News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Shadowrun 4A: Seattle Nights

Started by Jaded, May 16, 2013, 06:29:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Muse

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on May 19, 2013, 02:12:52 PM
Cool.

So, my first charbuild question...apparently Trolls with Bows are really scary things, but it looks like my rate of fire would be real low compared to carrying a gun because it takes 1 action to reload and 1 action to fire, effectively using up a full Complex Action to shoot a single arrow. Is there any bio/cyberware or Adept Power that makes Ready Weapon a Free Action, the way Nimble Fingers makes Insert Clip and Remove Clip Free Actions?

Glyph, there's a couple of good Adept powers like that in Street Magic. 

(Also a nice one called Sustencence.) 

Don't forget to get together a list of the things you want form non-20th aniversery edition sources adn send them to Jaded.  :) 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Sethala

So, I just noticed that there's actually a pacifist drawback I can take.  Would someone willing to get into non-lethal fights (fistfights, using primarily stun weapons when armed, etc) still "qualify" for it?

Muse

ISn't one of the versions of that drawback, "Won't kill"? 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Sethala

Yeah, but also specifies that she tries to avoid violence, so I wasn't sure if getting into fistfights would be "allowed"

Thorn14

Probably to control them only when needed, so maybe the crawler and one plane drone.

Otherwise they are there for support fire and recon.

ShadowFox89

Is this still looking for players?
Call me Shadow
My A/A

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Muse on May 19, 2013, 02:37:53 PM
Glyph, there's a couple of good Adept powers like that in Street Magic. 

(Also a nice one called Sustencence.) 

Don't forget to get together a list of the things you want form non-20th aniversery edition sources adn send them to Jaded.  :)

That's where I found Nimble Fingers. I couldn't find a power like the one I was hoping to find in Street Magic, so I was asking if anyone knew where I might find it if it existed.

Trilogy

Okay, I'm working on a character now but I have to look over the core book first. Just making sure people know I didn't disappear after one post  ;)

From what I know about the setting, and from a quick glance over things, I'm interested in making a Technomancer, if that would fit in this campaign (or wouldn't be too complicated for someone just starting out in Shadowrun.)

Sethala

Ok, planning out my character, current sheet-in-progress: http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=573486

Haven't given her a name yet, because names are hard damnit, but her backstory involves a frequent client saving her life.  Originally I planned on him (or her?) just doing it because finding someone that's trustworthy nowadays is pretty difficult, and it's easier to save her than to find someone to replace her, but I'm wondering if any of the other players want to take that role in her background.  Let me know if you want to come up with some connections like that.

I also noticed that there's rules for having roommates sharing a lifestyle (each extra person increases the cost by 10%), and was wondering if anyone wanted to say they're her roommate.

Jaded

Muse: Magician
TheGlyphstone: Physical Adept
AndyZ: Hacker
Sethala: Covert Ops
Thorn14: Sniper / Rigger?
Trilogy: Technomancer

Quote from: AndyZ on May 19, 2013, 02:09:25 PM
Do we know who, if anyone, is going to take driver?  Or will one be provided?  Not that Zed really needs one...

I'm not sure offhand, but for at least the first mission a driver would be provided.

Quote from: Sethala on May 19, 2013, 03:08:36 PM
So, I just noticed that there's actually a pacifist drawback I can take.  Would someone willing to get into non-lethal fights (fistfights, using primarily stun weapons when armed, etc) still "qualify" for it?

I'd probably say no.  If the character is willing to fight as anything but the last option, I don't think it would fit for them.  Of course, if they always try to go out of their way to avoid it (longer route or such when sneaking), and just use non-lethal when there is no other option, it would be fine. 

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on May 19, 2013, 05:44:31 PM
Is this still looking for players?

I might be convinced to go to seven if you are looking to play something we don't have. 

Quote from: Trilogy on May 19, 2013, 07:55:33 PM
Okay, I'm working on a character now but I have to look over the core book first. Just making sure people know I didn't disappear after one post  ;)

From what I know about the setting, and from a quick glance over things, I'm interested in making a Technomancer, if that would fit in this campaign (or wouldn't be too complicated for someone just starting out in Shadowrun.)

A Technomancer is fine, though may be some overlap with AndyZ I think.  I'm not sure if it would be too complicated for a new player.   ???

Quote from: Thorn14 on May 19, 2013, 04:51:39 PM
Probably to control them only when needed, so maybe the crawler and one plane drone.

Otherwise they are there for support fire and recon.

Don't forget you'll need somewhere to store/maintain them if you do go with any larger ones, as well as possibly to transport them. 

Muse

Name:  Cassandra Keisling/Fang
Metatype: Human   Ethnicity: Black
Height: 5’9”  Weight: 145
BOD:  3      CHA:  3
AGI:  3       INT:  3
REA:  3       LOG:  5
STR:  3       WIL:  5

Edge:  4
Essence:  6
Magic/Resonance:  4
Initiative:
Initiative Passes:
Matrix Initiative:
Astral Initiative:

SKILLS 
2   Arcana
1   Artisan: Writer
2   Assensing
1   Blades (Swords)
1   Dodge
1   Perception
1   Pilot (Motorcycle)
1   Rifles (Shotguns)

1   Athletics Skill Group
1   Conjuring Skill Group
1   Influence Skill Group
1   Stealth Skill Group
4   Sorcery Skill Group IV

N   English Language (24-15)
3   Japanese Language
3   Dance Clubs
3   History
3   Literature
3   Philosophy

QUALITIES
Negative
(5)   Day Job I
(5)   Dependent NPC (Roommate/Girlfriend “Hikari”) I
(10)   In Debt (15,000)
(5)   Lost Loved One (Dr. Kiesling)
(5)   SINer  (Cassandra Kiesling)
(5)   Signature (Snake Fang)
Qualities: Positive
(15)   Magician
(5)   Mentor Spirit: Wise Warrior

IDs / LIFESTYLES / CURRENCY
SIN 4   Katrina Jackson
SIN 2   Nicci White
SIN 2   Patricia Brown

Middle Lifestyle for 2, 2 Months. 

CONTACTS 
Contacts: 
3/2  Professor Damian Usher (Talismonger)
2/2  Michelle Dromond (Blogger)
2/2  Takahashi Kyou (Grabby Yakuza Lieutenant)

WEAPONS 
Remington 990 with Intigrated Smart Link
--Attack Pool:  8
--Damage, Slugs:  7P (AP-1)
--Damage, Fichte: 9P (AP +2)
--Mode:  S/A
--Ammo 8 (m)
--Flechette Rounds: 40 (2 Clips)
--Regular Amo: 40 (2 Clips)

Katana Weapon Focus II
--Attack Pool   8
--Damage      (Str/2+3P)=5
--Armor Piercing   -1
--Reach      1

ARMOUR 
6/6  Snug black leather urban explorer’s jump suit.

COMMLINK 
(Novatech Airware/Novatech Navi)
3  Response
3  Signal
3  Firewall
4  System

3  Analyze
3  Brouse
3  Comand
3  Edit
3  Reality Filter

--AR Gloves
--Electronic Paper
--Printer
--Sim Module
--Skin Link
--Trodes (Hat)
--RIDF Tags X10
--Stealth Tags X5

Ear Buds

Glasses IV
--Flame Compensation
--Image Link
--Low Light Vision
--Smart Link
--Vision Magnificaiton

AUGMENTATIONS 
Magic: 
Power Focus: Force II (Wolf's Fang bound in orichalcum chrods around her neck on a leather thong.) 
Sustaining Focus Force III (Combat Sense Sustained)
Weapon Focus Force II

SPELLS 
Combat
--Stun Bolt
Detection
--Combat Sense
--Mind Web
Health
--Heal
--Increase Reflexes
Illusion
--Improved Invisibility
--Orgy
Manipulation
--Influence

Gear 
--Autopicker V
--Grapple Gun
--Restraints, Plastic x10
--Survival Kit
--Tag Eraser
--Trauma Patch x2

VEHICLES 
Suzuki Mirage:

Negative
(5)   Day Job I
(5)   Dependent NPC (Roomate/Girlfriend) I
(10)   In Debt (15,000)
(5)   Lost Loved One (Dr. Kiesling)
(5)   SINer  (Cassandra Kiesling)
(5)   Signature (Snake Fang)

Qualities: Positive
(15)   Magician
(5)   Mentor Spirit: Wise Warrior

Cassandra Kiesling was rasied by her father, Professor Eric Kiesling.  (He's a fair skinned guy with light brown hair and beard.)  He and Cassandra's Mother were never married, separated when she was 5, and lost touch completely when she turned 13.  (She's 22 now.) 
   Eric was a professor of both Arcane Studies and Philosophy at a university.  Eric's blog aggravated a number of megacorp high ups.  A little over a year ago Eric published an article, "The Ouroboros Bites His Tail" wherein he extensively described the self destructive nature of the megacorps and the society they sustain--going so far as to ponder if Shadowrunners would accelerate the self destruction to the point where the world serpent--the corporations--would devour themselves without taking the world with them.  Two days later, he was abducted in the night and hasn't been seen since. 
   Cassandra doesn't known if he's dead or not, but she suspects that if their purpose were to silence him they would have showed some sort of sign of his fate. Fearing she would vanish next, Cassandra snagged all the resources she could and disappeared to Seattle. 
   In a part of town where the Yakuza had more power than the police--she got a job as an exotic dancer.  Under the name Katrina Jackson, she set up a new life and prepared herself to become a fang of the Ouroboros herself. 
   Upon discovering a minor free spirit with the ability to aspect it's domain to their shared paradigm of magic, she courted an arrangement with the spirit.  She took a loan from the Yakuza to buy the old house where the spirit had taken up residence and now lives there with a friend and sometimes lover of hers from the dance club--Hikari, a Japanese girl with neon blue hair. 
   She still owes the Yakuza 15,000, with 10% monthly interest. 
   Her Yakuza contact is a grabby young man named Takahashi Kyou. 
   She doesn't know a Johnson of her own yet, but is putting the word out that she'd like to run the shadows through Kyou, a student of her father's who is now a talismonger, and a gal friend who posts blogs. 
   She has also begun posting her own blog column--through a few layers of anonymity provided by her blogger friend, which she calls The Ouroboros Bites it's Tail," both as a statement and to draw out those who may still have her father.

AndyZ

I'll cede the role so Trilogy can play a Technomancer ^_^
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

ShadowFox89

Quote from: Jaded on May 20, 2013, 04:27:58 AM
I might be convinced to go to seven if you are looking to play something we don't have. 

Looks like about all you're missing is a driver/medic...
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Sethala

Quote from: Jaded on May 20, 2013, 04:27:58 AM
I'd probably say no.  If the character is willing to fight as anything but the last option, I don't think it would fit for them.  Of course, if they always try to go out of their way to avoid it (longer route or such when sneaking), and just use non-lethal when there is no other option, it would be fine. 

Yeah, I kinda figured.  Oh well, it was only 5 BP.

Currently trying to figure out how I want to spend skills and what I want to get.  Any suggestions from you guys?  Already putting a lot into Stealth group, Athletics group, Pistols (specializing in Tazers), and Unarmed Combat.  Possibly Influence group too.

Trilogy

Thanks AndyZ! ;D

I haven't had time to really get started on character creation but I do have a concept in mind, at least. She's going to be focused around technomancy and social skills- a 'net idol' online socialite who is much more timid/unassuming IRL, who's taken to running because of the lack of other ways to make a living/feed her online ego addiction as a Technomancer. So I won't step on anyone's combat toes, at least ;)

TheGlyphstone

Is there any scale or table in one of the books that estimates what ability or capability equates to what Attribute level? I saw a big chart in S20 about total dice pools in regards to skill comparisons, but nothing like, say, what IQ having a Logic attribute of 2 would reasonably be RPed as.

AndyZ

Quite welcome, Trilogy

Glyph, I believe a 3 in an attribute is average
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Flying Tengu

We don't have a face, right?  I was putting together a face.

EDIT:  Oh, oops, I thought I was being counted as one of the 6, but it looks like I'm not.  Well, I'll keep making my character, and keep me in mind if someone drops out?  Thanks!

Jaded

There is a spell called Orgy?

Quote from: AndyZ on May 20, 2013, 05:59:39 AM
I'll cede the role so Trilogy can play a Technomancer ^_^

Did you want to play something else instead?

Quote from: Sethala on May 20, 2013, 12:59:38 PM
Yeah, I kinda figured.  Oh well, it was only 5 BP.

Currently trying to figure out how I want to spend skills and what I want to get.  Any suggestions from you guys?  Already putting a lot into Stealth group, Athletics group, Pistols (specializing in Tazers), and Unarmed Combat.  Possibly Influence group too.

It would depend on how you see your character.  Those would probably be the key ones. 

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on May 20, 2013, 01:40:04 PM
Is there any scale or table in one of the books that estimates what ability or capability equates to what Attribute level? I saw a big chart in S20 about total dice pools in regards to skill comparisons, but nothing like, say, what IQ having a Logic attribute of 2 would reasonably be RPed as.

Page 67 lists human attributes (3 is average)

Quote from: Flying Tengu on May 20, 2013, 04:31:09 PM
We don't have a face, right?  I was putting together a face.

EDIT:  Oh, oops, I thought I was being counted as one of the 6, but it looks like I'm not.  Well, I'll keep making my character, and keep me in mind if someone drops out?  Thanks!

Sorry, I missed your message.  As we are lacking a Face as far as I know, you're welcome to join as one. 

AndyZ

Most of my other concepts would require inordinate amounts of alternate books, and I'm good with giving the last spot to Flying Tengu.

Orgy is in Street Magic.

Flying Tengu

Quote from: Jaded on May 20, 2013, 10:01:45 PM
Sorry, I missed your message.  As we are lacking a Face as far as I know, you're welcome to join as one.

Great!  Thanks very much!  I'll keep at it.  I've got an idea for a child of privilege gone rogue; a character with a strong upper-class background, who left the corporate upbringing for... some reason.

Sethala, as far as other skills, escape artist and locksmith might be useful for a thief, and key off of agility.  Hardware is also good for overcoming maglocks and similar security devices, but unfortunately keys off of logic, so that might be better off left to a mechanical sort.

TheGlyphstone

Is it strictly necessary for an adept to have stealth/athletics skills? I'm running kind of thin on BP, and while I could pick up some more Negative Qualities, I'm not sure if there's a game-or-GM-coded limit on how many bonus BP you can claim from negatives.

Sethala

Yeah, I'm thinking I might put a point or two into computers group, but it won't be a very strong one for me.

Right now, putting a hold on buying skills until I figure out what gear I want and figure out contacts, then I might tweak skills a bit more.

Jaded

Quote from: AndyZ on May 20, 2013, 10:08:25 PM
Most of my other concepts would require inordinate amounts of alternate books, and I'm good with giving the last spot to Flying Tengu.

Orgy is in Street Magic.

Thanks for pointing out the spell.  :-) 

Okay, sorry.  If you'd like to play a recurring villain or something you are welcome to.  What all books would be required for one of your alternate concepts?  I'm not entirely opposed to other books, I just like to know what is being used from where in advance of looking at the character sheet.

Quote from: Flying Tengu on May 20, 2013, 10:33:27 PM
Great!  Thanks very much!  I'll keep at it.  I've got an idea for a child of privilege gone rogue; a character with a strong upper-class background, who left the corporate upbringing for... some reason.

Sounds good.

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on May 20, 2013, 10:57:12 PM
Is it strictly necessary for an adept to have stealth/athletics skills? I'm running kind of thin on BP, and while I could pick up some more Negative Qualities, I'm not sure if there's a game-or-GM-coded limit on how many bonus BP you can claim from negatives.

35 I think is the limit, though that is off the top of my head.  I'm not sure it is required, though athletics at least would probably be helpful. 

TheGlyphstone

That means I can get another 20 BP, which would be 2 points of the Athletics skill group, so that works out well.

For a new player, would you allow the 10-point Amnesia quality? I generally consider amnesia to be a lazy way to get out of writing a background, and puts additional work on the GM, but it would let me fill in the blanks during game and simplify character creation.