Google's CEO on Washington, Lobbyists, the US and China

Started by Vekseid, October 02, 2010, 04:41:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vekseid

http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2010/10/googles-ceo-the-laws-are-written-by-lobbyists/63908/

"The average American doesn't realize how much of the laws are written by lobbyists" to protect incumbent interests, Google CEO Eric Schmidt told Atlantic editor James Bennet at the Washington Ideas Forum. "It's shocking how the system actually works."

In a wide-ranging interview that spanned human nature, the future of machines, and how Google could have helped the stimulus, Schmidt said technology could "completely change the way government works."

"Washington is an incumbent protection machine," Schmidt said. "Technology is fundamentally disruptive." Mobile phones and personal technology, for example, could be used to record the bills that members of Congress actually read and then determine what stimulus funds were successfully spent.

The full video is at the bottom of the article. It's twenty minutes well spent, I think.

Paradox

Thanks for passing this on, Veks. I'm glad Schmidt isn't succumbing to the temptation to get in bed with people in governmental power, which would be mighty lucrative even for a huge corporation like his.

"More than ever, the creation of the ridiculous is almost impossible because of the competition it receives from reality."-Robert A. Baker

Synecdoche17

Quote from: Paradox on October 02, 2010, 06:04:38 PM
Thanks for passing this on, Veks. I'm glad Schmidt isn't succumbing to the temptation to get in bed with people in governmental power, which would be mighty lucrative even for a huge corporation like his.

Yes, yes he is. Haven't you read the Google-Verizon net neutrality proposal? Awful. Seriously, awful. Thank God for FCC Chair Genawoski.
A book, a woman, and a flask of wine: /The three make heaven for me; it may be thine / Is some sour place of singing cold and bare — / But then, I never said thy heaven was mine.

Ons & Offs, Stories in Progress, and Story Ideas
Absences and Apologies

Revolverman

Quote from: Synecdoche17 on October 02, 2010, 07:38:26 PM
Yes, yes he is. Haven't you read the Google-Verizon net neutrality proposal? Awful. Seriously, awful. Thank God for FCC Chair Genawoski.

Never mind the ball they played with China.

This guy is in no place to talk.

Wolfy

Plus Google keeps a record of everything and anything you searched for in the last..5 years? O-o

Scaaaaary.

Paradox

Quote from: Synecdoche17 on October 02, 2010, 07:38:26 PM

Hmm. I heard stirrings but never actually read it. I will go investigate forthwith. I suppose he just puts up a good facade!

"More than ever, the creation of the ridiculous is almost impossible because of the competition it receives from reality."-Robert A. Baker

Qt

I believe Google is quite dangerous with all the information that they have gathered about everyone. I'm just glad that they aren't being too evil, search engines are literally the windows that allows people to see what is on the net, therefore censorship of search terms could really compromise the freedom of the Internet.

Asuras

Quote from: Vekseid"The average American doesn't realize how much of the laws are written by lobbyists" to protect incumbent interests

I think the average American doesn't know what a lobbyist is or what the word "incumbent" means. But in fact I think most Americans would actually agree that "incumbent interests" run things, whether they mean the liberal establishment or corporate America, relentless cynics that most Americans are.

But I think people should think about what lobbyists are. Labor unions have lobbyists. Environmental groups have lobbyists. Pro- and anti- abortion groups have lobbyists. Lobbyists are the representatives of an organized, interested group of people. I think that's democratic.

But anyone who thinks that "incumbent interests" are unimpeded should ask why we have campaign finance laws imperfect as they are.

Jude

If you like any type of entertainment, then there are lobbyists who are actively trying to affect the direction of policy in a way that benefits you.  Example:  video game fans and the ESA.