Deus Vult! - A historic AU set during the Third Crusade

Started by Primarch, November 25, 2018, 11:53:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Primarch

The second Crusade was a failure.
The new Pope, Gregory VIII, has proclaimed that the capture of Jerusalem was punishment for the sins of Christians across Europe.
A cry has gone out for a new Crusade. England & France have ceased their war and begun making preparations. All across Europe the Holy Cross is being taken up.

PRO FIDE, PRO UTILITATE HOMINUM

I'm looking to start our own little version of the Third Crusade beginning in 1189 AD. One of the important parts I might stress is that while this is based on a historical period I intend for this to be a historic AU. We will replace historic individuals with our own characters and make it our own story. This is intended to be a long term game designed for players interested in world-building and plot development.

Do I need to be a history buff to take part?
No. This is not intended to be strictly grounded in historic fact. It may help to brush up on wikipedia but generally speaking this will aim to be a fun RP against a dramatic setting.

Will you be 'GMing' the story?
Not really. This is a collaborative narrative and anyone who wishes to participate will be expected to contribute to the overall experience. I will set up a Discord chat we can use to keep in contact, plot events, organised and world build but I will not be GMing. At most I will be a first among equals who might nudge things along or take the lead as we get started.

Do I have to play as a Crusader/Knight? Will there be room for female characters?
You are under no obligation to play as a Crusader. You are more than welcome to play a female character including a warrior woman.

The game will be broken up into two types of threads. "Plot threads" which will focus on the main plot (arranging and taking part in the Crusade) and "General threads" which will be open/sandbox RP in the setting. You may wish to play a character who has no direct involvement in the main plot and takes part strictly in the general threads, this is perfectly acceptable. I might advise keeping in mind whatever character you decide to play will still need to be someone with a reason to interact with the rest of the roster (which will likely be primarily Crusaders/Nobility/Monarchs) but you are free to explore options. The character sheet will aim to be quick & easy so taking up smaller, less important or 'for fun' characters should be viable. 

Are we limited to the European/Crusader side or can I play a Muslim character?"
Not at the start. I would very much prefer to generate a healthy roster of characters on the Crusader side, being the main focus of the plot. Once the game is moving & a healthy roster of characters is established we will open the opposite side of the conflict.

Lastly and I hope it goes without saying but this game may deal with sensitive religious themes. Characters may have prejudices authentic to the period and vilify enemy combatants. Players on the other hand are expected to treat the topic respectfully. While I'm sure we're all reasonable, open minded adults on the off chance a player displays prejudices on an OOC context they will be removed from the game.

~~~
I will put up a character sheet & further information on sufficient show of interest.
Questions, Comments & suggestions are welcome.

[float=right][img][/img][/float][b]Character:[/b]
[b]Player:[/b]

[b]Role:[/b]
[b]Specialties:[/b]
[list]
[li][/li]
[li][/li]
[li][/li]
[/list]

[b]Personality:[/b]
[list]
[li][/li]
[li][/li]
[li][/li]
[/list]

[b]History:[/b]
[list]
[li][/li]
[li][/li]
[li][/li]
[/list]

[b]Relationships/Connections:[/b]
[list]
[li][/li]
[li][/li]
[li][/li]
[/list]

[b]Additional Details:[/b]
[list]
[li][/li]
[li][/li]
[li][/li]
[/list]

Historic Roles
Crusaders
King/Queen of England - Claimed by Cliffspiracy
King/Queen of France
Holy Roman Emperor/Empress - Claimed by Primarch
Prince/ess of Hungary
Grand Admiral of Sicily

Levantine Crusader States & Crusading Orders
King/Queen of Jerusalem - Claimed by The Dark Raven
Count/ess of Esessa
Grand Master of the Knights Templar
Grand Master of the Knights Hospitaller
Grandmaster of Teutonic Order

Other:
Lord/Lady of Armenian Cilicia - Eastern Christian Ally

The Dark Raven

Check my A/A | O/O | Patience is begged. Momma to Rainbow Babies and teetering toward the goal of published author. Tentatively taking new stories.

Primarch

Amarlo

While I am extremely interested in this, I not a fan of either religion present. So I'm afraid I must abstain because I just have a feeling I'll cross a line somewhere and end up banned. xD lmfao

Seduce my mind and my body will follow.
Amarlo's O&Os
Absences and Apologies

The Dark Raven

Those were the religions present during the Crusades, so its a hazard there, yes.

Check my A/A | O/O | Patience is begged. Momma to Rainbow Babies and teetering toward the goal of published author. Tentatively taking new stories.

Primarch

I'm really looking to avoid individuals who might have religious prejudices or might be inclined towards hateful remakes towards one religion or the other. If you feel this might apply to yourself probably best to avoid, if not please feel free to take part.

NiceTexasGuy

What a fascinating period. 

When history buffs like me (but not super-serious students of history) think "crusade" this is the one.

If you like old movies, this is the one King Richard left England for, and his younger brother the evil Prince John took over, only to be thwarted by Robin Hood.  Or was it Ivanhoe?

Or, if you like movies about dysfunctional families that don't base their success on car chases, explosions, and ignoring plot holes, check out Peter O'Toole and Katharine Hepburn (and Anthony Hopkins and Timothy Dalton) in The Lion in Winter.  Eleanor of Aquitaine had been married to Phillip II (France), that marriage was annulled, whereupon she married Henry II (England) - among their sons were Richard and John.  Who else but Katharine Hepburn, right?

Don't worry if you're not familiar with all the personalities involved - very few people are, and they've spent a lifetime studying the period.  This role play is somewhat alternative universe with original characters where YOU might conceivably play a son or daughter of Henry and Eleanor, ripe for adventure and intrigue.

Yes, what an incredible period - that age where a man might commit unspeakable horrors by our standards, yet possess a keen sense of nobility in other matters.  I remember the story of some poorer knight or nobleman who had been captured by Saladin and was paroled for the purpose of going home to raise his own ransom.  When he failed to raise the money, he returned to Saladin to resume life as his prisoner, because honor required him to do so.

Perspective players, put aside your prejudices and ignore what you've been told by people who have no idea what they're talking about when it comes to religion - embrace the opportunity to experience what it means to believe in the value of your soul, and to be willing to die for your faith.

I have no business getting involved in this - but put me down for a definite maybe, someone who will keep an eye on how the recruiting process goes.
What a shame -- The money you spent on those tattoos could have gone toward a boob job.
===
My Ons and Offs:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=97303.0
==============
I have taken The Oath of Don't Waste My Friggin' Time

The Dark Raven

And if you have need of a history geek for details, I'm your girl.  ;)

Primarch

Now there's the enthusiasm I like to see!

At the risk of getting slightly ahead of myself, does anybody have a preference on the character/type of character they may like to play? I was considering taking on the Holy Roman Emperor. Possibly a touch younger than Fred was at the time and you know....might spend a bit more time actually in the Holy land but there's something about a German Warrior-King that appeals to me.

snowdrop

Now this sounds super interesting! -- if a tad intimidating! I've actually out of pure coincidence read quite a bit of crusader and medieval Europe history just recently, and I really love it, but overall my knowledge is... very mediocre at best, hah. I'll have to see if I can check out a good medieval period movie or something to get myself more into that groove, and see how I feel :-) I don't dare commit to this just yet, but I'm interested for sure!

The Dark Raven

Kingdom of Heaven (Director's Cut) gives a general feel but takes place slightly before the Third.

Primarch

Oh please don't feel intimidated! As I said in the opening post this will be a collaborative narrative. I'll set up a Discord group and we can hash out any details we need, play it out comfortably. The Crusades could be very complex so I expect we'll need to stream line certain details (such as the logistics of a Crusade) and I would reckon we'll probably want to assume there it some 'central hub' where our characters can meet and generally operate.

On another note I will get my character up before the weekend, give you all a sample of what the completed CS should look like. If you want to put something together yourself please feel free. We can start getting a few bits together while giving other people more time to get involved. If we're happy to proceed then, we most certainly can!

Tokyorose627

This sounds super interesting! Been trying to find games with some sort of twist or interesting historical elements involved, and thi sine definitely has it! For the game, are you looking for RL faceclaimes or can we use anything? As well, for the topic of women warriors, are you wanting the same amount as male for female, or would you rather have less of a certain type of character as to not have an overflow of one type?

Primarch

RL face claims please.

Right now I'm not concerned with numbers on any type of character. So if several people want to play an Eleanor of Aquitaine type that's just fine.

The Dark Raven

Quote from: Primarch on November 29, 2018, 02:26:30 AM
RL face claims please.

Right now I'm not concerned with numbers on any type of character. So if several people want to play an Eleanor of Aquitaine type that's just fine.

Totally going that sort of vibe on the Levant side (sort of an Isabella set).

Primarch

Character: Sigismund I
Player: Primarch

Role: Holy Roman Emperor
Specialties:

• Administration - Although he is mostly known for his military achievements throughout Germany & Italy, Sigismund has also proven himself to possess a keen mind in relation to matters of stewardship of his realms. This talent has only developed with his twenty seven years of experience as a Monarch.
  • Heavy Cavalry Tactics - It is considered common wisdom that if Sigismund is at the head of a force of German Knights it is best to get out of the way.
  • Duelist - Sigismund has proven his capabilities as a consummate military man not just in matters of leadership but also personal combat. He is a highly skilled combatant. While he will normally default to a lance or warhammer to deal with the armour of his opposition, his weapon of choice is a classic two handed longsword.

Personality:

• Honourable - Sigismund has a solid reputation for honouring his vows & pacts, he respects the rights of his vassals and does not hold a grudge once formal reconciliation has been made.
  • Pragmatic - Sigismund has little interest in how a situation should be or in theory, he has a strong preference for the reality of a situation before him.
  • Ambitious - It largely goes without saying, Sigismund started off with a largely hollow title but desired a true empire. His ambition has not dimmed in any capacity and he continues to chase his desires.

History:

• Sigismund was born in 1149, as his father was a Hohenstaufen and his mother a Welf he descended from the two leading families in Germany, making him an acceptable choice for the Empire's prince-electors.
  • His youth was largely spent in the company of his grandfather, the King of Germany. From a young age he demonstrated significant skill at arms. While Germany was largely fractured and in disarray the King saw Sigismund's united bloodlines as the key to uniting the competing powers that had feuded for decades.
  • In 1172 while on his deathbed it was witnessed the King gave Sigismund the royal insignia, indicating him as his desired heir. Sigismund pursued the Crown and a month later the Princely Electors designated him the next German King. He was crowned King of the Romans several days later.
  • While Sigismund was energetic, competent and had growing support among German nobility, he had little in the way of wealth to support his ambitious. In 1174 he made his first move against the wealthy cities of Northern Italy. His efforts were largely successful, in Pavia he received the Iron Crown of Lombardy and the title of King of Italy. This first campaign took him as far as Rome where he was eventually received his coronation by the Pope and became Holy Roman Emperor.
  • Sigismund returned to Germany where he continued his efforts to unite the German powers. While many expected he would primarily aim to achieve this through political means, it was largely achieved by finding matters of mutual benefit and common ground. He also made significant efforts towards reestablishment of the Corpus Juris Civilis or the Roman rule of law, which counterbalanced the papal power that dominated the German states since the conclusion of the Investiture Controversy.
  • One of Sigismund's efforts to increase his powers and resources saw him marry the Countess of Burgundy, adding her sizable realm to his possessions. Though a political marriage they had great affection for one another, it was said "The only thing Sigismund desires more than power is her smile." It was not to last however as she passed while giving birth to their first child, who also did not survive.
  • Sigismund's rule resumed with his actions towards unifying Germany, campaigning in Italy to secure his hold over that land and quite routinely quarreling over the Pope on matters of Imperial Authority and the Empire's relationship with Rome.
  • The Emperor and the Pope eventually reconciled which put certain matters to rest though a great deal of Sigismund's time was spent going back & forth between Germany & Italy to solidify his power and authority.
  • At the Diet of Mainz in 1188, in response to Pope Gregory VIII releasing a papal bull calling for the Third Crusade to the Holy Land, "in the midst of a scene of wild excitement" Sigismund vowed to take up the Cross.

Relationships/Connections:

• Coming Soon.....
  • Coming Soon.....
  • Coming Soon.....

Additional Details:

• Thus far Sigismund has not taken another bride though it is no secret he has use the potential marriage as a diplomatic tool. It is commonly believed he has a regular lover though her identity varies based on the rumour or gossip of the day.

Primarch

For those that are still interested, I added a list of potential historic roles to the base of the opening post. They link to their historical counterpoint. The Dark Raven had advised via PM she is working on a Queen of Jerusalem. If anyone else wishes to claim a role please feel free and I can mark it off. Ta!

WaitingCynicism

Lovely Complex

I am interested in this and if may lay claim to the King of England, please.

Do we message you the sheet or turn it in here?
💋 On's & Off's 💋 F-List 💋

Prosak

Quote from: Primarch on November 26, 2018, 06:19:12 PM
I'm really looking to avoid individuals who might have religious prejudices or might be inclined towards hateful remakes towards one religion or the other. If you feel this might apply to yourself probably best to avoid, if not please feel free to take part.

Do you mean just Ooc or Ic too? It is a bit hard to avoid prejudice ic, as it was a prejudice war. The western cultures involved had prejudice based on Muslim aggression into western lands. And the Muslims had prejudice based on the full on western invasion their territory skirmishes  resulted in. Edit: people back then just were not as Woke as we are now lol.

The Dark Raven

I think he means ooc.  IC it just was part of the times, really.

Primarch

Blimey, almost since anyone posts in and now here we are.

@Cliffspiracy, PM it me. Thanks

@Prosak as the Dark Raven said, I'm not looking for OOC religious prejudice, IC is somewhat expected.

Prosak

Don't worry about it OOC from me. I absolutely have no interest in Religious chatter. haha. I acknowledge the possibility of god but I don't practice anything.

WaitingCynicism

The Dark Raven

Haven't heard a peep.  Likely not, but it's up to Primarch.