News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

The Citadel and the World Trade Centre

Started by Sabby, October 25, 2010, 06:05:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sabby

I don't know if this is where this would go... it's more an observation then anything.

I just picked up the novel Mass Effect: Ascension. If you played Mass Effect, you know that it ends with the Citadel, which is the centre of the universes combined Governments, being attacked, and almost destroyed. The book takes place after this, and the first chapter describes the aftermath.

It describes how the Council races 'naive sense of invincibility' had been shaken, and paranoia was settling in, security being increased every where. Seeing their leaders almost taken down completely changed everything.

This... just reminds me so much of the current state of America I don't believe it's coincidental. The Post-Geth Assualt period of Mass Effect has got to be inspired by the Post-9/11 period of America.

mystictiger

An interesting take on it, but remember that it's always possible to read too much into any piece of fiction. When Return of the Jedi was released, some people thought it was a Vietnam alegory - a high tech military defeated by a backwards and primitive people. I'd hardly describe the VC as cuddly though. Still, it'll make me play ME2 in a new light. Thanks for the perspective.
Want a system game? I got system games!

DarklingAlice

I concur with mystictiger. I could just as easily compare the fall of the Citadel to the fall of Rome or the bombing of Pearl Harbor. Certain things in fiction and in life fall into certain archetypal structures that resonate with us. History, particularly the history of conflict, often repeats itself (or should I say: War never changes?). It is part of what makes compelling fiction and compelling myths.

However, it is an apt observation, and it does present an interesting new light to view Mass Effect in. Thanks, Sabby.
For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, elegant, and wrong.