Wasn't sure where to put the IP change

Started by AidaLily, May 16, 2009, 09:02:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AidaLily

I got a new laptop computer and I have a new roommate who wanted to sign up for E with my old one that has my old IP address. I just wanted to tell you guys so that you don't think I have multiple accounts. I would not want to get kicked off as I love rping on this site. So yeah I have a new IP address.
"the whispers in the dark...*

Ons and Offs

My Absences and Apologies

Trieste

Thank you for letting us know.

Your IP doesn't travel with your computer; it depends on your internet connection and where you're connecting from. If she uses your laptop to connect from her house, it will still show her IP address, not yours. So you should have nothing to worry about. :)

AidaLily

*blushes ans feels embarrassed* Thanks. And they live with me now. That is what I meant. I am on my laptop in my house and they now own/use my desktop.
"the whispers in the dark...*

Ons and Offs

My Absences and Apologies

Xillen

In that case, you probably both have the same internet IP, as you use the same internet connection.

What might confuse you, is that next to your internet IP, you also have a local IP, which is of course different for the two computers.

Still, it's allowed for two members to log in from the same IP. Her approval might last a little longer, as staff wants to make sure you're actually two separate individuals.

Lady Annabelle

I didn't want to create a new topic because my question is very similar, so...

I am moving to a new place on June 26Th.  I will still have my computer, but I will be getting new internet and everything.  Will I have any problems trying to sign on to E because of it?  For a while, I could have 3 separate IP addresses...

I didn't think it would be that big of a deal as long as I know my username & password and I figured I'd tell the staff just in case they saw me with a strange IP.
All About Me  Where Am I?  Pixi's Twin  Miss Marguerite's Wife **True Girl Gamer**

"If all else perished, and he remained, I should still continue to be; But if all else remained, and he were annihilated, the universe would turn to a mighty stranger: I should not seem a part of it." ~ Emily Bronte

"My heart beat so hard when I was near him, I feared he could hear my secret longing for him." ~ Destiny Vaestus

HairyHeretic

I don't think there should be any problems there.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Xillen

There's no problem at all with logging in from different IP addresses.

The only problem that can arise is when two (or more?) people log in from the same IP address, especially when the 2nd one is not yet approved. Staff needs to make sure that the second person is actually a separate person, and not the first person trying to establish two accounts.