Black Crusade (cinematic / mostly freeform) - Recruitment reopened

Started by HairyHeretic, June 05, 2013, 03:19:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baalborn87

If you see one of mine you'd like, feel free. I'm happy with any of the ones I came up with.

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Kythia on June 06, 2013, 04:34:30 PM
I was thinking sergeant/NCO level.  I was actually thinking she was part of some wider cult within the guard at large or possibly just within the regiment (Id like to make up my own regiment if that's cool?).  Seems to fit in nicely with the "taken alive" thing.  The inqiusition need names.

That sounds ok to me.

Quote from: Kevben Battleheart on June 06, 2013, 04:53:28 PM
Color me intrested. I always wanted to play in a game run by Hairy, but seeing as how many people are showing intrest, I will willingly bow out.

You can always wait and see how many decide to take interest through to actual play :)

Quote from: Baalborn87 on June 06, 2013, 04:53:58 PM
I have a couple of ideas i'd like to do.

1) Thousand son's Sorcerer (with rubric marine minion) sent on a quest by Magnus to find a possible reversal to the rubric of Ahriman. He would have a particular hatred for Spacewolves

2) Khornite blood cult assassin. Sniper with explosive tipped ammo (amputator rounds).

3) Disillusioned Heretek. Who believes that the only true "natural" progression for machine spirits is true sentience...or deamonic possession, same difference.

The Rubric Marine minion might be a bit tricky to work in, given the starting conditions of the scenario.

The assassin ... would they be a freelancer, or working with a particular cult?

The Heretek sounds good.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Terian

So, Freeform Black Crusade?

...  Might be interesting, I'll go work on something fitting.

Since the game's mostly freeform, do we have to sit on the game's normal rules, or can we have fancy gear right out the gate since everything's basically abstracted anyway?

SatanKlaus

I'm very interested in this and well-versed in the 'verse of 40k.

Before I make a character concept, what kind of roleplay will this be:
Is this meant to be more classical roleplay with mostly combat&riddles or mroe modern horror, insanity and inner demons?
What is the smut factor going to be like? Is rape, seduction, slavery and depravity going to be a central focus or is it just something the Noise Marine does on the side to relax while his companions slaughter a thousand innocents to bath in their blood or unearth ancient, forbidden artifacts while cackling with mad glee?

Satan_Klaus

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Terian on June 07, 2013, 02:41:53 AM
Since the game's mostly freeform, do we have to sit on the game's normal rules, or can we have fancy gear right out the gate since everything's basically abstracted anyway?

Technically yes, but I figured to start with players would use aspects for any really special gear. Plus the starting scenario has them captured by the Inquisition, so they're likely to have lost most of their toys.

I will want to approve anything that would be rare though.

Quote from: SatanKlaus on June 07, 2013, 03:39:24 AM
I'm very interested in this and well-versed in the 'verse of 40k.

Before I make a character concept, what kind of roleplay will this be:
Is this meant to be more classical roleplay with mostly combat&riddles or mroe modern horror, insanity and inner demons?
What is the smut factor going to be like? Is rape, seduction, slavery and depravity going to be a central focus or is it just something the Noise Marine does on the side to relax while his companions slaughter a thousand innocents to bath in their blood or unearth ancient, forbidden artifacts while cackling with mad glee?

I think 40k tends to lend itself better to, as you have described it, the classical roleplay style. The first scenario certainly would fall into that catagory, but how things go from there ... well, I'd like to see the players drive the plots.

Sex may happen, but I don't necessarily see it as central theme for anyone other than the Slaaneshi devotees. Seduction could certainly be a means to an end, depending on a given scenario. Most Marines probably aren't going to care about sex for that matter, probably not the Heretek Mechanicus either, so its more going to be the province of the still human heretics.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

SatanKlaus

Salazar Ibrahim Theodore Bartolomeus Vamos, Duke of Winsbruck and prince of Guttenberg
is the eldest son of Torgen of Guttenberg, head of the ruling house of Amnarg, a prosperous mid-rim planet. Born to immense wealth and luxuries far beyond the wildest dreams of any except the highest echelons of Imperial society, Salazar spent his youth surrounded by artificial gardens, perched high atop a mile-high spire that lifted it beyond the fog of industry and even the weather itself. No cloud could darken the paradise where Salazar played with his highborn siblings and, as he grew to be a man, hand-picked courtesans. His parties were legendary in their opulence and decadence and the scions of noble houses killed for an invite – quite literally on more than one occasion. Fathers tried to keep their lovely and noble daughters pure and away from him, but like moths to the fire, they swarmed and adored him even as he cast one after the other aside, used, humiliated and heartbroken.

Finally, his exploits of questionable nature were enough to catch the interest and ire of the ecclesiarchy who started preaching openly against his evils. His father, quite fed up with his insane spending orgies and the shame he brought on the family name finally agreed to have him disowned and given over to the tender mercies of the inquisition, washing his hands of his oldest child and the suspicion of heresy off of his family name. Salazar was stripped of his lands and titles, his fine clothes and fancy toys, his courtesans and servants and given over to the dogs of the corpse emperor.

When he was put in the stasis chamber aboard the Chains of Judgement, he was not a heretic…not yet. But a hunger burned in his stomach, an insatiable greed for what was taken from him: the luxuries, the power, the women. A barely containable rage welled up in his heart and an insane hatred for those who took it consumed him and brushed away two decades of indoctrination with the Imperial Creed.

His last word before the tech-priests froze him in stasis was a howl of rage, eery and otherworldly in its pain and torment, the emptiness inside that he could never fill finally bursting out of him...and inviting something in.

As Salazar stepped from his stasis pod and licked his lips, tasting the stale air of the prison ship with his long, prehensile tongue that now sprouted from his mouth, he knew that he would have it all back: the wealth, the power, the luxuries, the women. Even his birthright: Amnarg! Lord Slaneesh had promised it in the long sleep between the stars, between the worlds. The sweet promises were still ringing in Salazar's ears, his thoughts obsessing about every little detail that his foggy mind could barely remember.

As he flexed his stiff limbs from the aeon-long sleep, he could feel the grace and strength that had been bestowed on him. Yes, Salazar nodded. He would have it all back: the wealth, the power, the women, the planet…and more. Infinitely more.

SatanKlaus

Is that acceptable as a character proposal?

Satan_Klaus

HairyHeretic

Yep, I think we can work with that. I have a couple of ideas that we could possibly refine it with, but they're relatively minor. I'll PM you with them.

I'll also edit the first post with a list of the concepts people are working on.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Kythia

Is this alright?  Wasn't sure how many aspects but figured I'd make a start on them and then add/remove later.

Sgt. Kanya Dasliss - 2nd Hrithian Infantry

http://i.imgur.com/ib689yL.png?1

Kanya was born on Hrith, a long settled world and the only one orbiting its sun.  The remainder of the system is a series of asteroid belts where gravitational forces have ripped apart rocky planets.  Its these belts that give Hrith its use to the Emperor - mining colonies abound throughout them and the planet as a whole serves as little more than a maintenance bay and restocking centre for the mining operation.  Due to the dangerous conditions out there, turnover of personnel is high and so the world has a relatively small levy for the guard.  Through longstanding tradition it levies every thirty second child who reaches their sixteenth birthday - a system which has the advantage of being unfair to everyone equally, a distinction Kanya managed to meet.

The Hrithian regiments excel at boarding missions and it she has always suspected that it was during the clearing out of a Space Hulk that her lieutenant became somehow corrupted.  He never confirmed for sure though.  But over time his morale pep talks began to change.  Everything was part of a wider scheme, dreamt up by master planners.  It was an uncommon view of the Emperor and probably heretical on that alone.  But he didn't stop there.  Apparently even the Imperium was just a minor gambit in the schemes of something much larger.  Ironically, Kanya was seduced to Chaos by a desire for order.

She soon found herself in more and more secret pep talks and didn't at first realise she had become a cultist - she'd never heard the term "Changer of Ways" before and didn't know to connect it to Tzeentch.  When she found out, she was already sold on the philosophy.  The cult met in secret, seemingly always bigger than she had imagined, and worked on her fellow soldiers to hopefully eventually present Tzeentch with a full regiment.  Whether that would have succeeded or not she'll never know, an inquisitor cut down several of the cult and she was knocked unconscious by a nearby frag grenade.

Aspects:

T-Shits and Flashlights  Kanya knows how to use all standard Imperial Guard ordinance - even being able to drive some of the vehicles as a result of various training courses.

Dasliss, K, Sergeant, 48396395e763  The administration works slow.  Kanya is still a member of the Imperial Guard - even drawing a wage - with all the rights and responsibilities of her rank.

Worlds spanning cultKanya knows names of cultists throught the sector - not necessarily their real ones of course, but at least how to contact her.  Of course, they know the same about her meaning she has many potential routes to be betrayed.

Just as planned Everything is going according to Tzeentch's scheme, by definition.  If he plans for her to die, she will.  If he plans for her to live, she will.  A sangiune attitude that's left her pretty much immune to fear.

HairyHeretic

That sounds fine. We can tweak aspects as we work things along. As long as you have the main character idea, that's all you really need to get started.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

selfexiled

Well I'd rather play a imperium man but I really want to dig into a 40k game, soo. I'll have to work on a character over the weekend. I'll have to lean towards a Tzeentch loyalty, as among the choas he truelly is the most powerful, and presistant.
Originality is fast becoming obsolete, to make a trully unique world all your own is the mark of a great writer, artist, thinker.

Uhm ONs/Offs link
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=134455.msg5990414#msg5990414

Absences:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=180093.0

Terian

Hyperia Tertium

Hyperia is a prime example of what happens when genius beyond all sense and reason is crushed under the weight of conservatism and fanaticism--while consequently a cautionary note about the dangers of Tech being allowed to run rampant and uncontrolled.  The Hyperion Project was the brainchild of Arch Magos Loricus, a brilliant Armourer and master Genetor, along with a number of other esoteric disciplines that interlocked well together.  The premise was simple--The Imperium was dying--the Astartes were limited in number, difficult to control, and prone to falling to Chaos despite their prized "Resistance".  The technology existed to replace them, it was simply hoarded by a number of reactionary Magi, and few were willing to let go of their secrets, for any cause.

The solution?  Collect the scraps of knowledge available, run a test program, and when the time was right, and the concept proven--release his masterwork.  Simple, at least in theory.  He put his Fiefdom to work--collecting genetic data across many sectors--devising the secrets of mighty technologies, and funnelling the wealth and favors earned over a thousand years of service to complete his masterwork.  Three children were born of his genetic projects--Primus, Secundus, and Tertium--each devised of samples from the wisest and mightiest men and women he could reach.  They were trained in the arts of warfare from an early age, infused with mighty bionics and tech-sorcery as their bodies grew.  And each gifted with a panoply of wargear that even the greatest of the Astartes would envy.

And then the Inquisition descended upon him--betrayed by his allies, who grew fearful of his work.  For such could lead only to doom.

Primus and Secundus--her brothers, were the first to battle--and slain by the kill-teams and throne agents that lead this strike.  Tertium wasn't nearly so fortunate--she was arranging the evacuation of the remainder of the facility when the other end of the trap was sprung--and she was captured and imprisoned for "Future Interrogation"

Obviously, the slight young woman was no real threat, and may know of the depths of the heresies that had been sprung--surely she could not be a threat?  Right?

Aspects:

UNDER REVISION

Walking Apocalypse  Hyperia was never designed for anything but absolute destruction, and this shows in her style of battle.  Specializing in heavy ordinance and line-breaking--her tactical flexibility is pretty limited, and may the gods help anyone who thinks she'd be useful in a stealth mission--but there's little short of a squad that can bring her down in a straight fight.

Cyborg:  The secrets of the Dark Age of Technology live on within Hyperia--her limbs have been replaced with cybernetic equivalents--within her blood rests great healing technologies, and her mind is capable of making great use of her advanced armaments.  Consequently, this also makes her somewhat vulnerable to weapons and tactics that effect machines, and she'll never be a Psyker under any circumstances--though given how her physical abilities approach the perfection of the Space Marines, this isn't necessarily a poor trade-off.

Sheltered:  The Hyperion Project was never meant to actually be involved in the galaxy at large, and the fine details of history and social affairs largely go over her head.  About as blunt as a sledgehammer to the face, and she's largely incapable of understanding how appealing to warp powers is ever a good thing, limiting her ability to participate in rituals and other acts of Sorcery.

Immaculate Wargear: Though her own personal abilities are significant, Hyperia's true strength comes with the vast tech-sorceries used to arm her, primarily in the form of a suit of advanced Power Armour adapted to her physiology and implants, and the high-velocity autocannon that comes with it.

Winterborn

Harbinger Antillus Tacitus

A recruit of the post-Heresy days of the Legion, Tacitus was never able to attain the same level of camaraderie shared between those who had lived and died together during the great civil war of the Imperium. That is not to say that he was unable to earn the trust of his superiors, who frequently sent him abroad to undertake numerous forays into Imperial space, collecting data and artifacts necessary to the greater plan.

Tasked with an operation to foment rebellion and seed a number of sympathetic cults and other organizations amongst the citizenry, Alpha Legionnaire Antillus Tacitus was known to his contacts and hunters alike under the moniker 'Harbinger'. Though his mission was a success in every way, including local members of the Guard and Navy as well as the Administratum, it eventually grew too ambitious, becoming so large and well-woven that Throne agents began to be able to follow a single thread in the pattern back to his own lair in the dark space of the sector. He managed to destroy all evidence which might lead them to the rest of his organization, but in so doing allowed himself to be captured alive.

Aspects:

Veteran Legionnaire: Though not as ancient as his brothers who marched under the Emperor's banner, Harbinger is old by any mortal estimation. He has fought in dozens of campaigns against nearly any foe imaginable, enough to learn a modicum of their strengths and weaknesses. By the same token, he is experienced with every form of weapon used by Legion and Imperial forces.

Manipulator: Though his last mission proved to be his downfall, it remains clear that Harbinger is an excellent manipulator and organizer of mortal minds. With a little time and effort, he is capable of focusing the needs and desires of the many into a single cohesive force, driven towards one objective. On a smaller scale, he is able to guide the actions of an individual with a careful suggestion here, a quiet observation there...

Youth is Relative: Though older than many might be able to believe, compared to the majority of Traitor Legionnaires he is quite young. Not only does this make him a junior to nearly any Chaos Space Marine he might run across purely on seniority, but his armor does not bear the adornments favored by servants of Chaos. In the confusion of pitched battle, some might even confuse the muted blue and green of his plain armor for that of a Loyalist Chapter.

Lonely Heart: As a Marine most usually sent out as a lone operative, Harbinger secretly hungers for the companionship of his mental and physical peers. He respects those who can hold their own in a fight or a debate equally, and is likely to take action to ensure that any member of the compact who he legitimately respects stays alive and functional. This is not an idea he would willingly voice, but one which his actions might make clear under the right circumstances.

Under Construction

Red Offerings

Would you be willing to allow an off-shoot for Dark Eldar?
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle.

Baalborn87

-INCOMING DATA TRANSMISSION-
-FAO: LORD INQUISITOR BARTROM (ORDO HERETICUS)-
-SENDER: FABRICATOR GENERAL ALTO. ADEPTUS MECHANICUM. CALIXIS SECTOR-
-CONTENTS: DETAILS OF "MAGOS" THULE (EXCOMUNICATE TRATORIS)-
-REQUIREMENT: PERSECUTION AND CAPTURE OF THULE IF POSSIBLE. EXECUTION IF NOT-
-THOUGHT OF THE DAY: A questioning servant is more dangerous than an ignorant heretic

NAME: Magos Thule (EXCOMMUNICATE TRATORIS)
AGE: Speculative (ESTIMATED 1.5 CENTURIES TERRAN MINIMUM)
KNOWN CYBERNETICS: Respiratory Upgrade. Cranial Implant (Including MIU Interface). Optical Implant. Arm and Hand Cyeberinetic (Right, with built in Multi-tool). Manipulator Mechendrite (Slight Combat ability. WARNING: Power output allows strength enough to crack blessed Ceremite). Internal Power reserves (CLASSIFIED). Torso adaptation allowing las weapons a near unlimited charge and removing the need to reload (provided they are connected).
PICT:
HISTORICAL DETAILS: Records state that Magos Thule (hereafter referred to as traitor Thule) was a promising fabricatior on one of the many Forge worlds that make up the Lathe Worlds stationed there for some time (Records conflict, but are estimated to be decades). In charge of a factorum producing Servitors for the use of the holy works of the Omnissiah. Majority of export comprised of combat models dispatched to (CLASSIFIED).
Observations of Magos' working alongside Traitor Thule state that Thule made frequent observations on the intelligence and logic matricese of servitors. Also states that Thule proceeded with work to increase the limitations placed on Servitor subjects . Criminals condemned to be upgraded provided by (CLASSIFIED). This bordered dangerously on sentience which has been banned under extremis by the, Fabricator General Of Mars. Thules subsequent fascination developed into an obsession. Producing a number of fully sentient Servitors and even machines (may the Omnissiah be merciful on their tortured souls). Upon discovery the effected machines and servitors were destroyed whilst reciting the holy rites of apesement and Thule was declared traitor and ordered to return to the Fabricator General of the Calaxis Sector for judgement. Upon failure to respond and unable to be located in the sector, Thule was declared excomunicate tratoris in his absence.
Possible sightings of Thule around an area known a the Screaming Vortex (citation needed) in recent decades suggest that Thule has thrown in his lot with renegades and traitors. What has happened in Thules absence can only be speculated at. But evidence suggests that research in the arcane and prohibited. Including possession (May the justice of the Omnissiah find Thule swiftly) have occurred.

May the Omnissiah bless your weapons and armour on this holy endevour

-TRANSMISSION ENDS-

ASPECTS (under edit)

The ends Justify the means
Thule believes that the only important thing is results. As such, he views allies as a means to an end. He will not go out of his way to aid an ally if it means distracting from
the mission at hand. He also will never end up subject to fear should an ally die or become seriously injured.

Idle Hands are the Devils playthings.
Thule, as with most of his kind is subject to an almost compunction to tinker and endlessly improve. As a result should Thule consciously go for more than 3 days without at least dismantling and rebuilding something, he becomes edgy and distracted and even violent. This also has the benefit that Thule is quite adept at "improving" items and equipment for himself and allies (improving the sights on a rifle, changing the power flow of energy weapons to improve damage/shot capacity or servos in power armour to improve agility).

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Red Offerings on June 07, 2013, 09:02:24 PM
Would you be willing to allow an off-shoot for Dark Eldar?

I think a Dark Eldar could work, though to a degree it would depend on the concept. What do you have in mind?

Cattle die, kinsmen die

HairyHeretic

And our Alpha Legionaire and Heretek Dark Mechanicus magos look well. I'll update the first post accordingly with the new characters.

Relatively fully fleshed out we now have
Kythia - Sgt. Kanya Dasliss, Ex Imperial Guard
Winterborn - Antillus Tacitus aka Harbinger, Alpha Legionaire
Baalborn87 - Magos Thule, Heretek Dark Mechanicus
SatanKlaus - Salazar Ibrahim Theodore Bartolomeus Vamos, Disgraced Noble
Terian - Hyperia Tertium, Mechanicus experimental combat unit

I've tagged a short description onto each character for convenience. If you'd like me to change it to something you feel more suitable, let me know :)

No sorcerers or psychers yet, but otherwise a reasonable mixture.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Winterborn

Would you mind switching Harbinger to (Undivided) please? My Khornate rageface comment was more of an OOC statement. Harbinger is the kind of guy who digs all the vagaries of life, be it death, war, beauty, or change.

HairyHeretic

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Terian

Group looks okay so far, if we can get a Psyker, we'll have most of the angles covered, and be ready to begin :)

Winterborn

Yeah, all these Tzeentchians and no psykers? What's up with that?

EDIT: Then again, I could do without the whole 'plague of raining blood' or Harbinger being turned inside out because stoopid warp-dabbler mispronounced an incantation.

HairyHeretic

It's all according to Tzeentchs plan, obviously ;)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Red Offerings

Quote from: HairyHeretic on June 08, 2013, 07:38:52 AM
I think a Dark Eldar could work, though to a degree it would depend on the concept. What do you have in mind?

I'll PM you with some thoughts shortly if you don't mind.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle.

HairyHeretic

Cattle die, kinsmen die

LuciusLeche

oh geeze, everything's advancing so quickly. This is a bad time to try to be moving to a new apartment ;_; I'll get a write up in here as soon as I can
"If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you." -Oscar Wilde

On's and Off's

More On's and Off's