Recip E!s with Despickable & Xandi

Started by Autumn52, July 15, 2010, 10:38:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Maltese

Simple cooking, but extremely traditional autumn food here in Norway: mutton-and cabbage stew.

And that's all there is in it, except for salt and pepper. I usually cook potatoes on the side. Basically you have a kettle with a lid, and put wooden sticks in the bottom. Over them you put a layer of chopped mutton (not ground; I am not sure how to translate it; pieces of meat?) and have salt and pepper on the layer. The most traditional is to use black pepper corns, loose or in a pepper tube; I make do with pepper powder. Then you add a layer of pieces of cabbage. Another layer of meat, and so on. When you are at the top of the kettle, add water to fill up all the remaining space. Let simmer for about two hours.

This is excellent leftover food; many say that it is the tastiest the third time it is warmed up. Obviously the cabbage turns to soup and the meat to broth.

Posting status:  25th December: Up To Date 5 of 9 : last month 2, this month 5, total 38 posts for 2023.

O/O            Current stories

The Lioness

Quote from: Captain Maltese on October 04, 2016, 09:10:30 AM

Simple cooking, but extremely traditional autumn food here in Norway: mutton-and cabbage stew.

And that's all there is in it, except for salt and pepper. I usually cook potatoes on the side. Basically you have a kettle with a lid, and put wooden sticks in the bottom. Over them you put a layer of chopped mutton (not ground; I am not sure how to translate it; pieces of meat?) and have salt and pepper on the layer. The most traditional is to use black pepper corns, loose or in a pepper tube; I make do with pepper powder. Then you add a layer of pieces of cabbage. Another layer of meat, and so on. When you are at the top of the kettle, add water to fill up all the remaining space. Let simmer for about two hours.

This is excellent leftover food; many say that it is the tastiest the third time it is warmed up. Obviously the cabbage turns to soup and the meat to broth.

That's a lot like what we in the North East USA call Boiled Dinner. Typically we use corned beef or a tough cut of beef and simmer it with cabbage, carrots, onions, and potatoes (covered with water or a stock with salt, pepper, and a bay leaf or two) for a few hours. At least....that's how I make it. Nom.

With the leftover veg and meat, I like making a hash with some fresh cabbage (I like the freshness of cabbage) for breakfast the next day with a bit of butter and some eggs.
♥ Poems ♥ Story Ideas ♥ Ons/Offs ♥ F-List♥ A/A (Updated as of 1/23/2024)♥ Art ♥ My Kingdom ♥

♥Posts owed: 0/2 ♥ Posts completed: 2/2 ♥ Pending: 0 ♥
♥Status: Open ♥

Trigon

Hard Boiled Eggs

1 Dozen Eggs

Fill a pot with water, and then set on stove until it boils. After that, carefully place the eggs in the boiling water. Wait about 15 minutes before draining the water. Peel off the shell, and feel free to add them to a salad, or eat them whole!

Captain Maltese

Bachelor's stew

1 glass of water
1 pound or so of ground meat
1 can of red beans
1 can of chickpeas
1 cube of broth

Instead of frying the ground meat, you cook it in water with a pinch of salt. Which results in juicier meat and absolute zero frying fats. Once the meats's no longer red you add in a bit more water, the broth and the two cans of vegs. I will some times also put in onion and garlic, and I serve it with a tablespoon of sourcream. Yummy and simple and you won't believe how healthy it is.

Posting status:  25th December: Up To Date 5 of 9 : last month 2, this month 5, total 38 posts for 2023.

Autumn52

Quote from: Captain Maltese on October 20, 2016, 11:21:57 AM
Bachelor's stew

1 glass of water
1 pound or so of ground meat
1 can of red beans
1 can of chickpeas
1 cube of broth

Instead of frying the ground meat, you cook it in water with a pinch of salt. Which results in juicier meat and absolute zero frying fats. Once the meats's no longer red you add in a bit more water, the broth and the two cans of vegs. I will some times also put in onion and garlic, and I serve it with a tablespoon of sourcream. Yummy and simple and you won't believe how healthy it is.

I'm glad you are eating so good. You are venturing into a lot more stews and soups and that is great for you. Yay you. Thank you for the recipe too, I always like to try new soups and stews. Have a great day.

Thank you to everyone else for all the recipes. I love to try new things and I am having a blast trying all the great ideas. *hugs to all*

Keep those recipes coming y'all. *hugs*
May light guide you through your turmoil and may darkness never cross your path.

White Light be upon you if that is your wish

despickable

Thought I would share this video as there are some wicked hints here and was wondering if anyone else had used these or what you thought of them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yli5nAfiyY

I really want to try a baked potato that way

“We have multiplied our possessions but reduced our values. We talk too much, love too seldom, and hate too often. We’ve learned how to make a living but not a life. We’ve added years to life, not life to years.” – George Carlin
Despickable's A&A 
Despickable's Wiki Page
[url=https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=133839.0]
[/url][/url]Despickable's Ons and Offs

despickable

People post your Christmas recipes here

“We have multiplied our possessions but reduced our values. We talk too much, love too seldom, and hate too often. We’ve learned how to make a living but not a life. We’ve added years to life, not life to years.” – George Carlin
Despickable's A&A 
Despickable's Wiki Page

FoxWriter

iwill as soon as i get them XD i suppose i could share my cheesecake recipe *waggle eyebrows*
[tr][td]
My Cafe[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Choose your own adventure : Fates be Chosen[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]50 Tales[/td][/tr]
[tr][td] Word of the Day[/td]
[/tr][/table]

Captain Maltese

I am not much of a cook. And a baker even less so. However, today is Saint Lucia's Day and at schools, kindergartens and some workplaces all over Scandinavia the day start with a very pretty singing children's procession and the eating of special saffron buns. Youtube link here, since children.

Nice explanation and a full recipe here.

Serephino

Beef and Cheese Pasta

1lb ground beef
diced onion
1tsp garlic
1 jar marinara sauce
1tsp basil
1tsp oregano
1 envelope Italian dressing mix
2tbsp Worcestershire sauce
10oz package frozen spinach thawed
1/2c parmesan
2c shredded mozzarella
cooked pasta

Brown ground beef.  Add sauce ingredients, putting in mozzarella last.  Serve over pasta.

Serephino

Bacon Chicken

3-5 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1lb bacon (may need more if using 5 breasts)
8oz pkg cream cheese
1tsp chives
1 can cream of chicken
1/2c milk
1tsp lemon juice
1/2tsp pepper

Wrap chicken breasts with bacon and place in baking dish.  Melt cream cheese and mix sauce.  Pour sauce over chicken and bake until cooked through.

Chi

Chi's Homemade Pasta Sauce

This is a very easy recipe to make, and has so much potential to be tweaked however you want it! Even my Italian Nanna loves it!

I'll do the small recipe since that's the one I do for just me and hubby. The seasonings will not have quantities because everyone's tastes are different, these are just what I put into my sauce. Like anything that takes time to cook taste test regularly so you can adjust the flavours!

Cook time 1 hour minimum (the longer the better, I usually give it 4-5 hours)

Ingredients

1 28oz can of DICED tomatoes
2 cups vegetable cocktail (may need more depending on how long you let it simmer)
1 cube chicken/beef/vegetable bouillon (depending on what it's accompanying)
1 medium onion diced
1 carrot shredded (use only if you find your sauce to be salty or bitter)
1 tablespoon Extra Virgin olive oil
1-2 bay leaves
1/8 teaspoon  Nutmeg
   Italian seasoning - to taste
   Fresh ground pepper - to taste
   Garlic - fresh or powdered to taste

Optional Ingredients to taste of course
Wine, red or white is fine but make sure it's a dry wine
Sherry, NOT cooking sherry, it's salty!
Jack Daniels...Yes I said JD! It adds an interesting flavour to the sauce

**The options are all just suggestions and you can basically add whatever you like!

Directions

1... Heat oil in a heavy medium sauce pan at medium heat and add the onions to sweat them out until they're a little translucent.

2... While sweating the onions use a food processor or blender to puree the diced tomatoes. Leave it a little chunkier if you like.

3... Add tomatoes and vegetable cocktail to the sauce. Including the bouillon cube, bay leaves and nutmeg at this point too.

4... Begin adding the herbs and whatever your heart desires, checking regularly to make sure one flavor doesn't overpower any of the others!

5... This sauce turns out better the longer you can simmer it, but if you have less time I'd suggest reducing the vegetable cocktail by half and adding more if necessary. I've made it in an hour or less but long is good here!

Buon Appetito!

Chi
~~~ Language is my canvas, and words are my palette. Wanna finger paint?  ~~~

Trigon

Grilled Cheese

2 slices whole wheat bread
2 slices Cheddar Cheese
1 tbsp butter.

Cover the pan with butter, then put the slices of cheese in between the whole wheat bread. Set the stove to "medium high". Cook on one side for about 6 minutes, then flip the sandwich, and cook for another 6 minutes. After that, enjoy!

despickable

Been some time since I added in here so here goes.

I have mentioned before my view on tomatoes being a fruit and why it hasn't been used as such in recipes . Well i found this and i would love someone to try it out. maybe Xandi can, though I believe she isn't that fond of the main ingredient of it I ling the recIpe here and a video of a favourite you tuber that demonstrates how to make it. Love to hear of other strange cakes that you know of and have made. Enjoy

KETCHUP CAKE

http://http://www.kraftcanada.com/recipes/great-canadian-heinz-ketchup-cake-193998

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqI2o3QXpHI

I really want to try this I am a sweet fan but never been big on cakes But sure would like a slice of it

Despickable's A&A 
Despickable's Wiki Page

Autumn52

This ketchup cake sounds like a red velvet cake. I will have to make it and let you know how it comes out. Thanks for the recipe.

May light guide you through your turmoil and may darkness never cross your path.

Serephino

Awesome Garlic Cheese Toast

Take slices of whole wheat bread and butter them, laying them out on a baking tray.  Sprinkle them liberally with garlic powder and dried basil.  Top with Kraft shredded Italian cheese blend.  Bake at 350 about 10 minutes.

Serephino

Decadent Chocolate Cheesecake

2 oreo pie crusts
4 pkg cream cheese
2tbsp cappuccino mix
1/4c cornstarch
3 eggs
3/4c cocoa
1/2c sugar
2tsp vanilla
1/4tsp salt
2oz milk chocolate melted

Put the cream cheese in a microwave safe bowl and microwave 1 minute at a time until cheese is melted and easily stirred.  Add ingredients one at a time, mixing each in well.  To melt the chocolate, pour a small amount of heavy cream or whole milk into a small sauce pan, just barely enough to cover the bottom of the pan.  (Heavy cream works better because it's thicker, but if all you have is milk that works too)  Heat over medium heat, add the chocolate, and stir constantly until chocolate is melted.

Pour the batter into the crusts.  Bake at 350 for 50 minutes.  Turn the oven off and leave for another 10 minutes.  Remove cheesecakes from the oven and let them cool on a counter until they are room temperature.  Then put them in the refrigerator to chill for several hours. 

Korvo

Hello everyone,

I’m pretty new to the forum and have tried to find a good place to hopefully attribute to the E-community. Since food is my passion above all others, I think this is the place.
I used to be a chef and ran a restaurant with my father and sister. It’s been years since I cooked in a professional kitchen but I still have the same need to make great tasting food. I hope you will like my recipes and any feedback is welcome.

With kind regards,
Korvo

Cold smoked Mozzarella

When I made this for the first time, it was merely as experiment. I just made my own smoker and wanted to try something. And mozzarella came closest to what I felt I needed for smoking something cold. The result was amazing. The creamy texture of the cheese, the saltyness from the brine combined with smokiness is amazing! Not for every day, but if you want to pamper your pallet and taste buds. I hope you will try it and love it.

Ingredients for the brine:
1 litre or 4 cups of water.
28 gr or 1 oz of salt (regular, kosher of coloroso salt can all be used in this recipe)
2 ts of red chili flakes
1 ts of dried oregano
1 ts of garlic powder or granulate
1-4 mozzarella cheeses (see picture for reference)

For the smoker:
birch or oak smoking wood (like sawdust, not chips)
smoke spiral

This is how you do:
Mix the ingredients for the brine together until all the salt is completely dissolved. Take the mozzarella out of their packaging and drain the moisture off. Place the cheeses in the brine and leave preferably for 24 hours or a minimum of three hours in the fridge.
Drain the cheeses after the brining period and prepare your smoker. Fill the smoke spiral with the smoking wood and ignite the wood with a small torch or tinder. Place in the smoker and close so the smoke fills the smoker inside. Place the cheese on a rack and place in the smoker. Make sure to check temperatures. Over 25 C/ 75 F and the cheese could start to melt.  Smoke the cheese for about 20 minutes. Eat straight away or save in your fridge for up to 2 weeks.
Hope you like!
If you don't know where you are going to, you end up in unexpected places...

despickable

Thanks Kovo and welcome to E and the thread. Fppd here and how to make it always wanted and needed.
With Christmas not too far away I hope to find a few recipes from others around the world to share here.I have a dinner recipe i made a few days ago  I will share soon.
Keep the morsels coming and glad to revive this forum post

Despickable's A&A 
Despickable's Wiki Page

Korvo

Thank you despicable, I hope to see more recipes in this thread. Would be nice to read from others what they love to make and eat.
The recipe below is for those in need of a healthier touch of food, thought it could be bettered calorie-wise. I like it as is, not letting flavor be ruled by other motives :)

Asian Salad with chicken,

serves: 4
     prep time: 30 minutes
     Serving time: 5 minutes

Ingredients for dressing:
     -   1 teaspoon tamarinde paste
     -   1 tbls sriracha sauce
     -   1 tbls lemon juice
     -   1 tbls fish sauce
     -   1 tbls rice vinegar
     -   Garlic powder to taste
     -   Pepper and salt
     -   1 tbls honing
     -   6 tbls sunflower oil

Ingredients salade:
-   2 handful of baby spinach
-   1 mini romaine lettuce
-   1 handful rocket
-   1 rode pepper, thinly sliced
-   2 carrots, thinly sliced
-   Optional: 1 oz bean sprouts
-   Optional: spring onions

Ingredients for the chicken:
-   1 chicken breasts, thinly sliced
-   4 tbls flower
-   1 ts ground cloves
-   1 ts laos powder
-   Pepper and salt to taste

Preparation::
-   Mix flower, spices and pepper and salt met sliced chicken. Fry slices of chicken brown and until cooked in hot sunflower oil
-   Mix all ingredients fort he dressing together for a thick(er) sauce. You can use a whisk or a mason jar
-   Cut the baby romaine lettuce in fine strips en mix with the other vegetables end lettuce.
-   Mix chicken, veggies and dressing together and plate nicely on a plate
-   Serve with shrimp chips (krupuc)
If you don't know where you are going to, you end up in unexpected places...

Nymphadora

I have found the BEST chocolate chip banana muffin recipe that I have to fight to keep from making too often hehe

This will make six larger muffins or 12 smaller muffins.

4  ripe bananas   (medium or 1 & 1/3 cups of mashed banana)
1⁄3cup  melted butter   (cooled)
2⁄3cup  sugar  or stevia
1 large egg 
1 teaspoon   vanilla 
1 teaspoon   baking soda 
A pinch of salt   
1 1⁄2cups all-purpose flour 
1cup chocolate chips   (Your preference for semi or milk or even dark)

Preheat oven to 350.

Grease your muffin tins

Peel bananas and throw them in a big bowl with the melted butter and smash it all together with a fork.

Keep blending until the mixture is creamy and smooth, not chunky.

Add sugar, egg and vanilla and mix just until combined.

Stir in salt and baking soda.

Add flour and chocolate chips and mix until just combined. Do not overmix!

Divide into muffin tins.

Bake for about 30-32 minutes for the larger muffins or 25-28 for the smaller. Check with a skewer or toothpick for doneness.
A&As UPDATED Oct 26/23

Rate:Weekly give or take
Availability:
Unavailable for new plottings, sorry.
O&Os Please review
♪As flawed as you may think you are, you're perfect to me!♪

Mellific

Savory Kugel (a Jewish dish)

Ingredients

16 oz wide egg noodles, cooked
1 stick butter
5 eggs
1 cup milk
32 oz small curd cottage cheese
5 Tbs sour cream
salt and pepper to taste

Instructions

Preheat the oven to 350°
place stick of butter in a 13 x 9 pan and let it melt in the oven as it's preheating
Meanwhile, combine the eggs, milk, cottage cheese, and sour cream
Season generously with salt and pepper to taste
Add in the cooked noodles and stir
Pour noodle mixture over the melted butter
Bake, covered, for 45 minutes
Uncover and bake for approx 15 more minutes or until it starts forming a nice browning on the sides and top

Notes

Don't let the Kugel get too brown on top, or you'll crack a tooth on an overly crisp noodle! A nice golden brown with just a few crunchy pieces should be perfect.

O/O | A/A | MM

Autumn52

Quote from: Mellific on June 16, 2019, 07:37:33 PM
Savory Kugel (a Jewish dish)

Ingredients

16 oz wide egg noodles, cooked
1 stick butter
5 eggs
1 cup milk
32 oz small curd cottage cheese
5 Tbs sour cream
salt and pepper to taste

Instructions

Preheat the oven to 350°
place stick of butter in a 13 x 9 pan and let it melt in the oven as it's preheating
Meanwhile, combine the eggs, milk, cottage cheese, and sour cream
Season generously with salt and pepper to taste
Add in the cooked noodles and stir
Pour noodle mixture over the melted butter
Bake, covered, for 45 minutes
Uncover and bake for approx 15 more minutes or until it starts forming a nice browning on the sides and top

Notes

Don't let the Kugel get too brown on top, or you'll crack a tooth on an overly crisp noodle! A nice golden brown with just a few crunchy pieces should be perfect.

Sounds Yummy. I must try this. It sounds easy too. What would you serve with this?

Mellific

Quote from: Xandi on June 17, 2019, 06:29:26 AM

Sounds Yummy. I must try this. It sounds easy too. What would you serve with this?

I've never tried it with milk, sour cream and cottage cheese. To be honest, that was too much dairy for my family, lol. Also, I exclude the salt. I find that it's not really necessary. But, really I don't think those ingredients are needed. All the dairy might help the noodles bond together and keep them from getting too hard. Not sure. But, we've always done it without and never noticed anything lacking.

This is typically served with baked chicken. I just take chicken thighs and drumsticks, coat them with a little olive oil and dip them into a bread crumb mixture (bread crumbs, parsley flakes, onion powder, garlic powder, a little oregano and a touch of pepper), then cook those in the oven, usually at the same time that I'm cooking the kugel. In addition, on the side, I typically make a small salad. You have to add something green, right?  ::)

O/O | A/A | MM

Mister Morgue

Have some delectable...

Butter Cake

Cake:

1 pkg Yellow Cake Mix
2 eggs, room temperature
1 tsp Vanilla extract
1 stick (1/2c) butter, melted

Filling:

1 pkg (8oz) cream cheese, room temperature
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 stick (1/2c) butter, melted
4 cups powdered sugar

Directions:

• Heat oven to 350F (177C or thereabouts, I think)
  • Combine ingredients for the cake (cake mix, 2 eggs, vanilla, and melted butter). Use a fork to mush it all together until everything is fully incorporated.
  • Spray or line a 9x13 inch cake pan and press the cake mixture into the bottom of the pan as flat as possible.
  • Mix cream cheese, remaining eggs, vanilla, and butter in a mixer until creamy.
  • Add the powdered sugar 1 cup at a time on low speed until all sugar is combined into mixture.
  • Pour mixture over the cake layer in pan.
  • Bake for 35-45 minutes, depending on oven. It's best to pull this out of the oven when the edges have browned, even if the middle is still a little wiggly, you don't want to cook it too long!
  • Cool before cutting into squares and serving!

it's really rich but, man, does it taste great! you can add fruit on top, or ice cream if you like as well!