Recip E!s with Despickable & Xandi

Started by Autumn52, July 15, 2010, 10:38:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Autumn52

May light guide you through your turmoil and may darkness never cross your path.

White Light be upon you if that is your wish

despickable

Quote from: Xandi on November 20, 2010, 05:40:13 AM

Des pic

Here are my marshmello treats I made with my neice.
Several people took some home they were quite a hit.
Thanks Xandi for helping me with the pic, she is a mentor and a champ.

Anyway they went down a treat and i have a chan ce of making them myuself again.

“We have multiplied our possessions but reduced our values. We talk too much, love too seldom, and hate too often. We’ve learned how to make a living but not a life. We’ve added years to life, not life to years.” – George Carlin
Despickable's A&A 
Despickable's Wiki Page
[url=https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=133839.0]
[/url][/url]Despickable's Ons and Offs

Oreo

Quote from: despickable on November 20, 2010, 07:10:20 AM
Here are my marshmello treats I made with my neice.
Several people took some home they were quite a hit.
Thanks Xandi for helping me with the pic, she is a mentor and a champ.

Anyway they went down a treat and i have a chan ce of making them myuself again.
Awesome. I'm glad they were enjoyed. I hope your niece had fun ;D

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

Magma1519

As I read this I have noticed many people having their recipes get review but very few if any have reviewed the ones from Xandi and Des. Well I seek to change that here.

This evening it was my pleasure to make one of the first recipes posted in this thread. That being Xandi's Easy Steak tips and Rice.

Let me first start by saying it indeed lives up to it's name. Making this was SOOOO easy.  just some simple cutting, pouring, and mixing, and needed very minimal attention. This is a great one for having guests over as well. If you happen to enjoy instant rice all the better as you will have more time to spend with company rather than running around in your kitchen.

Now for the real point in how it turned out. I am personally a fan of mushrooms and onions so the flavors of the condensed soup and the dry soup mix came together perfectly for me. I used a beef roast which I have found can tend to be tough especially if sliced and grilled as steaks. I am not exaggerating when I say this meat can be cut with a fork.

The crock pot I have does not have a medium setting so to compensate I cooked first two hours on high and remaining four on low.

Also want to make a side note to be sure to make PLENTY of rice as, if you are like me, you will be wanting plenty of leftovers. You really get a generous amount gravy out of the recipe and will be disappointed to have to throw any away.
A/A https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=90553.0  *UPDATED! 8/13*

I am so sorry to all my partners. I feel I am failing you all immensely. I just don't seem to have and muse or desire to write anymore. This may change eventually but there are no promises. Very sorry to you all.

http://www.dlclearance.com/JP_BW_Man_Dry_inShower_with_towel.jpg

Autumn52

*giggles like a school girl*

I am so glad that you like it Magma. I love that recipe and you are so right the gravy is sooo good that it is a shame to waste any of it. I am tickled pink that you enjoyed it. Thank you for posting your results here, it is nice to hear. Hugs

*still giggling*
May light guide you through your turmoil and may darkness never cross your path.

Autumn52

Xandi: Well another week has flown by and this week in the US is a holiday week. We are celebrating Thanksgiving, for our friends that do not live in the states:

Thanksgiving Day is a harvest festival and it is a holiday to express thankfulness, gratitude, and appreciation to family and friends for all we have been blessed with throughout the year. Americans believe that the first Thanksgiving happened in 1621, at Plymouth Plantation, in Massachusetts. When the pilgrims came to America they didn't know how to survive in this new place. The ground was different, the climate and also the animals for hunting were different. So it was the native American Indians who taught them how to hunt and what kind of  vegetables would grow here. If it had not been for the friendly Indians the pilgrims would have starved that first year. To thank the Indians for helping them, after the harvest, they had a huge feast to celebrate their bounty and they invited the Indians to share in their new found wealth. Today we use it as an excuse to get together with family and friends and have a big meal, like that first Thanksgiving, and enjoy what we have.

Now with all of that said, whew I didn't mean to lecture. I am celebrating Thanksgiving this year with friends. We will have Turkey and cornbread dressing along with cranberry sauce and green bean casserole. We here in the South also serve greens, collard and turnip greens, with almost every holiday meal. We will have pecan pies and sweet potato pies and probably a coconut cake. Now I have given you the recipes that we will use for the Turkey and Dressing, and I believe Lady Haven supplied the recipes that most southerners use for sweet potato pie and pecan pie so today I thought I would give you my green bean casserole recipe and the coconut cake recipe today.

But before those recipes I thought I would share with everyone my experiment from last week. I made a pot roast and veggies and decided to try the yorkshire puddings, now I have heard of yorkshire pudding before but have never tried it. After making them, I say they are what I have always called pop overs. I made a couple of mistakes when making them, rookie makes of course, but they were delicious. I followed DiverseDesires  recipe that she was kind enough to give us last week. I am providing my photo of said Yorkshire Puddings. Now as for my mistakes, I used butter for the fat instead of oil or lard. Yes, Yes I know stupid mistake seeing as how butter tends to burn., but remember I am from the south and we use butter for most everything I didn't think about it until it was to late. It did not burn but it browned and thus did change the flavor slightly. I shared some with my neighbors and they, one man and one woman, said that they had never had them before and that they liked them as much as I did, so thank you very much DD and I look forward to trying more of your yummy recipes.

Now I think that Des has some experiments of his own to share with us. Whats been up with you this week my Ozzie friend?

Des: Another week and busy, busy, busy. As you can see the marshmallows I made with my niece went down a treat. I made them again last night it was fun and the fellow work mates, men and women enjoyed them too. One woman who is fussy and I expected would hassle me about what was in them and how clean my hands were etc. was unsure whether to try them. She ended up eating SEVEN of them and she sang my praises for the rest of the day. I am expecting a pay raise next week......NOT. Thanks again Oreo for the recipe and your kind words too.
When making them last night I had the chocolate ready to melt and the bowls of candy and coconut for the toppings and the toothpicks, all in readiness then I realized I was missing something......the marshmallows. I would forget my head if it wasn't screwed on. Still it turned out mighty fine.

I also wanted to stick it to Xandi when I read she couldn't get Rhedyn’s raisin cookies to work. I was going to make them and really stick it to her. But I really stuck it to myself. A lesson people, don't try to challenge a mentor and a woman in something unless you want to get Karma back at you.

My niece and I made a botch of the batch. First time we made them we didn't have the measurements right. It didn't help that the sister in law didn't have many of the ingredients.

The conversations went like this:
Me: So do you have bicarb soda?
Her: No
Me: Do you have baking powder?
Her: No
Me: Do you have plain flour?
Her: Will self-raising do Des?
Me: No
Her: Well then No

So I had to get a boatload of ingredients from the store. We made the first lot without really converting the measurements and my niece put the blobs of cookie goo on the waxed paper tray. It said it made 16 so she put out 16 goops of dough. Needless to say it baked as one really large cookie. I tried to cut them into piece so we would have square ones rather than round and when we tasted them it was foul, not Rhedyn’s fault, we had put too much bicarb soda in it. Xandi is laughing her ass off at this point, all I can say was I have not had too much worse in my mouth than that taste.

The second batch, with correct measurements, and with now ten goops of dough, still came out in one big cookie, tasted OK but was far too soft. It was a mess. We also ran out of raisins so I add nuts to it. I don't think it helped. (Xandi again is laughing her ass off as she thinks of the mess with the nuts and oh my can't stop laughing)

I should change my name when it comes to baking to 'Des Aster' I am leaving the baking to you Xandi. Well for now. It was fun though hanging with the niece and sharing a big laugh.

Thanks to our new critic, Magma, I hope you enjoy tasting our recipes here and thanks to all the readers, we have had over 2000 reads of our thread. So glad you are all enjoying laughing and cooking.

Now Xandi your Yorkshire puddings sound like they came out rather good. I am happy that you had a slight disaster with them though. Makes me feel slightly better.

Xandi: Lets all give Des a round of applause for trying something new. *Claps Wildly Throwing Confetti*  I am quite proud that he is not giving up and keeps supplying me with endless laughs. No, I am just kidding I am really proud of him for trying new things and he encourages me to keep trying new things too. All of our readers and contributors are encouraging because, for me, I probably would have never tried some of the recipes you have given had I not gotten them here, so thank you. I am loving trying all the new recipes. Yay to everyone.

Now for my recipes:

Green Bean Casserole

Ingredients:
1/2 stick butter
1 small diced onion
1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms (button mushrooms are good for this)
2 - 1 pound packages of frozen cut green beans
Water to boil the green beans in or you can steam them whatever you prefer
2 (10 3/4-ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
1 medium size can French-fried onion
1 1/2  Tsp. Salt
1/2 Tsp. Black Pepper
3/4 Tsp. Garlic Powder
1 cup grated Cheddar (set aside)
Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Melt the butter in a large skillet. Saute the onions and mushrooms in the butter. Boil green beans  for 10 minutes and drain. Mix the green beans, mushroom soup, french fried onions, and all your seasonings, taste to make sure it is to your liking. Stir well. Pour into a greased 13x9 baking dish. Bake for 20 minutes, then top the casserole with the Cheddar and bake for 10 minutes longer, or until the casserole is hot and cheese is melted. (now some people prefer to put the french fried onions on top but I like it mixed in you can do it how ever you like) I save a few of the french fried onions to garnish the casserole when it is done.

Coconut Cake

Ingredients:
(3 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature, plus more for greasing the pans
2 cups sugar
5 extra-large eggs, at room temperature
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 teaspoons pure coconut extract if you can't find coconut you can use almond in a pinch
3 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting the pans
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
4 ounces sweetened shredded coconut
Directions
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 2 (9-inch) round cake pans, then dust lightly with flour.
In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar on medium-high speed for 3 to 5 minutes, until light yellow and fluffy. With the mixer on medium speed, add the eggs 1 at a time, scraping down the bowl once during mixing. Add the vanilla and coconut extracts and mix well. The mixture might look curdled; don't be concerned.
In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. With the mixer on low speed, alternately add the dry ingredients and the milk to the batter in 3 parts, beginning and ending with dry ingredients. Mix until just combined. Fold in the 4 ounces of coconut with a rubber spatula.
Pour the batter evenly into the 2 pans and smooth the top with a knife. Bake in the center of the oven for 45 to 55 minutes, until the tops are browned and a tooth pick comes out clean. Cool on a baking rack for 30 minutes, then turn the cakes out onto a baking rack to finish cooling.

Now here in the south the old school cooks use what is called a 7 minute icing for this cake. I do not. It is more trouble than it is worth and to tell you the truth I can not tell the difference between it and my short cut icing, don't tell anyone. I use, Marshmallow fluff. Yes you heard me right Marshmallow fluff. I buy 1 large jar, the good name brand, and it is sticky but if you are careful and wait until the cakes are completely cooled it can be spread. If you find that you are having difficulty spreading it then pop it into the microwave for 10 seconds and then try again.

To ice the cake put some in the middle and then put some coconut then put the top cake on and ice the cake until it is all pretty white. After you have all the marshmallow fluff on the cake using your hands grab handfuls of coconut and press it into the sides of the cake and then sprinkle it on top too. You will use a whole package of coconut on this cake but it is well worth it.

If you do not want to take my short cut on the icing some people use a cream cheese icing and just put some coconut extract in it. Then top with coconut.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I hope everyone has a great week and weekend this week and for those of you who celebrate Thanksgiving then Happy Thanksgiving. Enjoy the recipes.

Des: "Happy Thankgiving"

Magma1519

I seem to be on a roll already as I too have made Oreo's easy treats. Here is how they came out
Just in time for Thanksgiving feasts and potlucks. Of course I made more than what is here but this is the general smapling of how they look.

(I even took the chance of adding Raspberry Liquer to some dark choco chips can not wait to see how they taste.)

Thanks for the great idea :D

I am so sorry to all my partners. I feel I am failing you all immensely. I just don't seem to have and muse or desire to write anymore. This may change eventually but there are no promises. Very sorry to you all.

Oreo

I'm tickled pink you all had fun with the Marshmallow treats. I need to get busy and make some too.

A tidbit on Yorkshire pudding (it was a household staple when I was growing up). Mom always used left over bacon grease and preheated the cast iron pan until it was smoking hot.

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

Autumn52

Bacon grease sounds good. I always save it in the fridge for gravy and eggs but I bet it would be good with the yorkshire puddings. Thanks Oreo I will try that next time. Hugs

Miss Lilly

Quote from: Oreo on November 24, 2010, 11:15:39 PM
A tidbit on Yorkshire pudding (it was a household staple when I was growing up). Mom always used left over bacon grease and preheated the cast iron pan until it was smoking hot.

*nods nods*  Your pan should be smoking hot, and your batter cold. Make the batter an hour before you need it, and let it rest in the fridge for even better results.
Want to get wild in the west?
Visit Lola's!

Autumn52

Really the batter needs to be cold. I let it rest as the instructions said but it was not cold. I will try that too. Yay thanks everyone my yorkshire puddings will turn out great next time I just know it. Yay......

Miss Lilly

My dad, who's father was from Yorkshire, used to make Yorkshire Pudding differently.  It was poured around the meat in your baking dish a few minutes before serving, but it was a flat, not light and fluffy. It was delish!
Visit Lola's!

Autumn52

I actually saw a video on line that showed it that way. I actually ask Des if you were suppose to put it around the meat or not anyway I think it would be good.

hugs

despickable

There doesn't seem to be any hard and fast rules on making anything really Its what people do in their traditional way. I figure the way Water Lilly describes would work and does work and it's just what people like. I have alway had it as you tried it out Xandi, I like that style as its the one I know. This is what this thread is for to test things out and different ways to do it.

Either way Yorkshire Pud is great whatever way you present it.

“We have multiplied our possessions but reduced our values. We talk too much, love too seldom, and hate too often. We’ve learned how to make a living but not a life. We’ve added years to life, not life to years.” – George Carlin
Despickable's A&A 
Despickable's Wiki Page

Miss Lilly

My dad used to make it with beer.......
Visit Lola's!

despickable

Hi folks.

Due to Xandi not feeling too well at the moment. The post here will be held over till she is feeling better.

I know she has many friends here and if you wish to pass on get wells etc, go to her A & A's and leave them there.

All recipes you wish to review or leave here are still welcome. And Xandi will be back with us real soon.

11th Dec

Xandi is still not feeling too well. It's that snow and ice giving her a bad time. I just wanted to let everyone in on my day here and a little request.

In our family Christmas it is three sweets that make the table after all the chicken and turkey and ham etc. The three sweets are Trifle, Pavlova and Plum Pudding.

The Plum pudding is very European in it's origin I believe. It has always been part of all my Christmas experience while on the planet.
Some people have the extra fun of placing a small silver coin in the pudding as it's being mixed and baked, and some lucky soul gets to dip their fork in and get a little extra something, it means luck, for their Christmas.

I would love your recipes for your Traditional Plum Pudding and see how others make there special one.

Trifle is a mixture of sponge cake with Jelly (jello) and custard and delicious. Here's a pic I found on the net to show you.

Some people will add whip cream to it too.

If you have a recipe for Trifle please add it here.

Pavlova originated in New Zealand and is rumoured to be named after Ballerina Anna Pavlova. It is delish and i have a pic. I also have a borrowed recipe which I will try and add later

The Pavlova.

It has a lot of fruit on it and in it. The green fruit is Kiwi fruit, but you can add what ever you like to it.

I am not as good as Xandi as adding pictures to a post so I hope these worked out okay to give you an idea.

There will be a recipe added real soon when Xandi is back on her feet. But please send your recipes here and I will be sure glad to see them.

The Pavlova

Ingredients
For the pavlova:

1 ½ cups Caster sugar
1 tbsp cornflour
Pinch of salt
6 large egg whites
1 tsp White vinegar
1 tsp vanilla extract

For the filling:

2 large eggs
½ cup white sugar
¼ cup fresh lemon juice
2 tsp grated lemon zest
¼ cup unsalted butter
Diced 250grams fresh berries (raspberries, strawberries, blueberries)
1 cup Double cream
Fresh mint sprigs or your choice for the garnish

Method
To make the pavlova:

Preheat the oven to 150°C. (Check for your conversions)

On a piece of baking paper, draw a 20cm circle with a pencil. Place the baking paper, pencil mark side down on a large baking tray.
In large mixing bowl, whip egg whites and a pinch of salt with an electric mixer, on medium high until soft
peaks form.
Turn to high and with motor running, slowly add caster sugar until glossy and stiff peaks form. Sift in cornflour and fold in the white vinegar and vanilla until just combined.
With a large spoon, dollop meringue into the centre of the baking paper circle. With the back of the spoon, spread the batter so it is an even mound within the drawn circle and is a bit flattened on top. Keep in mind the pavlova will expand so leave about a 3cm space between the edge of the circle and the edge of the pavlova.
Place pan in oven and lower heat to 120°C. Cook for 1 hour then turn off heat and leave in oven to dry overnight.

To make the filling:

Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil over medium heat.
Decrease the heat to low.
Whisk the eggs, sugar, lemon juice and zest in a medium stainless steel or glass bowl to blend.
Place the bowl over the hot water and whisk in the butter.
Continue to whisk for about 3 minutes or until the lemon butter has become thick and creamy and coats the back of a spoon.
Remove from the heat and whisk until most of the heat from the lemon butter dissipates.
Set the lemon butter aside to cool completely, stirring occasionally.
The lemon butter will continue to thicken as it cools.
In large mixing bowl, whip cream until thickened but not stiff.
Spread the whipped cream in an even layer on top of the pavlova. Follow with the lemon butter and finish with the berries.
Garnish with fresh mint and icing sugar

I do not claim this recipe as mine and do claim it as delicious. You can add what ever fruits etc to it as this is just the main guide line. As regular readers would know I am not a baker.

Please get well soon Xandi I miss your guiding hand.

Enjoy Christmas people of E and keep sending in your wonderful recipes.

Despickable's A&A 
Despickable's Wiki Page

Magma1519

I have a family favorite that has been passed down from my grandmother. Do not worry it is no family secret so I will not get in trouble lol.

Chicken Divan.

2-4 Boneless Chicken breasts (for the times given use whole, however you can cube it for a faster cook time and is also my preferance)

1-2 bags frozen vegetables. (traditionally just broccoli, but we tend to use mixed veggies including broc, and carrot. choose your preferenc)

1 can condensed cream of chicken soup

1 cup mayo

1/4-1/2 teaspoon Madras Curry Powder

breadcrumbs

shreaded chedder cheese

In a baking pan, lay your frozen vegtables (still frozen) to cover the bottom of the pan. On the vegtables you place your chicken in an even layer.
Mix the soup, mayo, and curry powder together in a seperate bowl and pour over the top of the chicken. Cover with breadcrumbs and top with the shreaded cheese, just enough cheese to still be able to see the bread crumbs below it as it will crisp into a crunchy grid type pattern.

Bake at 425 (F for those not in the US and used to using C) for 60 minutes.

Most commonly we have Rice Pilaf to go along with it. Hope you all enjoy this VERY easy dinner idea

despickable

Thanks Magma1519 for you entry here I am sure we will get some takers for that tasty treat. Chicken is always a winner and another way of preparing it is great to try out.

An update here for all readers.

Xandi is having some time off family and health and other things and she has let me off the chain to introduce a fill in assistant. I have a few interested and as you know I don't mind sharing myself around with the hotties here on E. Diverse Desires Lilias and a few others might be dropping by to add  some sanity and sexiness to this thread in Xandi's absence. Xandi has given it her blessing and is excited to see what silliness ensues here.

I will be adding some more Christmas Recipes here and looking at also what the roles are in the Christmas family dinner. I am sure people do things different in other countries. The Aussie bloke generally is in charge of the barbie (BBQ Cookout). We leave the salad and sweets to the ladies.

In the UK and Australia we have a day called Boxing Day the 26Th Dec. I will give an explanation of that day i
Here is a better way to explain Boxing Day. It is generally a day that allows those less fortunate at Christmas to get some cheer at this festive time This Wikipedia link should explain it well enough

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boxing_Day

Anyway folks I hope you will make welcome my little helpers here  and continue to enjoy the fun of this thread. I am Santa and my little elves will be here to assist. I have been told though to not elves myself to the hired elf or I will need health care. (I will be good I want my gifts at Christmas.) Anyway I will have more later We wish Xandi our best and hope to see her back here and cooking with me soon.

Looking for great gravy and sauce reciepes so if you have any send them along here to share

Despickable's A&A 
Despickable's Wiki Page

DiverseDesires

*Blows a kiss to Xandi and wishes her better soon*

OK...... DD as an elf?  *Shakes her head*  did you spot the 'naughty' bauble in my signature?   

Gravy – well there's two main types of gravy I make the most often, one using the juices from the meat that has been roasting, the other to go with a main course that doesn't give me that option.  All my gravies are more 'French' than English – mainly because that is what I grew up with.

Gravy from a roast.

I time my roast to finish at least 20mins before the meal, often 30.  I put it onto a warmed carving tray, covered with the foil I used earlier during the cooking – and then a folded towel on top of that, keeping it piping hot. 

Putting the roasting tin on a ring on the hob on a medium heat -  if there is a lot of fat I drain some of it off – then I stir in one to two tablespoons of plain flour (depending on how much gravy I am making).  I would cook this 'roux' for at least a minute or two, stirring well with a wooden spoon, scraping up any nice meaty bits from the bottom of the the pan, then, turning up the heat to full,  bit by bit I'd add my hot stock (either from stock cubes or see below)  either one or two pints depending on how much I was making again (just off boiling).  Now you can just do that.  And that is a plain meat gravy, keep adding, stirring or whisking well so there are no lumps each time you add a little more liquid, until it is the thickness you want – season to taste.

I would normally add alcohol, white wine with chicken or turkey; red wine or port with beef, lamb, game etc cider or white wine with pork.   A small amount of sweetness added in works really well with alcohol, redcurrant jelly with red meats, a touch of sugar or honey with the others (or a spoonful of the apple sauce with the pork).  Also to add a bit of shading to the favours you can add herbs (thyme with pork and chicken is particularly good as is rosemary with lamb of course – mixed herbs I always love) then a dash of mustard or a few drops of lea and perrins (Worcesterhisre sauce) in a red meat gravy etc.  If you love garlic say – there's no reason you can't add a little garlic puree either.

I transfer it all to a saucepan, which I leave to gently boil for a few minutes if I have just added alcohol (you need to cook the alchohol off and leave just the flavour) and then leave on a really low heat until it is time to serve.

And as my gravy is 'french' I also normally add some cream, or crème fraiche and a really good blast of ground pepper.  Also just before I carve the meat, I pour in any juices that have collected on the carving tray while the meat has been resting.

Christmas gravy – or Sunday roasts using a home made stock

For Christmas and whenever I already have say a chicken carcass or bones for that particular meat I normally make a good stock and then add the wine to that too – and all my other flavorings – so it is all ready in one saucepan to add to the meat pan juices as above.

So the first pan to go on – on Christmas morning is a large saucepan and in it I put a couple of onions roughly quartered, a couple of carrots chopped into large chunks (I may also add some celery or a leek – whatever comes to hand that I fancy)  a couple of bay leaves, a bouquet garni or a good pinch of mixed herbs, all the turkey giblets, and the neck – and for Christmas I normally also save a chicken carcass from a roast – but that isn't necessary – if you don't have one add one chicken or one vegetable stock cube to the water -  a third of a bottle of white wine and cold water to cover everything and then some.   

This then gets brought to the  boil, and then is simmered, with the lid on for at least an hour.  Then it is strained – sieved so it is just the liquid and boiled with the lid off, on a high heat so it is a rolling boil until the liquid is now reduced to only a third of what it was.  Taste at this point for salt and pepper (NEVER add salt or sugar before this point) and add the mustard, and a drop of sugar too if it needs it, I sometimes also add a bit more wine if I think it needs it and bring it back to the boil for a moment.

This can now be set aside ready to make your gravy with.

Onion Gravy.

This is traditionally served with sausages, and toad in the hole, and strong meats that can take the strong flavour.

Peel and chop 3 large onions, and cut into thin strips (like you would for burgers) fry on a med heat for a good 15 mins, longer if necessary,  in just enough oil to stop them sticking, so they go first soft and golden and then gradually caramelise, about three quarters of the way through this process I often add a spoon of brown sugar (probably frowned on my pros) to aid that nice sweet richness.

When the onions are done to your liking, add a table spoon of butter, and fry gently for a moment and then add a tablespoon of plain flour. Then continue just as the first gravy, cook out the flour and add beef or vegetable stock gradually and red wine and mustard  if you like it.  Delicious!

Gravy with no meat pan.

Well normally I still make a stock like base, cooking onions, carrots and herbs with wine etc and two stock cubes just like getting ready for Christmas but without the giblets or bones.  Leaving that to simmer for 20mins to an hour.  Strain and reduce by at least half, add my flavourings,  and then thicken with cornflour or thickening granules. 

I know I am useless for putting quantities, I just never weigh or measure anyting unless it is for baking – if you need any clarification just shout – or PM me! 

Sauces to follow including bread sauce of course for Christmas and some delectable easy cook treats to take to your friends and win you new ones

*Wonders what exactly despickable wants gravy for if he is cooking a barbie for Christmas? *
"The imagination is the spur of delights… all depends upon it, it is the mainspring of everything; now, is it not by means of the imagination one knows joy? Is it not of the imagination that the sharpest pleasures arise?" ~Marquis de Sade~

Imaginings  ~  Desirables  ~  Wilful Words  ~  Diary - A/A  Updated September 15th

DiverseDesires

December 16th: Despickable Trifling with Desire

Des: Well my guest host in the absence of the lovely Xandi is a very able one. She has contributed some recipes on here already and is keen as mustard to take part while Xandi recovers from her health issues. I miss her and hope she will be back to us real quick. But for now I have the lovely Diverse Desires here with me. That makes us a triple D right here. (Ideas swim in my head right now stop it)
Welcome Desirable one

DD: Thank you Des, you can be triple D - sounds like a the name of an Australian beer by the way  - Personally  I'm an E/F   ;D   Although I have to say 'Despickable Diverse Desires' also brings to mind some very interesting images.  Also it could get REAL confusing round here - as we could both be 'Des' *laughs* - so I'll use my DD, and you can have the Des - I'm nice like that!  Best, Best wishes to Xandi, *blows her a kiss*  hurry back and rescue Des from my wicked wiles

Des: I see you are already prepared just what I like a professional, which makes me look good
I have copied a recipe for trifle from another website their credit is duly noted and I hope that it works well for those who wish to try it.

DD:  You calling me a Pro?  And there I was thinking you were a gentleman *pouts*  

Des: I wanted to chat about the role we play in Christmas in other countries. In Australia and I am sure in other places, the men tend to the cooking of the meat, although the roast seems to be the ladies domain. We blokes supply the grog (alcohol) and cook up the grub (food) searing the meat for the evening meal. The women provide the potato salads etc and it seems to work fine.
Sweets tend to be array of different things. Traditionally plum pudding, Trifle and cheesecake also make the table also as mentioned here some go for the bread and butter pudding and even apple crumble. (Has someone got a recipe for that PLEASE)

DD:  OK, OK, I can't withstand the pout, or the puppy dog eyes - one crumble recipe coming up.  And what is it about men and BBQ's?  It's like the call of the wild - mind you the apron's they put on often spoil the whole cave man thing don't you think girls?

Des: What are the roles that others play in the Christmas mealtime?
We tend to do both Christmas And Boxing d Day as two family outings. So much food I eat sparingly the few days prior. It is a big time I get to see people I haven't seen all year and see how much the cousins and others have grown, and make me feel old.
What does your family do over the Christmas Feast DD?

DD: We do the whole traditional Christmas meal (Which I always cook fresh on the day) - turkey, all the trimmings, lots and lots of side dishes, normally everyone is too full to eat pudding then and there, it tends to be dished up later in the afternoon when everyone can breathe more easily.  Normally I have a houseful - not only my children and their partners, but also I hate to see anyone on their own for Christmas so we have friends and neighbours too, I don't have any family so that lets us have an open house, which is very special.  I'll bore you all with the details later along with a couple of Boxing Day recipes we nearly always have.

Des: Well that’s enough out of me I hope everyone will enjoy their Christmas and the banter that Desire and I share while our dear Friend Xandi is away.
Des and Desire how artistic it sounds.

DD: Banter? Is that what he calls it - I've never heard it called that before  ;D

Here is a recipe from www.kidspot.com.au for Trifle and enjoy

Trifle
Old-fashioned trifle made from sponge, jelly, custard and cream is still a tasty dessert but can be made healthier by omitting the cream and replacing with low fat custard. There are also hints to stop the sponge going soggy!
Serving Size:
Category:
Dessert
Ingredients:
·   12 sponge fingers or 1 bought sponge cake
·   1 packet raspberry jelly
·   1 cup frozen or fresh raspberries
·   1 cup canned or fresh peach slices
·   2 tablespoons custard powder
·   2 cups milk
·   150ml thin cream, whipped
·   Grated chocolate to decorate
Method:
Line the base of a glass bowl (mine is 18cm diameter) with 3-4 sponge fingers. If you have a larger bowl, use a single layer of sponge on the base and the sides.
Dissolve jelly crystals in 250ml of boiling water and then add cold water to 500ml. Stir in raspberries and place in fridge to set (frozen raspberries speed up this process). Prepare custard by dissolving custard powder in 1/2 cup of the milk. Heat the remaining milk in the microwave or in a small saucepan until near boiling. Stir in the custard powder mix and continue to cook for another 2-3 minutes until thick. Cover with plastic film and cool in the fridge.
Chop up set raspberry jelly and pour over sponge. Add another layer of sponge (if using a small bowl) and top with peach slices. Add another layer of sponge and pour in custard. Top with whipped cream and grated chocolate.
Refrigerate until needed.
Notes:
·   Trifles are generally not very exotic, but they are such a tasty combination of sponge cake, jelly, fruit and creamy custard. Even better, they can be made in stages and feed a small army.
·   I like to set the jelly before adding it to the sponge because I prefer my sponge to be 'spongy' and not soggy. But if you aren’t bothered by this, just pour the jelly straight onto the sponge.
·   Mum always decorated the top of our trifles with Crushed Nuts, which caused much mirth as we grew older. Unfortunately, they are now called 'granulated nuts'... nowhere near as amusing.
·   Buy some thick prepared custard to make this recipe even simpler to make.
·   Use low-fat milk to make the custard, or buy low-fat custard, and omit the cream to make this a low-fat dessert.
·   Recipe created by Melissa Hughes for Kidspot.

I do not claim this recipe as my own nor make any financial gain from it. Only the pleasure of sharing it with you here on E

DD: I love trifle, I must admit I nearly always put some sherry in mine, drizzled over the sponge or trifle fingers. I interchange different fruits and jellies, port jelly with mixed berries and dark grapes is rather scrummy.  Another family favourite is a choc orange version.  Use choc cake, orange jelly, large tin of mandarins or fresh oranges or clementines.  Drizzle the choc cake with Grand Marnier or cointreau (or add it to the jelly if you like the dryer sponge texture), then add cocoa to the custard mix or some melted choclate to make it into a chocolate custard.  Whipped cream on top for us naughty girls and then dark curls or grated choclate to top it off.  Mmmmmm....

Thanks Des, Christmas wouldn't be Christmas without a trifle.  What were you going to do with all this left over whipped cream though....?

"The imagination is the spur of delights… all depends upon it, it is the mainspring of everything; now, is it not by means of the imagination one knows joy? Is it not of the imagination that the sharpest pleasures arise?" ~Marquis de Sade~

Imaginings  ~  Desirables  ~  Wilful Words  ~  Diary - A/A  Updated September 15th

despickable

I send everyone the best wishes for Christmas and I hope you are all fed well and celebrate the way you enjoy celebrating it

HAVE FUN I HOPE EVERYONE GETS WHAT THEY WANT

Despickable's A&A 
Despickable's Wiki Page

despickable

DD: Thanks Des - and Merry Christmas to you too, and everyone on 'E'

Des:  Merry Christmas to you and all the best for the new year. Xandi has said hi to all and looking forward to returning soon.
Christmas is always a fun time. We have a few little ones now in the family and they are the ones Christmas is for really. But for me its about piggying out and I adore all the food that comes out at this time of year. (I look at DD and gaze upon her face to hope she will provide an apple crumble.) Though its not a traditional Christmas fare I just love a hot bit of crumble with brandy custard.

DD: Those puppy dog eyes worked, Des - I've put together some recipes for crumbles - just in case between Christmas and New Year you feel a little peckish

Des:  Oh my charms have worked. That is so nice of you Desirable one I do hope our readers will try it

Traditional Crumble topping is Butter, Plain flour and caster sugar in equal quantities ie:

4oz Plain flour
4oz cold butter cut into cubes
4 oz caster sugar.

This makes a rich, very sweet topping.  The method is the same for all of them:

Sieve the flour into the bowl, cut the  butter into small pieces and then rub into the flour with your hands – using a light 'rubbing' motion of your thumb over your finger tips until all the butter is combined into the flour and it looks like breadcrumbs. Stir in the sugar – done. 

DD: You can also pulse all of the crumble topping ingredients together in a food processor until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs if you don't want to get your fingers messy Des

Des: Ohh I love to lick the fingers and lick the bowl. Licking and lapping up is the best part. Oh I am talking about cooking. I am not sure what you lot thought I meant   

Traditional apple filling:
couple of large cooking apples, peeled and chopped into good sized chunks,
2 tbsps of sugar,
tblsp butter. 
Optional – zest of half a lemon

Heat the butter in a frying pan over a medium heat, add the apple, sugar (and lemon zest if you want it) and fry for about 4 minutes, or until the apple has started to soften (If you want to  add blackberries add a minute before finishing and stir in gently)

Put the apple in the bottom of an oven proof dish, scatter over the crumble – bake in a preheated  oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4. for approx 15mins or until the crumble topping is golden-brown and the filling is bubbling.

DD: OK so that's the basic recipe my grandmother would have used.  I personally use one with less butter and sugar and rolled oats in too (and most of the modern recipes use less butter and sugar too)

175g/6oz plain flour, sifted
50g/2oz caster sugar
50g/2oz demerera sugar (and an extra tablespoon for scattering over the top and two for the apple filling)
100g/3½oz butter, chilled, cut into cubes
100g/3½oz rolled porridge oats

Then for the fruit I don't precook it at all I use one large cooking apple and two to three dessert apples, scatter them in the bottom of the dish with a sprinkling of lemon juice (and sometimes a few little knobs of butter) and about couple of spoons of demerera sugar (if I'm adding blackberries a little more sugar), Scatter the crumble on then a couple of spoons of sugar scattered on top.  Then I cook it for a little bit longer – about 20-25mins as we like ours quite crispy.

DD: Then you can play around with the combinations, it's a bit like dipping into your fetish list Des, you might fancy different things on different days     

Des:  I fancy loads of things. Every year I ask for the same thing and so far she hasn’t arrived yet. Still there is always Hope, or Faith or Lara or Mandy. Sorry.

Added Extras:
As far as the topping is concerned you can swap the rolled oats for muesli, crushed nuts, ground almonds, or even crunched up cornflakes (I've even seen one recipe that had breadcrumbs in it).  You can also add flavorings – ginger, cinnamon, or mixed spice, a teaspoon sifted with the flour (ginger is great with rhubarb).  The zest of half a lemon, or an orange (orange is great with plums) –  you can experiment with any flavours you like. 

Using different sugars and the ratios change it too – half caster half moscavado gives a lovely almost treacly taste. The only sugar that wouldn't work is icing sugar – otherwise have fun experimenting with what you like best

Other Fruits:

Rhubarb
Cut the rhubarb into into batons 2/3" long and either place on an oven tray, sprinkle with the water and caster sugar and roast in the oven for 10 minutes. Or, treat it exactly like the apple above.

Plums
Remove the stones and cut into chunks – no precooking needed and normally less sugar.

Pears
cooking pears poach for 10-12 mins and then core and chop up when cool enough to handle, soft desert pears need no pre-cooking – personally I find pears a bit too bland and normally add blackberries or do a mixed apple and pear one or poach the pears in perry or wine

Berries
A forest fruit berries mix works beautifully – no precooking – might need more sugar depending on the ratio of the sharper berries.

Pineapple and Mango
For a  pineapple and mango crumble, I place the pineapple and mango pieces onto the greased dish  (this one cooks better in a thin layer in a larger dish I think) Drizzle with  honey, then sprinkle over the ground ginger and grated nutmeg.

DD: Basically anything you like in a pie or tart also works well with crumbles, I think – also you can use it as a lid to pastry tarts/pies – for instance try a Christmas version with apples and mincemeat in a pastry case and then top with a cinnamon or orange  crumble and serve with thick cream – mmmm and there are so many lovely versions like Spiced apple and raisin crumble or Black cherry and chocolate crumble

Out of all the ones I've tried -  I must include a wonderful Simon Rimmer recipe for Toffee Apple Crumble – if you make it I warn you – you'll be hooked!

For the toffee apples
100ml/3½fl oz water
225g/8oz granulated sugar
30ml/1fl oz golden syrup
30g/1oz unsalted butter
450g/1lb cooking apples, peeled, cored and sliced into wedges
450g/1lb eating apples, peeled, cored and sliced into wedges

For the toffee apple filling, place the water and sugar into a saucepan and slowly bring up to the boil. Reduce the heat once the sugar has melted, add the syrup and butter and then bring up to the boil again, stirring constantly.

Turn down the heat, add the apples and cook, stirring gently, until just soft. Place into an ovenproof dish.

This recipe uses the old-fashioned rich crumble:
150g/5oz plain flour
150g/5oz unsalted butter
150g/5oz demerera sugar

cook for 15-20mins

DD: Does fit the bill Des?   

Des:  I have no recepe to add today just that we wish all to be safe this Christmas. Drive carefully, eat well and don’t go over board on the stuffing. Remember Turkey has a substance in it called Dopamine in it that makes you sleepy. So be careful out there no stuffing about we want you all back with us again real soon.
I do enjoy Christmas and I hope I can convince a lady to help me out with the Apple Crumble recepe DD. I also encourage readers to  give it a go.

Three things I always watch on Christmas are the movies Love Actually Life of Brian  and my manners So I blow you all a kiss and wish you best wishes.
On behalf of all here on this thread and to all you A Merry Christmas To You All and To All A Good Night

Despickable's A&A 
Despickable's Wiki Page

DiverseDesires

Des: Welcome back and I hope you all had a great new year and I’m back with Desirable Delights, and also some desirable delights to cook up too.

DD: Mmmmmm...... Desirable delights........  Diverse ones I hope? 

Des: With a new year I had the idea of seeing it as the start of a new start. A new beginning. So with that thought the humble egg came to my mind.

I want to chat about eggs over the next few weeks. I have tried the omelet, with such hilarious results. I can hear the laughter, stop it or I’ll make you all sit in the corner. The egg is a versatile little thing and used in so many ways. In sweets, pudding and main dishes. It’s eggselent and eggsiting and I am eggstatic to run a few ideas.

Those jokes were hard boiled I know.

DD: Well there's not many foodstuffs that can be used in so many diverse ways - that's for sure. Not sooo... sure if your jokes are hard boiled though - perhaps just a little Rfunny in the middle?

Eggs are pretty magical foods.  I am so lucky that I get farm fresh eggs every week from my nephew's girlfriend who has lots of chooks and sells them to family and friends.

Des: I have always wanted to know how to make Eggs Benedict and Eggs Florentine and a fine little egg custard, home made of course. So DD if you have a recipe for any of these I would love you to share one.

DD: I think we should start with the simplest of those three Des (not that I'm remembering that omelette or anything) Baked eggs Florentine is wonderfully easy and divinely delicious. I'll add it in at the end for you.  Not that you aren't an Eggstremely good cook..........   ::)

Des: Of course our readers here can join in to and send in your favorite egg recipes. It would be eggselent to get some other egg samples of how to use what I often call bum nuts googys or chook fruit, all euphemisms for the dear old egg.

You know the eggs are the best food for a bachelor and I would love to try all them out. I love the humble leg
New life New Year new recipes glad you can all join us again

DD The egg seems simple in itself, but many of us men don’t know the easiest way to crack an egg, without making a mess, or leaving a little bit of shell in the masterpiece. So what hints can you give us hopeless blokes on the art of cracking the egg? Also I would love to know how to separate the yolk from the albumin (that’s what the white part is called), as often recipes call for the egg white only.

I have never tried it and being uncoordinated as I am is it hard to do? Any handy hints folks an egg quiring mind wants to know.

DD: Cracking an egg...  well I don't think you need to do anything fancy, my grandmother always made me do it with one hand – but I think the key is to tap it on as thin an edge as possible.  Thicker rims of mixing bowls or mugs crush the shell I find, instead of opening it cleanly.  The other way – especially if need the yolk intact, is to tap it on the counter, and then use your fingers to open it.   Also if you do get any pieces of shell dropping in there is one really easy way of getting them out – use the half eggshell still in your hand as a scoop – it works so easily – try it you'll almost laugh at the simplicity of the solution.

Separating an egg, I've always used the eggshell method you can also break it into your fingers and let the white run through them, or break the whole egg into a bowl and gently scoop out the yolk too.  My friend breaks it onto a plate then puts an egg cup upturned over the yolk and tips the plate to empty the white off it.

Yes, albumen – for anyone pregnant, the young, the elderly, immune deficient or ill eggs need to be cooked – raw eggs carry the risk of salmonella.  Sorry – no licking the bowl!  If you have something you really want to make that uses uncooked egg whites, like peppermint creams, for 'at risk friends' you can buy powdered albumin (which I use for the children's group) and pasteurised eggs.  Egg whites also have zero calories, and so technically a negative when you eat them as it takes energy to digest them.  The yolks are where all the protein, calories and goodness are.  They are the best binding and glazing ingredient in the kitchen, a glue and a shine as it were.

Des: So Desire what have you got for me? What recipes and delights abound from your little nook?

DD: *Whispers as an aside  - 'You weren't suppost to tell anyone you'd seen my little nook Des*

Mmmmm.. As you've already beaten me to the winning post and have a recipe ready I'll accede - but I warn you, I may challenge you to an egg and spoon race later - I'm bound to win that one

Des: My recipe I have taken from the BBC comedy sci fi show Red Dwarf. The character of Lister has some bizarre food tastes. He likes his food big and this is big this is adapted from the series and added here for the sci fi nerds and egg freaks to sink their choppers into. I have made egg bread but nothing like this. I really want someone to give this a go.  Both making it and devouring it...

The following serves four

The Triple Fried Egg Butty with Chili Sauce and Chutney

1/3 cup pineapple juice
2 Tbsp cider vinegar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 tsp red pepper flakes
1 small yellow onion, diced
1/2 cup diced red bell pepper

1 tsp ginger
1 ripe mango, roughly chopped
2 tsp curry powder
16 slices fresh white bread
Salted butter
1 dozen eggs
Hot chili sauce (Cholula’s chili garlic is perfect)

The Method
Stir together pineapple juice, vinegar, and brown sugar in a bowl.
Heat vegetable oil over medium heat in a pan. Add the pepper flakes and cook just a minute or two, until the oil is fragrant. Add onion and cook until soft, then add red pepper and ginger and continue to cook for another two minutes or so. Add mango and curry powder and cook for 1–2 more minutes.
Pour the pineapple juice mixture into the pan. Simmer for 15–20 minutes until the liquid is almost gone. Set aside.
In a clean pan, melt butter over medium heat and add bread slices in a single layer, toasting on both sides, in as many batches as necessary. Keep the bread warm and set it aside.
Fry one dozen eggs, also in a buttered pan. (You can do this in batches as well.) Break all but four of the yolks.
Assemble the sandwiches from the ground up in this order:
Bread
Egg (broken yolk)
Chili sauce
Bread
Chutney
Egg (broken yolk)
Chili sauce
Bread
Egg (runny yolk)
Chili sauce
Bread
Serve hot.

DD: Before I dish this up for tea, I think I want proof you've eaten it first.....

Cat: "I'm not asking you to do anything I wouldn't do."

Rimmer: "You? You'd sacrifice your life for the good of the crew?"

Cat: "No! I'd sacrifice your life for the good of the crew."

DD: I've caught up with you now, and I'll be able to get a word in edgewise for quite a while if have your mouth wrapped round that!  So as promised.........

Baked eggs Florentine

25g/1oz butter
75g/3oz spinach
salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 good sized eggs
100ml/3½fl oz double cream

1.oven to preheat at 200C/400F/Gas 6.
2.Melt the butter in a frying pan on a med. heat. Add the spinach and sauté for about three minutes, or until wilted.
3.Put  the spinach into a small ovenproof dish and season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper. And I mean well – I find this dish takes a lot of seasoning!
4.Crack the eggs into the dish on top of the spinach and pour over the cream, then place into the oven and bake for 10 minutes, until golden and bubbling.
5.Serve in the ovenproof dish set on a plate etc.

DD: I sometimes add some grated cheese and a sprinkling of paprika on top – sacrilegious to the purists I know.  It also goes really well with bacon and chunks of fresh bread too I think.  There is another way of doing Eggs Florentine, more the Benedict way – so I'll add that in when we cover that one.  But I think perhaps a few more easy ones would be good to start with Des .......

So perhaps......  for the next recipes, how about, scrambled eggs for a quickie; bread and butter pudding for a sweetie and Carbonara pasta for those who like being tied in knots?   ;D

Miss Lilly

I'm sorry, Des....I have to dispute your info on pav!

Firstly, it most certainly wasn't invented in New Zealand.....you shouldn't believe anything you read on Wikipedia!  In fact, it was invented here in Perth in 1935 by Herbert Sachse, the chef of the Hotel Esplanade.

Secondly, you should never use cornflour!  A proper pav is simply egg whites, sugar, vanilla and vinegar.  For some reason, most celebrity chefs and cookbooks now have cornflour in the recipe.  But if you're going for authentic, ditch it! 

I taught Rolo to make it (sans cornflour) and he did a fantastic job!  Hopefully he'll post a picture of it for you!
Visit Lola's!

despickable

Quote from: Water Lilly on January 10, 2011, 03:08:45 AM
I'm sorry, Des....I have to dispute your info on pav!

Firstly, it most certainly wasn't invented in New Zealand.....you shouldn't believe anything you read on Wikipedia!  In fact, it was invented here in Perth in 1935 by Herbert Sachse, the chef of the Hotel Esplanade.

Secondly, you should never use cornflour!  A proper pav is simply egg whites, sugar, vanilla and vinegar.  For some reason, most celebrity chefs and cookbooks now have cornflour in the recipe.  But if you're going for authentic, ditch it! 

I taught Rolo to make it (sans cornflour) and he did a fantastic job!  Hopefully he'll post a picture of it for you!

Always up for a bit of positive criticism Lilly. There is some debate on the Pav  origin, and Wikipedia isn't reliable as you said. I try not to use it I haven't heard the West Australian  connection
Upon reading further it is still an open debate of it's origin. There are known recorded receipes of the dessert  dating back to the late 20's. I found a few refernces on the subject and I have added the link here.
http://www.inmamaskitchen.com/pavmay2.html

As for corn flour in the mix it is a matter of taste for people. We have often got receipes here that have been adapted with different incredents, it is all a matter of what people like.

The debate on the Pav will live on but no matter which or who made it there is one certainty. The pavlova is delicious

However further debate and battle for the answer continues here on a recent TV debate on the who who invented the Pav below.
http://www.abc.net.au/gnt/history/Transcripts/s1188249.htm

Despickable's A&A 
Despickable's Wiki Page