Zendikar Untamed ~ Sign-ups and Interest thread

Started by Graceful, April 25, 2013, 02:37:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Graceful

As of late I've really wanted to do something set in the wonderful multiverse of Magic: The Gathering, long my favorite TCG and primary nerdy activity with IRL friends. As a potential plot, my still somewhat bare-bones plan would be to follow a group of OC Planeswalkers hired by a mysterious group to travel into the mystical lands of Zendikar, a scant six months after the Eldrazi invasion nearly wiped out all life on the plane. Through adventuring across fantastical terrain, hectic battles and uncharted wilds, our cast of Mana-using warriors turn into a powerful if somewhat reluctant team - and uncover a sinister ploy that could threaten the entire multiverse if we don't stop it.

Gameplay-wise, I was gonna go rather freeform. Rather than try to go through the nightmare of translating fully and properly the card game into forum RP, I'd like to simply present the five colors and the general forms of magical spells and summons me creatures involved with each, and allow players to pick either one or two colors that their Planeswalker can use. Limiting how much mana someone can burn up using magic is going be more of an honor system type thing, but I trust you goobers to be reasonable in that regard. As a side note to gameplay mechanics, characters would be strengthen when in environments that match their color or colors, and weakened while in terrain from their diametrically opposing color.

This is all rather bare-bones at the moment, but I'd like to see first if anyone finds the idea appealing before investing the time into writing all this stuff up. Any comments or critiques are welcome, and suggestions to improve doubly so.

Daoine Sidhe

If you'll pardon my relative ignorance of MTG, I'd be interested in trying this out with you.  I understand the basic concepts, but I've never really played MTG with others.  I owned a number of cards, but I never knew the rules.  I... kinda just made it up as I went along.  But, I'll do my best for you.  :-)
[tr][td]
[/td]
[td]
Entice Me (O/O) | Engage Me (RPs) | Find Me (A/A) | Play with Me (Ideas)
Actively seeking good RP partners.

I honor the Oath.
[/td][/tr][/table]

FragarachZ

I'd be interested i nthis provided I can play a prismatic/multi/5 color mage planeswalker, since that is what I've been palying since I started magic back during apocalypse. Committing to one or two colors doesn't work for me.
O&O

Primarch

I'd give an MtG game a go. Been about a year since I've played but I always found the lore more interesting then the game itself so a freeform RP suits me just fine.

SargentToughie

Count me in!

I've got a planeswalker from the Boros Guild (Ravnica) who I've been ITCHING to use for a while now.
If you're reading my RPs from the outside and like my writing, feel free to drop me a line! I'm always looking for new, fun partners. :D
Ons and offs

Graceful

Oh wow, I'm totally ecstatic to see so much interest! ;D Awesome, I'll work on getting together a character sheet and a full starting plot description tonight, and both should be up by tomorrow.

@Daoine: This RP will mainly be focused on the lore and no so much the actual rules of the card game, so you should be okay. I'm gonna leave plenty of room for people to make up races and planes, so you don't honestly need more than a basic understanding of how the verse works here.

@Fragarach: I might be willing to make one exception and allow a five-color Planeswalker, but it'll all depend on if they're balanced and well-written.

Primarch

I had a pretty fun white knight/angel deck a while back. Might take something along those lines.

Geeklet

Aw shit, I would totally be down for this. Hopefully I could play some sort of Red firemage, similar to Chandra (I love that woman), or I'm sure I could always find something else worthwhile to fit the needs.

Thorn14

Man, its been a long time since MtG for me. But I'd be interested in a freeform RP.

What do you have in mind?

And how adult would the RP work? (I like the idea of sexy MtG!)

Shaitan

Chalk me up for interest in it, any issues with a dual color planeswalker?

Vladimir valentine

i love MTG and would love to be in an MTG RP. Id play a black planes walker, either like liliana or soren.

tpena75

I am so in for this. I have tons of magic cards and would be up for playing any type of character.

Decrepitdan

Are we going to write up    a whole plane together? Or use existing ones?

Thorn14

Graceful

I've had plans for a few days, but life hit me much harder than I'd anticipated and I got slowed way, way, WAY down. Things are starting to pick back up, though, so without further ado I present at long last a sign-up sheet along with an OOC Topic. Soon as I can manage I'll get up my own character and a game details topic, but for now anyone still interested can start working on a character and have something hammered out by the time I get off my gloriously pasty white ass and set the ball rolling. Any characters should be posted here, and thanks kindly to all of you for being so patient with me.

@Shaitan: Not at all, I'm allowing anything up to tri-color planeswalkers.

@Decrepitdan: For the sake of keeping it simple, our adventuring planeswalkers are visiting only existing planes for now, but in the future I'd be up for making some up.

OOC Topic

The character sheet:

Name:
Race:

Appearance:

Home Plane:
Mana Color(s):
Magic Specialties:

Weapons:
Garments:
Other Equipment:

Personality:

History:

[b]Name:[/b]
[b]Age:[/b]
[b]Gender:[/b]
[b]Race:[/b]

[b]Appearance:[/b]

[b]Home Plane:[/b]
[b]Mana Color(s):[/b]
[b]Magic Specialties:[/b]

[b]Weapons:[/b]
[b]Garments:[/b]
[b]Other Equipment:[/b]

[b]Personality:[/b]

[b]History:[/b]

Latooni Subota

Color me interested. I'll have an application up tonight . . . something Red. And/or Artifact-y. We'll see what pops up . . .
ONs and OFFs be here: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=64984.0

If I'm needed to post somewhere, PLEASE PM me about it. Sometimes I lose track of threads and need to be reminded about things.

SargentToughie

Name: Terina Kos
Race: Human

Appearance:

Home Plane: Ravnica
Mana Color(s): Red/White
Magic Specialties: Summoning magic, and aggressive magic. Her 'go to' spell is lightning helix

Weapons: Sword & Shield
Garments: Standard infantry armor, except for the fact that she wears a skirt instead of leggings
Other Equipment: A pendant that she adamantly refuses to part with for unknown reasons.

Personality: Serious and dutiful at all times, Terina takes her position as a foster child to Agrus Kos with the utmost of pride. She is a representative of the Boros guild, and she refuses to back down from a straightforward fight, or leave a person who is suffering behind. Since she tends to like solving problems at the tip of a sword, she has a large tendency for getting into trouble.

History: Terina outright refuses to talk about her birthplace as well as her very early childhood. As far as anybody else is concerned, the only part of her childhood that mattered was training with the Boros legion in the way of the blade. She was raised to believe that those with power should use it to protect those who don't have it, and this philosophy went along with her when she discovered her planeswalker spark, and her adventures took her away from the barracks and the legions of the Boros standing army, and into the wild unknown of the multiverse.

It's bound to only be a matter of time before the shadows of her origins catch up with her though. Terina may be fast, and she may be able to travel through entire worlds at the blink of an eye, but nobody can outrun fate.
If you're reading my RPs from the outside and like my writing, feel free to drop me a line! I'm always looking for new, fun partners. :D
Ons and offs

MisterYada

I guess I can try to play. Been too long since I've done anything besides take up space in the shoutbox (calling it the IRC feels dumb). I thank Latooni for pointing this game out to me in another channel we share.

As for color preference, I generally either go Red/Black or Red/White. I could just go straight Black if either of those are a problem.

Graceful

Quote from: Latooni Subota on May 02, 2013, 11:19:52 PM
Color me interested. I'll have an application up tonight . . . something Red. And/or Artifact-y. We'll see what pops up . . .

Looking forward to it. ;D

Quote from: SargentToughie on May 02, 2013, 11:27:31 PM
Name: Terina Kos

As we discussed, I like it. Accepted wholeheartedly.

Quote from: draeneilover on May 02, 2013, 11:31:31 PM
I guess I can try to play. Been too long since I've done anything besides take up space in the shoutbox (calling it the IRC feels dumb). I thank Latooni for pointing this game out to me in another channel we share.

As for color preference, I generally either go Red/Black or Red/White. I could just go straight Black if either of those are a problem.

Absolutely any color combo or mono-color is just fine and dandy by me.

MisterYada

Quote from: AkiraRevile on May 02, 2013, 11:37:12 PM

Absolutely any color combo or mono-color is just fine and dandy by me.

I understand, just musing on my favorite colors and combos, and I don't like to tread on toes. The recent profile just crossed one off the list, so I'm leaning more towards Rakdos colors. It's my main EDH deck anyway.

Latooni Subota

Amendment, going Blue/Red now. Details to come soon :3

If I'm needed to post somewhere, PLEASE PM me about it. Sometimes I lose track of threads and need to be reminded about things.

Geeklet

So much love for Red. Think I might go something either blue or green now.

Latooni Subota

To be fair, my girl's spells will only be splashing red, so to speak. *Shifty eyes*

MisterYada

Against my better judgement, I'll go Red/Black. I'm just hoping certain things I've been informed of can be kept in check for the sake of no snowflaking.