[Exalted] Darker Tides - West - Interest Check

Started by Kanen, May 31, 2011, 10:05:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kanen

So this is an shout out to gauge interest for an Exalted game I am aiming to run. 

Setting: The West, why?  Cause boats are neat.  The setting will take place during 'normal' exalted stories, just shortly after the disappearance of the Scarlet Empress and anything currently in the West book is valid as far as 'current events'.  Solar Exalts in the world will be 'young'.  A brief note on the major factions in the West:

Wavecrest: An archipelago on the southern end of the western islands.  The islands of Wavecrest are the most fertile islands in the West due to a series of volcanoes, volcano gods, (ancient first age artifacts), and frequent sacrifices to said gods.  The roles of men and women are split socially.  Women tend to any of the land based activities while men deal with the sea.  Wavecrest towns are ruled by mayors who in turn elect the Feathered One whose duties include promoting commerce, choosing an admiral of the fleet, and keeping harmony between the islands.  Wavecrest is also home to the Western Trade Alliance, which has sprung up to compete against the Guild when it comes to trade in the West.  Currently the nation is engaged with a 'cold war' with Coral, massing ships.  They are a satrap of the Realm, but the Realm takes a more passive role there.

Coral: An archipelago on the Northern end of the Western islands.  Coral doesn't have the fertility that Wavecrest has and live mainly off of the seas and tributes of other islands / nations.  Due to this fact, women have taken a backseat role in the society and are treated as 'lesser beings'.  Coral openly supports national pirates and privateers as long as it isn't against allies, however, half of all a captain's haul is claimed by the Sea Lord.  With this influx of money and the tributes from 'protected' nations, there are no official taxes.  The Sea Lord is elected by the Plutocrats, those of great wealth, of the various islands.  His duty is to keep the islands fed and defended as well as being the High Priest of the Ocean Father.  The Guild has a heavier presence in Coral than the rest of the West.  Heavy slave trade comes through Coral.  There is no Realm presence in Coral.

The Neck:   A series of smaller islands which the locals refer to as Okeanos (once a large land mass that sank into the sea during a cataclysm).  Life in the neck ranges wildly depending on where you are.  The people of Neck have descended from one of five tribes.  Though they are more intermingled now, it's still how they govern.  A patriarchal society where chieftains are elected and then required to marry a woman from each other tribe.  The center of the Neck is Solid Shell which houses the Coral Palace and is pretty much the hub of the nation.  They are also a satrap of the Realm.

Skullstone: Skullstone a large shadownland that spans multiple islands.  Skullstone supports a good deal of living and dead residents and spreads the believe that life after death is an acceptable, if not better, existence.  Currently ruled by the Silver Prince, Skullstone does some moderate trading around the area.

Lintha: The Lintha are an old race of demon blooded that, as far as everyone is concerned, roam the seas loot and raiding.  They are said to be cannibals as well.

Denzik Merchants:   A floating conglomeration of ships which act as both a city and a company.  They are known for their wealth and get rich quick schemes.  Their society is very much run like a company.

Tya: In short: women who have chosen to live the life of a man, recognized as such.

Types of Exalted: Solars and Lunars.  I'd like to keep it simple as far as group dynamics.  No complicating things with Infernal or Abyssal Exalts. 

Game Play: I'm not a big fan of heavy handed plot.  I tend to enjoy running and playing in games where the story is based around the characters and not the characters simply involved in a story.  So in short, there will be a plot, but it is not a sweeping river where you either go with the current or get tossed aside.  However, the downside to this is if characters (and players) do not have strong motivations then they tend to be uninspired.

What I expect from players:

• Players that have the capability to play relatively self-motivated characters
  • Players that have the ability to post at least once a day, or if unable to then communicate before hand or communicate absences before hand.
  • I like descriptive players.  We're both telling a story here, lets put some effort into those posts.
  • Obvious respect and politeness rules apply
  • For the Character sheet thread (which will exist soonish), just put information on there that other characters would see.  Character histories and sheets PM to me.
  • I will be awarding extra bonus points for histories

Ideally I would like to have 5-6 players, but we'll see how many bite.  Please let me know if you have any questions or shoot me a PM anytime.  Happy sailing!

Threads are up:
OOC: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=108773.0
Character: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=108770.0
Gameplay / Setting / Rules: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=108779.0

Brandon

quite interested since Ive never done a west themed game and since Exalted games are hard to find. Right now Im thinking either a female or futa (if ok) Lunar pirate captain thats mostly social focused
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Amocin

Id play a Solar, not sure what else then that though. But I would like to play.

Keelan

I tend to be wary of group games... but hey, figure I'll throw my hat into the ring, showing interest.  I only have the core 2nd ed book though... so I'd be playing a Solar, and I am fairly new to the game and it's mechanics, but I shouldn't have much of a learning curve issue ^_^

As for ideas... hm... probably a magic-user... meaning I'll need meat shields, and alternatively I'm thinking a swashbuckler gun-and-sword gal (both are female, obviously)... likely a sort of bookworm for the mage (who saw that coming? >.>) or full night-caste skillset for the latter.

Creeper

Ons and Offs, yo: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=4370.0

Too tired to post Wednesday night. Posts on Thursday!

Zaer Darkwail

I got second edition book and so going solar. I could roll a seamanship skilled dawn caste (or a Zenith). Idea is traditional seafaring buccaneer skilled with seafare and warfare and skilled also with blade.

So standard char creation rules? Are flaws and merits allowed (I know, first ed book but it brings color and flavor on stuff).

meikle

QuoteAre flaws and merits allowed (I know, first ed book but it brings color and flavor on stuff).
There are Second Edition merits and flaws.  They're mostly pretty bad, and some are outright gamebreaking.  They're in Scroll of Heroes.

I'd be pretty happy to play Exalted (because it is my favorite), and I'd probably write up an Eclipse from Skullstone or something along those lines.  I am pretty familiar with Exalted inside and out so I can probably help other players, too, if they're less familiar with the system or setting.

Do you plan to use the Errata and allow Ink Monkeys stuff (both of which are official?)

How are you selecting players?
Kiss your lover with that filthy mouth, you fuckin' monster.

O and O and Discord
A and A

Muse

I'd love to play as well.  Probably someoen who'se motivation brings them into conflict with either skullstone or the Lintha. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Kanen

Quote from: Brandon on May 31, 2011, 10:26:22 PM
quite interested since Ive never done a west themed game and since Exalted games are hard to find. Right now Im thinking either a female or futa (if ok) Lunar pirate captain thats mostly social focused

Lets stick with non-futa.  But I do like Lunars as a personal preference =).

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on June 01, 2011, 01:37:29 AM
So standard char creation rules? Are flaws and merits allowed (I know, first ed book but it brings color and flavor on stuff).

Yes, standard rules.  I think they were actually updated in Scroll of Errata to allow more skill dispersion and free skill specialties.  Merits and flaws are fine with me as long as people don't pick lame ones =).  Or just use your better judgement.  But I'll reserve the right to veto.

Quote from: meikle on June 01, 2011, 03:46:17 AM
Do you plan to use the Errata and allow Ink Monkeys stuff (both of which are official?)

How are you selecting players?

Errata is fine, yes.  Ink Monkeys I would prefer to have it bounced off me first simply because I have fallen far behind in reading their stuff.  But I don't honestly see myself denying anything, I would rather just be informed.

How am I selecting players?  I probably should have thought of that.  So far it looks like we have 7 interested parties, which is probably within my mental capacity to handle.  Depending on if we get more interested I will probably figure out some sort of criteria and make that publicly known.  If I had to make up something now, it would probably be 'Exalted Experience', i.e. knowledge of the setting.  But that said, I don't want to scare away any new players.  It's also VERY easy to be ignorant of the setting and still play effectively. 

Quote from: Keelan on May 31, 2011, 10:38:47 PM
I tend to be wary of group games...

I understand where you are coming from =).  But hopefully we can get a good enough crew of folk together to make this nice and enjoyable.

Quote from: Muse on June 01, 2011, 07:42:34 AM
  I'd love to play as well.  Probably someoen who'se motivation brings them into conflict with either skullstone or the Lintha. 

Rock on, Muse =)

I am aiming to get the threads (OCC, char threads, etc) up either Thursday or Saturday in which case I will then ask for characters.  Afterwhich, I will be doing personal prologues with people.  We're not doing the 'you're in a bar with other people...ACTION' start.  In fact, if I can pull this off properly, it may take a while for some to meet.  Since this is a forum environment, I don't need to join the players at the hip.  I'm rather looking forward to that.

Any more questions?  Fire away and I'll respond this afternoon/evening.

Amocin

Seems that most people wanna play a Solar... Can I be the only Lunar?

Zaer Darkwail

Well, perhaps ;). But I think we should aim for perfect cycle first and any left overs roll up lunars so we could have lunars around equal amount to solars (or half amount if we go by 7). Just my opinion anyways.

Anycase I will start roll up char up and pick some merits, any build or overall advice welcome. Familiar with setting but several times I played the game has died or did not get along with GM at Rpol (those who have pet peeve regarding my typing not being grammatically correct).

Kanen

We'll see how many people bite and I'll contemplate managing that.  If it feels like herding kittens or being in a room with shouting children then we'll trim it down.

Though Zaer does bring up a good point.  It would be nice to have a full circle of Solars then fill in the rest with Lunars.  So if anyone has a strong feeling about what Caste they would like to play.

I don't too much care about grammar or spelling.  As long as I can understand what is being said, then whatever =)

Amocin

I know one person has already showed interest in playing a Dawn. Out of the Solar casts I would prefer to play either a Dawn or a Night cast.

Zaer Darkwail

My case I am interested to play either as Dawn or Zenith, I think Dawn fits the most in my concept for seafaring pirate who knows how sail and wage seafare warfare (and is kick ass in close combat). I can with favored skills get sailing as one his chosen skills, one social skill (likely presence) and then third favored skill is up to air. Likely athletics or dodge as I aim more a swashbuckler akind dawn than big brute with big sword and armor.

Kanen

Zenith could do that too: feared pirate overlord =D, commanding perfect loyalty.  Demanding loyalty from the ocean gods themselves.

They really should re-work Dawn.  Who needs ALL those weapon favorites?!  Unless you have a MA/bow/sword and want to throw it at your enemies when you run out of arrows....in war....

Zaer Darkwail

Ah, true! Zenith could make perhaps better ability section wise as he has nice social and endurance stuff. Leaving only his weapon specialization, sailing and then athletics maybe (as if I pick endurance ability then could go just for soak defense as main method to survive enemy attacks).

Muse

Zaer, if you take Dawn, I'll take Zenith? 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Muse

Or even better, the other way around...  :) 

Zaer Darkwail

I take Zenith, you take Dawn :). My Zenith plan to be quite Dawn alike as I plan him to be swashbuckling pirate leader type. So War, Swordplay, athletics and sail skills plan to be on focus. Perhaps dodge or endurance as defense forms besides from swordplay.

meikle

Quote from: Kanen on June 01, 2011, 07:45:15 AM
Yes, standard rules.  I think they were actually updated in Scroll of Errata to allow more skill dispersion and free skill specialties.  Merits and flaws are fine with me as long as people don't pick lame ones =).  Or just use your better judgement.  But I'll reserve the right to veto.

For the sake of people who don't want to dig through the Scroll of Errata, the changes look like this, for Solars:

18 bonus points instead of 15; Solars can buy abilities up to 5 without spending Bonus Points; 4 free specialties; Willpower starts at 5 and is no longer determined by Virtues; Virtues and Willpower cost 1 bp to increase; Characters may start with up to (Willpower+Compassion) intimacies at no cost; Solars may start with any 10 Charms for which they qualify; Charms cost 4 bp (or 3 bp for favored/caste Charms).

QuoteThey really should re-work Dawn.  Who needs ALL those weapon favorites?!  Unless you have a MA/bow/sword and want to throw it at your enemies when you run out of arrows....in war....

They didn't change the Ability spread, but they did rework Dawn to make having lots of combat abilities useful for them.  That big change was called the Dawn Fix. :3

O and O and Discord
A and A

meikle

Noo problem!  I love the errata chargen.  It gives more wiggle room in chargen and adds a little bit more oomph to starting characters.

So, does the ST-to-be want character ideas posted somewhere?  Here?  or in the OOC thing?  I figured the 'characters' thread would be for characters who have been accepted.

O and O and Discord
A and A

Zaer Darkwail

I think we can post here, but any good online char gen for Solar exalted?

meikle

http://anathema.sourceforge.net/ Anathema was pretty recently updated, and it should be fully functional for Solars, and I don't think it works fully for any other splats.

http://www.edexalted.com/ EdExalted is definitely up to date, including all Ink Monkeys stuff and the most recent errata, and covers all of the Exalted splats.

edit: except alchemicals.

O and O and Discord
A and A

Kanen

Lets use the OOC thread to post character ideas.  That is where I will move this discussion to.  I really appreciate all the help and interest =).

This does not mean that the game is closed, by all means, if you are interested and stumble across this, give a shout out or PM me.

Cold Heritage

If I wanted to make a Lunar would you be willing to give me a hand to make one that wouldn't be completely inept?
Thank you, fellow Elliquiyan, and have a wonderful day.

Kanen

Quote from: Cold Heritage on June 01, 2011, 06:21:25 PM
If I wanted to make a Lunar would you be willing to give me a hand to make one that wouldn't be completely inept?

Of course CH.  If not me then one of us would =)

Cold Heritage

Cool. Should I start posting in one of your OFFICIAL GAME THREADS or post an idea here?
Thank you, fellow Elliquiyan, and have a wonderful day.

Kanen

You can wander over to the **OFFICIAL GAME THREAD**: OOC chat =D.

Thorn14

Its been a damn long time since I've played Exalted, but I like the West.

Just poking in saying I might be interested, I gotta dig out the rules...relearn them, and make a character and um...stuff.

Kanen

So I have an opening for the either a Lunar or and Abyssal.  Let me know if anyone is interested.  For an Abyssal: affiliation with Skullstone will be needed.  PM for questions or ask here =)