News:

"The Most Precious Jewel [One Shot: NC-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Recip E!s with Despickable & Xandi

Started by Autumn52, July 15, 2010, 10:38:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Autumn52

Wow that sounds incredible. Thank you Lady Haven, I can't wait to try it. I have a pasta salad recipe myself but I have been lookin for ways to spruce it up. This is great. Thank you very much.

Huggles and I will look forward to more recipes if you can spare them. *smiles unashamed of begging*
May light guide you through your turmoil and may darkness never cross your path.

White Light be upon you if that is your wish

Serephino

Italian Pasta Bake

1lb ground beef
1 onion chopped
1 jar spaghetti sauce
3/4c sour cream
1/4c grated parmesan
8oz pasta cooked
shredded mozzarella

Brown beef and onion in skillet.  Add sauce, sour cream, and parmesan. 

Mix pasta and beef mixture in greased baking dish.  Top with desired amount of mozzarella.  Bake at 350 about 15 mins, or until cheese is melted and bubbly.

despickable

My taste buds are dancing thinking of getting my laughing gear around those tasty treats Thanks Lady Haven Katataban and Serephino for your additions. So many talent cooks here I feel like I am missing out on things by being way over here in Australia.

I wanted to mention that as I don't have an oven I am stuck with stove top recipes and always on the look out to add to things I already know how to make and improve them.

I do like a good spag bol  spaghetti bolaegnaise and have found some great tomato pates and sauces to add to it. I also have added bacon bits.
Recently though I was told that adding cabbage to the meat brings a flavour that is out of this world.

So dear readers I am hoping for some ideas on making a good Spaghetti Bol and the added touches to it that will make it  just that extra special.
Also keep the recipes coming that a bachelor boy can make with his humble stove top, and of course all the other great oven  cooking ones you have been gratefully sharing Xandi and I really appreciate it. Thanks for sharing and for reading

“We have multiplied our possessions but reduced our values. We talk too much, love too seldom, and hate too often. We’ve learned how to make a living but not a life. We’ve added years to life, not life to years.” – George Carlin
Despickable's A&A 
Despickable's Wiki Page
[url=https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=133839.0]
[/url][/url]Despickable's Ons and Offs

Serephino

Southwestern Pasta Skillet

8oz rotini cooked (or other kind of pasta)
1lb ground beef
1 can corn
1 bag frozen pepper and onion stir fry (or diced onions and peppers)
1 large jar salsa con queso

Brown beef with onions and peppers in skillet.  Add remaining ingredients and simmer about 15 mins.

Autumn52

That sounds wonderful Serephino. It is a stove top recipe too so even Des can try it. Yay for all. Thank you and I look forward to more of your culinary genius.

Hugs
May light guide you through your turmoil and may darkness never cross your path.

Lady Haven

Dear Despickable & Xandi

I am looking for a good Recipe of Mexican Menudo with one catch. I want to make it without the Tripe. I have had several people tell me I could make it with other parts of beef, pork, even chicken.. I am a novice at making Menudo and would love some advice and a good recipe.. I hope you or one of your readers can help me. I am open to all who want to contribute..

Gracias
Lady Haven
Lady Haven's ONs & OFFs Page
Life is like a puzzle, were all little pieces trying to fit in.

Autumn52

Lady Haven,

I think this recipe should do ya.

Menudo *without Tripe*

2 Pounds of either Pork Shoulder or Chicken thighs boneless of course *cooked and shredded* Set aside

1/4 cup oil
1 extra large onion, diced
1 large clove of garlic, minced or smashed
4 cups of Chicken Stock
2 Cans white hominy *drained and rinsed*
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp dried Mexican oregano
1 tsp ground red pepper

Red chilies and Jalapenos *seeded if you don't want it to hot*

• Get your meat cooked and set it aside.
  • Put oil in pan and brown your onions. *caramelize them*
  • Add the meat and garlic
  • Add the rest of the ingredients and bring to boil.
  • Let it simmer for at least an hour and serve.
  • If you want more juice add more chicken stock and adjust your seasonings to taste.
This is one of those recipes that you have to fix according to your own taste. Please let me know how it comes out for you. Just as a tip. Instead of buying the dried red chilies you can find them in the freezer section already made into the juice you get from doing all that hard work yourself. They are not seasoned they are simply rehydrated and sieved for you. It is a time saver. Enjoy.

Oh yeah the jalapenos need to be boiled and seeded and blended. I would start off slow and maybe just add 1 large one, but like I said that is up to you and how hot you want it, but don't forget you have red pepper too so be careful.

Enjoy!!!!

Serephino

Chai Banana Bread

1 3/4c flour
1tbsp baking powder
1/2tsp salt
3/4c sugar
8oz cream cheese
2 eggs
2 mashed bananas
1/4c water
1 envelope chai latte mix

Mix together mashed bananas, cream cheese, and sugar.  Mix in remaining ingredients.  Pour into greased baking pan.  Bake at 350* 55 mins. 

Lady Haven

Xandi I tried the recipe you gave me, I changed it just slightly and it was delicious. I doubled the recipe and let me tell you there was hardly any left over. Everyone loved it.

I put two medium sized onions and a bunch of green onions plus a whole head of roasted garlic. I roasted the garlic myself and then squeezed it out into the onions as I was caramelizing them. It was great thanks for the recipe.

Here is a picture of how it turned out. *very proud*

Lady Haven's ONs & OFFs Page
Life is like a puzzle, were all little pieces trying to fit in.

Serephino

Cheesy Chicken

4 chicken breasts
4 slices ham
3tbsp butter
1c cream
1/2c shredded cheddar
1/2tsp salt
1/2tsp pepper
1tsp garlic powder

Pound chicken breasts thin and fry in 1tbsp butter.  Remove chicken from heat and cook ham slices a few seconds on each side.  Place the ham slices on top of chicken breasts.

For sauce; Melt remaining butter in sauce pan.  Add cream, spices, and cheese, stirring until cheese in melted and sauce is smooth.  Pour over chicken and serve. 

Autumn52

Serephino,

What would you serve with that? Pasta maybe? It sounds good. I was wondering does the sauce thicken like when you make mac and cheese? If I wanted to use lowfat milk would I need to make a roux? I am not a big fan of using that much cream in a sauce so I was trying to figure out how to make it with milk. I was also wondering if I could coat the chicken in panko and bake it instead of frying. You know us women trying to cut calories and fat where possible. I can't wait to try it out. Thanks for the recipe.

Hugs

Serephino

I usually just have steamed veggies of some kind as a side dish.  The sauce gets thick when you put the cheese in it, so I don't know how using low fat milk would affect it.  It might still work, maybe just reduce the amount of milk?  A roux would probably work too (that's adding flour with a little water right?).  I don't see why you couldn't coat the chicken with panko and bake it. 

Serephino

Braised Sirloin Tips

1lb sirloin beef tips
meat tenderizer
pepper
1/2c beef broth
1/3c red wine
1tsp garlic
2tbsp minced onion
2tsp soy sauce
1tbsp corn starch
1/8c water
1tbsp parsley

Sprinkle meat with tenderizer and pepper and brown in skillet with oil.  Add all other ingredients except cornstarch and water.  Let simmer about 30 mins. 

In a small bowl mix corn starch and water.  Pour into skillet and stir constantly until sauce thickens.  Serve over egg noodles or rice.

despickable

Thanks once again Serephino for your great contributions.
I just made and am eating while I type the chicken breast recipe, it is delicious. I even made the cheese sauce. I will place a pic of the result on here as soon as I have the means to do so from my cell phone I don't have the connection from my phone for the PC

Still the meal is delicious and I highly recommend it. It was easy as pie to make thanks for the treat.
Keep  sending them in and thanks again

“We have multiplied our possessions but reduced our values. We talk too much, love too seldom, and hate too often. We’ve learned how to make a living but not a life. We’ve added years to life, not life to years.” – George Carlin
Despickable's A&A 
Despickable's Wiki Page

Serephino

Parmesan Fried Chicken

2-6 chicken breasts
1c flour
1c parmesan
1tbsp basil
2tsp garlic
1/4c milk

Combine flour, parmesan, and spices.  Dip chicken in milk and coat with mixture.  Fry in hot oil.

Serephino

Crustless Chicken Dijon Quiche

1 chopped onion
1c sliced mushrooms
2tbsp butter
1tsp garlic
12oz cubed chicken
1/2c marsala wine
1 envelope italian dressing mix
3tbsp parmesan
1/2c shredded cheddar jack
3 eggs
3/4c light cream
2tbsp dijon mustard

Saute onion and mushrooms in butter.  Add garlic, chicken, seasonings, and wine.  Simmer until chicken is browned and liquid becomes thick.  Mix in cheeses and mustard, and transfer to a greased deep dish pie pan.

Beat together eggs and cream.  Pour over chicken mixture and bake at 350 35-40 mins. 

Serephino

Italian Mac and Cheese

8oz cooked macaroni (or other pasta)
3/4c milk
15oz can diced tomatoes with Italian seasoning
1 envelope Italian dressing mix
1tbsp dijon mustard
2c shredded cheddar jack cheese
diced grilled chicken (optional)

In sauce pan combine milk, tomatoes, dressing mix, and mustard.  Heat to a rolling boil and add cheese.  Stir until cheese is melted and sauce is smooth.  Serve sauce over macaroni and chicken. 

SunshineSparkle

Autumn Fried Rice with Chicken, Butternut Squash and Caramelized Onion

Ingredients:
1 ½ cups basmati rice
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon butter
2 medium onions, halved and sliced in about 1/4 inch slices
½ teaspoon sea salt
6 cups baby arugula, baby spinach or baby kale (if your leaves have long stems pinch off most of them)
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
½ teaspoon sea salt
2 cups butternut squash , diced into 1/2 inch pieces
1/2 cup dried cranberries
2 1/2-3 cups cooked, diced chicken breast (Turkey can also be a nice replacement)
2 eggs, beaten
sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
¼ cup fresh parsley

Directions:
1. Cook the rice in plenty of salted boiling water for 10-12 minutes or until it's tender but still has just a bit of bite (pull out a few grains at about 9-10 minutes and check). Drain and rinse with cold water. Let it sit in strainer to completely drain, then transfer to a large bowl.

2. Melt butter in a large skillet. Add olive oil, onions, brown sugar and salt. Stir to combine and cook over medium low heat until deep golden brown, about 15-20 minutes. Once onions are caramelized, add spinach or argula and stir until greens are just beginning to wilt. Remove from heat and add to rice in bowl.

3. Add olive oil to empty pan and heat for a minute or so over medium heat. Add butternut squash (or any other type of squash), sprinkle with sea salt and sauté until tender (but not mushy!) and golden, about 6-8 minutes, stirring occasionallyy. Add garlic, cooking and stirring for 30 seconds longer then add dried cranberries and chicken. Stir to combine then transfer this mixture to bowl with rice and squash.

4. Heat pan one more time, there should be enough oil from the squash, if not spray with a bit of cooking spray. When pan is hot, at eggs and let sit for about 30 seconds then start stirring until eggs are cooked and broken up into small pieces. Add eggs to rice mixture.

4. Gently stir all ingredients in bowl to combine, taste and add salt pepper to taste and sprinkle with fresh parsley. Can be warmed either in the microwave or on the stovetop or served at room temperature.

The final result looks like this

Finally,I'd like to thank both Xandi & Despickable for this wonderful thread

O&O    A&A    Avatars

despickable

Thanks again Serephino once again a great easy meal that I can make and always enjoy your contributions.
Sunshine I am please you added such a tasty treat, as you are one yourself and on behalf of Xandi, I thank you and thanks for the positive feed back on the thread. Tell your friends

Despickable's A&A 
Despickable's Wiki Page

Serephino

Peach Pie Smoothie

29oz can peaches with syrup (half drained)
2 single serving size containers vanilla greek yogurt
1/2tsp nutmeg
1/2tsp cinnamon
1/4tsp ginger

Combine all ingredients in blender and liquefy about one minute, or until completely blended.

Tamhansen

With the holidays coming up again, some easy to do, but festive recipes over the next days

1 Lunchtime Wraps. (Cold served tortilla wrap)

Ingredients (for about twelve wraps, feeds 4-6)

12 flour tortillas (corn or durum)
2 pints of greek yoghurt (known as bulgar or turkish yoghurt as well, very thick stiff yoghurt)
a cucumber
a couple cloves of garlic as per taste. (The purple french garlic works best)
cayennepepper (ground)
3 sweet peppers (Paprikas) red ones do best but others work too
4 tomatoes. The fleshier the better?
1 1/2 pounds of Chickenbreast filet.
quarter pound of cheese, grated (Dutch cheeses like gouda are ideal for this)
half a pound of smoked pork bacon cut straight into very thin slices.

Plastic covering foil

Preperation.
Clean and cut chicken, cover with cayenne, then grill or fry. Make sure it's properly cooked, it's chicken. Then let cool
Cut and clean vegetables into tiny tiny bits
Press Garlic, add to yoghurt along with a bit of cayenne.

Place tortilla on plastic foil. Cover with thin but covering layer of yoghurt. fill center line with a little bit of all the ingredients,and roll foil tortilla inside foil, the foil will keep them rolled up.
Place in fridge for an hour or until serving. When serving, remove foil and cut into parts. For presentation stick toothpicks through tortilla at regular intervals and cut into smaller bits placing them on a serving platter.

Many variations on this recipe exist using salmon, mince meat or beef for example. I tend to mix em up though the above is my favorite.

For a nice presentation :
ons and offs

They left their home of summer ease
Beneath the lowland's sheltering trees,
To seek, by ways unknown to all,
The promise of the waterfall.

Tamhansen

With the feast of Samhain around the corner, I guess many people will be making their traditional, or less traditional treats, so I'd like to share some of my secret recipes, which are in fact just simple tricks to make normal food look halloweeny

1 spider's web soup.
Works on all kind of soups, but I love it on tomatosoup. All you need to do is use a baker's pastry bag filled with light unsweetened cream. After you pour the soup, you draw a spiderweb on it with the cream, it'll look great. Especially if you use a thick soup. Pumpkin soup works like a charm as well. For those with a steady hand and patience an even bettereffect can be created by taking some  bread. fluffy light white bread is best. Dip the bread  in black food colouring so it will turn ash grey. then cut up the bread into smaler pieces just a little smaller than a dollar coin. and shaped like a spider so a big behind and a little head. for added details you could add black peper balls (the really tiny ones) fr eyes and use a bit of the cream to make a cross on the backside. Then very gently place it int the midle of the spider web. That part does take practice, but it amazes people every time I use it.

2 Gravedirt lasagna.
this calls for a lasagna using a bechamel topping, forgot what it's called in the US, but i believe it's Bechamel sauce there as well. Just make the lasagna as you normally would, but add a dash of black food colouring to the bechamel sauce. so that when you pour it on it will look like gravedirt. then you take either slices of toast (i use toasted ciabatta myself), or maybe thick slices of cheese, and shape them into little headstones. Those who like to go all out can even make writing on the headstones with edible ink. And place those pieces into the top of the cooked lasagne if you want you can add something like parsley on top to represent patches of grass and weeds.

3 Ketchup, not just for fake blood.

I know a lot of people use ketchup as fake blood on halloween recipes. And that is quite cool, but have you ever considered that the substance of ketchup makes it perfect for use as slime, or goop? It's just the wrong colour. No worries. Hail food coloring. unfortunately Heinz's EZ squirts no longer exist (Boo! heinz) as they were perfect for this, but strangely enough the red colour of the ketchup can qquite easily be displaced witgh enough coloring. The pink and light blue are a toughy though.

I'll add more recipes and tips soon. After I finish my piece for the EP&H (bleugh on the job two days, already behind on my deadline) Remember. For any cooking questions just post here, or send us a PM, we will answer it ASAP
ons and offs

despickable

Hi folks and welcome Katataban to this food thread. With Xandi on a break due to RL  taking priority, as we know it always should, the Kat will be helping me here with keeping our hungry tummies filled till Xandi  gets things sorted.

Please feel free to PM myself or Katataban with your combinations questions or just post them here and we will try and help.

Just a little tale I wanted to relate here.
There is a programme on TV called Come Dine With Me, the original British version has now got versions in many other countries; They put four strangers together and each cooks a three course meal at their homes for the others, and arer judged and scored on the nights. I figure with any of these types of shows they put people together who they expect will clash, due to political or other backgrounds. Fussy eaters, and the like. But one of the ones that made me laugh was one contestant saying she had a fear of walnuts. This wasn't an allergy or just didn't like the taste, she had a fear of walnuts

Has anyone heard of this? If I had been a guest on that show that day, with my sense of cheek, I would have arrived at the next dinner wearing a whopping great picture of a walnut on my T shirt.
A fear of walnuts! I don't think she was genuine, just being difficult because there was a walnut ice cream on the menu at that dinner.

"It was hell I couldn't walk anywhere all around me I was surrounded by Walnuts. It was the Walnut Apocalypse. Damn you Damn you all to hell"
Coming soon The Walnuts That Ate London

So please if anyone have some walnut recopies I would love to give them a shot.

With Christmas and Thanksgiving coming up, would love some of our reader from around the world to share what you do what foods are prepared for your festive season, so all contribution are most welcome.

Happy eating

Despickable's A&A 
Despickable's Wiki Page

Tamhansen

Still funny written out.

*seriously man we had no way out. It was wall to wall wallnuts*
ons and offs

despickable

Well its a busy time now and as people prepare for the Nano thing and the coming holiday festivities, there is gonna be some writing done over the next few weeks and we are all gonna need to build up our strength. So stay with us here folks as over the coming weeks we will ply you with sustenance, treats of temptations. oh and food and drink too.
The way to a man's heart you know.

Pork, is not a meat eaten enough by Aussies and I thought I would share the ad campaign they had here to promote the pork wares.
"Take him home and pork him"
And "Get some pork on your fork"
I took the advice and tried some pork sausages . I think I sprayed a little too much oil in the pan, because not long into cooking the smoke alarm started going off like crazy. So I put on the stove overhead fan,opened the window and even had the portable aircondtioner going, and still the alarm beeped away.
So here I am standing under it waving my T shirt under it like a mad man. I looked like a goose. And of course I couldn't check the pan without walking over to the stove top. So I had the alarm stop beeping and as soon as I went to check on the snags, the bloody thing goes off again.
Now I live in an apartment, so I had fans going, windows open, and then my front door to the stairwell, and the beeping attracted my female neighbour, who sees me standing like a git waving my T shirt at the ceiling.
She laughed.

I didn't burn my flat down nor my dinner and I had a good porking.

Australian Pork 'Sunday Lunch' TVC by Shift - B&T

Australian Pork - Meet the Friends

Hilarious

Despickable's A&A 
Despickable's Wiki Page