Recip E!s with Despickable & Xandi

Started by Autumn52, July 15, 2010, 10:38:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamhansen

Well thank you for all those recip-e's dear people. Some of them we've tried, and others we surely will.
A special thank you goes to Serephino, a veritable whirlwind of delicious looking recip-e's
Always contributing and keeping the tasty treats coming

To everyone please stay tuned for our special holiday edition of recip-E's with Despickable and Xandi. Which will feature not only our and hopefully your favorite thanksgiving and Christmas delights, but also Banter bout the batter, Illing bout the filling, Trash bout the mash and boasting bout the basting. Or rather, tips and tricks to make those special holiday recipes in quick and easy ways.

Des Here

Thanks Katataban  I look forward to seeing what you can add to the holiday treats.
I'm thinking Double Dutch pancakes and Holland Daze Sauces on the turkey
For those not aware Katataban is from the Netherlands and will be getting into cold icy winter weather, where as I in sunny Australia, where it's currently Day Light Savings, and we are getting an extra hour of rain.

But summer is coming up and so soon the festive season. It's a good time for holiday eating, so diet now.

For those who celebrate Halloween I will be getting some pics from Xandi, hopefully of cakes she is baking for the occasion, but if readers out there have suggestions for spooky food for the Halloween night that will be great to have them posted here to share with others.

HOLIDAY HUNGER BUSTERS

The traditional Christmas dinner in Australia is much the same as elsewhere, we have the roast meats of chicken and turkey, and good old Aussie lamb. We usually have cold meats as well which can be prepare done for a good mix of hot and cold
The Aussie BBQ is traditional the male domain and in the evenings, though Boxing Day is the time for the BBQ. It's where sometimes the only time men cook at all. The ladies prepare salads and sweets, including the Christmas Pud and other desserts that have been previously displayed on this site.

Going Dutch
[/b]

Being a country that has gotten most of it's cutlure from being occupied or occupying others, the Dutch menu has become very diverse. None more so than Christmas dinner. Now traditionally Christmas is a less lavish feast in the Netherlands than most other countries, both because of our calvinist nature and the fact that three weeks before Christmas we celebrate the feast of st Nicholas.

Now as for food, most Dutch households tend to eat a lot of smaller meals. Although we do Christmas dinner, it is not the big heavy meal most traditions have. Instead we have treats and snacks and pastries all through the day, and dinner is just a part of it.

Now the most well known Dutch Christmas dinner is Cooked Rabbit. Often served with mash and green beans. Many families have a tradition of buying baby rabbits in spring and keep them as a pet until slaughtered before Christmas, usually leaving behind a few dismayed children missing their pet. Venison and beef are also major hits come Christmas day, as is chicken.

Now as I said, the Dutch tradition is filled with other cultures' influence. Most notably from Indonesia and Dutch Guyana (Surinam) So spices and foreign vegetables have been part of the traditions for ages, as some of my recipes will show.

Some recep-E's will be added in future posts as we lead into the holiday season. I invite readers to tell us their food fare  that is eaten during this time and recp-E's as many as you like because this year I want to contribute to the family table and looking for something different to try on the family.

Thanksgiving is not something celebrated in the land of OZ but then again, Boxing Day is more traditional for us and the fine folks of the UK, but please send in ideas to share on the Thanksgiving feats and and lets us celebrate with you here

Any way more to come over the coming weeks so as Bug Bunny says  for now That's all Folks

Please keep sending us those wonderful recip-E's

ons and offs

They left their home of summer ease
Beneath the lowland's sheltering trees,
To seek, by ways unknown to all,
The promise of the waterfall.

Serephino

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread

3c flour
2tsp cinnamon
1tsp ground cloves
1tsp salt
1tsp baking soda
4 eggs
2c sugar
15oz can pumpkin puree
1 1/2c vegetable oil
12oz bag chocolate chips

Beat together oil and pumpkin.  Mix in other ingredients except chocolate chips, adding flour last.  Fold in chocolate chips.  Pour batter into greased cake pan and bake at 350 60 mins, or until toothpick comes out clean.

Serephino

Lemon Garlic Chicken Marinade

1c lemon juice
1/2c olive oil
1 1/2tsp sugar
2tsp garlic powder
1 1/2tsp oregano
1tsp salt
1tsp pepper
1tbsp parsley

With a whisk blend together lemon juice and oil.  Mix in sugar and seasonings.  Marinate chicken 3-4 hours or longer.

Serephino

Cheesy Confetti Pasta

16oz pasta cooked
1lb ground beef
1c sliced mushrooms
1 bag frozen onion and pepper stir fry (or diced onion and peppers)
28oz can diced tomatoes
2tsp oregano, garlic, basil
1/4c grated parmesan
2c shredded cheddar

In large skillet brown beef.  Add in all ingredients, putting cheeses in last.  Simmer about 5 minutes.  Serve over cooked pasta. 

*If using fresh veggies, saute them in 1tbsp butter.

despickable

Once again thanks Serephino for your contribution again always a pleasure and have wonderful array of great meals to check out.

I also believe our American friends are about to hit the Thanksgiving Day Festivals and gorging on juicy morsels. Please readers from the States send any of your Thanksgiving recipes along we would love to see them. Being in Australia we don't celebrate it but of course we have Boxing Day along with the poms (slang for British people) for our extra pig out time, and of course barbies

Anyway a treat I borrowed (copied) from a website www.bestrecepes.com.au and as a real chocoholic I have tried. Sticky gooey and messy I'm just a big kid

Deep Fried Mars Bars

Serves: 2
Preparation time: 15 minutes or less
Ingredients
2 Mars Bars
½ cup flour
10 tablespoons water
Pinch of salt
Vegetable oil for shallow frying

Method
1. Mix together a batter mixture with the flour, water and salt.
2. Mixture should be runny with no bubbles or lumps.
3. Place a small saucepan on the stove and pour in enough oil to just cover the Mars Bar.
4. Heat at a low temperature. Drop in a little pinch of batter, if the batter rises, bubbles and
browns it is ready.
5. Using tongs dip the Mars Bar into the batter mix, covering the entire bar.
6. Place it in the saucepan and shallow fry for 1 minute or until crunchy and golden.
7. Remove and place on a plate with paper towel so excess oil can be soaked up.

These are so yummy but can be rich on their own

Hope to see Kat back soon and we will have a big feature coming up for Christmas. I really want to find out if he has a recipe for those fabulous short breads that I can't pronounce
And find out more about how they celebrate Christmas in the Netherlands

See ya soon

“We have multiplied our possessions but reduced our values. We talk too much, love too seldom, and hate too often. We’ve learned how to make a living but not a life. We’ve added years to life, not life to years.” – George Carlin
Despickable's A&A 
Despickable's Wiki Page
[url=https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=133839.0]
[/url][/url]Despickable's Ons and Offs

Serephino

No Bake Strawberry Cream Tart

1 large gram cracker crust
16oz cream cheese
1/2c sour cream
3tbsp sugar
2/3c strawberry jam

Melt cream cheese.  Add sour cream, sugar, and jam, mixing well.  Pour into crust and chill until firm.

Serephino

Creamy Italian Chicken and Pasta

cooked pasta
diced grilled chicken
1 envelope Italian dressing mix
1 jar spaghetti sauce
15oz can diced tomatoes
8oz pkg cream cheese
10oz pkg frozen spinach thawed

In saucepan combine spaghetti sauce, Italian dressing mix, and diced tomatoes.  Heat over medium heat until bubbly.  Cut cream cheese into cubes and add to pot.  Stir until cheese melts and sauce is smooth.  Add spinach and chicken.  Serve over pasta.

Serephino

Sweet Chili Ribs

1lb pork ribs
2 cans enchilada sauce
1/2c honey
1tbsp cumin
1tbsp cinnamon

Mix together sauce ingredients.  Put ribs in slow cooker and pour sauce over top.  Set slow cooker on high for one hour, then set to low.  Cook ribs about another 5 hours, or until done through.

Serephino

Apple Cider Pound Cake

6 eggs
3c flour
1c butter
1/2tsp salt
1/2tsp allspice
3c sugar
1/2tsp nutmeg
1/2tsp baking powder
1c apple cider (or apple juice)
1/4tsp cloves
1/4tsp cinnamon
1tsp vanilla

Cream together sugar and butter.  Add apple cider, spices, baking powder, and eggs.  Stir in flour. Pour batter into greased 13x9 baking pan and bake at 300 for 1 hour.

Autumn52

Quote from: despickable on November 20, 2012, 07:53:52 AM
Once again thanks Serephino for your contribution again always a pleasure and have wonderful array of great meals to check out.

I also believe our American friends are about to hit the Thanksgiving Day Festivals and gorging on juicy morsels. Please readers from the States send any of your Thanksgiving recipes along we would love to see them. Being in Australia we don't celebrate it but of course we have Boxing Day along with the poms (slang for British people) for our extra pig out time, and of course barbies

Anyway a treat I borrowed (copied) from a website www.bestrecepes.com.au and as a real chocoholic I have tried. Sticky gooey and messy I'm just a big kid

Deep Fried Mars Bars

Serves: 2
Preparation time: 15 minutes or less
Ingredients
2 Mars Bars
½ cup flour
10 tablespoons water
Pinch of salt
Vegetable oil for shallow frying

Method
1. Mix together a batter mixture with the flour, water and salt.
2. Mixture should be runny with no bubbles or lumps.
3. Place a small saucepan on the stove and pour in enough oil to just cover the Mars Bar.
4. Heat at a low temperature. Drop in a little pinch of batter, if the batter rises, bubbles and
browns it is ready.
5. Using tongs dip the Mars Bar into the batter mix, covering the entire bar.
6. Place it in the saucepan and shallow fry for 1 minute or until crunchy and golden.
7. Remove and place on a plate with paper towel so excess oil can be soaked up.

These are so yummy but can be rich on their own

Hope to see Kat back soon and we will have a big feature coming up for Christmas. I really want to find out if he has a recipe for those fabulous short breads that I can't pronounce
And find out more about how they celebrate Christmas in the Netherlands

See ya soon

This just sounds sinful.....Des what have you been up to since I been away????
Giggles and Hugs

The recipes sounds great guys. Keep em coming.

Hugs
May light guide you through your turmoil and may darkness never cross your path.

White Light be upon you if that is your wish

despickable

Glad to see you back Xandi and your culinary skills have been missed, and other things too lol. Doing well and as you can see eating health..not

Thanks once again to Seph for his quick and easy recipes always welcome

“We have multiplied our possessions but reduced our values. We talk too much, love too seldom, and hate too often. We’ve learned how to make a living but not a life. We’ve added years to life, not life to years.” – George Carlin
Despickable's A&A 
Despickable's Wiki Page

TheLegionary

Wow! Xandi is back! One more reason to take a break and come back to E!

Serephino

Tangy Garlic Ribs

2lbs pork ribs
2c ketchup
1tbsp onion powder
2tsp garlic
1c brown sugar
1/2c cider vinegar
1tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2tsp pepper
1/4tsp cayenne

Mix sauce ingredients.  Put ribs in slow cooker and cover with sauce.  Cook on high about 4-5 hours.

despickable

Once again top nosh from Seph Thanks for your contribution.

Folks this  link made me laugh and it fits so perfect here.

http://funstuffcafe.com/thug-kitchen

Despickable's A&A 
Despickable's Wiki Page

Serephino

Creamy Chicken and Rice Bake

2c cooked rice
1lb diced grilled chicken
8oz pkg cream cheese melted
1c sour cream
condensed cream of chicken soup
1tsp garlic
1tsp paprika
1tsp cumin
1tsp ground mustard
15oz can diced tomatoes drained
1c shredded cheddar jack

Mix all ingredients except cheese in large baking dish.  Top with cheese and bake at 350 for 35 mins.

despickable

Quote from: Serephino on July 17, 2013, 04:44:58 PM
Creamy Chicken and Rice Bake

2c cooked rice
1lb diced grilled chicken
8oz pkg cream cheese melted
1c sour cream
condensed cream of chicken soup
1tsp garlic
1tsp paprika
1tsp cumin
1tsp ground mustard
15oz can diced tomatoes drained
1c shredded cheddar jack

Mix all ingredients except cheese in large baking dish.  Top with cheese and bake at 350 for 35 mins.

Thanks again for the great suggestions you have so many ways to make great tasting food with small amount of ingredients thanks again.
Will be posting more recipes myself soon  please readers add something to the table all welcome

Despickable's A&A 
Despickable's Wiki Page

Serephino

White Chocolate Chip Cookies

1c butter
3/4c brown sugar
1/2c sugar
1 egg
1/2tsp almond extract
2c flour
1tsp baking soda
1/4tsp salt
1/2tsp cinnamon
1/2tsp ginger
12oz bag white morsels

Melt butter and mix in sugar.  Add almond extract and egg.  Mix dry ingredients together, and mix into sugar mixture.  Fold in white morsels.  Bake on un greased cookie sheet at 350 8-10 mins. 

despickable

With Thanksgiving for our US members and Christmas and other celebratory festivals coming up I look forward to seeing what treats you are planning or have traditionally at your place. Please add some here to share and we can all enjoy  it with you. All contributions welcome

Thanks for Serephino  for again providing me with a tasty treat to try you are a wiz in the kitchen and make me look good when trying out you fare. Thanks again

All welcome to add yours and thanks  for reading

Despickable's A&A 
Despickable's Wiki Page

Serephino

Orange Chicken

18oz jar orange marmalade
2tsp rosemary
1tbsp onion powder
2tsp garlic
3tbsp balsamic vinegar
1tsp thyme

Put marmalade in sauce pan and heat until melted and liquid.  Add remaining ingredients.  Serve sauce with chicken.

Serephino

Raspberry Pork Chops

20oz seedless raspberry jam
1tbsp onion powder
1tbsp thyme
2tbsp balsamic vinegar
1/2tsp salt
1/2tsp pepper

In sauce pan heat the jam until it's melted and liquid.  Mix in spices and vinegar.  Serve sauce over pork chops.

Serephino

Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joes

1lb ground beef
1 bag onion and pepper stir fry (or diced onions and peppers)
3/4c bottled bbq sauce
8oz cream cheese cubed

Brown meat.  Add onions and peppers and let cook a few minutes.  Add bbq sauce and cream cheese.  Stir until cream cheese is melted.  Serve on hamburger buns.

Serephino

Apple Spice Chicken

2-4 chicken breasts
18oz jar apple jelly
1/4c brown sugar
1/2c ketchup
3tbsp lemon juice
1tsp cinnamon
1/2tsp allspice
1/2tsp pepper
1/4tsp cloves

In sauce pan melt jelly.  Mix in other ingredients.  Pour over chicken and bake 45-60 mins.

Autumn52

Thought I would share my experience with making Baklava. Me and my sister made this today:

Can't wait to taste them. It is the classic Greek baklava. I love it.
May light guide you through your turmoil and may darkness never cross your path.

White Light be upon you if that is your wish

despickable

Yum I love Baklava. it looks sticky too
I wish I could grab a piece right out of the picture

Despickable's A&A 
Despickable's Wiki Page

Serephino

Cheeseburger Meatloaf

1lb ground beef
diced onion
2/3c ketchup
2/3c bread crumbs
2 eggs
1/2c pickle relish
1 + 3/4c shredded cheddar

Mix all ingredients except 3/4c cheddar.  Put into 8x8 baking dish, and sprinkle remaining cheese on top.  Cover with foil and bake at 350 60 mins.