Sowing Seeds (3.5 D&D, story driven, lgbt friendly)

Started by SmilingFox, December 18, 2014, 12:51:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhantomPistoleer

Also, if accepted, I would be more than happy to have a pre-arranged friendship/storyline with other characters.  This character is super social.
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

CarnivalOfTheGoat

Had a few minutes to myself. Decided Mr. Tibbs was not all that interesting so I reverted to another "thing I have always wanted to try" and am cooking up a knight.

Yeah, I know Crusaders are the best tanks. Fun > super-optimized, IMHO.

I have two quick questions:

First, the Knight's Code, as I read it, does not mandate "Lawful" alignment (but the class does, for no apparent reason) can I play a Neutral Good knight who still respects the Code?

Second, did I miss a message repealing the "no homebrew" rule? Because I didn't see if flaws were ok, so I checked some of the submitted characters, and some people seem to be using homebrew flaws for their characters, just at a quick glance.

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:
Savage Worlds of My Little Pony <- Just what it says. Free supplement for SW. (Or any other MLP RP!!! :D)
Eclipse Phase <- Posthuman grit SF, open source, downloadable from their web site. VERY deep worldbuilding.
Cold City <- Espionage meets the Lovecraftian supernatural. Allies in post-war Berlin chasing down the results of secret Nazi experiments
a|state <- Post-apocalyptic sort-of-steampunk, sort-of-high tech roleplay in a massive, decaying, broken-down city-state.

PhantomPistoleer

Good luck running a knight, Carnival.

I really, really love the idea, but I've never gotten it to work out.
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

Zaer Darkwail

Knights are good tanks also, albeit Crusader is bit better thanks maneuvers they get and able soak things better. But you can pick couple maneuvers as a Knight ;). Iron Guard's Glare being most important one though (it's stance from first level).

Anyways I used homebrew flaw, there is Feeble flaw (-2 to all physical stat rolls), I made 'Dumb' flaw which gave -3 to Int and Wis (I wanted keep Cha without penalty on the rolls so made penalty to mental stats to compensate). If GM does not like that much of a mixture then can pick another flaw (weak will could work or take -2 hit on wisdom).

Ixy

I've always been critical of the alignment system, personally. I'd hope that the D.M. could work around it with you.

Side note, I'm not a mechanics buff, so if something looks off, please let me know. I try to just pick up a couple cool tricks and focus on interaction.

Zaer Darkwail

I can give you tips to make your knight viable :). So far most important in my mind is to get shield specialization + shield ward feats from PHB II. As it raises your shield granted AC by +1 (I have same feat) and shield ward adds shield bonus to touch AC and allows add it to any resist rolls vs bull rush, overrun, trip etc.

Also pick two martial study feats to get iron guard's glare (vanguard strike is best maneuver to learn as it gives untyped +4 bonus to hit target you hit). That's four feats and thus human knight can get them all without flaws. Other races need take at least one flaw to get them (and if take two, then got one feat to spare).

Another method how to control foes is by picking impervious command and have maxed out intimidate (and never outnumbered skill trick from complete scoundrel). It allows scare bunch of foes unable act 1 round and then be 1 round shaken. Add a frightening enchant to armor for intimidate bonus and able demoralize in move action you get solid 'crowd control' ability besides class granted ones.

But Knight overall has some nice abilities to lure foes to hit you so you do not need them as much...more as need improve chances to survive your foes and exploit their focus on you (combat reflex+hold the line is viable choice as well). Also can go for classic knight image in mounted combat + spirited charge + ride by attack, you get some these feats as bonus feats after all.

CarnivalOfTheGoat

Quote from: PhantomPistoleer on December 27, 2014, 01:21:31 AM
Good luck running a knight, Carnival.

I really, really love the idea, but I've never gotten it to work out.

I'm not worried about making him a perfectly optimized MMO-style tank, which may make it easier for me to have him work out to my expectations.

It's going to be a game with a lot of social elements so I am trying (or hoping to try) something different:

Knight <-- must be a lawful alignment.
Bard <-- any non-lawful alignment.

= young Valondean mercenary who always wanted to be a troubadour.

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:
Savage Worlds of My Little Pony <- Just what it says. Free supplement for SW. (Or any other MLP RP!!! :D)
Eclipse Phase <- Posthuman grit SF, open source, downloadable from their web site. VERY deep worldbuilding.
Cold City <- Espionage meets the Lovecraftian supernatural. Allies in post-war Berlin chasing down the results of secret Nazi experiments
a|state <- Post-apocalyptic sort-of-steampunk, sort-of-high tech roleplay in a massive, decaying, broken-down city-state.

SmilingFox

I'm fine with you playing a Neutral Good knight, if that's what you wish.

The others done so far look great. I believe, including Carnival's Knight that makes 5? In which case, I'll start the game once her character sheet is in.

Zaer Darkwail

So with that your okay with the slightly custom flaw what my char has? As Carnival asked this;

Quote from: CarnivalOfTheGoat on December 27, 2014, 01:10:18 AM
Second, did I miss a message repealing the "no homebrew" rule? Because I didn't see if flaws were ok, so I checked some of the submitted characters, and some people seem to be using homebrew flaws for their characters, just at a quick glance.

As my flaw is same as Feeble, but it gives -3 to two mental stats (so numbers wise same amount of penalty). Custom flaws are up to GM's approval and I intent roleplay my char to be very dumb (but is at least charismatic fool). Plan take bit inspiration from Minsc from Baldur's Gate series to play him.

SmilingFox

Ah, right. While I tend to dislike flaws in general, I suppose for a roleplay/story driven game I'm more willing to allow them. As for homebrew ones...

I'm hesitant, mostly because in the case of Zaer's I find it very difficult to roleplay a 'dumb' character without swaying into the territory of an aggravatingly flanderized 'idiot', or worse, something horribly offensive to those with mental disabilities.

If there's any way you can work without that flaw, Zaer, I'd prefer it.

Zaer Darkwail

Ok, I go with standard -2 to wisdom as a flaw then. Anyways I had planned play it along lines of Minsc from Baldur's Gate series (if speak dumb levels). Not as Lilarcor (the talking intelligent sword which in life was grand scale moron).

Chulanowa

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on December 27, 2014, 12:28:13 PM
Ok, I go with standard -2 to wisdom as a flaw then. Anyways I had planned play it along lines of Minsc from Baldur's Gate series (if speak dumb levels). Not as Lilarcor (the talking intelligent sword which in life was grand scale moron).

if anyone is going to have a hamster named Boo, it's gonna be my druid, mmmkay?

Zaer Darkwail

You keep your hamsters, I will have white mouse with sun mark in it's back and I call it Pelor's mouse knight.

Snake

a knight on the business end of a baleful polymorph?

Bibliophilia

Shani is officially complete, including gold-spending.  I sunk 900 gp into various items one would expect her to have, without actually listing them on the sheet.

-wriggles with excitement.-  I can't wait to start.

Chulanowa

Bibliophilia

-snickers.-  She's a lesser Aasimar Oracle.  Not a puppy girl ninja!

PhantomPistoleer

Quote from: Bibliophilia on December 27, 2014, 01:46:52 PM
Shani is officially complete, including gold-spending.  I sunk 900 gp into various items one would expect her to have, without actually listing them on the sheet.

-wriggles with excitement.-  I can't wait to start.

I'm sort of glad that I only ended up with 45 gold pieces left.  I have a tendency to micro-manage gear.  o_o
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

SmilingFox

Right, miscounted, we have 6 characters done/mostly done:

Phantom
Bibliophilia
Chulanowa
Carnival
Zaer
and Ixy.

That's... A bit more than I was expecting, but not more than I can handle at least. Snake, you're more than welcome to come along for the ride, but I'm not sure I'll be able to cram your character in as well. Perhaps you can create one anyways, on the off chance someone drops?

Snake

That's what I'll do. Sorry I didn't come up with one sooner. been swamped lately and I can't quite decide what woul dbe good.

Zaer Darkwail

Quote from: Snake on December 27, 2014, 01:20:49 PM
a knight on the business end of a baleful polymorph?

Maybe or it's Pelor blessed mouse. Give or take from words of a man who charges trees thinking them being threatening treants. Also get visions during the fight when he start do some minor miracles on fly.

Snake

PhantomPistoleer

Yay!  We can now make concrete background history plans!
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

SmilingFox

Right-o, the OOC thread is now up and running. Post your character sheets there when you're able to.

No rush though, Carnival, you're welcome to join in as soon as your sheet is done.

Link: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=220405.0