The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan

Started by Spero, January 19, 2015, 01:59:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spero

So for the past six months I have been powering threw The Wheel Of Time books by Robert Jordan.

It has its ups and its downs. I mean when it came to books 7-9 I thought I was going to just drop kick the books out my apartment window.  But now that I started books 11-13 I am happy I powered threw.

So are their any other Wheel of Time fans out there?
What was your favorite book?
The most heart touching moment?

Because I know that in those books, I have cried like a little girl more then once.

Favorite character?
What book did you hate the most?
And the questions could go on forever but I will stop here.
RP Status: Seeking New Roleplays // Muse Status: Active and Around // Mood Status: Hopeful
CRAVING!: Dark Fantasy & Warhammer 40k Roleplay! Please PM if you want to RP~

Purple Dusk

I've always found that I favoured the first two books the most (the first book is still my favourite of all of them).  I was a little disappointed with the 3rd book, though the 4th to 6th managed to keep me interested enough, but as you noted 7, 8, and 9... fortunate the last books help to put everything together (even if it was in somewhat of a rushed manner).

Can't remember crying, though I did have a few downer moments, especially Queen Tylin and Mat's first Aiel woman (uh, was it Melindhra?)

I'm hard pressed to pick a favourite character, but the three most on my mind right now are Moiraine, Rand, and Logain.

DarknessBorne

I've always had a special fondness for WoT.  I think Eye of the World will go down in history as a classic right up there with The Hobbit and LotR.

I see the early loss of Robert Jordan as a travesty.  I'm pretty well convinced that man had a lot more enthralling tales in him than fate allowed him to pen prior to his tragically early demise.  The sheer depth of the WoT universe is, to me, something I can only aspire to as an author myself.  I hope that universe is opened up for other writers to pen tales in, because there's so much there.  So many possibilities.

Once I'm approved, I do believe I'll get a WoT RPG organized.  It's too damn good not to.
Currently OPEN to new RPs.

Morrowclaw

When I was 12 I checked the first book out from the library and then returned for the second and third. They only had the first three books so I never finished the series until I picked it back up last year. I finished book 7 but sadly life got busy and I never went and picked up the rest of the series although I do plan on it.

I think the first book was amazing, there was such great writing and it really set the feel for a grand adventure. It was around book 4 I started feeling rather "Meh" towards it but 6 regained my love. I really love Lan, Perrin and Loial (sp?) and my unpopular opinion is Mat. I can't stand the guy even though I'm sure he'll be back in my good graces in later installments.
Partly for the hell of it
Solely out of boredom
Mostly for the story

Spero

Quote from: jcsimpson on January 29, 2015, 05:46:52 AM
When I was 12 I checked the first book out from the library and then returned for the second and third. They only had the first three books so I never finished the series until I picked it back up last year. I finished book 7 but sadly life got busy and I never went and picked up the rest of the series although I do plan on it.

I think the first book was amazing, there was such great writing and it really set the feel for a grand adventure. It was around book 4 I started feeling rather "Meh" towards it but 6 regained my love. I really love Lan, Perrin and Loial (sp?) and my unpopular opinion is Mat. I can't stand the guy even though I'm sure he'll be back in my good graces in later installments.

I felt the same about Matt in the early books but I have to say now his story is one my favorites. Perrin's story line goes back and forth some, but it also ends on a high note. All I can say it keep pushing forward. WARNING: 7, 8 and 9 I found really dry and dragging. The books pick up a lot in 10 and are back to being amazing at 11.
RP Status: Seeking New Roleplays // Muse Status: Active and Around // Mood Status: Hopeful

Spero

Quote from: DarknessBorne on January 24, 2015, 01:05:29 PM
I've always had a special fondness for WoT.  I think Eye of the World will go down in history as a classic right up there with The Hobbit and LotR.

I see the early loss of Robert Jordan as a travesty.  I'm pretty well convinced that man had a lot more enthralling tales in him than fate allowed him to pen prior to his tragically early demise.  The sheer depth of the WoT universe is, to me, something I can only aspire to as an author myself.  I hope that universe is opened up for other writers to pen tales in, because there's so much there.  So many possibilities.

Once I'm approved, I do believe I'll get a WoT RPG organized.  It's too damn good not to.

If you do I will join :D

Also if you ever start writing stories that go along with Wheel Of Time I would love to read them.

Morrowclaw

Is there lots of skirt smoothing and braid tugging in book 10 & 11  :P
Solely out of boredom
Mostly for the story

Greenwoodtree

I got to book 5-6 and quit...does it really get better? Is it possible to skip books :-P ? I hate that I quit, but then again, I quit Terry Goodkind too.   
"Sometimes your nearness takes my breath away; and all the things I want to say can find no voice.  Then, in silence, I can only hope my eyes will speak my heart."

Let's only say what our Hearts desire.
~Rumi

My Requests:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=243061.0
My Apologies: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=224775.0
My Preferences:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/onsoffs.php?u=56044

DarknessBorne

Quote from: HollyLouiseDantes on January 31, 2015, 05:37:21 AM
I got to book 5-6 and quit...does it really get better? Is it possible to skip books :-P ? I hate that I quit, but then again, I quit Terry Goodkind too.

Honestly, I think the WoT story after TGH should have been told in 6 to 7 books each about 80% as long as they turned out to be.

Even the best writers need good editors who aren't afraid to murder their darlings.  Much of the material rightfully belonged in spinoffs.

And here's a shameless plug for my WoT campaign: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=222703.0

Currently OPEN to new RPs.

Greenwoodtree

Quote from: DarknessBorne on January 31, 2015, 06:16:38 AM
Honestly, I think the WoT story after TGH should have been told in 6 to 7 books each about 80% as long as they turned out to be.

Even the best writers need good editors who aren't afraid to murder their darlings.  Much of the material rightfully belonged in spinoffs.

And here's a shameless plug for my WoT campaign: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=222703.0

I'm glad to hear someone else thinks about Wheel of Time like I do.  And I think I'm interested in your campaign.  I would need to refresh on the books, since I read the last one about 4-5 years ago.
"Sometimes your nearness takes my breath away; and all the things I want to say can find no voice.  Then, in silence, I can only hope my eyes will speak my heart."

Let's only say what our Hearts desire.
~Rumi

My Requests:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=243061.0
My Apologies: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=224775.0
My Preferences:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/onsoffs.php?u=56044

Deamonbane

I've been trying to get ahold of the first book for a long  time...
Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

Saidi

Read every single one of them. Love the series. Book nine, however, made me angry every time I turned a page. Not one of my favorites, but after that I was happy again.

Mat is hands down my favorite,  along with Nynaeve. Lol

Also, anyone caught that pilot last night?  Could have been worse. REE just seems to have done it to maintain rights. It was a bit of a slap in the face though. At least I liked Billy Zane (Ishamael)
Laughter is the shortest distance between two people. --Victor Borge

Help me revive my muse?

Spero

So I'm half way done with the last book now.....I don't want it to end ;.;

Wolven Soul

I loved 'The Wheel of Time'. 

My favorite of the books I would have to say was, 'The Shadow Rising'.  The one where Rand first goes to the Waste, and Perrin goes back to the Three Rivers.  I really enjoyed Perrin's adventures back there, it was a lot of fun. 

Perrin was definetly my favorite character because of his ability to talk to wolves.  I would freaking love to be able to do that, I love wolves, my favorite animal on the planet. 

I would have to say that my least favorite of the series is one that I have not even read yet.  That being, A New Spring.  Reason being, I was waiting for the next book in the series, and rather than continuing the story, he goes and makes a flipping prequel book.  Arggh. 

On a different note, the writer that Jordan's wife got to finish the series, Brandon Sanderson, is amazing.  If you have not checked his other books, particularly, 'The Stormlight Archive, you really, really should.  Great stuff, really really great stuff.
Est Sularis Oth Mithas

My O/O's

Morrowclaw

Oh boy. I found a link to the pilot for the WoT show. It's bad...really bad. Watch at your own caution. Jordan's wife is currently saying it's bad and the producers are trying to sue her for defamation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvNYIEN1vIg
Solely out of boredom
Mostly for the story

Wolven Soul

Holy crap I didn't realize that this existed.

Quote from: jcsimpson on February 15, 2015, 11:37:27 AM
Oh boy. I found a link to the pilot for the WoT show. It's bad...really bad. Watch at your own caution. Jordan's wife is currently saying it's bad and the producers are trying to sue her for defamation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvNYIEN1vIg
Est Sularis Oth Mithas

My O/O's

HairyHeretic

From what I hear, it's really not worth a watch.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Deamonbane

Well, started last week, with book one. Enthralled, so far and power-read through until I finished Dragon Reborn last night. Jordan does inherit the Tolkein legacy of going on and on a bit, but he was a masterful storyteller, and I can't wait to start book four when I get home tonight.
Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

Matttheman89

Quote from: Eri Oni on February 15, 2015, 01:52:52 AM
So I'm half way done with the last book now.....I don't want it to end ;.;

Well at least it won't end for awhile. Haha, the last book is a bear of a read. That said...I'm mixed about the ending myself. For the sake of spoilers I won't say much about it in depth though.

Wolven Soul

I liked the ending for the most part, though I am quite curious about what happens next, lol.
Est Sularis Oth Mithas

My O/O's

Matttheman89

I doubt we'll ever find out. I've heard that Robert Jordan had plans for at least one follow-up book after the end of the main series, detailing certain events that wouldn't be wrapped up by then. But with his untimely passing and lack of any credible notes left behind to plot it out with, I don't think his wife would sign off on it. I think I heard recently that a new encyclopedia for the series was being released, so I guess it's possible some of that information might get worked into that though.

Caehlim

Quote from: Matttheman89 on February 16, 2015, 06:10:51 PMI doubt we'll ever find out. I've heard that Robert Jordan had plans for at least one follow-up book after the end of the main series, detailing certain events that wouldn't be wrapped up by then. But with his untimely passing and lack of any credible notes left behind to plot it out with, I don't think his wife would sign off on it. I think I heard recently that a new encyclopedia for the series was being released, so I guess it's possible some of that information might get worked into that though.

Brandon Sanderson (the new author) has confirmed in several interviews that there will never be any follow up stories to the Wheel of Time series. Robert Jordan initially didn't want the current series written after his death, changing his mind only a short time before his death to allow another author to finish the series but only up until the planned end. Robert Jordan's widow (who is also the editor) is following her late husband's wishes and will not be giving permission for any further novels to be written.
My home is not a place, it is people.
View my Ons and Offs page.

View my (new)Apologies and Absences thread or my Ideas thread.

Aeons

Wheel of Time is probably one of the most frustrating fandoms there is.  How do you explain to people your love for a series that you admit you could skip over three books and it would actually be better?  It's full of some silly writing and it often drives me crazy, but there's something about it that works.  To me it's the Star Wars of fantasy writing.  I kind of wish someone took the idea from the author and then applied their writing talent to it.

Deamonbane

Tell them that the series is 14 BOOKS LONG! They will understand if you hop over two or three of them..

HisLovingPlaything

I loved the Wheel of Time. I felt that Brandon Sanderson did a good job taking over. Mat was definitely my favorite. I like scoundrels. :3 Almost all of the women were unbearable in it though. I think that Robert Jordan wanted like, a world not prejudiced by gender, but all his women just came off like overbearing man-haters rather than independent women. There are some exceptions, but in general the women of the Wheel of Time are a  grumpy bunch.

It's such a lovingly crafted setting. It's perfect for roleplay. I would love to do some one on one roleplay in this universe. I saw some intrepid souls forming a group thread, which sounds fun except I shy away from having more than one co writer. But yes!

Not taking on more stories at the moment! Sorry!