Interest Check - Video Game Crossover Game

Started by Maverick Hunter Cake, March 13, 2012, 01:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vergil1989

Is this still going or did it kind of die off?
Taker of the Oath of the Drake
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=85486.0  Absence and Apology...countdown to doom....so to speak.
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=123720.msg5435844#msg5435844  Storyteller Cafe thread.
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=186829.0  Solo thread request thread
IMPORTANT UPDATE as of October 6th 2016 in A/A page

Maverick Hunter Cake

Quote from: Vergil1989 on March 20, 2012, 11:59:31 PM
Is this still going or did it kind of die off?

It's still going, I have just been busy in the past couple of days. College work has to come first.  :D

Plus a few things still gotta be settled first before we start.

Maverick Hunter Cake

Quote from: SargentToughie on March 20, 2012, 07:34:08 AM
As long as it's not overly complicated I should be able to learn. Still, I've played system games in the past where the system completely and totally gets in the way of everything that the player wants to do, forcing them on rails where a single dice roll can completely screw over both a character's future, the story I had planned for them, and their personality on a fundamental level.

As long as that sorta stuff can't happen, I'll be down. And if you want, I can give you the story that made me so bitter towards system games. XD

Well, the system is more to keep it balanced between players, and if you have a bad GM, railroading tends to happen. Though death can still happen to characters and sometimes a die roll is the only thing between that, though for this system, by the time that actually comes into play(which is still rare in itself), you guys will probably have the money or access to the spells to bring your friends back from the dead(Plus, Video Game campaign, so many ways to bring yourself back)... But a system game is probably not be for you if you feel that way.

SargentToughie

Well, it's not that I'm worried about having my characters die (though that would suck big time), it's just that.. well... this one time:

I was playing as a character who's key personality trait in combat was that he never backed down until either the fight was won, or he was laying on the ground dead. His main love interest, a girl that he had spent a lot of time with and developed very deep and loving feelings for, was being *cough* 'assaulted' by a rather large and intimidating monster. The GM forced me to roll for 'courage' in order to see if the character would rush in and defend his love interest, he then set the bar to an outrageously high level because he was desperate for that NC scene to go down without me interfering.

I rolled poorly, and the GM told me that my character would turn tail and run away. I must have spent a few days arguing with him about that, about how no matter what I rolled, it just didn't make sense for my character to do that. In terms of personality, he would die before retreating, but the GM would have none of it, so I QQed and never touched system games again.
If you're reading my RPs from the outside and like my writing, feel free to drop me a line! I'm always looking for new, fun partners. :D
Ons and offs

Vergil1989

That GM has no right to be a GM again if that's how he plays.  No wonder you hate systems, but I doubt that'll be a problem with MHC buddy.  Call it a hunch on my end, and normally my hunches are right lol.
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=85486.0  Absence and Apology...countdown to doom....so to speak.
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=123720.msg5435844#msg5435844  Storyteller Cafe thread.
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=186829.0  Solo thread request thread

Maverick Hunter Cake

Quote from: SargentToughie on March 21, 2012, 08:25:34 AM
Well, it's not that I'm worried about having my characters die (though that would suck big time), it's just that.. well... this one time:

I was playing as a character who's key personality trait in combat was that he never backed down until either the fight was won, or he was laying on the ground dead. His main love interest, a girl that he had spent a lot of time with and developed very deep and loving feelings for, was being *cough* 'assaulted' by a rather large and intimidating monster. The GM forced me to roll for 'courage' in order to see if the character would rush in and defend his love interest, he then set the bar to an outrageously high level because he was desperate for that NC scene to go down without me interfering.

I rolled poorly, and the GM told me that my character would turn tail and run away. I must have spent a few days arguing with him about that, about how no matter what I rolled, it just didn't make sense for my character to do that. In terms of personality, he would die before retreating, but the GM would have none of it, so I QQed and never touched system games again.

Your GM seemed to be one who requires rolls for EVERYTHING which is unnecessary, you should have been able to run in and pound the monster to paste. Also, that roll should never have been called for since there was no way in hell the monster was paying attention to you if he was hurting her, so fear abilities don't come into play. You should have been able to fight that giant monster. Also, yeah......That's not good when the GM forces a scene just to see....that when no one else wants it.

That won't happen here. If you want me to teach you how to play Pathfinder, I will help you. If you still don't wanna play, that's okay. ^_^

SargentToughie

Thanks for understanding. I think I'll try my luck with system games again, though I'm still uneasy about the whole thing. Sure, I guess I can play along this time and see how it feels.
If you're reading my RPs from the outside and like my writing, feel free to drop me a line! I'm always looking for new, fun partners. :D
Ons and offs

Maverick Hunter Cake

Quote from: SargentToughie on March 22, 2012, 10:16:20 AM
Thanks for understanding. I think I'll try my luck with system games again, though I'm still uneasy about the whole thing. Sure, I guess I can play along this time and see how it feels.

Alright, what was the last system you played? It could help to know what the last system was...it could be similar to pathfinder.

SargentToughie

It was BESM, an anime based system.

It stands for Big Eyes Small Mouth, not what it looks like at first glance.
Ons and offs

Maverick Hunter Cake

Quote from: SargentToughie on March 22, 2012, 01:48:07 PM
It was BESM, an anime based system.

It stands for Big Eyes Small Mouth, not what it looks like at first glance.

I know BESM, that thing was overtly complicated and used a d6 to do checks. You had to roll low in order to succeed I think.

Pathfinder is a d20 system that is extremely similar to DnD. While you can not do really complicated stunts at level one, it's a lot easier to learn then BESM.

Maverick Hunter Cake

Genbu and Vergil, your characters look quite good. Zames, I still kinda need to disscuss a few thing with ya before I can approve of Sam, if that's okay.  :-[

Vergil1989

Thanks a ton MHC, I'm happy to hear you love Ezio lol.

Maverick Hunter Cake

Quote from: Vergil1989 on March 22, 2012, 08:37:29 PM
Thanks a ton MHC, I'm happy to hear you love Ezio lol.

Everyone loves a Rogue....or in this case, an assassin.  :D

Vergil1989

Maverick Hunter Cake

Quote from: Vergil1989 on March 22, 2012, 08:42:25 PM
Templars apparently not lol.

Indeed. XD

Zames, Sam is now good to go, and are now just one player shy of start up. Once one more player gets their character sheet in, I will set up the OOC and the Game thread.  :D

Genbu83

Cake, you never answered my question about my character. Just poking here, so you'll look at the pm again.

Maverick Hunter Cake

Quote from: Genbu83 on March 24, 2012, 10:33:06 PM
Cake, you never answered my question about my character. Just poking here, so you'll look at the pm again.

I will, I am totally sorry! Stuff's been a tad busy lately! I'll go check it out now.

Genbu83

Genbu83

All right this should be the final version

Ryu

Player: Genbu 83
Character Name: Ryu
Race: Brood (Silverbrow)
Alignment: NG
Class Level: Magus 1         
Languages: Common, Draconic, Sylvan, Dwarven

HP: 10/10

Base Attack Bonus:  +0

Intit.: +2   

Base Speed: 30

AC: 17= 10+4+2+1 
T: 13 
F.F: 14

Stats:                                             
Str:  17                           
Con: 16                           Saves:        Total     Base      Mods      Misc.
Dex: 14                           Fort:           (+4) =    2     +    2
Wis: 14                           Reflex:         (+3) =   0     +    2      +   1
Int:  17                           Will:            (+4) =    2     +    2       
Cha: 11

Class Abilities: Cantrips, Arcane Pool (4), Spell Combat

Feats: Simple Weapons(C), Martial Weapons(C), Light Armor(C), Dodge(1st), Improved Unarmed Strike (HBA)

Skills: 7 SP
Acrobatics (Dex) 2 = 1 + 2 -1
Climb (Str) 6 = 1 + 3 + 3 -1
Craft (Int)

Disguise (Cha) 2
Fly (Dex) 5 = 1 + 2 + 3 - 1
Intimidate (Cha)
Knowledge (arcana) (Int) 7 = 1 + 3 + 3
Knowledge (dungeoneering) (Int) + 3
Knowledge (planes) (Int) + 3
Profession: Fisherman (Wis) + 2
Ride (Dex) 1 = + 2 -1
Spellcraft (Int) 7 = 1 + 3 + 3
Swim (Str) 7 = 1 + 3 + 3
Use Magic Device (Cha) 4 = 1 + 3

Armor Check Penalty: -1
Special Abilities:
Fatherfall 1/day, +2 on Disguise and Disguies becomes CS

Spells Known:
0: acid splash, arcane mark, dancing
lights, daze, detect magic, disrupt undead, flare, ghost sound,
light, mage hand, open/close, prestidigitation, ray of frost, read
magic
1: Grease, Shocking Grasp, Shield, Magic Missile, Enlarge Person, Color Spray
2:
3:
4:
5:
6:
7:
8:
9:

Spell per Day:
0: 3 (unlimited use)
1: 1 + 1
2:
3:
4:
5:
6:
7:
8:
9:

Gold: 4 gold

Equipment: Longsword, Chain shirt, Backpack, Bedroll, Rations, Canteen, Potions of Cure Light Wounds, Tent, Cooking Pot, Clothes, Fishing Pole

Weapons:
Longsword +3 to hit (+4 if using magic)         Damage: 1d8+3
Type:   S/P    Range: Melee   Crit Range: 19-20 X2      Notes: 

Armor: Chain Shirt

Max Dex Bonus: +4   AC Bonus: +4   ASF: 0%   Notes: Reduced armor check penalty from Armor Expert Trait

Rings:

Wondrous Items:

Mundane Items:

Background: One of the last surviving Brood. A race of dragons with the capacity to change forms. Adopted after being hatched, he led the life of a thief until a mob-boss had him and his friends nearly killed. He dissappeared for about ten years after discovering the fates of his friends and unlocking his heritage. his travels lead him into direct conflict

avorae

Quote from: Maverick Hunter Cake on March 24, 2012, 08:59:20 PM
Indeed. XD

Zames, Sam is now good to go, and are now just one player shy of start up. Once one more player gets their character sheet in, I will set up the OOC and the Game thread.  :D

Eek I am so sorry I will get my character up as soon as possible. I have been so busy with RL that i totally forgot to get started on it. :-[
Life is a hard game but the rewards are sweet if you know where to look.

Maverick Hunter Cake

avorae

Hmm... I've been wanting to try out the Summoner class and I've been a fan of Yuna from FF-X so I think that is who I will play for this game.

Stat roll: 4d6.takeHighest(3)=13, 4d6.takeHighest(3)=10, 4d6.takeHighest(3)=16, 4d6.takeHighest(3)=17, 4d6.takeHighest(3)=17, 4d6.takeHighest(3)=11

Maverick Hunter Cake

Quote from: avorae on March 25, 2012, 11:55:14 AM
Hmm... I've been wanting to try out the Summoner class and I've been a fan of Yuna from FF-X so I think that is who I will play for this game.

Okay, just keep in mind it's a bit different then FFX.

avorae

Right but it is a close enough fit that it will work without having to house rule to much if anything.

Maverick Hunter Cake

Quote from: avorae on March 25, 2012, 12:06:47 PM
Right but it is a close enough fit that it will work without having to house rule to much if anything.

It is very close to a FFX summoner...it's kinda uncanny.