Cry, Little Sister (Vampire Freeform: Non-Canon, inspired by The Lost Boys)

Started by Ixy, June 30, 2015, 05:43:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ixy

Inspired by the 1987 film, this is a freeform story about characters who aren't heroes, who aren't mystics, and who aren't perfect.  It is by approval only... no one "claims" any roles, and no one leaves unscathed.  It is to be moody, slick, and dark fantasy with highly sexed-up characters. 

The setting:
"Well, let me put it this way. If all the corpses buried around here were to stand up all at once we'd have one hell of a population problem."

The fictional city of Las Sangres, California, is sweltering in its ragged cotton and cracked leather in the summer of 1987.  What was a flourishing vacation town after World War II, a combination of poor fiscal management, recession, the closure of Route 66, and an unmanageable influx of low-income job-seekers has left a glittering sprawl... Santa Ana winds have claimed ruins of hotels and restaurants, paint flakes from the clapboard neighborhoods adorned with suncatchers and heirloom statues, fields of empty Thunderbird bottles stand vigil for burned-out Chevelles that rust on forever.  Like a glimmering jewel at her forehead sits the boardwalk-- out into the jagged teeth of the coast, the boardwalk hosts a flea-market of low-tech amusement rides, tattoo parlors, pay-and-walk beer stands and topless bars.  It is the trashy, sexy slut of California, admired surreptitiously, scorned openly, wanted at great risk.

The characters:

"My own brother, a goddamn shit-sucking vampire. You wait 'til Mom finds out buddy!"

Your character must be at least 18, and I want you to know their basic background, flaws, and quirks.  Less importantly, if possible, I'd like to have an image to represent them.  I don't want runway models or celebrities for these pics, just a headshot for now.  I will be happy to provide one for other players' references if you won't be searching one out.

Ideally, they will interact... all of them.  I am not hitched to a specific idea for "how" yet... they could be friends from school, they could be family members, they could have accidentally found each other recently.  Ideally, they will not have lived in Las Sangres their whole lives.  Meeting each other is part of the story, one which I'm willing to help run, but I want these characters connected or soon-to-be so.

If you want to express interest-- great.  Please post a character idea and be willing to made adjustments. Start thinking of concepts, because while I have a feel for the mood, I don't know just yet how this story will go.

RedPhoenix

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuxdjVI-5r0

I love this movie so much. I am intrigued.

Question: Are you looking for humans, vampires, both? :)
Apologies & Absences | Ons & Offs
I move the stars for no one.

Red Offerings

I am TOTALLY interested. Ohmahgerd. I will wait to post a concept once I see your response to my fellow Red friend's question.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle.

Ixy

Glad to see interest, thanks for the responses.  If we have interest in the vampire role, I can work with it. I'm more looking for a dynamic between the two, so we need both, ideally 3 humans and one or two vampires- at least one humane.

RedPhoenix

That works. I was more interested in being a human anyway. I will think of my concept. I'm thinking sort of happy go lucky drifting beach bum type.

Red Offerings

What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle.

RedPhoenix

Red Offerings

Quote from: RedPhoenix on July 01, 2015, 10:59:20 PM
Oh, your folks too huh? :)

Actually no they were not! Quite the opposite! My father was very cowboy, to the point of bull riding! And I believe my mother was a disco queen.

RedPhoenix

Well that ruined the movie reference!! >.<

Ixy is there a character sheet or something you want us to use?

Madriv

Yep, I have a fondness for this film. Expressing interest in what might happen and I'd rather play a vamp.

RedPhoenix - should I call you Moon Child, then?  ;)

Nowherewoman

Tentative interest as I run for the ferry. More later, hopefully.
Instead of obsessing on the person you want to be, focus on who you DON'T want to be. It's much easier to not do certain things than to break your head on some ideal of yourself.

When the dust settles, you may find out you've become who you were supposed to be all along.

more me here now!  (O/Os, ideas and junk): https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=215830.0

and mea culpas  (A/As): https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=221151.0

RedPhoenix

Quote from: Madmartigan on July 04, 2015, 07:31:28 AM
RedPhoenix - should I call you Moon Child, then?  ;)

Moon Child, Moonbeam, something like that. <3

Quote from: Nowherewoman on July 04, 2015, 09:27:29 AM
Tentative interest as I run for the ferry. More later, hopefully.

Yay! :D

Nowherewoman

So, thinking about a wandering biker chick type, something of a Daughter of Anarchy. Not down with a gang, just a sort of independent traveller-troublemaker. She camps out in Las Sangres because there's so many empty places To camp out in.

Alt concetps:
An Indian who's been a vampire for a fair length of time, and understands a lot about it, but isn't as into the harder-edged more violent side of the culture. UNless she's pushed...

or...

A Kindred real estate developer from back East who's looking into Las Sangres as an investment. But does she want the living or the undead moving in? Hmmm...

It's usually easy for me to come up with character ideas; might be easier to know what you think would fit, or absolutely WOULDN'T fit, Ixy.

Inage inspirations:

Instead of obsessing on the person you want to be, focus on who you DON'T want to be. It's much easier to not do certain things than to break your head on some ideal of yourself.

When the dust settles, you may find out you've become who you were supposed to be all along.

more me here now!  (O/Os, ideas and junk): https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=215830.0

RedPhoenix

Name: Daisy something?
Concept: Hippie Beach Bum type
Brief History: Runaway from somewhere in the Great Plains. Came to CA, ward of the state in a foster home with a local whale tour guide type. Constantly in trouble but always good natured, pays no attention to rules, omnisexual. Likes surfing, skateboarding, and getting high and dancing around with her friends. Theoretically in high school but not often seen there.

Nowherewoman

OK, further refinement:

Karine Cooper is a wealthy Kindred speculator, who has a vision for Las Sangres. She sees it as the perfect site for a new resort community, a playground for the Beautiful People- and the Beautiful Vampires who will pay a pile to play with and feed from them.

Of course, first she needs to get enough of the locals, mortal and im-, on board; she has no interest in getting tied up in red tape- and a high vampire killrate is NOT a good selling point...

Ixy

Alias

consider my interest official. I like it, and I love the movie. I'll think about the concept that I'm working on, some Stanford graduate without any idea of how the world really works. It's still forming, I'll get some brainstorming done and hunt down a character model for now.

Ixy

I love what I've seen so far.  I'm a little slow right now, but I expect to pick up my pace this weekend. 

I will have at least one NPC 'master vampire' (such a trite name, isn't it?) and a couple of locals for interaction.  What can we do to add atmosphere?  I like the idea of adding lots of setting description, allowing players and st's to freely create environment and the like.  I also like the idea of adding music, images, etc. to add to the writing experience. 

Just as a kickstarter, be thinking of how your character might end up on the boardwalk on the Fourth of July, ok?

Foxy DeVille

I had a couple character ideas that could be either human or vampire...

A young Latina, daughter of illegal immigrants, feeling stuck because she can't go to college because she isn't American. Her family has moved around a lot to keep ahead of INS. Or... that could just be a cover story to hide her true nature.

A B-movie actress from the 70's whose career is long over. She lives in seclusion in a big house at the edge of town. When people see her she looks a lot like she did ten years ago. Maybe there's a reason why...

Keaton

Ons & Offs  Search Thread  Apologies & Absences   Current Stories: 1