Serenity RPG campaign

Started by Elven Sex Goddess, February 20, 2008, 12:51:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RubySlippers

Noted. Its not biggy I couldn't find places to spend all those points in any case, I like lower powered people more real.

Oh I forget which stas most effect social skills like conversation and seduction?

Here is what I have so far:

ASSETS
-Allure (major)
-Friends in High Places (minor)
-Friends in Low Places (minor)
-Registered Companion (minor)
-Sweet and Cheerful (minor)

~going for the hot looking and approachable companion not uptight but fun to be with and with oogles of connections some up on top and other from her family background~

COMPLICATION
-Credo: Code Against Killing Except in Self-defense (minor)  ~not fond of violence but if she is in danger like from Reavers all bets are off if such can't be avoided using other tactics~
-Loyal: The Guild (minor)
-Loyal: Niska Family (minor)
-Memorable (minor)  ~Inara had this and frankly she likes repeat business so kind of fits and she is gorgeous and fun to be with.~
-Prejudice: By Guild Members Educated in the Central Planets (minor)  ~is to these grand ladies very undertrained and provincial for the title so faces prejudice from them~

ATTRIBUTES (2 left)
-Agility (1d6)
-Strength (1d6)
-Vitality (1d6)
-Alertness (1d8)
-Intelligence (1d8)
-Willpower (1d8)
I think I did these right if so I have one 1d10 I can place where it will do the most damage in a good way.)

LordAnubis

Will power if your going to be influency and seductive.

And predjudice is the reverse.  There are people you can't stand and think they are not worth your time.

RubySlippers

I'm had two GM's do it either way and frankly its up to her if she allows it but it fits, even Inara and she was worldly as hell for a Companion, commented the Companions at the school were undertrained by her standards (from the central planets). So its likely they would as a rule not treat her as a proper Companion and might actually be catty about her getting clients. Of course her view is they are utterly arrogant and have no clue what life is like out in the border of the Alliance it takes more than just looks and charms but connections and being adaptable. Like the whole refusing a client because their aura is not right is stupid its about the money and making contacts if its a client others might refuse its one she can add to her list. Unless they have a black mark in the Registry even she must respect Guild law and custom to some degree.

So I for one could go either way on this its more likely they will not like her even if she is an asset to the Guild to fill a need and she would not like them as a rule (unless she gets to know them or they are well like Inara) as following an impractical business model. She is a Niska after all she is as ruthless as her father in her profession just far less violent and more ravishing doing it.

Rayve13

Still need to buy stuff, but here's what I have so far:

Name: Jefferson Atrello (a-tray-yo)

Attributes:
Agility d8
Strength d6
Vitality d6
Alertness d8
Intelligence d6
Willpower d8
Initiative: d6 + d8
Life Points: 16

Traits:
Tough as Nails (minor asset): Jeff has learned to take a punch and keep dishin' 'em out.
Leadership (major asset): Though he has a more quiet and aloof demeanour than he once did, Jeff is still capable of bringing out the best in those who work with him.
Steady Calm (major asset): He lost his calm once, and lost damn near everything. Never again.
Nose for Trouble (minor asset): After what he's been through, Jeff has an almost unnatural ability to spot a bad situation. Or he's just paranoid and makes that work for him.
Credo (major complication): Fear made him take the "easy" road before, but he can't go back there again. He'll lie to everyone about why he won't let his crewmembers be lost (including himself), but in the end he just can't leave them again.
Memorable (minor complication): Stark white hair is strange on a young man, and the livid scar across his left cheek makes his a face you just don't forget.
Hooked (minor complication, tobacco): He won't drink again, but Jeff still needs something to calm his nerves. The pipe is his prefered method, but he'll take what he can get.
Phobia (minor complication, big blades): Seeing a man's limbs hacked off can make you a bit nervous around a big blade. In this case, it did.
Traumatic Flashes (minor complication): Sometimes there are things you just can't forget. Jeff's mistakes plague him, and sometimes they demand attention at the worst times.

Skills:
Athletics d4
Discipline d6 
- leadership d10
Artistry d2
Guns d6
- rifles d10
- pistols d8
Influence d4
Linguist d4
Perception d6
- intuition d10
- deduction d8
Pilot d6
Mechanical Engineering d4
Unarmed Combat d4

Equipment:
NewTech rifle (120 credits) stage up damage (d10) & enhanced magazine (45 rounds)
- This is a high powered flechette rifle, firing slivers of depleted uranium at high velocity called the Manticore. Jeff bought it for protection following the incident, and carries it basically everywhere. It looks like a sleek black rifle with the trigger located near the front and a clip of ammunition behind that (bullpup configuration).
Pistol (18 credits)
Plate vest (30 credits)
Balistic mesh long coat (46 credits)
500 rounds pistol ammo (10 credits)
2000 rounds rifle ammo (80 credits)
Stun baton (12 credits)
Brass knuckles (.8 credits, woven into gloves)
Personal Access Cortex Terminal (100 credits)
Data Library, standard (22.8 credits)
Debugger (20 credits)

Cash: 290.4 credits

Appearance: Jeff is not the biggest person in most situations. He's of average height and average weight. He tends to dress in dark colors, usually those unconnected with either side of the Alliance/Independent conflict. But he is hard to miss due to his stark white hair and a thin diagonal scar running horizontally across his left cheek. The hair he was born with, the scar is a reminder of something he'd like to forget. He typically carries both his rifle and his pistol, the former slung across his back, the later at his hip. His skin tone is slightly dark, a product of his mixed Hispanic heritage.

History: Born on Beaumonde, Jeff started life in a farming community, but his family moved almost immediately to the city to find a "better life". That better life meant factory work, a life Jeff quickly discovered he had no interest in. He took to hanging around the docks, talking to crewmen and getting an idea about life in the black. The more he heard, the more he wanted to be there too, and one day he just didn't come home, waiting until he was far away to send word back. He started as a cook's assistant before working into a position as mechanic's helper, then training as a pilot before finally being promoted to first mate. His crew worked as a neutral trade vessel during the Unification War, though they were more sympathetic to the Independents than they were the Alliance. It wasn't long after the war that Jeff became the captain. And it wasn't long after that when he and his crew set down at an outpost on the Rim for a little R&R. Something didn't seem right about what was going on, but the crew needed downtime. And so they went to the bar and drank, with Jeff ignoring the growing feeling that things were going to go horribly wrong. And then the worst possible thing happened. The Reavers came. Most everything is blurry after that. He knows that they managed to hide, and that the Reaver group who found them must have been the last ones out before they left the outpost town. He remembers his mechanic being cut into pieces. He remembers throwing a grenade into a mass that contained at least two of his own crewmen before he fled. It was days before he really came back to himself, on another planet, his ship sold and himself filthy and nearly broke, a line of stitches in his cheek that he didn't remember getting (a shrapnel wound when the grenade went off). It was at that moment that he changed. He knows it was his fault things turned out the way they did. He quit drinking, and started to work his way back into life, selling his services. He was not the man he was. The laughing, friendly captain of old had been replaced by a much more distant, hard edged man. He tries to keep himself distant from his crew, but inside he knows he will never allow what happened before to happen again.

Update: Added equipment

Elven Sex Goddess

Ok first on your gal Rubyslippers.   Nice concept, points look good with the one minor exception.  Your assets do not match up to complications or other points from attributes.  As a major is 4pts and minor 2 pts.  You have a total of 12 spent in assets and 10 in complications and none from the 42 all spent on attributes.  My suggestion is the non fighting credo with exception of reavers should be a major complication.   Skills need them.   

Rayve13 character is over spent on the attributes by 12 points at 54 pts (42 is greenhorn), skills look good. As does your traits of assets and complications.   

Through both of you don't forget to do your secondary attributes of initiative and life points.

Rubyslippers

initiative d6 + d8
Life points 14

Rayve13  the initiative is agility + alertness,  life points vitality + willpower.

Also both don't forget to buy equipment.   

Elven Sex Goddess

On the complication prejudice.  I see it and read it as one's own prejudice.   Yet I can also see it working the other way.  I would see a religiousity type especially in the Christain or Islam aspect.  To be the ones prejudice towards a register companion (cough cough harlot).  So can see it as working that way in complications. 

Elven Sex Goddess

Still 2 pts over hun with attributes Rayvee13 and your life points should be 16.  The asset tough as nails gives a +2 to it.   

Rayve13

Sorry, had it right for figuring Initiative, but forgot to change it on the stat line.

Elven Sex Goddess

No sweat hun, it all looks good.  Great character.    ;)

RubySlippers

That's ok I will touch up the character but if I go for not a fighting type she is going all the way on it no killing any sentient creature, leave out knocking out and shooting kneecaps if necessary.  ;)

I'm just checking the points out and seeing if the first part was ok, its not a complete character yet.

Elven Sex Goddess

I would like to note on  equipping your characters with equipment.  That illegal items can be purchased at creation.  However, I only ask that such items be kept with in the realm of the character concept.   A socialite is not going to purchase a grenade launcher or a squad killer missile.  Plus that you have the contacts with such traits within applicable assets. 

Also in thinking of your character background.  Consider yourself a part of the ship crew.  At least for a few months to have established loyalties for such complications as being loyal.    As the basic gist and tone of the campaign is to follow the deeds and exploits of a ship and its crew.   

The game will be put up in a a day or so in NCNS - Non-Consensual Normal System. 

Finally their is room for one more player and the most glaring need it looks like is the ship's medic from what I am seeing.

RubySlippers

I was curious I don't see any non-lethal guns how much would a Taser Gun cost you know like we have now maybe more advanced that firess a wire connected to a powerful electrical charge battery or a self-contained dart that does the same thing. She may be against killing now tazering is well an option. ;)

Its supposed to be centuries in the future they must have such technology pretty much around by now. Not talking a laser weapon just a tazer like weapon that would let her defend herself. Reavers might be a problem however...

Elven Sex Goddess

Here RubySlippers 

Taser - Damage d8 S, Range increments 10', Max ROF/Charges  2/10, Cost €18 (credits), Weight 2 lbs, Availability E

HairyHeretic

Another option you could take is martial arts. My old Serenity character was an ex-Browncoat medic, a somewhat devout buddhist who wouldn't kill, but had about d10 or d12 in martial arts. I explained it was Aikido he studied, so he could still defend himself, even if he wouldn't hurt others (deliberately).

He was also something of a lech who'd chase anything in a skirt, but that's another story  :D Come to think of it he'd probably fit in quite nicely here.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Elven Sex Goddess

QuoteHe was also something of a lech who'd chase anything in a skirt, but that's another story  Cheesy Come to think of it he'd probably fit in quite nicely here.

Hun your more then welcome to join.  Though if going to work the same character concept.  Need him to start at greenhorn, if want to play the medic aboard the crew. 

LordAnubis

Quote from: RubySlippers on February 22, 2008, 12:44:57 PM
I was curious I don't see any non-lethal guns how much would a Taser Gun cost you know like we have now maybe more advanced that firess a wire connected to a powerful electrical charge battery or a self-contained dart that does the same thing. She may be against killing now tazering is well an option. ;)

Its supposed to be centuries in the future they must have such technology pretty much around by now. Not talking a laser weapon just a tazer like weapon that would let her defend herself. Reavers might be a problem however...

You also have the sonic rifle

d8S range 15 ROF/Mag 2/50 140 credits.  Just need a reason to have a gun usually meant for core world cops.

also stun baton
d2 12 credits.

Best part about them is all damage is in stun, even the damage form beeting their defense.

Also gas grenades for 3d6

And kotine posion.  1d8of stun a round.

For the non lethals.

LordAnubis

Took longer then I thought to be able to sit down and write up his bckground info

Name: Deacon Rothchild
Appearance:
   Deacon looks like any number of scruffy mechanics you see in the back of a firefly or in a non Alliance space dock.  He has shoulder length black hair that would look nice if he ever did anything with it.  He is usually in the middle stages between having a beard and clean shaven, varying shades of scruff as he trims it when it begins to itch, but doesn’t try to completely shave it clean.  His best quality is  his eyes, a deep azure blue.  Most women who see them wish they could put those eyes in someone else, given his usual need to clean up.  He usually wears his miniaturized armor under a set of dirty cover all, so he doesn’t make them a mess, but is ready for any surprises, a little hard to move around.  If a girl could clean him up he’d look pretty respectable and if she kept him from talking would fit right in with the society types, if you had enough to blackmail him into going.

History:
Deacon Rothchild, of the Osirus Rothchilds, has been a bit of a black sheep for the family.  He is very smart, but he seemed to lack some of the social graces the rest of his family had naturally.  His natural talent for fixing or building things, while impressive, didn’t fit too well with the family’s social climbing, so an arrangement was made.  The family gave him access to the family accounts to do with what he wished, as long as he kept  clear of the society circles and tried to keep out of the cortex news reports for anything questionable.    He rarely if ever introduces himself as Deacon Rothchild, usually just Deacon, and brushes off attempts at getting his last name, or says Smith.
As far as the crew is concerned, he was already on the ship when they were hired, working on the systems, making sure everything was up and running.  Depending on how much work the crew did before they signed up on the ship they might have heard of him, he was a fairly accomplished ship Mechanic and during the war kept a number of Browncoat shuttles running.  He wouldn’t set foot on them when they left, but he was a safe one to go to for an emergency fix usually only charging costs.  He didn’t agree with the alliance, but wasn’t going to take up real arms against them.
Deacon doesn’t have many contacts on the shadier side of things, but his name might occasionally come up along the lines of “the engineer who is looking for a block aid runner,” though what he actually wants it for is up for speculations.
Strength      6
Agility         8
Vitality          6
Alertness       6
Intelligence      10
Will power      8

Skill   points   Specialty
Mech   6   
repair      8
Create      8

tech   6   
repair      8
Create      8
hacking      8

Precip   4   
Medical   2   

Guns   6   
Rifles      8

Influence   6   

Accounting   8
Linguistics   4   
Pilot   2   
athletics   6   

Survival   4   

(complications)
Amorous (minor)
They are women, they are beautiful and he doesn’t see a reason not to be attached to them.  Granted his unilateral attraction might cause some issues, but he just can’t help himself sometimes.
Credo (major)
He won’t harm innocent people, directly or indirectly.  Stealing credits from a bank or alliance payroll is fine, medicines from a colony suffering from a plague is not. 
Exploitation is not okay, under any circumstance.
Corrupt officials should not get away with it, regardless of what the law says.
Straight shooter (minor)
He has never been much of a liar, and while he knows sometimes there are things people don’t need to be informed of, but those can be dodged by misdirection instead of lying.  If you lie, it’s because you’re not smart enough to work around it.
Hooked (Major) (smoker)
He has spent the better part of his life working on ships as a mechanic on the rim worlds, sometimes you just need a smoke to calm your nerves, and once you start it’s hard to stop. He is up to two packs a day at this point.
Memorable (minor)
He has a rugged look about him and the smell of smoke makes him easy to remember.  Not to mention his occasional lack of tact when it comes to conversations.  Most people who talk to him for any length of time remember him.

Assets
Talented (Tech engineering)(major)  since he was little he has always had a knack for  technology, he just understood how circuits worked and he picked up on the advanced classes quickly.
Math whiz(minor)  If it involved numbers he has had an easy time understanding it.  He just needed to get a look at the problem and it seemed like everything just clicked before his eyes.
Moneyed (major) It is not something he has shared with the crew, but his family is fairly wealthy.  He is given access to the family fortune as long as he doesn’t make appearances at the social functions of the inner planets.  A deal he is more than willing to make.
Friends in high places (minor) His family is willing to use its influence to help him out, as long as he continues with the arrangement agreed upon.  They haven’t yet had to fight over anything since what they want him to avoid he’d gladly do.
Gear
Vac case for sniper
Gun cleaning kit
Newtech plate vest (full body, enhanced wounds 5W, miniaturized to look more like normal clothes)
Personal access cortex terminal
Fed band Scanner
Cutting torch
Tools
   Basic
   New tech x2 Electronic (+1 step  when used, minturized)
   Mechanic
10X scrapper gel
New Tech Assault rifle (Magnetic firing(no flash or bang.  Fires in space) +1 damage step ROF increased to 5)
Ammo 2000 rifle rounds.

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Asherah on February 22, 2008, 07:04:09 PM
Hun your more then welcome to join.  Though if going to work the same character concept.  Need him to start at greenhorn, if want to play the medic aboard the crew. 

I appreciate the offer, but I have to wonder if I'm already strecthing myself on games. It takes me more time than I'd like to post on everything I'm playing in presently, and while I always have more ideas for games, I'm not sure I have the time to do justice to them.

How often would you want to see posting in this one?
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Elven Sex Goddess

That would depend on the group.  Through I say, safe to say at least once a day as general guide.  Give or take a day or two here and there.  However, nothing is set in stone.  For the most part I figure let the pace be dictated by the whole of the group. 

RubySlippers

Quote from: LordAnubis on February 23, 2008, 04:05:34 AM
You also have the sonic rifle

d8S range 15 ROF/Mag 2/50 140 credits.  Just need a reason to have a gun usually meant for core world cops.

also stun baton
d2 12 credits.

Best part about them is all damage is in stun, even the damage form beeting their defense.

Also gas grenades for 3d6

And kotine posion.  1d8of stun a round.

For the non lethals.

Sorry she needs somethin small, portable and with range she is no soldier, just make up something you can't tell me simple technology we use now is not available maybe more advanced a bit in the future. She is a Companion and likely not to fight much I hope but its kind of silly not to carry something under her dress in a leg holster just in case or in a purse.

Just not riot gear.

Rayve13

As far as equipment goes, a couple of quick questions:
- For NewTech weapons, how do you figure out the ammo costs? And in general, how does one build a NewTech device (i.e. how many modifications do you allow per cost multiplier level).
- Is there anything we need for the ship, or is that already built and commissioned and all that?

I'll try to flesh that stuff out tonight!

The Great Triangle

I might be interested in playing the ship's medic, my basic character concept would be a low life "chop shop" sort of surgeon who performs unlicenced medical procedures.  He grew up on the street, but managed to be one of the lucky ones, raised by a gang of organized thugs and getting excellent grades in school and going to medical school on a scholarship.  Unfortunately, under pressure from his old life, he helped provide his "family" with painkillers and other narcotics from the medical school, and was kicked out. 

He then put his medical skills to use fixing up injured street soldiers of the crime syndacate, but after a "change of management" his role was redefined to include removing the organs of those who failed to pay their debts.  Unable to do this because of his hippocratic oath, he ran for the nearest ship with an open crew slot for a man with medical skills.
Meow!  I'm a kitty; made of fire.

Ons and Offs

The Great Triangle

Heres my Character Design:

Ying Ran

Height: 6' 4''
Weight: 168 lbs.

Description: Ran is a very tall and thin asain man with long black hair and terrible teeth, he rarely goes anywhere without his trusty combat knife, which he prefers to display prominently when legal.     

Assets:
Tough as Nails (minor): Although it was not as bad as it could have been, Ran had a terrible childhood, and toughened up quite a bit from the experience.
Highly Educated (minor): Ran performed very well in school, and tends to speak very eloquently as a result, tending to offend and confuse the lowlifes he now tends to work with and around.
Intimidatin' Manner (minor): With his height and the look in his eyes, Ran definately isn't the kind of guy one would want to mess with.  Add in his skill with the knife, and he becomes terrifying.
Heavy Tolerance (minor): The one benefit Ran has gained from his years of drug abuse is an incredible ability to shake off poisons and the negative effects of drugs.
Steady Calm (major): Thanks to his experiences and nature, Ran can work just as effectively ankle deep in a pool of blood on the middle of a battlefeild as he can in the best lit and secured operating room on the core worlds.

Complications:
Chip on the Shoulder (Organized Crime) (minor): Ran does not like the Yakuza for their immoral behavior, and has grown to distrust organized crime in general.
Credo (Hippocratic Oath) (minor): The hippocratic oath is important to Ran, and in the context of his duties he will refuse to engage in euthenasia or refuse treatment to an injured person merely because he is an enemy.
Sadistic (Major): This may be his stance as a doctor, but not as a human being; in combat Ran endevors to make the killing blow, and has something of a dark side in other things as well.
Hooked (Stimulants) (major): In college, Ran got addicted to Methanphetamine, and has pretty much required stimulants of one kind or another every day since.  When he can get away with it, he's even injected himself with adrenaline once or twice.
Deadly Enemy (Yakuza) (minor): The organized crime syndacate which he refused to work for stil holds a grudge against him for his blatant disrespect, and will make little effort to spare his life if they have him at their mercy.

Agility d6
Strength d8
Vitality d6
Alertness d6
Intellegence d10
Willpower d8

Athletics d6
Dodge d10
Running d8

Covert d6
Steetwise d8

Dicipline d4

Medical Expertise d6
Forensics d8
Pharmacology d8
General Medicine d10
Sugery d10

Knowledge d4

Melee Weapon Combat d6
Knives d10

Scientigic Expertise d4

Unarmed Combat d4

Posessions: Combat Knife, Feild Surgery Kit, Drugs
Meow!  I'm a kitty; made of fire.

Ons and Offs

Elven Sex Goddess

Quote from: Rayve13 on February 23, 2008, 04:07:39 PM
As far as equipment goes, a couple of quick questions:
- For NewTech weapons, how do you figure out the ammo costs? And in general, how does one build a NewTech device (i.e. how many modifications do you allow per cost multiplier level).
- Is there anything we need for the ship, or is that already built and commissioned and all that?

I'll try to flesh that stuff out tonight!

Ok the general rule of thumb for ammo is .02 credits in cost.  So a clip of ten would cost 1 credit. 

Now in regards to cost multipier level. It is pretty self explanatory in what the level of multiplier is applied.  But the rule of thumb is one.  For example you want to 2 step advance the damage of your weapon.  That is a x4 mod in cost.  However you also want to double the clip in amount of rounds it holds.  That would be another x4 to the multiplier. 

Now on new tech items, as with equipping with illegal gear.  The character should have either/or both the skills to create or obtain such new tech gear with assets.  Such as friends in high places. 

QuoteHeres my Character Design:

Ying Ran

Great Triangle the character looks good.  Welcome to the campaign. 

Rayve13

x2 modifier NewTech is listed as not too difficult to find, just expensive. Would that be reasonable for me, even though I don't have contacts? Or a single piece of more advanced New Tech (Jeff is paranoid about attack, and went weapon shopping after he got his nerve back).