Jailbreaking Kindle Paperwhite.. Has anybody tried this ?

Started by misterspock2, May 25, 2015, 10:42:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

misterspock2

http://www.epubor.com/how-to-jailbreak-kindle-paperwhite.html

I plan to go for the Kindle Paperwhite and I have a collection of epub ebooks as I had been a Nook user till date. The above link says you can jailbreak Kindle Paperwhite and install epub reader to read epub ebooks. Has anyone tried this ? If so, what are the precautions to be taken or is it simple as a breeze? Kindly comment ..

Jag

I've never done this myself and do not recommend it. I used to work for Amazon and was very involved in the Kindle department. It is very easy to mess up 'jailbreaking' a kindle and turning it into a useless brick. If that happens, Amazon will show no pity on you and they will not repair, replace, or even assist you with the device in any capacity. It voids the warranty completely. I had more than one call from someone attempting to do this with their pretty, shiny, $300+, new Kindle HDX and having to tell them that they will just need to get a new device.

Kindles cannot read Nook books and Nooks cannot read Kindle books. It's sad, but that's how the devices are programmed.

If you want to try to jailbreak it, just do so knowing that it can turn the device into a pretty paperweight.

You're better off trying to download the Nook reader from Google Play and attempting to sideload it onto the Kindle. At least Amazon can help you factory reset or remove it if it doesn't work. Most Google Play apps will work on the device, but you have to sideload it. Warning though, I worked primarily with the Fire devices. I don't know much about the Paperwhites, so I'm not entirely sure if you can even put apps on it.

Good luck with whatever you end up trying.
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

Rogue

Calibre is a good file converter and works as a library manager and eReader on your computer and has the ability to convert unlocked epubs into Kindle format. it's a much safer route than trying to completely dismantle your software as Jagerin said.

misterspock2

Thanks Guys for your inputs. As an afterthought I'll refrain from doing the Jailbreak thing and try conversion with Calibre.

Lilias

If you'd rather not download Calibre, there are online converters as well. I recommend this one.
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Mar 30) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

misterspock2

Thanks Lilias, This works fine as an option to Calibre.