News:

Sarkat And Rian: Happily Ever After? [EX]
Congratulations shengami & FoxgirlJay for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Has anyone played any good video games lately?

Started by Music is life, July 20, 2013, 06:54:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oniya

Quote from: Hemingway on December 04, 2014, 10:24:35 AM
It's 'strangely' empty because it's a post-disaster scenario - not just being randomly stuck in the wilderness. There are people around, though. But they're all dead. Every time I see one of them, I go "that will not be me".

Ah - see, I thought the player character was the survivor of an accident of some sort.  I'm hoping that the guy who did the LP revisits it after release.  Having a story, even if it's something you have to piece together, will be a big help.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Marx

If you are a fan of Fighting genre(s) or Arcade styled Fighters, then I definitely recommend picking up a copy of Guilty Gear -Xrd-. The Guilty Gear franchise has always been a favorite of mine, and it takes me quite a ways back. If I remember correctly, it is still one of the most popular arcade fighters to date in Japan and other remote areas in the world. If you are someone who wants an even paced game, that isn't too reliant on "flashy" combos over and over (Looking at you Marvel vs. Capcom 3) and is more technical/Mind games (understanding your opponents moveset, hitbox, and player match-up in a similar vein to Street Fighter mechanics) then Guilty Gear Xrd is a game you very may as well enjoy. Unlike it's predecessors, the game is much more easier to get into, and the execution sequences can vary. The design is top notch, and the music is as good as it will ever be (If you are a fan of progressive Metal/Rock music that is, but Daisuke does a pretty good job.) The game is a nice balance between the mindset of a Street Fighter player (where you really on poking the opponent out of attacks, and spacing yourself or creating set-ups on the screen to allow you advantage) with that of your much faster paced Arcade Fighter (If you played Blazblue before, the game will feel very similar.)

Overall fun game for veteran players and beginners alike. However, these kind of games are not meant for everyone, and the timing and execution needed to put in certain moves or attacks may frustrate you if you are new to these kind of games, but that all comes down to how much time you would put into it as well as practice.
O/O

Twisted Crow

Final Fantasy XIII is probably the best movie I've ever played...

Oniya

Quote from: Twisted Crow on January 11, 2015, 01:11:26 PM
Final Fantasy XIII is probably the best movie I've ever played...

I see what you did there.  :D
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Zeth

Sunset Overdrive is fun if you are okay with grinding and wall running everywhere. That can be a tun off for some people.

Mathim

I just downloaded a bunch of classic games on my PS3 so I've been in nostalgic heaven the last couple of days.

I definitely recommend Xenogears, one of the best RPGs of the '90's. The early Spyro the Dragon games were, I feel, the best and really didn't need a big story and advanced graphics to be awesome games. And if nobody's heard of it, Alundra. The Playstation's answer to the early Legend of Zelda games, if anyone is looking for something akin to A Link to the Past but which is a little more...advanced. Not nearly as simple or short.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Zeth

I loved Alundra, but go ahead and skip Alundra 2. They change the main character and entire story so much, it should of been called something else.

Mathim

Quote from: Zeth on January 11, 2015, 03:57:44 PM
I loved Alundra, but go ahead and skip Alundra 2. They change the main character and entire story so much, it should of been called something else.

The entire mechanic of the game changed, and the appearance too. The word 'Alundra' wasn't even mentioned in it, either. Totally just a name-drop to help sales.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Zeth

If you like the entering people's dreams theme of Alundra then I suggest Dual Hearts for the PS2.

Description clipped from wikipedia.
The plot begins with a treasure hunter named Rumble learning about a treasure, the Dream Stone on Sonno Island and setting out for it. At the same time, Tumble, who is a magical dream creature called a baku, is summoned by the Dream Queen to protect dream orbs. They both come to the same island and after a strange twist of fate become partners. Bakus can exist both within the dream world and the real world, and Rumble uses Tumble to travel into different peoples' dreams searching for the dream orbs. Most of the dreams become nightmares full of dangerous monsters.

I had fun with it. Though it is an old game and the game requested new games. *Shrugs*

CaptainNexus616

I've been playing Assassin's Creed Unity for the last week. It's a pretty fun game as long as you don't play online or you will be in for a world of glitches and such.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

Zeth

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on January 11, 2015, 08:41:55 PM
I've been playing Assassin's Creed Unity for the last week. It's a pretty fun game as long as you don't play online or you will be in for a world of glitches and such.

I play the online multi-player just fine. That initiate website malaky doesn't work though.

Speaking of AC:Unity, I enjoy solving the Murder Case files.

Revelation

Quote from: Mathim on January 11, 2015, 01:57:04 PM
I just downloaded a bunch of classic games on my PS3 so I've been in nostalgic heaven the last couple of days.

I definitely recommend Xenogears, one of the best RPGs of the '90's. The early Spyro the Dragon games were, I feel, the best and really didn't need a big story and advanced graphics to be awesome games. And if nobody's heard of it, Alundra. The Playstation's answer to the early Legend of Zelda games, if anyone is looking for something akin to A Link to the Past but which is a little more...advanced. Not nearly as simple or short.

Xenogears is a great game but disk 2 is a heart breaker.

If you want another fantastic game, try Vagrant Story for the PS1 (Also on the PSN), it has possibly the best translation/localization effort in any game. The forging/item creation stuff is a bit confusing to learn but is absolutely necessary to learn to play the game and beat it, though.

Mathim

Quote from: Changingsaint on January 11, 2015, 10:19:12 PM
Xenogears is a great game but disk 2 is a heart breaker.

If you want another fantastic game, try Vagrant Story for the PS1 (Also on the PSN), it has possibly the best translation/localization effort in any game. The forging/item creation stuff is a bit confusing to learn but is absolutely necessary to learn to play the game and beat it, though.

Is it a strategy RPG like Final Fantasy Tactics or is it a turn-based JRPG like the other Final Fantasy games? I know the PSX had a ton of those but only very few were really done well enough to be worth the 50+ hours it took to finish them.

Zeth

Xenogears is turned based, but also has mecha piloting in it. I never finished it, but still loved it or it's ability to blend 2D and 3D graphics.

Mathim

Quote from: Zeth on January 12, 2015, 11:02:25 PM
Xenogears is turned based, but also has mecha piloting in it. I never finished it, but still loved it or it's ability to blend 2D and 3D graphics.

My question was about Vagrant Story, but yeah, Xenogears was a very rare blend of 2D sprites on a fully 3D, rotatable-camera background. I just wish there was a slightly better balance between using the Gears and using the human characters. And that disc 2 wasn't almost entirely exposition and more dungeon/world exploring. I've never played a game (RPG, at least) where strategy was so utterly indispensable in boss fights because of how it's simply impossible to level-grind enough to beef up your Gears. But it's worth finishing, give it another shot if you have a PS3.

Revelation

Quote from: Mathim on January 12, 2015, 10:57:54 PM
Is it a strategy RPG like Final Fantasy Tactics or is it a turn-based JRPG like the other Final Fantasy games? I know the PSX had a ton of those but only very few were really done well enough to be worth the 50+ hours it took to finish them.

Vagrant story is an action RPG with a combat system more akin to Parasite eve 1's combat than anything else.

CaptainNexus616

speaking of action RPG's who here played Radiata Stories for the PS2? Now that game is an underappreciated gem.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

Zeth

I have and I loved it. Recruiting all the friends was fun, but the game really did have a good cast. I played through both story archs and still hold Lord Star and Sebastian as my favorite characters n the game.

youngpervyoldman

Last game finished was The Wolf Among Us which I thoroughly enjoyed. Next up is probably Infamous: First Light since it just came up free on PS Plus.

King Serperior

I've recently started playing 'Spec Ops: The Line' and, although I am not too far into it, I am, enjoying it.

O/O's
A/A'sMonster Girl Palace
SFW Image Ideas for Scifi, Fantasy, Horror, and Steampunk Games! | My various characters, if you are curious! | I am a Rainbow Writer!
Post Rate: 1 post per game every 1-4 weeks on average  ||| I encourage any and all random PMs.

Inkidu

Quote from: King Serperior on January 13, 2015, 09:20:12 PM
I've recently started playing 'Spec Ops: The Line' and, although I am not too far into it, I am, enjoying it.
The only thing you should have heard about that game before playing it is that you need to play it. So. Good.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

HairyHeretic

Not played, but Warhammer: Total War seems to have just been leaked

http://www.polygon.com/2015/1/14/7544727/total-war-warhammer-announced-creative-assembly

care of an upcoming art book / interview.

I'd much prefer Warhammer 40,000 / Horus Heresy: Total War, but the Total War series are good, and I think they could do justice to a Warhammer game.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Inkidu

Quote from: HairyHeretic on January 14, 2015, 09:40:04 AM
Not played, but Warhammer: Total War seems to have just been leaked

http://www.polygon.com/2015/1/14/7544727/total-war-warhammer-announced-creative-assembly

care of an upcoming art book / interview.

I'd much prefer Warhammer 40,000 / Horus Heresy: Total War, but the Total War series are good, and I think they could do justice to a Warhammer game.
Unfortunately I'm a 40K guy or go home, especially since they dropped the really-a-planet-in-the-40K-universe angle. :\
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

HairyHeretic

You going to have a go at Eternal Crusade when it launches?
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Inkidu

Quote from: HairyHeretic on January 14, 2015, 11:19:56 AM
You going to have a go at Eternal Crusade when it launches?
Not sure, depends on the requirements.