Live Action (Robotech!)

Started by Hunter, March 21, 2008, 09:08:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hunter

Aelfric

Hmmm... As much as I have fond childhood memories of the anime port/melange known as Robotech, I would almost prefer a return to the original Macross, or something 'new' in the Macross universe ('Zero' and 'Plus' were such good vibrant and new stories that something in that vein would be very appealing)

That said... I think there are great possibilities there. And Toby did such an excellent job on Parker/Spiderman it will be hard to resist. Maybe he can convince Raimi to direct. :)
You change all the lead sleeping in my head to gold. - Tunnels, Arcade Fire

Elohim

Hopefully,  this won't follow in the foot steps of the live action EVA movie or the Live action Akira movies.

Hunter

Quite honestly, as long as they don't butcher the music (i.e. they get someone who can actually SING) I'll be happy.

Elohim

If this is being made by Hollywood chances are it won't have a single song from the anime.

King_Furby

I liked the novels better then the anime but i think they should be able to do something good with robotech. they will just have to be careful to do it right and not butcher the overall story.

I have been wanting to see a more american adapition for awhile. i would like to see english songs used. Oh god watch them get hannah montanna to sing the songs lol.

rainshadow

Rumors originally started swirling of this just prior to the release of last summer's Transformers. If Transformers did well, it was said that Hollywood would sart scooping up all kinds of giant robot sci-fi flicks. Robotech and Voltron were both were mentioned a lot. I don't have the high hopes for this as I did for Transformers, b/c I don't know the story all that well (or much at all, for that matter)... but if it has giant fighting robots, I'm sure I'll enjoy it all right.
"The ticket to the future is always open. What happens in the future is our own responsibility." - Rem, Trigun

"Nothing says 'I hate war' like a good explosion in a populated area." -rainshadow

HairyHeretic

Quote from: King_Furby on March 21, 2008, 10:20:52 PM
I have been wanting to see a more american adapition for awhile.

What do you mean by a more American adaptation? I never saw the anime, though I did read the novels.

Come to think of it, how do you even cut the original Robotech down to a single movie?
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

rainshadow

Hollywood doesn't work by single movies anymore. They are going to want to franchise this and make as many Robotech movies as people will pay to see.
"The ticket to the future is always open. What happens in the future is our own responsibility." - Rem, Trigun

"Nothing says 'I hate war' like a good explosion in a populated area." -rainshadow

King_Furby

Quote from: hairyheretic on March 22, 2008, 11:01:17 AM
What do you mean by a more American adaptation? I never saw the anime, though I did read the novels.

Come to think of it, how do you even cut the original Robotech down to a single movie?

What i meant by american adaptation was an adaptation made by Hollywood. I think they can cut it down quite nicely. They don't need to fully explore the robotech verse. They can just tell a part of it, i read the novels and they could make several movies. the first movie will be like the first book i bet. But they may also twist it some for new audiences which i think would be nice. I don't want it to strickly follow the anime or novels.

rainshadow

You need look no further than the Transformers movie to see what approach may be taken. While Bay attempted to stay loyal to the source material overall, as far as the mythos is concerned, he and the film makers also told their own story. Robotech creators will certainly pay attention to the source material, but they'll make the story their own, as well. It won't be the same Robotech that most people know.