Is this the final design?

Started by Izu, July 10, 2014, 02:11:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Izu

Because for me personally, it's really dark. And I've been seeing it for 5 minutes maybe and my eyes are already hurting from the too dark top&bottom and light middle...

edit: just tested with #003 instead of #000 for background color and it feels much more natural and easier on the eyes...

edit2: or remove the background color and leave it to the default one...

ONs and OFFs || M/M Search || Izu's A&A
...Like reflections on the page, the world's what you create...

Aislinn

I agree with Izu. While I'm glad that members are excited about it's return, my eyes are not happy and it's triggering a headache. It would be preferable to have an option to completely turn it off or something.
"I am the one thing in life I can control
I am inimitable I am an original
I'm not falling behind or running late
I'm not standing still,
I am lying in wait.”

Stygia

Quote from: Aislinn on July 10, 2014, 02:15:35 PM
I agree with Izu. While I'm glad that members are excited about it's return, my eyes are not happy and it's triggering a headache. It would be preferable to have an option to completely turn it off or something.

This exactly, please. I have one friend who may leave because the contrast is physically painful for her to look at.

Izu

*mumbles on about the #EFF in the main content* ....

Ariel

As far as I know, Vekseid is still working on it.

I think the problem will be, for most people, is the contrast of the light blue and white we're used to and the dark blue and black header and footer. If the site was altogether one color scheme, then it would help and be better for the eyes.

It will take some getting used to, but I like it. I know some people have already said that they would rather it be less dark. I think that, if you suggest some schemes and other users agree with you, Vekseid might take it into consideration.

Also, Vek, if you're reading this: the reply box will stretch for as long as you type.

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Just a minor site bug. :-)
Not accepting new RPs

Apologies | Ons/Offs | Finds | Requests + Rumbelle Craving

Chrystal

Agreed. It is almost impossible to read anything above the menu buttons.

Dark text on a black background is bad. I don't have good eyesight anyway, and this is almost enough to make me abandon E and go RP somewhere else!

Please check out my latest A/A post.
I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!

King Serperior

Agreed.  My eyes are watering up some with the contrast.  I'm hoping there'll be some kind of "Toggle" feature to make it so it looks like it was pre-shoutbox for those who have sensitive eyes.

O/O's
A/A'sMonster Girl Palace
SFW Image Ideas for Scifi, Fantasy, Horror, and Steampunk Games! | My various characters, if you are curious! | I am a Rainbow Writer!
Post Rate: 1 post per game every 1-4 weeks on average  ||| I encourage any and all random PMs.

BeckyAnnn

My EYES! !!

Okay, so we have a new layout. Fine. Whatever.

But can we do something about the color scheme?

That is painful to look at.

Beguile's Mistress

I have cataracts and it's like staring at lightning during a thunderstorm for me.  It's a killer.  Migraine city and nausea here I come even with the SB closed cause the black is sucking up all the light above the forum.

GothicFires

I don't like the fact that i can't close the shoutbox. I'm not interested in it, will never have a need for it. The flow of the design is jarring.

Edited:

I tried scrolling down to hide most of this horror and click on a link to show new replies and the new page scrolls back up so it takes up half my screen again. That's just for a list of replies. I tested it on threads and I it takes up half the screen there too. I think saying that I hate it would be an understatement. The design shouldn't make the users have to do more work.
looking for new games
discord: Agara#3507

Izu

Just very quick example of other colors...

Nimmy

GothicFires, there's a button marked "Close Shoutbox" immediately beneath the typing field.

As for the contrast, I don't have particularly sensitive eyes, but the color scheme contrast is causing a little bit of an ache. I understand that this is probably just stage one of the redesign, but I, too, would like some color adjustments.

Izu

Another slightly different color sets...

Aislinn

Quote from: Beguile's Mistress on July 10, 2014, 02:26:46 PM
I have cataracts and it's like staring at lightning during a thunderstorm for me.  It's a killer.  Migraine city and nausea here I come even with the SB closed cause the black is sucking up all the light above the forum.

Yes. Exactly. I just have super sensitive eyes and it's causing issues.

Quote from: GothicFires on July 10, 2014, 02:28:46 PM
I don't like the fact that i can't close the shoutbox. I'm not interested in it, will never have a need for it. The flow of the design is jarring.

Agreed.
I'm not standing still,
I am lying in wait.”

Aislinn

Quote from: Nimmy on July 10, 2014, 02:32:46 PM
GothicFires, there's a button marked "Close Shoutbox" immediately beneath the typing field.

As for the contrast, I don't have particularly sensitive eyes, but the color scheme contrast is causing a little bit of an ache. I understand that this is probably just stage one of the redesign, but I, too, would like some color adjustments.

Yes but even if you 'close shoutbox'...the design and issues are still there. I think that is what was being referred to.
I'm not standing still,
I am lying in wait.”

Bloodied Porcelain

I'm with what everyone has said. I'd really like to at least see the colors changed. It's painful to look at and makes my OCD/ADD go all twitchy cause it's distracting even with the SB closed.
I want no ordinary lover. I want a storm. I want sleepless nights and endless conversations at four a.m. I want passion, I want madness.
I want someone who's able to make my whole body shiver from a distance and also pull me close to make sense of all my bones.

~ Bizarre, Beautiful, And Breathtaking ~
~ O/O ~ Seeking ~ A/A ~ Mirrors and Masks ~ Poetry ~
She walked with the universe on her shoulders and made it look like wings.

Flower

I hate to say something about it because I know a lot of work likely went into its design. However, staring at the colors for a bit, I do feel a bit sea sick. I am very appreciative about the Shoutbox's return since it allows new members to connect with old. Just hoping the colors change.

Oreo

Both of those color schemes are pleasing to me Izu. ♥

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

Beguile's Mistress

Having the black thing at the top just makes the lighter rest of the page a great big blur.  Takes a few minutes to for the eye to adjust and then BAM!  You post and you are back to hitting the wall again.

And this run on sentence thing in the box at the bottom is gonna make for horrible typing.

GothicFires

Quote from: Nimmy on July 10, 2014, 02:32:46 PM

Thanks Nimmy. I still think the design is not very user friendly with the design and spacing. It would be much better to have the shoutbox turn on/off in the settings and give it a separate box. The show unread post since last visit and show new replies to your posts are too far away from the main forum. Though i'm not fond of the buttons (or at least the look of them) It would be easier to use if those links were made into buttons and put on the same level.
looking for new games
discord: Agara#3507

Beguile's Mistress

Quote from: Oreo on July 10, 2014, 02:40:02 PM
Both of those color schemes are pleasing to me Izu. ♥
Being able to adjust the colors for ourselves would be a big help. 

Izu

Quote from: Beguile's Mistress on July 10, 2014, 02:44:25 PM
Being able to adjust the colors for ourselves would be a big help.
It was part of the 'Wishlist' for the new system that Veks is developing, but unless its release is coming as well, I'd rather go back to how it used to be...

Xenphir

I really appreciate the hard work put into the new shout box, but I will put my agreement here on a different color scheme. White and/or light blue like the rest of the forum would be best I think for now until/if we are able to choose ourselves.

Beguile's Mistress

I just left my office to get a cup of coffee and ran into a door frame because my depth perception is totally out of whack.  I even have E on remote from my home computer on a narrower window and it's messing me up.  Heaven know what have a full screen view will be like.

Dotley

Echoing mostly what everyone else has said. I'm appreciative of the time and effort that must have went into getting the Shoutbox up and running again, but the black/blue bar compared to the rest of the site really bothers my eyes and even makes me feel a bit sick while browsing around the site  :-(
O&O's || A&A's

"I don’t use people for stories.
I use stories to express my feelings for people."

Geraint

While I appreciate the efforts to improve the site, I agree with most of what is said above.  I have a headache from just trying to navigate from page to page on the site. 

I find sites with dark or black backgrounds painful to look at and extremely difficult to read.  And should the scheme spread to the rest of the page, I would find it nearly impossible to write here at all.

Edit:  The dark blue background makes it no easier for me either.
Second Edit:  In fact, it's worse because it makes the black background display ads even more garish than they were.

King Serperior

Okay, it took some time, but now I am getting that queasy feeling that everyone else is getting.  I think I will log for a few minutes and get my equilibrium back again.

O/O's
A/A'sMonster Girl Palace
SFW Image Ideas for Scifi, Fantasy, Horror, and Steampunk Games! | My various characters, if you are curious! | I am a Rainbow Writer!
Post Rate: 1 post per game every 1-4 weeks on average  ||| I encourage any and all random PMs.

oceanspool

Just to add to the I-feel-queasy-too reports. The black makes the rest of the screen look funny even when I've scrolled down so it's off the page - it's making my eyes go funny D:

Dale

I'm appreciative that there have been hours of work gone into the new look but can we have a choice between the old and the new, please?. The new makes me want to adjust something because, well, it's a strain to have to look at the writing. I tried turning the thing off. I know I'm OCD for not liking changes but it isn't simply my inability to cope with a change. Oh God everythings gone black now. Black/ dark is just a strain to look at and I won't be using the Shoutbox so a toggle on/off would be very neat for those who do or don't want to see it. I miss seeing the cheery Hello Lock and seeing the cats properly too. Sorry.

Gadifriald

With IE on fullscreen with a 21 inch monitor I can scroll down to hide the top bar without running into the bottom one. Fullscreen and scrolling to hide might help some folks! But the top and bottom should really match the gentle blue and white and gray of the rest of E for eye comfort!
I am a mighty ravisher of captive damsels and princesses!

Vekseid

Yikes, I haven't even gotten to fixing the tags yet : /

Is the current setup better for people?

Izu

Me personally - main content is too bright of a blue-green-cyanic (the #eff)... but I can continue whining about it all forever... sorry...

edit: but yeah, thanks a lot for removing the complete blackness...

King Serperior

The blue is soooo much better.  Thanks, Veks   ;D

O/O's
A/A'sMonster Girl Palace

Chrystal

That's better...

Had me seriously worried for a minute though when it went REALLY wierd!

I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!

Vekseid

Quote from: Izu on July 10, 2014, 03:18:39 PM
Me personally - main content is too bright of a blue-green-cyanic (the #eff)... but I can continue whining about it all forever... sorry...

edit: but yeah, thanks a lot for removing the complete blackness...

Unfortunately the styling for the forum in general is a complete mess, as far as smf goes.

Geraint

Quote from: Vekseid on July 10, 2014, 03:16:02 PM

For me, not much.  I find any dark background with bright type hard to read, and the blue surrounding them makes the black background display ads  (especially the bright Mortal Combat one) even more painful to the eyes

Gadifriald

Lightening the background for the banners would be good! The black background makes them hard to read.

Kye

I'm having the same issue as Geraint. It's the dark background and light text.

Mithlomwen

Quote from: Kyrsa on July 10, 2014, 03:26:26 PM
I'm having the same issue as Geraint. It's the dark background and light text.

Same for me. 

It's hard for my eyes to adjust.  Reading the dark colors makes it hard to look down and read the lighter colors of the main forum.  It makes me dizzy, and I can already feel a headache coming on from my eyes trying to adjust to the stark difference in colors.
Baby, it's all I know,
that your half of the flesh and blood that makes me whole...

mia h

The change of layout is a bit jarring and might take some getting used to. When SB is closed it feels in the way, but when it's open it takes up so much real estate that you can't see anything of the thread, so the choice is use SB or the thread you can't use both. And if you can't use the thread and SB together do they really belong on the same page?
Of course you could just ignore all that, leave it a few a days and I probably won't even notice SB is there anymore  ;D
If found acting like an idiot, apply Gibbs-slap to reboot system.

BeckyAnnn

Quote from: Vekseid on July 10, 2014, 03:16:02 PM

Marginally

Beguile's Mistress

It's still like walking from a dark room into light or from a room with lights into the dark.  It takes too much time for the eyes to adjust and getting hit in the face with it every time you refresh or open a tab is jarring.  The top is just not esthetically pleasing at all.  The format including the SB was so much better as it unified the pages rather than disrupting them.

And now that everyone is experimenting with their own colored fonts and using bold lettering it's even worse.

Bloodied Porcelain

My suggestion honestly, would be to just add a tab at the top that leads to the full page shoutbox, rather than putting it in the header of the site itself. That way nothing huge in the layout needs to be messed with and the nice, streamlined set up people are used to can stay. There's less chance of distraction for those of us with ADD who will constantly be glancing up and wondering what people are saying when we should be reading/writing for our games, etc.
I want no ordinary lover. I want a storm. I want sleepless nights and endless conversations at four a.m. I want passion, I want madness.
I want someone who's able to make my whole body shiver from a distance and also pull me close to make sense of all my bones.

Aislinn

I do appreciate the effort that is going into returning the shoutbox feature to the site even though I'm not a user of it.

There are some people that have physical issues to where they are very sensitive to visual stimuli. "Getting used to it" isn't in the cards for members like this, including me. I have every confidence that Veks is working really hard to make sure all of these concerns are addressed.  ;D

I'm not standing still,
I am lying in wait.”

RainThunderwolf

Quote from: GothicFires on July 10, 2014, 02:28:46 PM

Edited:

I tried scrolling down to hide most of this horror and click on a link to show new replies and the new page scrolls back up so it takes up half my screen again. That's just for a list of replies. I tested it on threads and I it takes up half the screen there too. I think saying that I hate it would be an understatement. The design shouldn't make the users have to do more work.

+ 1
Apologies and Absences
last update 10/24/'14

Bloodied Porcelain

Also... it took a little bit longer for me to start feeling queasy this time, but it still happened. =/

Vekseid

Shift+reload?

Won't deny that the css of this place is a mess.

oceanspool

Still not a fan overall, but thanks so much for getting rid of the black! My eyes feel better already and it's much less jarring.

Having said that, would it be possible to have an option to customise it and change back to the old setting? I find the massive block of colour at the top very distracting, and the old setting worked very well in that it didn't draw attention and was purely functional.

Vekseid

If someone wants to hack together a better .css file feel free, can include multiples too. As long as people aren't bleeding out though I need to get down to fixing other things : /

Beorning

Regarding this new design: with all due respect, Vekseid, it's catastrophic  :-(

The previous layout was very good. Now, it's... a mess. Please, let's go back to the previous one!!! I'm begging you...

I can supply some screeshots to show how this new layout looks on my screen. I can barely navigate it...  :-(

Gadifriald

Could we get a fix on the black banner background? It's hard on the eyes! How about a nice light color. And I ask on behalf of the Herald & Post staff :-)

Dale

Beorning

Okay, I think something strange happened: after I clicked "refresh" in my browser, the horror disappeared and now it's looks... readable.

I think that CSS didn't load or something...

Still, I really think that previous design was better. The current one seems... a bit weird.

Haibane

Someone mentioned alternative colour buttons or themes - could a kind soul link me to where that is please? Many thanks.

Vampdrake19

I'm with Beorning.  I prefer the design I'm familiar with, which was before the shoutbox showed up.  Nothing against it, but I tend to get chaotic when something in my familiar flow gets disrupted and I don't want people from my actual life to know what's going on in my Internet life.
Unavailable for New Threads.  See links below if interested.  RP on Forums ONLY.
Bloodscale Manor (Updated with O/O's and Character Pods)
Thread Parlor
Times Away (A/A's)
Fair warning to those who are partners with me, recently or previously: posts will come slow, so patience is required.  Also: I don't reply to E-mails and I don't do Discord.  PMs are for discussions only.

Oreo

Each change seems to be getting a bit better. Thanks for the fixes. :D

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,

Vekseid

If someone wants to edit:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/Themes/elliquiy2/css/elliquiy.css

And send me their own version, I'll be happy to consider replacing it as the default or adding it as an option. Redoing the entire theme is also a possibility, but it's a much bigger pain : /

Beorning

Hm. I have a small request: could you make the colours of the forum a bit more... intense? Before, the forum was all shades of blue, which looked nice. Now, everything has taken a shade of grey... and is much more pale.

Kye

I like the grey better than the blue...  :-\

Chrystal

I shudder to think how this is messing with someone like Blinkin...

Okay he has the advantage that he can't see the colours, but with the shoutbox open by default at the top of the page, and given that us sighted folks had trouble finding the close button, judging by the number of people I saw asking how and the fact that it took me a while to find the button, how is his text to voice software going to cope?

With the constantly scrollimg text, I would think it would seriously mess up the software...

Caeli

I think there's a lack of consistency between the full-screen version of the shoutbox and the embedded version.  People are using all sorts of font colors that are probably fine in the paler full-screen version, but which are hideous against the darker colors of the embedded shoutbox.

I'll poke at the CSS tonight, but as of recently no longer have access to my computer, so it's a bit harder without my regular toolbox of stuff.
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Oreo

Quote from: Vekseid on July 10, 2014, 04:52:50 PM
If someone wants to edit:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/Themes/elliquiy2/css/elliquiy.css

And send me their own version, I'll be happy to consider replacing it as the default or adding it as an option. Redoing the entire theme is also a possibility, but it's a much bigger pain : /

Izu mentioned to me that he wouldn't mind making some color themes for the site.

Passion and Desire

Okay, I'm not a web designer, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. I really don't like the - imho - jarring style mismatch between the forum and the rest of the site. Some fonts are serif, some are sans-serif. Some buttons have borders/gradients, others don't. Some sections have corner-radius, others are "blocky." I'm a sucker for consistency, especially in design, so... yeah. :P

I'll try messing around with the CSS (perhaps this weekend, if I can free some time between D3 and UE4 ^^), but some quick preliminary messing around with my browser's dev tools yielded this. Considering that the forum is the site's primary content, I'd personally rather adapt the rest of the site to match the forum's style, than try and restyle the forum.

Chrystal

YO!
Ha ha

I was just about to suggest

Yes, this is much better

Haibane

Quote from: Kyrsa on July 10, 2014, 05:03:45 PM
I like the grey better than the blue...  :-\
Perhaps the old scheme could be brought back as a user option?

Vekseid

Quote from: Passion and Desire on July 10, 2014, 05:30:59 PM
Okay, I'm not a web designer, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. I really don't like the - imho - jarring style mismatch between the forum and the rest of the site. Some fonts are serif, some are sans-serif. Some buttons have borders/gradients, others don't. Some sections have corner-radius, others are "blocky." I'm a sucker for consistency, especially in design, so... yeah. :P

I'll try messing around with the CSS (perhaps this weekend, if I can free some time between D3 and UE4 ^^), but some quick preliminary messing around with my browser's dev tools yielded this. Considering that the forum is the site's primary content, I'd personally rather adapt the rest of the site to match the forum's style, than try and restyle the forum.

The CSS is an unholy hell I have to tiptoe around because so much crap is baked in in so many locations, I can't just 'fix the content area' on a whim.

In any case, I've saved the bluegray theme I built and will be adding it as a variant for those who preferred that (once I figure those out properly). In the mean time I'll take variants from members who want to show them off accordingly.

Beguile's Mistress

Sweet Heavens!  It's a miracle.  Thank you.

One that I wished had happened before my vision went blurry in the parking lot and I fell, putting my teeth through my lip, ripping up my knees and ramming my head into someones side view mirror on the way down.  Four stitches later I got picked up by a friend after the hospital gave me scrubs to wear home because my clothes were covered in blood.  The vision is still blurry but clearing up.

Nimmy

Thank you for the new header coloring, Veks! That's much better, and the buttons stand out much more.

Chrystal

In fact, I am quite happy it the way it is now.  I think the biggest complaints were the black border and the dark boxes with dark text in them. Lightening those two boxes and the dark teal border actually works well, IMHO.

Quote from: Beguile's Mistress on July 10, 2014, 05:47:54 PM
Sweet Heavens!  It's a miracle.  Thank you.

One that I wished had happened before my vision went blurry in the parking lot and I fell, putting my teeth through my lip, ripping up my knees and ramming my head into someones side view mirror on the way down.  Four stitches later I got picked up by a friend after the hospital gave me scrubs to wear home because my clothes were covered in blood.  The vision is still blurry but clearing up.

BeMi, I really really hope you are teasing? *BIG HUGS*

Thorne

First, thank you for going to all this trouble and reading and paying attention and just generally being awesome, Veks.
Sure, it was a little eye-shattering at first, but it's getting better.

Would it be possible, in an eventual incarnation, to get our names coloured to match our lord/lady/liege/whatever tags, whichever ones apply? I don't mind correcting people on my gender, or being corrected, if I get someone else's wrong, mind you. But it seems like a helpful sort of thing. If you get a chance.

Thank you. 'Cause, really, that can't get said enough.
Writer of horrors, artist of mayhem.

Currently available, frequently lurking.
Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies
Ideas and inspirations: small groups

Chrystal

Quote from: Thorne on July 10, 2014, 05:51:57 PM
Would it be possible, in an eventual incarnation, to get our names coloured to match our lord/lady/liege/whatever tags, whichever ones apply? I don't mind correcting people on my gender, or being corrected, if I get someone else's wrong, mind you. But it seems like a helpful sort of thing. If you get a chance.

Are you meaning the fact that ladies are blue but have red badges? It's something you just get used to...

Thorne

Well, no, actually. I'm meaning names in the shoutbox. Sorry - that wasn't clear.

Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies

Vekseid

Those are not so simple : /

In any case, subthemes can now be selected: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?action=profile;area=theme

Note that it won't do anything from 'default' for some reason. You have to choose from the 'elliquiy2' dropdown. And there's only the default 'old' theme and the bluegray one I made earlier.

Beguile's Mistress

Quote from: Chrystal on July 10, 2014, 05:50:44 PM
BeMi, I really really hope you are teasing? *BIG HUGS*

Nope.  I was walking between a black pickup truck and a gray SUV when a white van drove by.  My eyes did the same thing they had been doing going from the black SB part of the screen and the light colored bottom of the page.  It happened so fast I was disoriented and fell before I could stop moving and grab on to something.  EMTs were there in minutes and I'm only 10 minutes from a hospital where I work.  The CT machine was free and ER was quick like bunnies.  I was scanned, examined and stitched in 30 minutes, redressed and leaving in another 20 and home shortly after that.

Kye

Beguile's Mistress

*hugs back making sure the melting ice doesn't drip*  I gots a fat fat lip! ;D

Oniya

Teeny, teeny thing - there seems to be a weird graphical glitch with the 'Reply' button at the bottom of posts.  It's nothing that can't wait.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Vekseid

Quote from: Oniya on July 10, 2014, 06:15:58 PM
Teeny, teeny thing - there seems to be a weird graphical glitch with the 'Reply' button at the bottom of posts.  It's nothing that can't wait.

shift+reload

During the time between me making the prior theme and the current one, there were some updates to the sprite images, apparently.

Took way too long before I figured out what was up. -_-

Oniya

Quote from: Vekseid on July 10, 2014, 06:18:54 PM
shift+reload

During the time between me making the prior theme and the current one, there were some updates to the sprite images, apparently.

Took way too long before I figured out what was up. -_-

Bingo!  Looks good now.  The ocean blue background with the pale-blue chat-box is looking really nice, too.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Thorne

Quote from: Vekseid on July 10, 2014, 06:02:19 PM
Those are not so simple : /

Somehow, I thought that might be the case. No worries, it's not a world-ender.

There do appear to be some broken images - on the ends of menu bars.
Screenshot

And I really do like the new colour scheme - haven't looked at the other themes, but the new default is lovely.

Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies

Vekseid

Quote from: Thorne on July 10, 2014, 06:23:26 PM
Somehow, I thought that might be the case. No worries, it's not a world-ender.

There do appear to be some broken images - on the ends of menu bars.
Screenshot

And I really do like the new colour scheme - haven't looked at the other themes, but the new default is lovely.

Yeah, turning on the subthemes did that : /

Let me know if there are any more.

Kye

What happened to the spoilers?   :o

Chrystal

The Spoilers.....

Stacking

Now
It looks weird!
Has
It's hard to read
Weird
Effects
Spoilers
Could it be put back the way it was please?
This

Kye

I was talking about the color, couldn't read it.  That is much better. 

Beorning

Quote from: Chrystal on July 10, 2014, 06:42:59 PM
The Spoilers.....

Stacking

Now
It looks weird!
Has
It's hard to read
Weird
Effects
Spoilers
Could it be put back the way it was please?
This

That's something I noticed, too. I preferred the way spoiler tags looked before, with each of the automatically filling the whole line.

Also, I'm not sure about them looking like rotund buttons now...

Chrystal

Quote from: Kyrsa on July 10, 2014, 06:45:05 PM
I was talking about the color, couldn't read it.  That is much better.

Well I suppose if it were possible to read them, I might agree...

Sorry for the content, but this is text from a post in my group recruitment thread...

Head

Full Head Mask
A mask in the appearance of a horse's head, often with attached bit and reins. They come in a variety of styles and colours, some more realistic that others. The three styles pictured below are available at Pony Palace, in black, brown and grey.
Ears
Pony ears are available in black, brown and grey, on a variety of fixings from a simple plastic head band to a leather strap that is designed to attach to a halter or bridle.
Plumes
Head plumes in a wide range of colours are available to attach to ear head pieces or on straps with no ears.
Bits
The bit is one way for a Pony to be controlled. It passes through the mouth and is attached to the bridle and the reins are attached to either side. It also acts as a partial gag. Bits are available in wood, plastic, leather and metal.
Tongue Curbs
A tongue Curb is a flap that can be fitted to a bit. It serves a dual purpose in that it stops the Pony tonguing the bit, and also renders coherent speach virtually impossible.
Bridles, Halters and Head Harnesses
An arrangement of straps that fit over the head of the Pony. The primary function is to hold the bit in the Pony's mouth and attach the reins, and to restrict the Pony's head movements. they can also be used to attach plumes and ears, and serve as attachment points for some face masks.
Collars
There are two types of collar available at Pony Palace. Posture collars are tall stiff collars that force the head up, giving an elegant look. Shock collars can be used for negative reinforcement, the Rider has a remote control which delivers an electric shock to the Pony. The two cannot be used together.
Blinkers or Blinders
These are boards that attach to the Pony's bridle, on either side of the eyes and extending forward, blocking peripheral vision.
Ball Gag
A standard BDSM Ball gag. A soft rummer ball attached to a locking strap. Used to keep the Pony from speaking in the event a bit is not being used.
Arms

Monoglove

A single mitten that wraps around both hands, and usually laces tight up to the shoulders. Often there is a support strap that can attach to the Pony's bridle. This is not especially a Pony play bondage device, and is often used to put a submissive into a strappado on regular BDSM. However a monoglove can be used to pull the Pony's arms and shoulders back and force his/her chest out. Monogloves are available in black, white, blue and red.

Hoof Gloves

Gloves that van be locked onto the Pony's hands, which convert them into front hooves. These gloves prevent the Pony from using his/her hands, while still allowing him/her to make "realistic" movements with his/her forelegs. Some two legged Ponies and Riders dislike them but they are essential for a four legged Pony, unless the Pony is on elbows.
Locking cuffs
Leather or latex cuffs that lock around the Pony's wrists, and have a D-ring integral to them, enabling the wrists to be attached to each other, to harness, corset or cart shafts.
Body

Cat Suit
A leather, spandex or latex skin-tight bodysuit can be worn over the entire body. In real life these are often used to allow the Pony to be seen in public. In the Pony Palace they will be used to give the feel of the suit against the skin, in the most intimate of places. They also give an aesthetically pleasing finish to a Pony, especially if matched to a mask and hooves and contrasted to the rest of the tack. Cat suits are available in a  wide range of sizes, in leather, spandex and latex, in grey, black and brown.
Four Legged Bondage Suit
A latex or leather suit that comes with integral hooves on knees and either hands or elbows. The suit includes straps which attach the feet to the buttocks and optionally the hands to the shoulders. Forces the Pony to be four legged. Available in black only.
Corsets
Normal bondage wear corsets, in fact not necessarily even bondage wear. A corset can make a Pony's waist nice and slim make his or her chest stand out and can look elegant. Corsets for female Ponies can enhance the breasts, holding them up and out. They can also have rings on them in order to act as harness.
Harness
An arrangement of straps ostensibly used to attach the shafts of a cart to. Often also used to enhance the discomfort of the Pony. Can be used to attach sex toys and hold them in place. Restricts freedom of movement of the Pony
Clamps, Cages and Peircings
Normal BDSM clamps for nipples, Labia and clitoris, Penis/scrotum cages, and piercings of any erogenous zone can be used as attachment points for reins and/or harness
Tails
A Pony must have a tail. There are three types of tail available. The first type attaches to the harness just below the hips. This type has the advantage of leaving the anus free for use. The second type is attached to a but plug, on a spring mount that arcs up between the buttocks and allows a Pony to fuck him/herself in the anus as he/she walks. The third type is for female Ponies only and has a second plug that fits into the vagina. Both the latter two types are available still or vibrating. The tails are available in the usual three colours, black, brown or grey.
Legs

Hoof Boots
These are boots that force a pont to walk on tip-toe. The toe is shaped like a horse's hoof, the heel is raised to resemble a horse's hock.Some hoof boots have a real horse shoe attached. Proper hoof boots have no support to the heel.
Heel Hoof Boots
The same as Hoof Boots, but with a stiletto heel for support
Stiletto Thigh Boots
Ordinary stiletto heeled thigh boots
Platform Thigh Boots
Ordinary platform soled thigh boots

Vekseid

Chrystal, you can use the br tag if you want them broken up vertically.

Chrystal

Quote from: Vekseid on July 10, 2014, 06:53:17 PM
Chrystal, you can use the br tag if you want them broken up vertically.

Ohh, new shiny toy! Don't know that one.

What's the syntax please?

Vekseid

Quote from: Chrystal on July 10, 2014, 06:54:35 PM
Ohh, new shiny toy! Don't know that one.

What's the syntax please?

br

[spoiler]Hello World[/spoiler][br][spoiler]Hello World[/spoiler][br][spoiler]Hello World[/spoiler][br][spoiler]Hello World[/spoiler][br]

Hello World

Hello World

Hello World

Hello World

If you want them right next to each other you'll have to do it in one line like that, it seems.

Vekseid

Actually, apparently just hitting enter twice works too >_>

Chrystal

Thanks.

And the colours are better now too...

Veks I know we whinge a lot, but we all really do appreciate the hard work you put in.

Thanks. *hugs*

Beorning

Regarding spoilers: is there some way to make them all of even length?

Right now, they look like this:

Short Text

Extremely And Totally Longish Text

I prefered when they were even, long boxes... It just looked a bit better.

BeckyAnnn

I don't know what happened while I was away but whatever it was I like it much better.

Or maybe it was just because I was using my phone before.  I dunno.

Anywayyyyy........Thanks, Veks, for this and all you do.

You ROCK!   8-)

Chrystal

Quote from: Beorning on July 10, 2014, 07:05:51 PM
Regarding spoilers: is there some way to make them all of even length?

Right now, they look like this:

Short Text

I prefered when they were even, long boxes... It just looked a bit better.

Short Text                                         

Vekseid

Alternately, I can add a width parameter.

Oreo

Quote from: Chrystal on July 10, 2014, 07:17:13 PM
Short Text                                         

Clever Chrystal is clever. ;D

Quote from: Vekseid on July 10, 2014, 07:19:56 PM

Would that make them like they were before? I kind of like the idea of being able to self size them.

Chrystal

Quote from: Vekseid on July 10, 2014, 07:19:56 PM

A width parameter would be nice...

I'm assuming that if the width was shorter than the text, it would wrap?

Kitsunetsuki

Minor request and I apologize if this has been mentioned already...is there any way to move the mail notification and search bar to under the SB? The "Public," "Safe Haven," & "Close ShoutBox" look a little funny when it's closed as the outline around them has no "top."

Also, I tend not to notice the mail thing so much now (thankfully there's more than one type of notification). Just figured I'd mention it in case no one else has suggested it. Would look a little cleaner, but it's mostly just cosmetic, so it can wait. (I know there are more pressing concerns.) Oh, and thanks so much for fixing the colour issue. That was driving me nuts for a bit. :D

Thanks, again!
[tr]
[td]
O.Os~A.As (around but not seeking)
Ideas (up-to-date)
Poetry~Singing~Wiki~Characters
How the men of Elliquiy have ruined me[/td][/tr][/table]

Orange Marmalade

One thing about the spoilers - you have to add an extra line break after each one now. Can we fix that so it isn't necessary? This breaks all existing spoilers in current threads unless we do. For example if I had something that used to look like

spoiler
Stuff goes here!

And some more stuff goes here!

Now looks like this:

spoiler
Stuff goes here!

There's an enter pressed at the end of the spoiler line but it doesn't take effect unless you add another one.

Chrystal

Quote from: Orange Marmalade on July 10, 2014, 10:33:42 PM
One thing about the spoilers - you have to add an extra line break after each one now. Can we fix that so it isn't necessary? This breaks all existing spoilers in current threads unless we do. For example if I had something that used to look like

spoiler
Stuff goes here!

Now looks like this:

spoiler
Stuff goes here!

There's an enter pressed at the end of the spoiler line but it doesn't take effect unless you add another one.

Acttually, I can think of a potential use for having
The Spoiler
Which hides something in it's murky depths
in the same line as the text around it.... I still don't see it replacing The Acronym, though, but there is a use for that...

For example if one wishes to include a
picture
in the text... something like that. (And yes that is SFW, sort of...!)

Dale

Thank you very much for the improvements and theme options oh magnificent Veks.

Haibane

Quote from: Chrystal on July 11, 2014, 02:59:15 AM
For example if one wishes to include a
picture
in the text... something like that. (And yes that is SFW, sort of...!)
A url tag will do that.

NileGoddess

My main computer has a 1920x1080 screen, and I'm noticing a lot of empty space with the new header.

For example, if I go to My Book Marks or new replies to posts, the shoutbox section, along with my inbox notifications, are on a big stub that stretches about 1/3 of the way across the screen, but is centered. As a result, there's a ton of empty, blank space to the left and right of the shoutbox and the elliquian herald and post section. New message notifications also get dwarfed by this as well, since the text is smaller.

As someone who never uses the shoutbox and keeps it always closed, it seems like there's less forum now.

Chrystal

Quote from: Haibane on July 11, 2014, 07:16:57 AM
A url tag will do that.

True, but you might not want to redirect or open a new tab/window...

I'm just playing Satan's Egg Nog here.

Quote from: NileGoddess on July 11, 2014, 07:35:51 AM
My main computer has a 1920x1080 screen, and I'm noticing a lot of empty space with the new header.

For example, if I go to My Book Marks or new replies to posts, the shoutbox section, along with my inbox notifications, are on a big stub that stretches about 1/3 of the way across the screen, but is centered. As a result, there's a ton of empty, blank space to the left and right of the shoutbox and the elliquian herald and post section. New message notifications also get dwarfed by this as well, since the text is smaller.

As someone who never uses the shoutbox and keeps it always closed, it seems like there's less forum now.

I noticed Veks has put two options, one with the SB and one without. I'm now using the one without.

You could always make the browser window smaller to remove the empty space? I realise that's possibly counter productive, but it is an option!

kylie

Is it just me, or is the idea here actually to put the ad bar more in one's face (ahem) center stage very frequently -- whether you use the Shoutbox or not?  I don't really care for this. 

And I also feel right now like, I still have to scroll left and right to get all this unwanted stuff to go away and view the forums proper.

Quote from: Chrystal
You could always make the browser window smaller to remove the empty space? I realise that's possibly counter productive, but it is an option!

Sounds most likely counterproductive to me. 

Scrolling past everything every time you load the Index page is possible too...  And also very possibly annoying.

Vekseid

I added the 'widescreen' variant for you people.

Bloodied Porcelain

I would love to have the old spoilers back... all of my threads that required a decent level of organization relied heavily upon them and these new short ones just make everything look messy and disorganized. Lots of spoilers on one line that used to be on different ones, little spoilers that used to be easy to find you now have to go looking for... It's a mess.

Kitsunetsuki

Thank you, Veks, for the "No Shoutbox" option!!! :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*
[tr]
[td]
Ideas (up-to-date)

Vampdrake19

Could you fix the broken image thing when it hits the "No Shoutbox" option, please?
Unavailable for New Threads.  See links below if interested.  RP on Forums ONLY.
Bloodscale Manor (Updated with O/O's and Character Pods)
Thread Parlor
Times Away (A/A's)
Fair warning to those who are partners with me, recently or previously: posts will come slow, so patience is required.  Also: I don't reply to E-mails and I don't do Discord.  PMs are for discussions only.

Vekseid

Quote from: Bloodied Porcelain on July 11, 2014, 09:21:59 AM
I would love to have the old spoilers back... all of my threads that required a decent level of organization relied heavily upon them and these new short ones just make everything look messy and disorganized. Lots of spoilers on one line that used to be on different ones, little spoilers that used to be easy to find you now have to go looking for... It's a mess.

I've turned off 'block level', but I fear that may risk breaking a lot of things, so let me know ASAP if it does.

Edit: That was a very bad idea : /

For now, just add another line break (press enter again) or use the br tag.

Finding a middle-ground solution has been non-trivial.

Quote from: Vampdrake19 on July 11, 2014, 11:26:45 AM
Could you fix the broken image thing when it hits the "No Shoutbox" option, please?

Edit: Nevermind, fixed.

Beguile's Mistress

I've been in and out of the SB in the forums today and haven't had any issues with the eyes and other problems like I had yesterday.  My brain is happy again.  Thank you.

Oreo

*hugs BeMi* It's really something how visuals can affect the brain. Now, if the SB had been flickering, I would have died. >.<

Beguile's Mistress

I thought about that and wondered.  I'm glad you didn't have that problem.  I've been wearing my shades all day, even inside.  It's very sunny and bright today.

Vekseid

Alright, I've added parameters to the spoiler tag.

[spoiler innerblock=1 block=1 title=Hello There]world[/spoiler]
[spoiler block=1 title=Hello There]world[/spoiler]
[spoiler block=1 width=400 height=50 title=Hello There]world[/spoiler]

Hello There
world
Hello There
world
Hello There
world

innerblock=1 does nothing without block=1 (effectively). block=1 turns it into a block tag, forcing newlines, but will still retain the smaller text.

Geraint

Hi Veks, and thanks for all your work to deal with user issues.  I know it must be difficult to deal with all of our different perspectives.

The no shoutbox and wide screen options help me a lot in terms of visual space … thank you!

Could they be combined?

My eyes, however are still having a lot of trouble with the additional colors that don't seem to blend well with the original default colors, and going back and forth among what visually seem like five or six different shades of blue on the page.  (The blue gray version still hurts my eyes, so I don't use it)

Right now the black and blue button bar shouts at me and distracts me from the text, as does the blue in the spoiler tags. 

I realize that calling attention may be the intent, but having the additional distraction for the eyes makes it hard to write any but the briefest of messages, and painful to look at the screen as I move from thread to thread with all the flashes of different colors

I also mourn the loss of uniform looking, simple to use, nonintrusive spoiler tags. 

It's just a bunch of little things, perhaps petty seeming,  but the net effect is a large distraction from writing for me.  If the very welcome changes you've made to restore and add function could be accomplished without the addition of contrasting colors, it would make the page a lot easier to read. 

My thanks to you for reading this.

Vekseid

I need to redo how 'no shoutbox' works, obviously. Makes little sense to duplicate each theme.

Are the spoiler tags easier on your eyes now?

For the button bar, will try to think of something. A lot of people found 'Find Partners' for the first time yesterday, so I'm hesitant >_>

Flower

I like the new color. Less shiny.

Geraint

Quote from: Vekseid on July 11, 2014, 01:28:32 PM
I need to redo how 'no shoutbox' works, obviously. Makes little sense to duplicate each theme.

Are the spoiler tags easier on your eyes now?

For the button bar, will try to think of something. A lot of people found 'Find Partners' for the first time yesterday, so I'm hesitant >_>
Many thanks for working on this Veks

The spoiler tag color looks much better. 

The button bar itself is not my problem, nor is its position.  It's just the colors that shout at me.

Chrystal

*HUGS* For BeMi. Glad you're feeling better!

*goes to check the effect on the spoilers*

Chrystal

Um, Sorry to be a pain, but embedded spoilers don't work with the parameters?

Hello There
Hello There
Hello There
world

MagicalPen

It'd be nice if the Advertisement area was above the 'shoutbox' area that also displays personal messages etc. ? As it is now, I barely notice if I have new messages (PMs) because that part is off the screen when writing new posts etc. Its too close to the top, in a place I never look at.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Looking/Available for New Games

Oreo

Quote from: MagicalPen on July 11, 2014, 03:29:52 PM
It'd be nice if the Advertisement area was above the 'shoutbox' area that also displays personal messages etc. ? As it is now, I barely notice if I have new messages (PMs) because that part is off the screen when writing new posts etc. Its too close to the top, in a place I never look at.

Have you tried using the pop up option? In Personal Messages?

Vekseid

Quote from: Chrystal on July 11, 2014, 01:50:18 PM

Hello There
Hello There
Hello There
world

Apparently not : /

I think the only option is probably going to be to make a new 'collapsible' tag.

kylie

Widescreen :  I'm not sure it's a good solution, unless your screen is actually wide. 

I'm on a 14 inch at 1366 x 768, and widescreen makes everything feel a little small.  You can change the browser zoom settings, but that makes some of the overall format feel distorted then too.  It's all better for actually, potentially seeing more of the site per click again, but I feel like the quality is still myeh.

Mixed about the "Find Partners" stuff.  I clicked in the stuff I most often play or would most like to play lately...  But there's no option to distinguish stuff I might like to play but less frequently.  Generally I think it's good, but 'less common' or 'less comfortable' choices will either make everything too confusing again (where people check everything that might apply and we're basically back to the huge wall of possibilities but some often don't get taken up anyway), or people could go searching for something and maybe get frustrated that it's not checked so often.  Would a sort of second tier form of box fill like "I sometimes play this but not quite so often" be worthwhile?   

Geraint

Quote from: kylie on July 12, 2014, 01:30:55 AM
         Widescreen :  I'm not sure it's a good solution, unless your screen is actually wide. 

I'm on a 14 inch at 1366 x 768, and widescreen makes everything feel a little small.  You can change the browser zoom settings, but that makes some of the overall format feel distorted then too.  It's all better for actually, potentially seeing more of the site per click again, but I feel like the quality is still myeh.

That depends on one's perspective.  I work on a 24" 1920x1200 monitor  The wide screen works nicely on it at full screen, but I rarely ever work full screen.  Rather I uses two half screen windows side by side. roughly 1000x1200 (since they can slightly overlap).  The wide screen version of the top will scale down to that width, along with the rest of the forum (other than the new button bar).  The normal version of the top part will not scale down to anywhere near that width and, even though the forum itself will do so easily, and I have to scroll over to use the search function or anything else on the right side.

kylie

Going to be blunt again, but trying to be clear and get it done with:  I am really not liking this on the face of it.

Between the Shoutbox, ad bar, and oversized buttons...  A huge chunk of the page is taken up, even if you go widescreen --- which I'm really not sure works well for me anyway.  And at present, you have the orange (that is a naggingly bright, persistently distracting orange imo) notice bar flashing up brightly left and right in the middle of working through everything, too.

On top of that the Messages link is frequently used and it should not be narrow and buried at the very top of the page over all this stuff that's not central to the site.  Or at least, you used to say it wasn't obviously central and roleplaying was.  We should not feel pressed to resort to pop-ups for something so frequent, if we don't want to.

There may be some other new details here I would rather like, but right now all this stuff is just nagging me so much I'm hardly noticing.  I hardly want to look around beyond growling at constantly scrolling and blinking at persistent distractions more.

I feel a bit like just now the site is trying to emulate Facebook, and I have been using Facebook less lately because it's been doing more stuff like this.  It's a lot more fuss and scrolling to keep the stuff you really came for in view.  Maybe some are used to this as the trend in so many sites these days and maybe it would make the site great as an advertising platform.  But so far, in the proportions and function I see right now -- I just don't enjoy it so much.  It looks a little "slicker" sure and stuff like the button shape is fine (maybe they don't need to be quite that big??).... 

But what I keep noticing right now?  This is just getting in my way a lot.

Orange Marmalade

I like the "No shoutbox" variant but it never sticks. The moment I click any link it poofs. Is there a way to make it permanent or set it via cookie or something? :)

Geraint

Quote from: Orange Marmalade on July 12, 2014, 02:37:14 AM
I like the "No shoutbox" variant but it never sticks. The moment I click any link it poofs. Is there a way to make it permanent or set it via cookie or something? :)

Try holding down your shift button on the keyboard and pushing the refresh button on your browser while you're in the no shoutbox version?

Orange Marmalade

Quote from: Geraint on July 12, 2014, 02:45:10 AM
Try holding down your shift button on the keyboard and pushing the refresh button on your browser while you're in the no shoutbox version?

That works on the refresh, still doesn't update any of the links on the page. The problem is the variant=noshoutbox doesn't propagate to the other links. So once you click, say, Bookmarks it takes you to https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?action=bookmarks, rather than https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?action=bookmarks;variant=noshoutbox  :-(

I guess it doesn't matter too much, the buttons are only a couple pixels. Might matter more when I'm on one of my old laptops or a tablet where screen real estate is more important though.

Geraint

Quote from: Orange Marmalade on July 12, 2014, 03:30:40 AM
That works on the refresh, still doesn't update any of the links on the page. The problem is the variant=noshoutbox doesn't propagate to the other links. So once you click, say, Bookmarks it takes you to https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?action=bookmarks, rather than https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?action=bookmarks;variant=noshoutbox  :-(

I guess it doesn't matter too much, the buttons are only a couple pixels. Might matter more when I'm on one of my old laptops or a tablet where screen real estate is more important though.

Just in case ... Have you tried the reloading (shift refresh) once you got to the new page?

Chrystal

It works just fine for me. I select no shoutbox, and I stay with no shoutbox. I have to select it again when I open Elliquiy, but that's just one click.

I think this  might be a browser issue? What browser and version are you using? I'm using Firefox 30.0

Vekseid

Quote from: Chrystal on July 12, 2014, 06:31:42 AM
It works just fine for me. I select no shoutbox, and I stay with no shoutbox. I have to select it again when I open Elliquiy, but that's just one click.

I think this  might be a browser issue? What browser and version are you using? I'm using Firefox 30.0

He's using the bluegray theme, so he can certainly select different variants...

Kitsunetsuki

For the record, "No shoutbox" works fine for me as well. The only times I have to select it again are when I either log out of the forum, or when I've closed my browser completely. Even if I close the tab with E up and load E on a new tab, it stays selected. I'm on Windows 7, using Google Chrome.
[tr]
[td]
Ideas (up-to-date)

Orange Marmalade

Quote from: Geraint on July 12, 2014, 03:36:13 AM
Just in case ... Have you tried the reloading (shift refresh) once you got to the new page?

I did try that and no dice.. but it still seems to have been cache related somehow - cleared things out and now its all good. Maybe the shift reload was working on the current page but when I was going to any other page it was still using some of the cached formatting there? I donno, but all good now :D

Bloodied Porcelain

Just incase it hasn't been brought up before... if I use code to determine how big my spoiler tag is going to be... none of the code inside that spoiler works. See below.

Hello There
this is some bold text

Vekseid

Quote from: Bloodied Porcelain on July 13, 2014, 04:38:24 PM
Just incase it hasn't been brought up before... if I use code to determine how big my spoiler tag is going to be... none of the code inside that spoiler works. See below.

Hello There
this is some bold text

Gah, may as well just remove and rename that. Erf : / Sorry. Will try to come up with something. *kicks parser*

Chrystal

Quote from: Bloodied Porcelain on July 13, 2014, 04:38:24 PM

Hello There
this is some bold text

YIKES!

I had already raised the point in respect of nested spoilers, but I didn't notice that it killed all code off! Well spotted, BeeP.

That is going to basically mean those spoilers with the parameters are effectively (and defectively which my spell-check wanted to put in) useless, because there's no poing in a spoiler that you can't put code in!

Quote from: Vekseid on July 13, 2014, 04:45:57 PM
Gah, may as well just remove and rename that. Erf : / Sorry. Will try to come up with something. *kicks parser*

Is there a reason you can't put it back the way it was?

Bloodied Porcelain

Quote from: Chrystal on July 13, 2014, 04:50:50 PM
YIKES!

I had already raised the point in respect of nested spoilers, but I didn't notice that it killed all code off! Well spotted, BeeP.

That is going to basically mean those spoilers with the parameters are effectively (and defectively which my spell-check wanted to put in) useless, because there's no poing in a spoiler that you can't put code in!

You can nest spoilers inside of one another, but only if you're not using the code to change the spoiler's size.

Vekseid

Quote from: Chrystal on July 13, 2014, 04:50:50 PM
YIKES!

It's a matter of "Fix your code by pressing enter, and adding spaces to the title for now" versus "Use this hack with floats to make it not devour the screen."

The former annoys people, the latter is not a particularly stable sort of affairs, if that makes sense. It's also not given to be accessible (in the sense of how things appear in your post versus how a screen reader organizes them) depending on the nature of the hack used.

Quote from: Bloodied Porcelain on July 13, 2014, 05:46:10 PM
You can nest spoilers inside of one another, but only if you're not using the code to change the spoiler's size.

I've temporarily disabled that version. It will probably be back with something that works, I just need to be kindof careful.

EDIT: is now wurking.

Chrystal

Quote from: Bloodied Porcelain on July 13, 2014, 05:46:10 PM

I know...

Quote from: Vekseid on July 13, 2014, 05:51:02 PM
It's a matter of "Fix your code by pressing enter, and adding spaces to the title for now" versus "Use this hack with floats to make it not devour the screen."

The former annoys people, the latter is not a particularly stable sort of affairs, if that makes sense. It's also not given to be accessible (in the sense of how things appear in your post versus how a screen reader organizes them) depending on the nature of the hack used.

I've temporarily disabled that version. It will probably be back with something that works, I just need to be kindof careful.

EDIT: is now wurking.

EEP?

I use nested spoilers a lot... Seem to be okay now, and I didn't notice them not working.

Vekseid

Quote from: Chrystal on July 13, 2014, 06:28:08 PM
I know...

EEP?

I use nested spoilers a lot... Seem to be okay now, and I didn't notice them not working.

Each format is actually parsed as a separate tag.

So I disabled the parameterized version for a short bit, but the others remained.

Chrystal

Ah, okay. It wasn't clear which one you disabled... Had me panicing for a moment!

Chrystal

Quote from: Chrystal on July 11, 2014, 01:50:18 PM

Hello There
Hello There
Hello There
world

AND YAY, this works now too :D

Geraint

I'd like to thank Veks for all of his efforts to deal with people's issues with the new design, especially since I was one of those having the most severe problems.

I'm really happy to report that as of my signing on this afternoon, several of my problems are either solved or at least reduced to trivial nature.

Disabling the shoutbox is now easy and unintrusive.  And using the wide screen version I can actually see the search button and other things on the right without scrolling ... both at full screen and half screen.  And I can have both of those adjustments at the same time.

The intrusive button bar is much less intrusive now, and doesn't automatically distract my eyes when writing or navigating the forum, so I can actually go back to writing without headaches.

Really, all of that that makes a huge difference.  Thank you!

We still have a set of three matching new blues, and another matching set three old blues, with the two sets not matching each other, but at this point it's an esthetic quibble for me, and may perhaps be solved by additional templates..

I do have one other issue, though:
I'd like to present a somewhat different perspective on the spoilers than the one that is currently being addressed.

I think it's wonderful that Veks is being so responsive to people who want to do complicated things with spoilers.   I think that's part of what makes this forum special

But I'd also like to remind about those of us (I would guess a large majority) for whom the old default case button-generated spoiler was quite sufficient (perhaps with an "=Title" that we added) and easily and happily used ... because it is no longer anything like it used to be. 

I have three years worth of carefully titled and placed spoilers that now look nothing remotely like they did when I made them.  I find that very frustrating, because it entirely changes the look of pages for which I had carefully considered how they would look.

Even more frustrating, however, is that if I want to go back and restore something like the former appearance I'll have to go find complicated code (which I probably won't use often enough to remember, and whose location I likely won't be able to find when I do need it), then take the time to insert it within what used to be a simple uniform base case button generated function.  And I will have to do that in the future unless I am willing to settle for what the current default spoiler looks like.

In other words, I'd really like the default spoiler to go back to looking (in size and position) like the old default spoiler, and leave the complicated additional coding for additional functionality to those for whom the net effect is worth the additional effort.       

AmberStarfire

There might not be much point at this stage, but it would be possible to do up an alternate spoiler tag.

Create a class called .alternatespoiler, then put in the specifics of the spoiler tag from the previous themes that showed the spoiler up differently (provided there aren't any other major differences). Then anyone still using the old spoiler tag would have the option of changing it to 'alternatespoiler' instead of 'spoiler' so it shows up the old way it did before, and it wouldn't affect the current usage of the spoiler tag as it shows up now.

If you put it on index.css, it should affect all themes in current use.