[CLOSED] Interest Check: The Academy (D&D Campaign)

Started by The Golden Touch, June 17, 2008, 07:57:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Golden Touch

EDIT:  For all of you that showed an interest in this campaign- thank you.  ^ ^  I would really like to start this, but as of last week, I only have a week left of college.  After Friday, I'll be on and off the internet at undetermined times.  I'm really, really sorry for those of you that expressed interest.  When I have stable internet, I will be more than willing to start up the campaign.  Again- I'm sorry to not be able to start this.

I've been into playing Dungeons and Dragons for nearly five years.  I'm currently in three campaigns:  a round robin; an on-going ten year game and a small mock campaign.  Since I started playing I've been coming up with plots for campaigns, novels, and roleplays.  I was talking to some of the members recently and found that there was an interest in a D&D campaign.  I figured that I would do an interest check to see how many, or how few, people were actually up for starting a campaign.

The campaign idea:
Queen Alina is the daughter of the late Mirazan, the greatest of the kings of Alionna.  He revolutionized the monarchy, having his only child, a girl, as his successor.  When her father died, she assumed the throne.  Her rule was opposed by many.  As a ruler, Alina is fair and she goes out of her way to see her kingdom is happy.  Those that still opposed her began preaching to the people about foul beauty and witchery.  They called themselves the Arionnae, the Children of the Land.  The members of the Academy, members that fight for Alina fight against the Arionnae as they become bolder.  Their words unsettled the people and now Alina is trying to return her kingdom to order.

The premise is simple.  The Queen rules Alionna and the Arionnae claim it isn't her right to claim the throne. The Academy is the biggest school in this half of the world and people from all factions send their young to learn to be prominent members of society.  As the Academy is a school, anyone interested will probably be starting out at lvl 0 and by roleplaying will develop into their class.  So far as your characters, you may write your own history.  It will help me determine what kind of class you'll get.

Examples of histories:
Gille grew up under the Queen's rule and felt it oppressive. At 12 his parents sent him to the Academy for studies. Now he's 17 and well-learned in the Clerical arts. Upon graduation, he wishes to return to the Queen's kingdom to look after the unfortunate and sick that have suffered under her rule.

Nea grew up an orphan and was discovered on the streets by a foreign traveler who tripped over her sleeping on the steps in front of an inn. He took her in and educated her then sent her off to the Academy. She just turned 18 and, as customary, she graduated that year. During her enrollment there, she learned the fine arts of politics, diplomacy, and economy.

I'll be running a seven to eight person campaign.  I might go a few over if I think I can handle it.  I'd like to require you know the basics of Dungeons and Dragons (dice rolling, character skeletons).  It makes it easier- but I will teach you if you have an interest in the game. 

I am not running the campaign based solely out of the rulebook.  My classes are made up, and therefore the stats will be based class to class.  Besides class, the races.  Either human, Gallian (dark skin, also human), elf, half-elf, dwarf, gnome, halfling... and if you really want an orc, go for it.  Please nothing to obscure, such as a half Celestial half fiend, or a dragonkin.  ><;  If you would like to be a race not listed, it will be subject to DM approval.

Sex:  I'm not sure what you guys think you'll include if you join.  Give me your opinion, and I'll go from there.
Gore/Violence:  Within parameters.  If it fights your character/the situation/etc, then it's fine. 
Genres: Fantasy/Medieval

"Yesterday was the easy day."
Ideas (Open) /What Floats My Boat\ Absences

Sabetha

Oohh!!  I want to play!!  As an elven maiden sent to hone her Craft.  I'd like her to have magic but mostly be a Crafter...smithing, carving, etc.

As for sex, this is basically a high school, right?  So I definitely think there's room for it, though it isn't a deal-breaker for me.

The Golden Touch

That was quick.  -smiles-  Glad you're interested.  You may be required to be a class other than Crafter, but I don't see why you can't have smithing/crafting/what have you be a higher skill lvl.

The only reason I ask about sex is to figure out with category to post the thread in when it starts.

Sabetha

I figured that's why you asked.

To be honest, I figure she'll be a mage (probably wizard) and have a lot of skill points in the Crafts.  Might pick up a few levels of Expert if the  campaign allows; I don't feel the burning need to be the most powerful character at the expense of fun...

I'd be very interested to know if you're willing to allow the feat from...whichever book presented tons of alternate rules, it included the racial paragon "classes", which basically allowed you to put skill-points into one Craft and use that for a bunch of them.  There's an equivalent feat for Perform...I'll look it up later.  If you don't  want to allow it, I'll deal.

BK Geno

Oh, interested? Definitely.

Human sorcerer, sent to learn how to control his powers by a family of minor nobles, who support the Queen. Basic premise of my intended character.
Panic is ALWAYS an appropriate answer!

The Golden Touch

Sabetha:  Look it up for me, and I'll tell you if it can work with this campaign.  I realized I hadn't thought about feats yet- so that's for bringing it up.  ^ ^

BK Geno:  Great.  Glad you're interested.

Looks like there might be quite a few magic-users.  Hmm, that'll make it interesting.

The Golden Touch

^ ^  Yay squishy characters.  My warlock in my mock campaign was surprisingly resilient to her attackers.  Of a dwarf fighter, an elf swashbuckler, an elf scout and her- she remaining conscience when they were attacked.  It was weak for the rest- but she was at lvl 2 before everyone else.  And almost at lvl 3 when they got to lvl 1.  Though, warlocks are incredibly unfair.

My wizard... she's squishy though.  ><  Very, very.  That's why I put her with Charm Mind/Person/Animal.  You can't hurt me!  -flails-

chronosmaker

If I DO play in this, which I'm not entirely sure yet, I have a few things I might be. We'll see. I like being unique.

Mage/Wizard/etc. of course. Maybe a Psychic, not sure if that'd be allowed. It was in DnD, thought to say. Something REALLY annoying just for the fun of it. Some magic user/crafter thats in the background but very useful to people. And of course the crazy, heavy armor wearing fighter psycho thing that keeps going till it can't move. Or something like that.

We'll see how it turns out. I'm hoping for one of the last two myself, if I join. ^.^ Waiting to see whats included before 100% deciding.
'Who are you now? Wait, what am I supposed to be doing? Ah well, I'm sure stabbing you in the face is close enough.'-Me when waking up in the morning.

Ons and Offs
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=16570.0
(No I'm not going to make it fancy looking...)

RubySlippers

Can I play a slutty half-eleven character who will likely lean to nothing in particular and is at the school because her father is angry and ran out pf places to send her to straighten out likely a councilor to the Queen.

Sabetha

She sounds fun...

I bet it would really piss him off he she brought a girlfriend home for break.   ;)

Xillen

I guess I can't stay away after the initial conversation over MSN :P

I'd be interested, but I have no idea how we're to do statrolling and all, if we're level 0.

I guess I'll play something more combative, though.

As for sex, unless you think as a DM that non-con is warranted, vanilla seems the most logical way to go.

DreadD

Hrm...  I could be interestead.  Are we using the GUCK?

Elijia

If you guys are open for one more character I would be more than happy to join in. I should probably forewarn you, however, that I'm a complete neophyte in the realms of D&D. If you're willing to let me in knowing that I have approximately 0 experience it would be extremely appreciated. I'm not an incapable roleplayer and I'm a rather quick learner, so I can promise  wouldn't make it too painful on any of you.
Plot Thought: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=227654.msg11174429#msg11174429

O/O: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=241722.0

How boring is that signature? Here is a fun word: Architecture. Try it, it feels great.

Sabetha

DreadD, what is the GUCK?

I can't speak for The Golden Touch, but I don't mind playing with a newbie to D&D.

chronosmaker

ME either, seeing as I may have the books, but I never got any play in.
'Who are you now? Wait, what am I supposed to be doing? Ah well, I'm sure stabbing you in the face is close enough.'-Me when waking up in the morning.

Ons and Offs

Sabetha

Also, Elijia, if you don't have the books, you can find the basic rules in the SRD, here:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=d20/article/srd35

Xillen

I don't mind helping someone out with making a character, if they lack the experience themselves (though the chat or IM would help a lot to talk things through).

Guide to Unlawful Carnal Knowledge: http://netbook-of-uck.net/

The original 2nd edition can be found here: http://www.lysator.liu.se/~johol/netbooks/CarnalGuide/carnal.txt

chronosmaker

Huh. GUCK, or whatever, is like DnD rated X. o.0

Ons and Offs

Xillen

It's not like DnD, it's actually a supplement. You need D&D to use it, and it provides extra classes, feats, spells, etc... There are more such examples of erotic supplements, such as the Book of Erotic Fantasy.

chronosmaker

Yeah I know. Heh. And I think I've seen that Erotic book somewhere...

Ons and Offs

The Golden Touch

Essentially the class chooses the player.  Not the other way around.  I will keep in mind that a majority would like a magic using class, but I make no promises.

Xillen, you're not required to join the campaign.  I just found that you were easiest to recieve answers from for my questions.  -shrugs-  Staying at lvl 0 won't last long.  I need to see how people roleplay so we can move onto classes.

Elijia, you can join.  I'm willing to help you learn.  ^ ^

Elijia

Great! Much appreciated. Do we have any idea as to when we would like to start? Should I send an opening post somewhere in the near future?
Plot Thought: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=227654.msg11174429#msg11174429

O/O: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=241722.0

How boring is that signature? Here is a fun word: Architecture. Try it, it feels great.

The Golden Touch

You technically have no choice where you start.  Since I'm DM (Dungeon Master) I get to choose where I start each of you. 

I count five to seven interested, so I'll probably start it up with the next week or two.  I'm in my last week and a half of college, so I'm a bit on edge.  Which is sad really... it's distracting.

Paradox

Add my name to the Interested list, Miss Golden!

"More than ever, the creation of the ridiculous is almost impossible because of the competition it receives from reality."-Robert A. Baker