News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Pizza now a vegetable

Started by Zeitgeist, November 20, 2011, 10:04:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oniya

As I said upthread, the only pizza I've seen that had a full serving of veggies on it was a Chicago-style deep-dish supreme.  The veggies in that case consisted of the sauce, the peppers, mushrooms, and the onions (I think olives still fall under 'fruit', but they were present as well.)  Easily a quarter-cup.  There was probably a full serving of meat and dairy in there, too, all things considered. 

If a school pizza looked like this:

I'd consider that 'serving vegetables'.

And now I'm hungry, dammit.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Missy

Quote from: Oniya on November 22, 2011, 01:20:30 PM
As I said upthread, the only pizza I've seen that had a full serving of veggies on it was a Chicago-style deep-dish supreme.  The veggies in that case consisted of the sauce, the peppers, mushrooms, and the onions (I think olives still fall under 'fruit', but they were present as well.)  Easily a quarter-cup.  There was probably a full serving of meat and dairy in there, too, all things considered. 

Do they have one with shrimp on it? I'm moving to chicago.

Oniya

All the Chicago-style pizza I've had has been in other states (Pizzeria Uno is nom.)  I've never seen shrimp pizza, but then again, I've never looked.  I think I'd skip the cheese and go with either an alfredo or marinara sauce on that pie.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Haloriel

Uno?  Oh man.  I went to the the one in Chicago on North Wabash (Millennium Mile) a few years ago.  It was awesome. :D  The crowd was so worth it.  Do I smell a road trip in my future?  Hehe!

RubySlippers

Quote from: Oniya on November 22, 2011, 12:20:16 PM
Ruby, did you even look at the descriptions of the school pizzas?  Did you look at the ingredients?  Have you compared that to the pizza that you would choose for yourself?

This is what they are talking about.

I love CiCi's all-u-can-eat pizza buffet for $4.99, so yes I would eat that. And you can improve the pizza if that is the issue with a wheat crust, lowfat cheese and other ingrediants I went to a private school we had decent pizza. And our lunch per week price was not any higher than the public schools.

Caeli

Quote from: RubySlippers on November 22, 2011, 02:28:43 PM
I love CiCi's all-u-can-eat pizza buffet for $4.99, so yes I would eat that. And you can improve the pizza if that is the issue with a wheat crust, lowfat cheese and other ingrediants I went to a private school we had decent pizza. And our lunch per week price was not any higher than the public schools.

First: a privately-owned restaurant is not the same as a public school kitchen.

Second: you went to a private school, which probably means that tuition probably factors in somewhere when you're talking about cost of attending school.

Third: because of the estimated difference in the amount of money a private school and public school gets, I'd say it's reasonable that even if your "lunch per week price" was no higher than a public school's, your private school was probably absorbing some of the cost.

Fourth: public schools get funding from the state, and public school employees are paid by the state. I'm not going to go into the different hiring requirements between public school employees and private school employees, because I'm not an expert, but I don't think it's unreasonable to say that those who work in a private school probably have more incentive and more funds for cooking school lunches.
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Caeli

Most pizza places I've gone to don't make their food with that many toppings. :P That's not even speaking of school pizzas.

I remember what mine looked like from high school; your image of the rectangle was a dead ringer.

I got reduced-price lunches, but I never ate the pizza because it was that disgusting.

{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ

Oreo

That is exactly what pizza looks like at my house. I always make my own. Sometimes I even get teased that it really 'is' a pie. I agree that only would I call pizza that looked like that a full and healthy meal. I know I was happier buying an apple from the vending machine, while in school, than eating in the cafeteria. The quality of food served is nothing new. It has always been sub nutritious.

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

Caeli

Quote from: Oreo on November 22, 2011, 04:37:43 PM
That is exactly what pizza looks like at my house. I always make my own. Sometimes I even get teased that it really 'is' a pie. I agree that only would I call pizza that looked like that a full and healthy meal. I know I was happier buying an apple from the vending machine, while in school, than eating in the cafeteria. The quality of food served is nothing new. It has always been sub nutritious.

Off topic: That sounds delicious, Oreo! Make me pizza sometime. ♥

On topic: Not precisely related to the entire pizza and vegetable topic, but I remember when I was still in school, there were also vending machines all over the place that sold drinks with disgusting amounts of sugar (and equivalents) in them, a.k.a. soda, and all the vending machines had were oily/greasy snacks like potato chips.

I wonder if that has changed since.

{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ

Oreo

It was the 70's when I was in school and we had two vending machines. One had juice and the other had apples and oranges. I used to rush  there first thing off the bus in the morning to get my apple. They were always gone by lunch time. [/hijack]

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

consortium11

Quote from: MCsc on November 22, 2011, 01:40:20 PM
Do they have one with shrimp on it? I'm moving to chicago.

Pizza Hut South Korea is here to save you

Korean Pizza Shrimp Roll Pizza CM

On/Off topic.

As people have said previously in the thread there's nothing intrinsically unhealthy about a pizza... in a well made, healthy one you have complex carbs from the base, lean protein from the meat and a good serving of veggies... in the same way as there's nothing intrinsically unhealthy about a beefburger (once again, protein...albeit slightly fatty for the taste... veg and complex carbs).

Thinking that schools are going to be serving that sort of food is a pipe dream.

Zeitgeist

Quote from: Oniya on November 22, 2011, 12:20:16 PM

This is what they are talking about.

That's got vegetable written all over it lol

Oniya

No - this has vegetable written all over it.

(Couldn't resist)

Haloriel

LOL!  Oniya. :D  I think I would eat that other one though that looked like a REAL pizza pie. 

Serephino

No, pizza once in a while isn't a horrible thing.  But I remember school lunches, and breakfast.  Whatever was the cheapest and easiest.  I ate breakfast at school and all through high school every day they served 'super doughnuts'.  They were pre-packaged doughnuts enriched with nutrients.  Though, once in a while we got pop tarts or funnel cakes.  Yes, you read right, my school served funnel cakes for breakfast.

Every Friday was pizza.  They did serve a little bowl of lettuce and called it salad.  Then it was things like grilled cheese, burgers, chicken patties...  The one good thing they did do was you could order a chef salad in home room. 

I do remember once they made turkey wraps a few days after they served turkey hoagies.  Pretty much everyone who ate them got sick.  I have a pretty good idea why.       

Zeitgeist

Quote from: Oniya on November 22, 2011, 05:44:32 PM
No - this has vegetable written all over it.

(Couldn't resist)

I presume you used an illustrator pen to do that? How many tries did it take you? :)

Oniya

I used Paintshop Pro (the old shareware version) a size 10 round Brush tool, and it only took about three or four tries (once the mouse slipped, once it looked too small, and I think there was one where it just looked too wobbly.)