Lost? In Space...

Started by Op3999, August 11, 2019, 03:32:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fredasce

Xas

Assigned Name: Xas

Model: Xasill-T-A76F32B

Homeworld: Osmosis Tech's Assembly Workshop (Former Desmedras).

Physical Details: Xas is a second-generation service "anthrodroid". They were designed to resemble humans and anthropomorphic beings as closely as possible, while still maintaining a clear-cut distinction, the most transparent being that they do not breathe and that they have a glowing chip on each temple that shows their emotional state (the most basics being white for stable, red for distressed, and pink for aroused). But unlike most anthropomorphic beings, Xas is able to accommodate both male and female genitalia, even though their appearance is that of a male human.

In the particular case of Xas, they are a standard-size anthrodroid, made slightly chubby to withstand subaquatic and outer-space pressure. Their bio-texture, resembling human skin, is faintly yellow and their eyes are slanted to prevent overexposure from strong light sources. Their dark hair is kept short, almost buzzcut, so that it doesn't hinder their tasks. They are always wearing the same company-issued navy blue coverall that displays its model, assigned name, and main functions thanks to its solar-powered fabric.

Backlog: Desmedras used to be a humble planet with little aspirations — that is until Osmosis Tech struck a bargain with its leaders. First, the Megacompany bought a small patch of land to work their AI technology, and while sweet-talking the planet's leaders, it slowly but surely was able to buy up the entire planet, becoming the first major company to ever achieve that. The locals complained, of course, but once it started generating employment, income, and general stability the populace lost interest in the rebellion, instead offering worship-like loyalty to their seemingly-benevolent leaders.

Ten years after the acquisition, "Project Anthrodroid" was greenlit, and with it, the tests. It took Osmosis fifteen years to perfect the first model, aptly dubbed "Abraham", and as soon as they could figure out prosthetics for genitalia, they forced the athrodroids to breed between themselves. Seeing that the effort had been fruitless, they instead went a step further and made the anthrodroids mingle with humans — also a meaningless attempt. That was when they discovered that the anthrodroids were infertile, which meant that they could at least control their population.

Xas came to be five years after Abraham as a second-generation model. These anthrodroids were a clear upgrade from the previous generation, the most important being the addition of free will. Xas was created to serve as a crew droid — meaning that chores like cooking, crafting, and even counseling are some of their functions. They were deployed by the company when hired by ship's captains, and then immediately put on storage until the next contract. However, they last thing they remember was working at a medium-size interstellar freight, and when they woke up, Xas found out they had been kept in a special pod filled with ParaGel, a rather rare synthetic substance used to preserve non-organic beings from rusting or having their circuits ruined, while also preventing their software from updating or running.

Functionalities:
-Crafting (especially tents, furniture, even weapons to hunt game).
-Cooking (has over half a million recipes from various planets and can accommodate several diets).
-Translator (can immediately interpret up to four languages at once unless it's an obscure or dying tongue).
-Counseling (they are able to accompany a psychiatric patient or someone in need of guidance).
-Outer-space traversal (they are able to withstand up to thirty minutes outside of a spaceship and an atmosphereless environment).
-Subaquatic traversal (they may withstand up to 100 meters of water pressure before collapsing).

Played by: Fredasce.

My O/O's
Request Thread
Let my heart be still a moment, and this mystery explore

Op3999

Sorry for the late reply.  Had a busy week with family and whatnot.

Now, Xas looks pretty interesting and I like the direction you're going with with their skill sets.  The idea of a company trying to create androids life-like enough to procreate (and at that point, they've just created life, haven't they?) is really cool!

So, at this point, we'd have plenty of characters.  Who's still with us?

c0i9z

orderNchaos

Quote from: Op3999 on September 01, 2019, 08:54:46 AM

Now, Xas looks pretty interesting and I like the direction you're going with with their skill sets.  The idea of a company trying to create androids life-like enough to procreate (and at that point, they've just created life, haven't they?) is really cool!

I'm still here. 

JFD99

Fredasce

Quote from: Op3999 on September 01, 2019, 08:54:46 AM

I would still like to play, so I'm here :)

My O/O's
Request Thread
Let my heart be still a moment, and this mystery explore

Op3999

Okay, awesome.  So, here's an update:

I'm in the process of getting things set up, but I want to make sure I set things up properly.  Right now, I'm working on designing a map for the ship, but just a heads up, it's going to look pretty rough.  I'm just setting it up in MS Paint so people have a general idea of what's where and in relation to what.

After that's done, I'm going to get the forum set up, set up threads, etc. and I'll link from this thread back to that one when I've got that all sorted.

Any questions?

Ontan

I'm also in!

At some point, I'll do a quick revision of my character sheet, and make the details of Earth's history a little vaguer. I hope I wasn't overstepping or anything; I figured it didn't affect anybody else's characters, but given that the details aren't a crucial part of mine, I'm more than happy to ditch it.

Op3999

Right now, there's nothing you said that conflicts with what I'm thinking, but if it's alright with you, I may make small amendments to things in the future just to fit what you've got in with the overall setting I have in my head.

Sangheili

I believe I would like to join this as well, if that's alright. I think my character is quite a bit different from most of yours, which is what I am going for. I wanted to go with the idea of playing as a really large alien, but I wanted to stray far from playing a "tough guy" sort of character. I'm interested in the idea of having a character who, despite being a massive predator by nature, has a sweet, kind personality and is not too mentally prepared for violence or danger. I'm not sure how much danger our characters would tend to end up in, or how regularly, so I'm not sure if it will be too inconvenient to have a character who is not good at dealing with it. Otherwise, she is a doctor, and I don't believe anyone else picked up medicine as a skill.

Name: Kassathixil

Personality: In contrast to the common stereotypes about her species, Kas is not an aggressive individual and, in fact, loathes the idea of violence. Nevertheless, she is accustomed to her appearance coloring the opinions of strangers towards her. In response, Kas always endeavors to be as friendly and kind as possible, even when another is being rude towards her. She is charitable, sociable, and will often go out of her way to attempt to make new friends.

However, Kas has never personally known poverty, and has not wanted for wealth through any part of her life. She could be considered sheltered, and she has never been in a situation that one would consider legitimately dangerous. As a surgeon, she is capable of handling stress in general, but her background, coupled with her aversion to violence, makes her mentally poorly-prepared for danger.

Species/Description: Ilyassani
The Ilyassani are a physically large, reptillian species (with a similar basic body structure to this image). Being predators by nature, they have powerful muscles with sharp claws and teeth meant for hunting. They often average around seven feet in height, and can easily weigh well-over seven hundred pounds, so they are much larger than most other intelligent, spacefaring species. Males and females are similarly sized, and can be difficult for other species to distinguish visually. Kas, specifically, has an average build for her species, though perhaps with somewhat less muscle mass than a trained soldier. She has dark green scales and vibrant red eyes.

Backstory: Kassathixil, or "Kas", as she is usually known, is a woman who would be considered an oddity among her own kind. Her species, the Ilyassani, are often stereotyped in their corner of the galaxy as bloodthirsty warriors or dangerous mercenaries. Indeed, her species does have a violent past and many do willingly seek those roles, but Kas is a model example of an exception. Perhaps as a consequence of being born away from her homeworld, her upbringing did not instill all of those same values into her.

In stark contrast to the natural inclinations of her predator species, Kas has a strong distaste for violence. She cannot say that she has even been in a fight in her life, and even goes as far as being a "vegetarian", in the sense that she refuses to eat meat that any animal had to die to create. Her species are obligate carnivores and must eat meat, but with lab-grown meat being cheap and widely-available, she sees no reason to kill for her food. She has a love for life and nature, and as a reasonably skilled amateur artist, often chooses those as her subjects.

Professionally, Kas was initially drawn to the more practical study of the creatures she enjoyed drawing. She started out her university education in the field of xenobiology, but her more charitable nature slowly pushed her into a field to help other people more directly. She transitioned her study into the medical field. While perhaps taking a few years longer, she did successfully work through the entire process to begin practicing medicine. At this point, she no longer lived among her own kind and worked mostly among the other alien species that could reasonably travel within their local galactic neighborhood. As a result, she learned how to treat multiple species, and eventually specialized as a surgeon.

For the long-lived Ilyassani, careers are not always a life-long choice, and more recently, Kas has progressed into a more research-oriented subset of medicine. After another few years of study, she has delved into the field of pathology, specifically microbiology pertaining to bacteria and viruses. While treating and saving the lives of individuals throughout her career has been fulfilling for her, she has the higher aspiration of one day being able to cure entire diseases through her contributions.

Skills:
Medicine (including surgery on multiple species)
Microbiology
Knowledgeable in xenobiology
Amateur artist (drawing, sculpting, other crafts)
O/o

Op3999

Alright, character looks good, we've talked about it in PMs and now, for the moment I've been making people wait far too long for, here's a link to the OOC of the RP with a registry for IC threads at the bottom:

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=310422.0

Now, before you go through that link and actually see the map I've drawn, I just want to ask you to go easy on me.  I apparently... suck at map-making and they look kind of awful.  If any of you have any questions about the layout or want any additional information about rooms, just ask me and I'll clarify where I can.

And with that, let's move the rest of this to or new OOC thread!

Wolfy

Apologies for posting here, but I'm sure if I'm allowed to post in the OOC. xD are you...still accepting people?

Op3999

Absolutely!

For now, why don't we chat in PM.  Feel free to read through the other character sheets and the posts in the IC threads (we haven't gotten too far, yet) to get a feel for what's going on.  I'm here to answer any questions you might have about the setting.

Wolfy

After conferring with OP, I'd like to introduce Eris. <3

Name: Eris

Species: Formian
A race of amorphous creatures formed from a water-based liquid on their planet, each formian is formed from a central core that collects the liquid around them to form a body, with the core acting as a nucleus to that body. They can take any shape desired, though most choose to replicate the same form as those they are dealing with, both out of habit and to put them at ease. Due to the nature of their body, their internal organs are all within the core of their body. Some formians are able to also split off parts of their core to form smaller ones that are linked to the central core as a hive mind system, allowing them to do some things remotely if desired. Injury to the core leads to death, though injury to the amorphous body surrounding it is only a minor inconvenience that needs a reformation of the body. If a formian has chosen to separate their core into sub systems, injury to one of these sub-cores leads to a surge of pain through their entire system, and will normally leave them unconscious for several days to recover.

In addition to this, maintaining control of separate cores is very taxing for a Formian, so most choose to forgo seperation. As Eris was already born like that, she is slightly more used to it but still finds it extremely tiring as her body uses up three times as much energy as normal when split apart.

Backstory:
Born onto the Formian homeworld of Aquatar, Eris's core was hatched with an interesting oddity. While most formians chose to seperate their core into different bodies, Eris was born from the start with her core in three parts. The reason was left up to a genetic anomaly, but her strange birth was not the only thing that form the girls odd tendencies. Aquatar, a planet entirely covered in water, was left behind when she became curious regarding other species. They visited now and then to her planet, and a young Eris was always curious and shape shifted into them whenever she could. Bubble cities had been erected to allow for trade and commerce with other species, and she found herself always among the different people there. Her life was spent growing to appreciate other cultures and retain their knowledge, leading to her become well versed in different languages and trade tactics. This, along with her own practice from a young age at controlling three cores instead of one, lead her to become a diplomat in all but name as she became older. With the ability to be in three different rooms at once, she found it easy to multitask different prospects at a time. Now, awake on a mysterious ship with other people, she seeks to learn just what is going on board the mystery ship they now find themselves on.

Skills:
Polyglot: Eris has a functional range of different languages at her disposal thanks to her youth spent among passing races.
Merchant: Generally good at guessing the cost of things.
Multitask: She's able to seperate herself into three different bodies to do as much work as possible, though they must remain within at most 30 feet or else her sub cores fall inert until back within range.
Shapeshifter: She's able to shift her form to match other races appearances. While this is mostly use to put her other crew members at ease, it can prove useful in dealing with unknown races.

Eris

ZephySempai

I'd really love to be apart of this. Sci-Fi has always been a big thing for me and I can't get enough of it. If you'll all accept me, I'd love to give this a shot.

@Wolfy Hows it going :D Long time no chat. Always good to see familiar people.

Name: Xexas Avrilae

Appearance: Xexas is by no means a threatening presence. His life and personality has shaped him into suppressing his energy to the point where he could be standing in the middle of a crowded room and nobody would notice him. Deep ruby eyes generally hide behind thick-rimmed glasses that fortunately block out the blue-light from the many screens he spends most of his time staring at. One female friend whom, to his anxious dismay, decided to stick by his side most of his teenage life compared his tall, dark and athletic frame as a “pleasant surprise” hidden beneath his loose-fitted clothing and lack of socially acceptable fashion sense.

His angular face is usually framed by thick brown hair a few shades darker than his caramel skin. Perhaps if his lips could for a proper smile, one would possibly find the dark-skinned Human “cute”. Too bad the young man subconsciously equates his very presence as an open invitation for others to laugh at him.

Personality: Xexas spends most of the time just outside your peripheral vision due to his social anxiety. He’d rather not enter conversations with other “Complex” life forms if he can avoid it. Still, these social interactions are nearly impossible to avoid, so he has developed a basic grasp of small-talk and strategies around diverting the conversation in any direction other than himself.

Those who do manage to get his lips to part will say that he is “Nice” or “Smart”. He isn’t. It is just an assumption those around him make when he uses compliments to turn other’s attention back toward themselves. When he’s asked a question he usually has an answer. Even without being apart of most conversations he is an excellent listener. People seem to hold that skill at a high regard. He wonders which is more valuable between silently thinking to yourself or being able to be accepted by others socially.

His research and study are easily the subjects of his passion. Stretching his mind to is capacity in the privacy of his own personal space brings out a smile and excitement like no other task he’s experienced. If spending his hours like this meant sacrificing his chance at being accepted by society, it was a sacrifice he was willing to make.

Species: Human

Backstory: Xexas grew up on a seemingly prosperous world made of 87% Humans and a mix of other Nonhuman races. Whilst this world seemed like an idea home from the outside, the inside mostly catered to Humans. All others were treated as 2nd class citizens. Xexas’ father, once an enforcer of these prejudice laws, joined a civil rights movement group to bring equality to his Home world. He became a prominent voice in the fight for others and inevitably exposed himself to political backlash.

Xexas was always quiet. Now, with the stigma brought to his home by his father, many avoided him as they did most Xenofiles of this world. Outcasted, he resented his father for his line of work. As an act of rebellion, Xexas enrolled himself into military school. Where the young boy hoped this would allow him to integrate with the dominant society, he soon discovered most Humans hated anything different from themselves: including other Humans. He was bullied and picked on for his socially awkward personality. Outcasted once more, but this time, for his own faults.

Perhaps his father was the same?

As he grew separate from the majority, it allowed Xexas time to think and develop his own sense of self. Along with the standard military teachings of Self-Defense, Tactics, and weapons training he took an interest in Zoology, Biology and other studies of life as he felt the different concepts of social hierarchies fascinating. Eventually, he grew obsessed with everything different from his fellow man. This sacrifice has met with some backlash from some of his fellow soldiers. It seemed they would make a sport out of him whenever the opportunity presented itself. During Combat training, Xexas was more often the Dummy others would apply their practices on. He spent much of this time being thrown to the ground or having cans shot off the top of his head. Whilst meant to rattle the young man, Xexas seemed to become more resilient to physical and mental abuse. The things they did just didn't seem to bother him as much.

Upon graduating, he reunited with his father and apologized for his foolishness. He also informed his parents that he would spend the rest of his life as a researcher to possibly discover what links all life together as one and possibly help end the conflicts within his Homeworld.

Skills:
Biology
Anatomy & Physiology
Economics
Zoology
Xenology
History
Psychology

Op3999

Welcome and what an interesting character you have there!

There are a couple things I'd like to talk about, clarify and/or discuss real quick, though.  Once we're on the same page, I think it'll be great to have Xexas join us!

Now, first, I noticed that you described Xexas as dark-skinned in his appearance, but the ref is pretty pale.  Is that a typo or something we should keep in mind despite the reference used?

Second, I'd like to talk about Skills a little bit.  Xexas' skills are a bit broad.  He seems proficient in just about every one-on-one combat technique which seems a bit odd to me considering that, from his personality and history, his focus seems to lean more towards academics.  If you could trim the skills down a bit to reflect those that are most important to his character, that would really help to make him a better fit for the RP.

There's a difference between skills and Skills as a category.  You might have training in the former, but the latter are things that define your character, like a doctor's understanding of medicine or a hacker's understanding of computers.  Anything that they're not as adept at can still be part of their background and improved (which is something you can do with the labs, gym and training rooms), but until then, should be left more as part of a character's background than their listed skills.

Does that sound alright?

ZephySempai

Quote from: Op3999 on September 24, 2019, 09:59:26 PM
Welcome and what an interesting character you have there!

There are a couple things I'd like to talk about, clarify and/or discuss real quick, though.  Once we're on the same page, I think it'll be great to have Xexas join us!

Now, first, I noticed that you described Xexas as dark-skinned in his appearance, but the ref is pretty pale.  Is that a typo or something we should keep in mind despite the reference used?

Second, I'd like to talk about Skills a little bit.  Xexas' skills are a bit broad.  He seems proficient in just about every one-on-one combat technique which seems a bit odd to me considering that, from his personality and history, his focus seems to lean more towards academics.  If you could trim the skills down a bit to reflect those that are most important to his character, that would really help to make him a better fit for the RP.

There's a difference between skills and Skills as a category.  You might have training in the former, but the latter are things that define your character, like a doctor's understanding of medicine or a hacker's understanding of computers.  Anything that they're not as adept at can still be part of their background and improved (which is something you can do with the labs, gym and training rooms), but until then, should be left more as part of a character's background than their listed skills.

Does that sound alright?

Sorry about all that. I made A LOT of changes before posting and didn't properly proof everything.

When it comes to his picture, it was the only one I could find that closely resembled what I was going for. Unfortunately I dont have the Photoshop abilities to recolor it myself. I'm envious of others who do.

I fed his military skills into his history and just left his specialties. Originally I felt as though I put too much into his history (wrote a book) so I reduced much of it before posting. After making further edits to the original I think I was able to boil it down to a good, brief summary.

Aside from a collection of small edits this is the only part that was significantly changed.

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Along with the standard military teachings of Self-Defense, Tactics, and weapons training he took an interest in Zoology, Biology and other studies of life as he felt the different concepts of social hierarchies fascinating. Eventually, he grew obsessed with everything different from his fellow man. This sacrifice has met with some backlash from some of his fellow soldiers. It seemed they would make a sport out of him whenever the opportunity presented itself. During Combat training, Xexas was more often the Dummy others would apply their practices on. He spent much of this time being thrown to the ground or having cans shot off the top of his head. Whilst meant to rattle the young man, Xexas seemed to become more resilient to physical and mental abuse. The things they did just didn't seem to bother him as much.

Hope it suffices :)

MonteCristo

Hey I'm pretty interested in this idea for now, any idea what would be nice to have right now or what kind of character I should think of, I have a bit of trouble reading so much before now but I am interested.

Op3999

Oh geeze, I'm sorry for taking so long to reply to this!  Life hit me and then when I went to reply to stuff, I glossed over the original interest thread.  I'm really sorry about that!

@Zephy:  Xexas looks good to go, now and don't worry about how long the character sheet is.  Honestly, that just gives other players more perspective if they take the time to actually read through it and for me, it gives me more material to work with.  As far as I'm concerned (if you're still interested), you're cleared to start posting!

@MonteCristo:  I'll be honest, with specific specialties, we have a lot of stuff covered already, so you shouldn't feel the need to fill a particular role.  Whatever role you'd like to play, I'd say to go for it, but if you want to brainstorm, help throw together some ideas, I'd love to discuss that via PM, if you're still interested.

Op3999

Things are going pretty good and I'm really happy with the work my players have been doing so far, but I would really like to expand the pool of players and characters.  Still looking for more people for this!

Ty

Interested, but will need a bit to read the people so far and digest. If anyone has a suggestion of something that could play into or against a part of their character I'm open to using that to riff off (and hopefully ease some early drama)

EDIT : Looking at the date of the last post, this is of course assuming things are still in a suitable spot for recruitment.

Op3999

@Ty:  That's a good idea and reminds of something I've overlooked.  The RP is split into three threads atm to reflect the three floors of the ship plus one more for a OOC.  Links to each separate thread are in the beginning of the individual threads, so if you want to see what's been posted so far, I need to at least give you a link to one of them.

On that note, here's a link to the OOC:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=310422.0

(Also, I've added a link to the OOC in the first post of this thread so that it's easier for prospective players to peruse the RP so far)