy the VS]

Lilias

Quote from: Lustful Bride on May 20, 2018, 06:43:37 AM
Are there any limits to what name a royal can take?

If you mean the name they are crowned as, it has to be one of their given names (of which they usually receive three or four), not necessarily the first. If you mean what names they can choose to name their kids, the pool is rather small, as they are usually named after relatives. As today's royals tend to marry commoners, though, the pool will be replenished with new names.
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Mar 30) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Lustful Bride

Maduro once again runs for leadership in Venezuela.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/defying-global-pressure-maduro-seeks-re-election-in-venezuela/ar-AAxxsfE?ocid=spartandhp&pfr=1&ffid=gz

I get the feeling that even if the entire country 100% voted against him, he would go "No, imperialist plot, I win by default!"

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Lilias on May 20, 2018, 08:45:22 AM
If you mean the name they are crowned as, it has to be one of their given names (of which they usually receive three or four), not necessarily the first. If you mean what names they can choose to name their kids, the pool is rather small, as they are usually named after relatives. As today's royals tend to marry commoners, though, the pool will be replenished with new names.

Louise belongs to the established pool of royal names in both Britain and all three of the Nordic monarchies. :) (Sweden had a queen consort Louise, sister of Lord Mountbatten of Burma, after the war, and the name had appeared before in other queens and princesses).

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Lustful Bride on May 20, 2018, 08:55:08 AM
Maduro once again runs for leadership in Venezuela.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/defying-global-pressure-maduro-seeks-re-election-in-venezuela/ar-AAxxsfE?ocid=spartandhp&pfr=1&ffid=gz

I get the feeling that even if the entire country 100% voted against him, he would go "No, imperialist plot, I win by default!"

My local daily wrote that "the chances of Maduro not winning are equal to those of the moon falling down next week".  :P

Lilias

Quote from: gaggedLouise on May 20, 2018, 09:42:26 AM

Louise belongs to the established pool of royal names in both Britain and all three of the Nordic monarchies. :) (Sweden had a queen consort Louise, sister of Lord Mountbatten of Burma, after the war, and the name had appeared before in other queens and princesses).

It used to be an extremely popular name across most of Europe, especially up to the early 19th century. Its popularity is dwindling, though. :-( The only current British royal bearing it is Lady Louise Windsor, the Earl of Wessex's daughter (and Princess Anne, as her fourth name, but she's from another generation).
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Mar 30) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

RedRose

Many people now are into American TV shows names, or made up ones. I'm not saying I regret the time of lists, but yeah.

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Lilias on May 20, 2018, 10:59:38 AM
It used to be an extremely popular name across most of Europe, especially up to the early 19th century. Its popularity is dwindling, though. :-( The only current British royal bearing it is Lady Louise Windsor, the Earl of Wessex's daughter (and Princess Anne, as her fourth name, but she's from another generation).

Very popular here in Sweden all through the 20th century, both as a single name and as part of a compound: Anne-Louise, Marie-Louise etc. It's passed into the background a bit since 2000, but I'm sure it will return in a few decades. :D

Oniya

Quote from: Lilias on May 20, 2018, 08:45:22 AM

I imagine that very few are naming their sons 'Albert' as a first name, simply due to the potential for crude humor.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Sara Nilsson

Quote from: gaggedLouise on May 20, 2018, 07:47:37 AM
A team of French forensic scientists have established that *drumroll* Adolf Hitler actually died on April 30, 1945, shooting himself in Berlin. He neither went to a secret base in Antarctica, nor flew to the moon. #sciencematters "mythbusters

The team have examined remains of Hitler's jaw and skull kept in Moscow. Most of Hitler's ashes were buried in secret by the Russian troops on German soil and eventually in 1970, scattered into a tributary of the river Elbe.

http://www.france24.com/en/20180519-hitler-definitely-died-1945-new-study-teeth

An interesting new finding is that Hitler's teeth have traces of cyanide, suggesting that he bit off a suicide pill between his teeth - like Göring would do the night before he was to be hanged . just before he shot himself in the head (likely from the side)

Pff like they will believe a science team anyway. :) "of course the russians would say that, we only have their word it is Hitler's skull. #coverup"

Lustful Bride

Lustful Bride

Lustful Bride

RampantDesires

Florida zombie alert

I need silly stories like this to keep me going.

They say best men are moulded out of faults, and, for the most part, become much more the better for being a little bad...
Absences 11/10 ≈ BlindfoldsRequests ≈  On's and Offs
<THIS SPACE PRETTIFIED SOON>
Tentatively Open to a few more 1v1's but also come write with me in Grey Matters--->

Lustful Bride

A perfect example of why Body Cameras benefit not only civilians but also Police in cases where the civilian makes false claims.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/she-said-she-was-sexually-assaulted-by-a-state-trooper-his-camera-footage-shows-otherwise/ar-AAxIEbQ?ocid=spartandhp&ffid=gz

Hades

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-calls-off-meeting-north-koreas-kim-135250907.html

Completely unsurprising, Trump has cancelled the meeting scheduled to take place next month with North Korea.  I say unsurprising because

1) North Korea has a history of trying to get western powers to agree to meetings and then cancelling them, and

2) Because of comments by John Bolton and now Mike Pence saying that the US would push for "the Libya model" as a solution for the situation.   For those unaware of why that's such a deal breaker, it refers to when Muammar Gaddafi gave up his WMD program in exchange for relief from US-led sanctions, only to be deposed a few years later by rebels that received support from the US and France.   So telling the leader of a country that's the model you want to put in place does not provide much incentive for them to come to the negotiating table.

gaggedLouise

Trump's cancellation of the Kim summit is definitely the biggest news on the planet today. :) Even though, as Hades put it, it was hardly unexpected...

Sara Nilsson

But.. what will I do with the commemorative coin now? *snickers*

gaggedLouise

gaggedLouise

The best thing about that coin is that it actually styles Kim "Supreme Leader"... :D

Oniya

Quote from: gaggedLouise on May 24, 2018, 09:57:06 AM
The best thing about that coin is that it actually styles Kim "Supreme Leader"... :D

The depiction of the two isn't the best either - Trump looks like a bulldog, and Kim looks like a shar-pei.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17