We Need Anime Recommendations

Started by Aragem, January 14, 2016, 06:07:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aragem

Hello, my friend and I are looking for an anime we can binge watch in one day.  He lives an hour away and with our schedules its not possible for me to visit him whenever and we talked about finding something we can binge watch and he would prefer it to be an anime series.

The anime series we've binge watched before and LOVED was

• Monster
  • Death Note (one of his faves)
  • Another
  • Shiki
  • Now and Then, Here and There
  • Prison School
  • One Punch Man (we loved it!)
  • School Live!

Since I have more experience with anime, he's left it up to me to find the anime for us to watch, but the he's picky about the anime.
- No silly anime.  He doesn't like nonsensical anime that relies on Super Deform moments for comedy like School Rumble.

- Slice of Life is okay, but it has to have more to the plot than dating problems and life issues.

- Little to no fan service.  We began liking High School of the Dead, until the gratuitous fan service ruined it for us.  (In case you don't know, boobs bouncing around defying physics or gravity or just too enormous to be real it, and we see more boobs and panty shots than we do zombies.)

- No harems, unless they have a really good story and good characters and it's not centered around who the guy is going to choose.  But that isn't to say that we will reject a romance anime.

Okay, now that I've gone over what we don't like, here is what we DO like.

- Fantasy/Science Fiction.  This is our bread and butter right here. 

- Mystery/Intrigue.  My friend LOVES the cat and mouse play in Death Note.

- Horror.  We liked Another and Shiki.

-Above all, we care most about plot, story, and characters. 

We need to anime to be 10 to 25 eps long so we can finish it one day.  Anything over 25 to 26 is pushing it for us.  Also, we would prefer the anime to have a complete story.  Beginning, Middle, and an ending.  Not something that covers just the first part of a manga.     

I'm compiling a list of anime that I think he might like.  Here's what's on the list already.  I plan on emailing him a list of anime so he can look at reviews and choose the one he may like the best. 

Gosick

Noein

Song

Attack on Titan comes to mind.

And Gantz, but has some nudity and adult themes, isn't your typical anime, really. Hit and miss.

My RP requests: Join the Space gldiators in Requiem For Mankind

O/O

Aragem

Forgot about that one. Can't wait for season 2.

Drake Valentine

"When I'm Done With You, You'll Be a:
Raped, Bloody, And Humiliated, Little Alice in Wonderland."

Introduction | O&Os | O&Os2 | IM RP Request(Canceled 04/11/2010) | A&As(Updated 10/29/13) | Solo RP Request (Updated 09/20/14)
Pale Eclipse - Group Game Project{Paused} 

Yukina

-Puella Magi Madoka Magica (The horror aspects slowly build up just as a warning though)
-Death Parade
-Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn
-Mobile Suit Gundam: 08th MS Team
-When Supernatural Battles Become Commonplace (It's a harem, but it focuses more on the comedy and characters than the romance to be honest)

CaptainNexus616

Gurren Lagann! I'm not a big anime fan but that one definitely comes to mind.

You will go on a feels train along with all the over the top epic mecha moments.

Granted there is one character that while appearance wise is there for fan service she is actually a good character.

There are times the show will make you want to quit but its worth hanging in there for the whole ride.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

Oniya

Cowboy Bebop?  There's a little fanservice, but mostly in completely unimportant places (there's a TV announcer who is a busty ditz that makes some commentary that usually sends the team searching for their next bounty).  The major characters are rough but likable, there's usually some sort of mystery or chase scene, a good soundtrack - and Ein.

"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Skynet

I haven't seen Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex recommended yet.

It's a really cool and deep cyberpunk story, which actually examines some interesting social effects of technology (such as meme theory) all amidst the backdrop of a counter-terrorism police agency in a futuristic Tokyo.  There is not much fanservice unless you count the main character's outfit, although the camera never pans over her body like a voyeur.  There's also one episode where she infiltrates a high-society club of folks who have robot doll "girlfriends," but aside from this the show overall is less pervy than most anime out nowadays.

Lustful Bride

I recommend Yukikaze if you want a nice Action show with alittle bit of drama and some interesting concepts.

It follows a fighter pilot who seems to have given into Nihilism after seeing a lot of his wingmates and fellow pilots killed in an airwar with alien invaders. Only they come from another dimension, not another planet. And the times we engage them we literally have no idea what we are looking at, where the machine ends and where the alien begins. It is something truly unknown to us.

I wont give spoilers away but its fascinating and I wish it was longer. Its inspired by a book that has been called the "Starship Troopers" (Book, not the movie) of the East and id agree. (Though I haven't read the book.)

MasterOfWhispers

Mobile Suit Gundam Iron Blooded Orphans. If haven't watched a Gundam or a Mecha series ever then this show is pretty good entry for it.

Some of my other Recs...

Code Geass
Baccano
Kekkai Sensen
Utawarerumuno
Erased (This one is ongoing)
Heroic Legend of Arslan.
Berserk (T.V Series There is also a movie series I reccomend you watch the T.V though)
Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood.
Little Witch Academia. (From the creators of Gurren Lagann and Kill la Kill)
Golden Time
Tora Dora.
Durarara

There are several more but this list is off the top of my head.
On and Offs

"How do you write like you're running out of time? Write day and Night like you're running out of time"- Hamilton Musical