CthulhuTECH: EVA and HPL s'mored in awesomesauce

Started by NotoriusBEN, January 08, 2012, 02:07:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShadowFox89

It's a minor thing. Hobbies are there to keep your character from snapping and going insane, which Ethnia will already have a problem with on account of her nightmares and short temper.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Aoife

Karaoke is a perfectly valid Hobby :D

As for my character, they basically are a crazy Ashcroft family offshoot with a bit too much time fiddling with the inner workings of D-Engines and associated technologies.  I may have been at work Engineering some new surprises...

muahahahahaha

ChaoticSky

It is!

In Keys case she likes dancing, probably did it erotically because it was easy money and its alot easier than getting a job on broadway or something more artsy, but shes not especially attached to that style any more than any other. In a ideal world, she would have been a dancer, but as is, she feels its ridiculous to pursue such a profession when theres a war on for our bloody survival, and it utterly blanks her that anyone would think differently.

ShadowFox89

I think Ethnia will have always been trained to be a soldier. Fighting is the only thing she knows, though outside of the cockpit she would be rather quiet and shy.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

ReijiTabibito

Well, in terms of 'fast mechs' I've got a couple of choices.  The Auphan is a recon Engel capable of speeds to catch the fastest flying Migou mech (the Dragonfly, only 1 mecha is faster, and that's on the ground), and of course, beating the shit out of it.  If I'm going to be driving an Engel, the Auphan would be it.

On the other hand, being a mecha pilot means I'd get to drive all the Nazzadi mecha, and probably a few Sword-class ones, as well.  And the Nazzadi interceptor is the fastest armor out there, period.

EDIT:  Advice, please?

Muse

A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

ReijiTabibito

Indeed.  Speed is going to be key, I think.  Muse, you said Sean's Kakarembo was a stealth mech.  You decided which one, yet?

ChaoticSky

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on January 19, 2012, 04:08:28 PM
Well, in terms of 'fast mechs' I've got a couple of choices.  The Auphan is a recon Engel capable of speeds to catch the fastest flying Migou mech (the Dragonfly, only 1 mecha is faster, and that's on the ground), and of course, beating the shit out of it.  If I'm going to be driving an Engel, the Auphan would be it.

On the other hand, being a mecha pilot means I'd get to drive all the Nazzadi mecha, and probably a few Sword-class ones, as well.  And the Nazzadi interceptor is the fastest armor out there, period.

EDIT:  Advice, please?
the way it looks to me;
Auphan: Power, Armour
Brushfire: Speed, Regen

the Auphan is undoubtedly the harder hitter of the two, while the Brushfire is faster, the Auphan has more armour and integrity, while the Brushfire regens faster (3, auphan has 2). Additionally, the Auphan is better kitted for close combat, mandibles with acid are nothing to laugh at, and the fog could help keep enemy fire off its back while it chews on some migou. While the Brushfire has superior utility, with its manipulator arms, escape pod, grave bombs and lightning gun

ReijiTabibito

There's one piece of info missing from your analysis.  Being a mech pilot (and thus a Brushfire preference) means that I can drive any of the mecha aboard the Victory.  If we need speed, then I can use the Brushfire.  On the other hand, if we're expecting heavy resistance, but not much in the way of speed, then I can pick a Blizzard or a Claymore.

If I go with the Auphan, though, that's basically the only thing I get to drive, due to how Engels work.

ChaoticSky

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on January 19, 2012, 04:53:17 PM
There's one piece of info missing from your analysis.  Being a mech pilot (and thus a Brushfire preference) means that I can drive any of the mecha aboard the Victory.  If we need speed, then I can use the Brushfire.  On the other hand, if we're expecting heavy resistance, but not much in the way of speed, then I can pick a Blizzard or a Claymore.

If I go with the Auphan, though, that's basically the only thing I get to drive, due to how Engels work.
True to a point, i dont think they leave spare blizzards laying around, but if you could gets your hands on one sure. So you going mechpilot then?

Muse

Rapier and Eclipse are your sugestions? I'll look them up.  Are they in the core book?

Sean's big on stealth with this book. 

The word Kakarembo is the title of a Hide and Seek anime. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

ReijiTabibito

Possibly.  The Auphan has 3 things in its favor as it stands.

1 - Armor.  Yes, the Nazzadi mechs have more regen due to higher DCS.  But the Auphan has, generally speaking, 1 more die worth of armor in both Trauma and Projectile category compared to most Nazzadi mechs.  Even the heaviest Nazzadi armor is 2/2, where the Auphan is 2/3.  And sometimes being able to prevent damage is far more important than being able to fix it.

2 - Sensors.  We don't really have a sensory armor in the group.  Meaning if we run into stuff like Dragonflies or Silverfish, they can wait to ambush us.  And ambush is one of the deadliest things in CTech, as I've found out from running the game in real life, since your defense roll is automatically 0.

3 - Engels, because of Regeneration, have only half the repair time of a standard armor.

Muse:  No, the Rapier and the Eclipse are the only mecha with a Stealth system that allows them to be hidden.  And yes, they're in the core book.

Muse

I'm kind of leaning towards the eclipse for it's blend of speed and stealth.  It looks like the rapier has slightly better sensors. 

Can anyone give me a quick primer? 

ReijiTabibito

Okay.  Here's how the Eclipse and the Rapier stack up against each other.

Eclipse: Better speeds, on both the ground and the air.  The Lightning Gun the Eclipse carries is capable of hitting all targets within a 25 yd radius of wherever you fire it, meaning it's an excellent weapon for taking out groups, whereas the Rapier's Laser Cannon can only fire on 1 target per shot.  The Eclipse's Hyperedge Claws/Acid Drip combo also do better damage than the Rapier's Hyperedge Spurs at close range.  And actually the Eclipse has a just as many sensors as the Rapier does, though it's Targeting is 1 point less than the Rapier.

Rapier: The Rapier has better stat adjustments to the pilot's characteristics than the Eclipse - boosting Agility by 2 and Perception by 1.  The Rapier is also more durable than the Eclipse, its Integrity 10 (compared to Eclipse's Integrity 5) allowing it to take twice as much damage before it expires.  And while the Rapier's Laser Cannon doesn't do as much damage as the Eclipse's Lightning Gun, the Laser Cannon holds on longer, having a higher Failure Code - it fails at Critical Damage, whereas the Lightning Gun fails at Medium.

The real question is what you want to do with your mecha.  Eclipse is excellent for making hit-and-run attacks, using the Lightning Gun to damage multiple opponents, and then run away so it can set up another ambush.  The Rapier, on the other hand, might be able to last in a battle where the Eclipse can't.

ChaoticSky

Should also add, dont feel this is the end-of for you, being a mech pilot, your a just a person in a cockpit, if you choose one and decide later on you want to do the other instead, you could probably get yourself permanently switched over with alittle good RPing. Only Engle pilots like me are stuck with our choice. So which pick whichever seems best, and wait untill you get a feel for it before worrying.

I spent hours debating between the Seraphim and the Chashmal specifically because i cant change later.

ReijiTabibito

Which is precisely why the game designers made the Engels as awesome as possible, to cover up for the fact that Mech Pilots get variety and Engel drivers don't.

Muse

Smiles. 

Kakarembo must clearly be an Eclipse then.  :) 

Hide and seek.  Tag, you 4 are it...  If you survived the lightning damage, that is. 

NotoriusBEN

Quote from: Darkling on January 19, 2012, 09:16:21 AM
Oh I'm sure it does, atleased as a supporting skill, though one could probably make the case that singing from a script alone or with a few friends in a small room is radically different from singing your own songs to a real audience on a stage, in either case i was just kidding. Unless Ben has a devious plan, were probably the only ones youll ever end up singing for anyway. Dont change her on my account!

Macross 7 is awesome

Muse

By the by, folks.  I've got two people lined up for my hypothetical Eldritch Society game.  Anyone in here interested?

Especially Ben.  I try to give my GMs first choice at my own games. 

ReijiTabibito

Quote from: Muse on January 19, 2012, 05:50:59 PM
Smiles. 

Kakarembo must clearly be an Eclipse then.  :) 

Hide and seek.  Tag, you 4 are it...  If you survived the lightning damage, that is.

Just be warned.  The Lighting Gun has a fairly short range for a projectile weapon, and because you're a size Small mecha, it doesn't do that much damage.  You'll be relying on your Stealth System to get the drop on the enemy a lot for anything more than piddling damage.

To compensate for this lack of damage potential, you'll want to carry a handheld Charge Beam, which can really dish out the punishment, stealth or no.

ChaoticSky

ReijiTabibito

Quote from: Muse on January 19, 2012, 05:55:59 PM
  By the by, folks.  I've got two people lined up for my hypothetical Eldritch Society game.  Anyone in here interested?

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Is this the same hypothetical Eldritch Society game that I was in, off E?

ShadowFox89

Quote from: Muse on January 19, 2012, 05:55:59 PM

I would be down for that.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Aoife

Oooo.... Yes for sure.  Eldritch society sounds amazing!

As for us Mech Pilots, remember that your Pilot skill level determine show many vehicles you can actually pilot.  If you're a Student, you can only choose one vehicle class.  At Master you can alternate between 5.  Just remember that, and you'll be fine ;)

ChaoticSky

I might also be interested, would need more details though.