Sha'ib: City of Mazes (Arabian Nights/Fantasy Sandbox LGBT Accepting Characters)

Started by Crash, February 22, 2015, 03:19:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MdG

Quote from: Dhi on February 26, 2015, 06:15:09 PM
Between being elves, having natural dark complexion to deal with the veldt sun, and possibly inspired by Zulu, it would not surprise me at all to see Nafasi with the girls out.

Agreed, which is exactly why I chose my PC pic. You would expect a male tribal warrior from the tropics to go barechested, so there is a definite cultural double standard in feeling the need to put women in bikinis.

Crash

I was originally going to put ears on the pic Yesiroleplay is using, but I prefer players to get dibs on art first.

"Sorry, you must survive at least 3 games with me before we can chat like this."
Congratulations, you've unlocked Flirtatious Crash! - Envious

Paladin101

Quote from: Paladin101 on February 26, 2015, 09:41:28 AM
Dhi, was thinking your character and mine could have met, perhaps be friends or at least acquaintances. Since mine serves as a guide from the city to the Bedu tribes and does a lot of traveling he could have helped guide you to some oasis in the past, or gone with you to go resolve a dispute at a distant tribes oasis? Just a thought. :)

Dhi, any interest in our characters being old acquaintances?

Dhi

Oops! Let me get back to you with ideas later tonight. Right now I have a D&D game starting.

Ouroboros

I am also always interested in making ties for what it's worth - especially as my acceptance at present is contingent on getting ties with people. ;)
Semi-Relevant Information
wants and needs | apologies and absences  | ons and offs

Crash

Quote from: Ouroboros on February 26, 2015, 07:57:43 PM
I am also always interested in making ties for what it's worth - especially as my acceptance at present is contingent on getting ties with people. ;)

Or just making them NPC's

"Sorry, you must survive at least 3 games with me before we can chat like this."

Ouroboros

Yeah but that's no fun. :P

(Given the dearth of other Djaffir though...)
Semi-Relevant Information
wants and needs | apologies and absences  | ons and offs

yesiroleplay

Quote from: Dhi on February 26, 2015, 05:41:51 PM
Part of the idea with Majidah being a white elephant is that Majidah's former master (whoever that is, an emir maybe) is keeping Farrah in his pocket by loaning her the money to care for Majidah. He's essentially still paying for Majidah's expenses, but now Farrah is indebted to him for doing so. Customs for moneylending probably demand that Farrah pay a personal visit and stay for every hospitality, so she may have met Ablah this way!
From Majidah's background after she changed it...
Quote from: RedPhoenix on February 25, 2015, 10:50:01 PM
Fate, however, had other things in mind. he priestess Farrah bint Khaleel had taken over monitoring the water use near to him and was immovable through threats or bribery. So the Emir, listening to certain advice, decided to make her a gift she couldn't possibly afford to ruin her. He gave her Majidah, sending the confused concubine to the spartan madrasa that the Bull of Apsu resided in, with a perfumed message of peace and friendship.
It seems the Emir's plan is to bury Farrah deeply into debt to him.  A powerful obligation.

Crash

Name: Amrita-Devi
Player: Crash
Concept:  Spirit-Questing Nafasi Elf
Trouble:  Stranger in a strange land
Sex: Female
Orientation: Lesbian
On’s: Players On’s
Off’s: Players Off’s
Race or People: Nafasi Elf

Appearance:
Hair: Long straight red hair
Eyes: Dark Brown
Height: 5’6”
Weight: 110 lbs

Description: Lithe and willowy Amrita-Devi has little fat on her body and muscular legs that can eat up miles.  Her tribe is known on the Veldt for their running ability and stamina. Among her tribe there are few that could beat her in a race of speed or stamina.  Amrita decorates her body in pigments befitting her spirit quest giving her already exotic look a fierce appearance.  The Nafasi have no taboos against being bare of chest but Amrita has taken to covering her body in old clothing since arriving in Sha’ib.  She finds the human’s conservatism strange, but understands the need to navigate their culture and bows to this social convention.

One Unique Thing:  Amrita’s red hair is unusual among the Nafasi.  A sign of a special destiny, though what that destiny was her Shaman could not tell her.

Personality: Curious and confused are often expressions the residence of Sha’ib receive when talking to Amrita-Devi.  The young Nafasi Elf does not understand why the Hadaree use so many words to say so little and comes off as pretty blunt to the people of Sha’ib.  She is aware that her ways are as strange to them as theirs are to her, but her ancestors lead her to Sha’ib for a reason and she is determined to stay until she understands why.  Amrita-Devi has had to lean the value of coin as in the Veldt it was the size of your Basuro herd that defined one’s wealth.  Amrita-Devi makes some money as a guide for merchants wanting to trade with the people of the Veldt.

Skills: Running, Hunting, Spear-fighting, Survival (Veldt), Spirit Medium

Residence: Amrita-Devi stays in one of the empty homes in an unpopulated neighborhood, often sleeping on one of the roofs so she can be under the stars.  She is aware that she is not alone in empty neighborhood, but is not yet sure what stalks the streets at night.

History:

The Tale of Duzami and the Great Race

One day, the village held a great race. All the young men and women competed, and many of the people made bets on the runners they believed would win. The race was very close, and Duzami, the village's swiftest runner, ran ahead of only one other man. When Duzami passed the finishing tree that many others had touched before him, he did not seem winded, nor was there a sheen of sweat on his skin. The Screaming Elder walked up to Duzami and cursed him, for he had bet all of his food that Duzami would win. But Duzami only shrugged at the Screaming Elder and walked away.

That night, a terrible gitta rampaged through the jungle. Every Nafasi in the village fled from the thing, including Duzami and the Screaming Elder. As Duzami ran, he saw that the Screaming Elder was right behind him, shouting angrily at him as always.

"Why do you not run faster, Duzami?" the Elder shouted. "The gitta is right behind us!"

Duzami did not speak, but kept up his steady pace. When he heard the gitta catch the Screaming Elder, Duzami yelled over his shoulder, "You do not have to be first to win the race. You must only out run one man."

Too late, the Screaming Elder recognized Duzami's wisdom as the gitta ate him.

The Duzami Tribe has always been runners and the tale above is a favorite of many of the young Nafasi of the Duzami Tribe.  For Devi they were words that rang true.  Even as a child she was swift runner able to beat children much older than herself, but often chose not to flaunt her gift.  It was better to use a gift when it is most important and not for personal pride.   Devi ran messages between villages as soon as she could wield a spear and the sight of her wild red hair in the tall grass became synonymous with news from the elders.  This reputation only grew when one of the Honored Dead chose her as her personal envoy when she reached her twenties and she became a full member of her tribe.

The Honored Dead or Amrita-Chiokowa taught Devi the ways of the spirits, how to channel her ancestors and speak to them in dreams. She was given the honorific Amerita so that others would know she was accepted in the Lodge of the Dead.  She did the bidding of the Amrita-Chiokowa for a brief twenty more years before the Amrita released Devi from her duties.  Devi, concerned that she had offended the Amrita, begged the Honored Dead as to why she was being released before her training could be completed.  The Amrita could only tell her that her path was elsewhere, that she should seek the guidance of her ancestors and follow the path they lay before her wherever that may lead.

Devi followed her path to Sha’ib where her ancestor’s voices fell silent.  She is not sure if they cannot enter this strange land of silk covered strangers or if she has reached her destination.  Uncomfortable with the strange customs of the city dwellers Devi has taken up residence in one of the underpopulated sections of Sha’ib where the few that survive their leave each other to their own devices.  Devi earns money as a part time guide into the Veldt for merchants looking to trade with the Nafasi and the Domadh.  She refused to guide hunters into her lands to kill animals for sport.

Equipment:
Mismatched armor
Nafasi Hunting Spear with new steel tip.
Janbiya (Curved Dagger)
Pigments
Medicinal Herbs
Ancestral knuckle bones
A small amount of coin in a pouch she keeps tied around her neck.

MdG

Crash, some ideas I had on the Nafasi I thought I might pass by you:

- Multi-gendered society, with biological sex subordinate to social role.  Generally, Nafasi find it difficult to understand human societies where gender roles are dictated by biology.

- Unlike most Elves they are not lactose intolerant. They have adapted to live closely with the Great Basuro, and, like the Masai, the milk and blood of their livestock are staple foods.

- Names are given by ancestors, so naming taboos abound.

Crash

Quote from: MdG on February 26, 2015, 10:07:20 PM
Crash, some ideas I had on the Nafasi I thought I might pass by you:

- Multi-gendered society, with biological sex subordinate to social role.  Generally, Nafasi find it difficult to understand human societies where gender roles are dictated by biology.

- Unlike most Elves they are not lactose intolerant. They have adapted to live closely with the Great Basuro, and, like the Masai, the milk and blood of their livestock are staple foods.

- Names are given by ancestors, so naming taboos abound.

I am good with all of this.

Crash

Dhi

Quote from: Paladin101 on February 26, 2015, 06:40:12 PM
Dhi, any interest in our characters being old acquaintances?
Too tired tonight, I'll get back to you on this tomorrow. Tomorrow, I will do everything and more.

Crash

Paladin101

Quote from: Dhi on February 27, 2015, 12:02:39 AM
Too tired tonight, I'll get back to you on this tomorrow. Tomorrow, I will do everything and more.

No worries. :)

MdG

Crash, sorry I forgot to mention that I'd be happy to work in some interaction between my PC and Devi. I'm still working on her personality and background at the moment, but hope to have this finalised later today (my time).

Anyone else who would like to discuss, let me know.

Separately, I figured the Basuro would be a bit like Cape Buffalo, with the "Great" part suggesting that it may be particularly unwise to tangle with one.

la dame en noir

I don't know if I missed this, but - Do the Nafasi people practice magic in any form? Maybe similar to voodoo of west african cultures?
Games(Group & 1x1): 7 | Post Rate: 1 - 6 days | Availability: Actively looking!
A&A | FxF |
O/Os | FxF Writers Directory

Paladin101

Based on what I read in the beginning post Nefasi practice a variation of Khem-Hekau magic, speaking to the dead, returning people to life, things like that. Unless I'm reading shit wrong. Which is quite possible. lol

Sabre

Looks like a fun game in the making. Is there room for a Djaffir merchant, one whose fingers slip where they shouldn't? Someone who gets into trouble with either the underworld, the upper class black market, or just as a fence, procurator, and lender for the other players?

Amarlo

Name: N’ebthe [Neh’beh-th-ee]
Player: Amarlo
Concept:  Lost Nefasi  Shaman
Trouble:  <Unable to conceive. Has such heightened senses when it comes to spirits that she can sometimes lose herself to the close proximity of the spirit realm overlapping their own. She is also afflicted with poor sight and has been separated from her tribe during a raid.>
Sex: Female.
Orientation: Straight
On’s: O/os
Off’s: Anything bathroom related, mind control, extreme pain.
Race or People: Nefasi

Appearance:
Hair: Raven
Eyes:  Amethyst
Height: 5’4”
Weight: 125lbs

Description:
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

One Unique Thing: Though she is weak of vision her lavender eyes saved her from a life of bigotry amongst her people, marking her for greater things on the path of Shamanism.

Personality:

Skills: Mediumship(Spiritual perception), Hekau(Primarily Ritualistic), Holistic Medicine, Cooking, Butchery.

Residence: None currently.

History: N’ebthe was prepped  to be a shaman since the day she left her mother’s womb. It was clear even from the day of her first breath that she was mostly blind; however the shaman recognized the way the youngling studied her surroundings like something invisible to their own eyes was there. Luckily for the disabled child this meant growing up an apprentice to the high shaman, himself. It offered a luxury of certain protections but did not completely save her from the ire of other children. Children will be children after all.

She learned a great deal of things from this man and his collaborators while, much to their surprise, N’ebe  proved herself a gifted study despite her obvious disadvantages. She was a determined young lady, willful and always held her head high. Her voice held strength, her gait held a swagger of unwavering confidence and it was because of this that none could even think to focus on anything but her strengths. Not only did she show an affinity for learning the arts but also retained a creativity no longer typical amongst their traditional ways – probably because she lacked their traditional perceptions. She couldn’t see on the same wavelength as the rest of her tribe, why would she think on it? While adamantly respected N’ebe was still strange even among her own people – that didn’t stop their faith in her though.

She is no longer a simple shaman’s apprentice but his equal and was meant to become his successor had it not been for the raiders that attacked their temporary settlement. She knows not where any of her family are, nor did she have the luck of escaping with another of her tribe. She was one of those unlucky few that did get left behind but did not parish. She was captured and taken, traded multiple times over among the slavers for her rare qualities until finally she ended up at the sitting for hopefully what would be here final sale.

Equipment:
This really more so depends on where she starts out.. I’m open to suggestions, could even have her amongst captured individuals meant to be sold as slaves.

Seduce my mind and my body will follow.
Amarlo's O&Os
Absences and Apologies

la dame en noir

Would love to see what everyone thought about these pics. Trying to find one for my character since I think I might change my idea. I'm going to pick a real photo and art for my character. I was originally going go with just this, but I use that image a lot. Sooo she's up for grabs if anyone wants her.

Real - 4 is my current fav
Art - 1 is my current fav

X X X X

Art Photos

One Two Three Four Five Six
A&A | FxF |

Dhi

On how Rashid and Farrah know each other:
Farrah has probably needed a guide to the desert to find oases, but that's a pretty tenuous connection and I think we can form a stronger one if you're interested.

Throughout her life Farrah has been visited by her uncles, men of the al-Farani Bedu who see her as an asset to the family who might be polished up and married off. In her adult life she's gone to visit the al-Farani to find her roots, and would have needed not only a guide, but someone to introduce her to the intricacies of Bedu culture and stand in her corner. Since Farrah's aunts were all married to nearby tribes, it might even be possible that Farrah and Rashid are cousins (if his mother is an al-Farani warrior maiden) or second cousins once removed (if an al-Farani married one of his aunts or uncles).

Quote from: la dame en noir on February 27, 2015, 03:03:08 AM
Would love to see what everyone thought about these pics. Trying to find one for my character since I think I might change my idea. I'm going to pick a real photo and art for my character. I was originally going go with just this, but I use that image a lot. Sooo she's up for grabs if anyone wants her.

X X X X

Art Photos

Your favorites are pretty much mine too. 4 out of your illustrations is fierce, I love her. I like 6 as well, though she suggests to me a very different type of character, someone comfortable in a palace rather than a Nafasi from the veldt.

All of the illustrations are evocative and have their own personality. For the photos, it's hard to make them not seem contemporary or costumed, but I do like your favorite.

la dame en noir

@Dhi: Thank you darlin. Your input is always welcome :3 It'll be hard for me to not have my character go after yours lol....I should probably just make her straight. >.>
A&A | FxF |

Amarlo

Quote from: la dame en noir on February 27, 2015, 03:03:08 AM

X X X X

Art Photos

I like the 3rd illustration for certain, however I think you may like this photo better than the ones you currently have.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/b9/37/9b/b9379b46082f1709b9700456e7bda7ed.jpg

Seduce my mind and my body will follow.
Amarlo's O&Os
Absences and Apologies

Dhi

Quote from: la dame en noir on February 27, 2015, 05:20:31 AM
@Dhi: Thank you darlin. Your input is always welcome :3 It'll be hard for me to not have my character go after yours lol....I should probably just make her straight. >.>
Oh! What a waste for the long-suffering ladies of Sha'ib that would be. :'(