What's in the news?

Started by Beorning, September 21, 2014, 07:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tolvo

I mean a lot of internet celebrities know very little about anything other than their media form so a lot of them end up believing some incredibly dumb stuff like that.

Icelandic

Quote from: Sara Nilsson on November 20, 2018, 02:09:31 PM
You get internet death threats for everything. My steam inbox is full of them after a day of pvp in Dark Souls

In this thread: People justifying doxxing without being willing to say that they are ok with doxxing.

Amazing

Also read this: https://wgno.com/2018/11/19/man-says-bomb-threat-was-bathroom-related-%F0%9F%92%A3/

'A man was arrested for a bomb threat at a restaurant but claims it was all just a miscommunication as... he was referring to "a bowel movement." '
Please, do stay a while, and warm up my icy heart~.

(Cuddle friendly)
My O/O's

My main request thread. (Always open!)

Sara Nilsson

Quote from: Icelandic on November 20, 2018, 02:18:30 PM
In this thread: People justifying doxxing without being willing to say that they are ok with doxxing.

Amazing

In this tread, someone reading more into what was said than what the person said.

Amazing.

Point out where I said I was ok with doxxing? I wait. And then you can apologize.

Tolvo

I'm pretty anti-doxxing, I also mentioned that I didn't know if she doxxed him because it hasn't been clearly said if she did or not since they don't link her post on social media. I get why they can't link the post if she did indeed doxx him, but if she did they should clearly say what she posted not just "She posted about the incident." Yet again, do not put words in my mouth it is really annoying how often you do it.

RedRose

She is claiming severe distress so she has a chance at winning. I guess. My, she would be laughed out of the court room in Europe. And if she won, then she would get a symbolic euro LOL
I still Don't think women have to hide to nurse.
O/O and ideas - write if you'd be a good Aaron Warner (Juliette) [Shatter me], Tarkin (Leia), Wilkins (Faith) [Buffy the VS]
[what she reading: 50 TALES A YEAR]

Tolvo

https://www.propublica.org/article/an-atomwaffen-member-sketched-a-map-to-take-the-neo-nazis-down-what-path-officials-took-is-a-mystery

This is fucking terrifying, I know the FBI and law enforcement often don't care about white supremacists and domestic terrorists like this, but this level of incompetence is astonishing and terrifying. This group actually has a youtube channel you have to jump through a lot of hoops to see because youtube felt that was better than banning them, and their videos on eugenics and deadly weapons and posing with rifles alongside holocaust imagery are hard to find, but they are deadly serious people who are preparing for a race war they want to launch. I know I sound like a broken record but this is chilling.

Icelandic

Quote from: Tolvo on November 20, 2018, 03:10:09 PM
https://www.propublica.org/article/an-atomwaffen-member-sketched-a-map-to-take-the-neo-nazis-down-what-path-officials-took-is-a-mystery

This is fucking terrifying, I know the FBI and law enforcement often don't care about white supremacists and domestic terrorists like this, but this level of incompetence is astonishing and terrifying. This group actually has a youtube channel you have to jump through a lot of hoops to see because youtube felt that was better than banning them, and their videos on eugenics and deadly weapons and posing with rifles alongside holocaust imagery are hard to find, but they are deadly serious people who are preparing for a race war they want to launch. I know I sound like a broken record but this is chilling.

Atomwaffen is fucking nuts.

Quote from: Skynet on November 20, 2018, 04:57:56 PM

As part of a drug sting, law enforcement seized over 100 firearms, several functioning pipe bombs, and a rocket launcher from a pair of white supremacist terrorist groups.

And a former British Army Lance Corporal was recruiting soldiers for an unrelated neo-Nazi terrorist group, National Action.

Do the Unforgiven and Aryan Brotherhood gangs count as terrorist groups? I thought that they were just gangs.

(Cuddle friendly)
My O/O's

LisztesFerenc

Quote from: Icelandic on November 20, 2018, 10:48:26 PMDo the Unforgiven and Aryan Brotherhood gangs count as terrorist groups? I thought that they were just gangs.

Terrorist group has never had the best agreed upon definition. It can be as little "A non-governmental body that uses fear to promote its political agenda" and sometimes not even that, as during the Bush  years an upset was caused when the governmented wanted to add Iran's Revolutionary Guard to the list of terrorist groups, despite them generally being considered part of the Irianian government.

Icelandic

Quote from: LisztesFerenc on November 20, 2018, 11:08:51 PM
  Terrorist group has never had the best agreed upon definition. It can be as little "A non-governmental body that uses fear to promote its political agenda" and sometimes not even that, as during the Bush  years an upset was caused when the governmented wanted to add Iran's Revolutionary Guard to the list of terrorist groups, despite them generally being considered part of the Irianian government.

I would agree with that definition. "A non-governmental body that uses fear and violence against the general population to promote its political, religious, or other agenda." Something like that.

But even then, has the Aryan Brotherhood done anything more then push drugs? I'm admittedly not an expert of course, but I never heard of them getting into trouble for anything else other then stuff that any other gang goes.

(Cuddle friendly)
My O/O's

TheGlyphstone

They're fairly notorious for executing murders in and out of prison, but that's also something that most violent gangs tend to be known for - the AB just does it more than anyone else. I've never heard of them definitively or even tentatively linked to any terroristic activities. Aryan Nation, on the other hand, is a domestic terrorist group, and the two have fairly strong ties.

Skynet

I cannot think of many non-terrorists reasons for a violent outlaw group to buy a rocket launcher and pipe bombs if they only wanted to deal drugs. Given that their ideology argues in favor of an ethnostate, and there have been multiple incidents of their ilk using violence against political and minority groups to spread fear and intimidation, the terrorist label is an apt descriptor for them.

TheGlyphstone

Are you sure you're not conflating the Aryan Brotherhood and the Aryan Nations? The latter has specifically targeted political and minority groups with violence outside of prisons, but the former is very much a profit-oriented criminal gang; they talk the talk about white supremacy but are known to set aside their racism when there's sufficient amounts of money in it.

That said, you are certainly right that they don't really have any use for a rocket launcher or pipe bombs. So either they were intending to cross the line from gang to terrorist, or they were planning to sell those weapons to someone who would use them. Or they belonged to the Unforgiven members, whoever that is - they're apparently a Florida local group, so I can't find much info on them.

Tolvo

We usually use different terms for different kinds of terrorism in general. Like Domestic Terrorism, Foreign Terrorism, State Terrorism, etc.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/a3mexp/neo-nazis-are-organizing-secretive-paramilitary-training-across-america

So relating to the Atom and other Neo Nazis, there is a new congregation online trying to get Neo Nazis to gather in terror cells and prepare to carry out terrorist attacks and kill as many people as they can. This includes training them in various ways and arming them. And it's pretty successful so far.

Oh yeah here is something always frustrating, you ever see pundits talking about how other countries are savage for having Female Genital Mutilation?(I wouldn't say savage but it is fucking inhumane and disgusting and should not exist) Well it is actually a problem in the USA too, there was a recent court case about it banning the law preventing it saying it was unconstitutional because of the jurisdiction of the lawmakers.

https://www.theguardian.com/law/2018/nov/20/us-female-genital-mutilation-detroit-michigan-unconstitutional

Icelandic

Quote from: Tolvo on November 21, 2018, 02:40:23 AM
We usually use different terms for different kinds of terrorism in general. Like Domestic Terrorism, Foreign Terrorism, State Terrorism, etc.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/a3mexp/neo-nazis-are-organizing-secretive-paramilitary-training-across-america

So relating to the Atom and other Neo Nazis, there is a new congregation online trying to get Neo Nazis to gather in terror cells and prepare to carry out terrorist attacks and kill as many people as they can. This includes training them in various ways and arming them. And it's pretty successful so far.

>Vice

lol

(Cuddle friendly)
My O/O's

Tolvo

I mean, it's a very in depth well sourced articles with quotes and screen caps but fuck me I guess. If you want something that also touches on this group here's a 50+ minute episode of Frontline you can watch since I guess Vice is too evil or something.

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/film/documenting-hate-new-american-nazis/

Or here is a professor of studying Terrorism's tweet thread if that is more valid, though I warn you, he does link the Vice article.

https://twitter.com/Drjohnhorgan/status/1065054676360577025

Icelandic

Quote from: Tolvo on November 21, 2018, 02:58:34 AM
I mean, it's a very in depth well sourced articles with quotes and screen caps but fuck me I guess. If you want something that also touches on this group here's a 50+ minute episode of Frontline you can watch since I guess Vice is too evil or something.

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/film/documenting-hate-new-american-nazis/

Or here is a professor of studying Terrorism's tweet thread if that is more valid, though I warn you, he does link the Vice article.

https://twitter.com/Drjohnhorgan/status/1065054676360577025

Oh no I'm sure these camps exist. I've seen a video on Atomwaffen's one just like, a month ago. I was just poking fun of Vice.

I wouldn't say they are even evil, just uhh... Well, I don't want to be too rude.

(Cuddle friendly)
My O/O's

Tolvo

It is just that you can be very dismissive of others and when you reply to the posting of an investigation into Neo-Nazis who have killed people and mentions their hatred and plans for terrorist attacks across the country, it can come off pretty bad to just reply with "lol."

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/417717-video-shows-mcdonalds-employee-yelling-at-teens-to-leave-store

Also what is it lately with restaurants?

RedRose

Second victim, so many people hurt and apparently "stabbings". I went out with a friend who's a visible minority and while they didn't "say" anything the looks we got were very clear. How is that ok for such low lives to control a country… I never saw that coming https://www.thelocal.fr/20181121/latest-france-hit-by-fifth-day-of-road-blocks-as-second-death
O/O and ideas - write if you'd be a good Aaron Warner (Juliette) [Shatter me], Tarkin (Leia), Wilkins (Faith) [Buffy the VS]

TheGlyphstone

Heck, once in a while I have legitimately linked to Cracked.com for one of their essays. Rarely, but it has happened. So I wouldnt jump to judge an article solely by its hosting URL eithrr, even manure piles can have a diamond inside once in a while.

RedRose

Young German subjected to Nazi salutes and heil Hitlers by gilets jaunes. He tried to escape and they attacked his car, breaking a window. Also an Asian man got punched (with racist insults). Surreal
http://www.lessentiel.lu/fr/news/grande_region/story/les-saluts-nazis-des-gilets-jaunes-de-moselle-30506850

RedPhoenix

Geez I had no idea things were so bad over there. Stay safe RedRose :(
Apologies & Absences | Ons & Offs | Canon in Red
I move the stars for no one.

Tolvo

Yeah usually you just want to check the site's sources and who wrote it. A lot of sites have various reporters and journalists, some are good some are bad some are mixed or average. Like I've said the Guardian is absolute garbage on trans rights but I do read it in regards to other matters.

Also yikes that really has just turned into full blown hatred and attacking of people RedRose.

Icelandic

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on November 21, 2018, 09:47:18 AM
Heck, once in a while I have legitimately linked to Cracked.com for one of their essays. Rarely, but it has happened. So I wouldnt jump to judge an article solely by its hosting URL eithrr, even manure piles can have a diamond inside once in a while.

Honestly I did not even mean it as a way of discrediting the story itself. I probably should have mentioned that, but I definitely do think Vice is trash.

(Cuddle friendly)
My O/O's

Tolvo