Instead of a post count...

Started by Greenthorn, July 31, 2008, 08:43:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greenthorn

I think that "member since <enter date here>" would be better!  Post counts are really useless since many (including myself) have high numbers from when we got em for the socializing threads.

Sherona

Member since <date here> really wouldn't be an indicator of activity on the forums. Post count is...even if it is in mostly socializing forums. And now that Vekseid has made it to wher ethe socializing forums no longer count towards post count, that won't sway things any more. *smiles*

Greenthorn

But we already have the nifty little fae, seduced, and so on titles to give an idea of post count..so why be redundant with the exact numbers also?  Personally I would like to see how long someone has been a member for, instead of the exact number of posts they have.  It would also help when looking for a writing partner for some who have complained that people disappear (and it's mostly the newer people who disappear)

Sherona

Not many know what each title signifies. I would rather see the activity of the person, since the member since is righ ton their profile, and post count would presumably be removed since its listed where its listed on their posts. But it's not really something that so majorly important that I will throw fusses over, I jsut think that dates will divide things even more so between 'older' and 'newer' players.

I also find its the older players that tend to drop more often, due to burn out mainly. But thats just been my experiance. Date Joined really wouldn't show anything except when they joined...doesn't show that they joined...and never posted until three days ago..or joined, posted for three weeks, disappeared for five months and came back.

Paradox

There are two options in everyone's profile that work wonderfully for examining someone's post count more in-depth. They're both under the "view the general statistics of this member" button. It shows you which threads they post in most frequently; for instance, I have over 550 posts, yet if you look at my statistics, the majority of them are from the Introduction Threads. I don't do nearly as much story writing as I used to; now, I mainly wander around the intro threads and the various boxes, welcoming new victims applicants and terrorizing socializing with existing members. The little 550 next to my name is misleading since it may give some people the impression that I have 550 story-related posts.

"More than ever, the creation of the ridiculous is almost impossible because of the competition it receives from reality."-Robert A. Baker

Bliss

FWIW, you can see how long someone's been here by clicking through to their profile. For GreenThorn, for Example, it says:
Date Registered:     February 20, 2008, 12:40:23 am
O/O ~ Wiki ~ A/A ~ Discord: Bliss#0337
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

Kalen

We need a maturity level indicator! 

But I don't know how to code that.   And mine would end up really low...

Um... scratch that.

Greenthorn

Quote from: Bliss on August 01, 2008, 08:20:56 AM
FWIW, you can see how long someone's been here by clicking through to their profile. For GreenThorn, for Example, it says:
Date Registered:     February 20, 2008, 12:40:23 am

Well yeah...I know all of this wonderful information is available on our profiles...and the stats page, and yeah sure post count shows how active one is...but so Kalen and I are equal with activity yet he posts to stories much more than I do and he's been around about 7 months longer than I...

The info above our avatars really isn't quality information if you think about it.  Post count really shows not a thing to anyone when it comes to stories/games. 

We look at avatars for information don't we...they are our identities...even putting our sexual orientation...hell...or even status (for the D/s people) would give a lot more info.  I just think post count is misleading considering how I accumulated mine.

(if none of this was organized or made sense I apologize...)

Bliss

It totally makes sense... but I think that there comes a point, really, when if you find yourself caring that much about the information the number represents, you have to take the time and energy upon yourself to go digging - find out by looking through past posts how many are game posts, and how many are socials and OT posts? How much quality and energy goes into those posts? Is the CONTENT of the story posts the sort of writing you want to pair up with?

That's something I don't think any number can really quantify.
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

Maeven

Quote from: Bliss on August 01, 2008, 09:42:01 AM
It totally makes sense... but I think that there comes a point, really, when if you find yourself caring that much about the information the number represents, you have to take the time and energy upon yourself to go digging - find out by looking through past posts how many are game posts, and how many are socials and OT posts? How much quality and energy goes into those posts? Is the CONTENT of the story posts the sort of writing you want to pair up with?

That's something I don't think any number can really quantify.

Right, I mean... Someone can have 1039756297 posts ONLY in games but if they are all one liners, then, that isn't really helpful either. 

You sorta have to really look at someone's profile, and filter through the last posts to see their style.  And on a side note: I feel bad for anyone looking through mine and having to sort through the nonsense I post in the StB before getting to story content.  *grin*

The post count is just a number... as is the date joined. You have to look beyond the cover to really see the writer.  (wow, dude that's soooo deepomg ima dork
What a wicked game to play, to make me feel this way.
What a wicked thing to do, to let me dream of you.
What a wicked thing to say, you never felt this way.
What a wicked thing to do, to make me dream of you. 

The Cardinal Rule

Bliss

Yeah, they usually put the author images on the inside flap.

*serious nod*
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

Greenthorn

So..then...you both agree that post count is pretty useless?  (I think that's what I got from the posts haha...me..simple...Bliss...eloquent...Maeven..dude she's like so cool...*giggles*)

I just think some kind of more valuable information would be much more appropiate than post count..and less redundant since we have the little titles (fae, seduced)...

I'd like to see something in place of both of those things.

(this is the bugs and suggestions thread...this is only my suggestion)

Kalen

*ponders the words inside flap, then manages (barely) to restrain himself*

I agree with Maeven on the importance of reading someone's writing.  I always do that... for me, it's less the quantity of the person's work, and more the quality.

To pick on a recent applicant?  I set MusicNeverDies FAR above some longstanding writers here, because of her stunning talent.  Yet, she's fairly new... fairly low postcount.  She's a perfect example of the Quality/Quantity argument.

And how can we measure that?  It's in the eye of the beholder.

Paradox

Let's have a rating system! We can all go around reading each other's posts and give them one to five stars, or a rating from one to ten, then have the combined average display next to our names!

/endfacetiousness 

The only reason I glance at the post count is to see if someone is relatively new or not; however, that's no real indicator if they're muse is particularly fecund or as someone mentioned, they post a ton of one-liners. People that joined more than a month after me have accumulated a few hundred more posts than I have already. In the end, I end up going to look at their profile to see their registration date.

I often think that having a post count displayed so prominently is simply an ego boost for a lot of people.

"More than ever, the creation of the ridiculous is almost impossible because of the competition it receives from reality."-Robert A. Baker

Greenthorn

Quote from: Paradox on August 01, 2008, 10:08:29 AM

I often think that having a post count displayed so prominently is simply an ego boost for a lot of people.

I agree...and as I said...redundant since we have the little titles too.  I mean the titles stay and if anyone is interested enough, they go find the thread that explains them.

Surely there must be some better info to have displayed?

Bliss

Quote from: Paradox on August 01, 2008, 10:08:29 AM

Yup!

Quote from: Greenthorn on August 01, 2008, 10:12:58 AM
I agree...and as I said...redundant since we have the little titles too.

Not entirely... the titles don't satisfy my errant fetish for round/milestone/pretty numbers.
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

Paradox

Quote from: Bliss on August 01, 2008, 10:18:55 AM
Not entirely... the titles don't satisfy my errant fetish for round/milestone/pretty numbers.

Yeah, my odometer excites me when it approaches interesting number combinations.

Last Halloween, I glanced down and noticed that that the tripometer said "666". That thrilled me to no end.

Sherona

Well I think that if we could find a better thing to put in post count then sure whatever. I am not hung up on people's start date or post count. I would rather see that spot blank. Like I said I don't want newbies to never get a chance to RP with older ones if they have the blazoned "Imma newbie" on their start date on every post.

Start dates are just as meaningless as post counts, if it ain't broke why worry about fixing it is always been my standards.

Sherona

Quote from: Greenthorn on August 01, 2008, 10:03:59 AM
So..then...you both agree that post count is pretty useless?  (I think that's what I got from the posts haha...me..simple...Bliss...eloquent...Maeven..dude she's like so cool...*giggles*)

I just think some kind of more valuable information would be much more appropiate than post count..and less redundant since we have the little titles (fae, seduced)...

I'd like to see something in place of both of those things.

(this is the bugs and suggestions thread...this is only my suggestion)

What I read was they thought post count and the start date pretty pointless.

Erm re-read this. I meant that that was how I read it, but re-reading their posts I can very well be mistaken as well.

Haibane

It would be good if the software only counted posts in the game and story and writing forums.

And the count could be backdated so all the older members had their post counts reset to actual game/writing posts ;)

*runs for cover*

Greenthorn

Quote from: Haibane on August 02, 2008, 06:46:33 PM
It would be good if the software only counted posts in the game and story and writing forums.

And the count could be backdated so all the older members had their post counts reset to actual game/writing posts ;)

*runs for cover*

That would be nice actually

*does not fear the low post count*

Sherona

I like that idea too Hai, and I think Veks, in one fo the on topic posts, was toying witht hat idea. I will lose around 500 myself but I am not one to worry about my or others post count. Though if it was just 'substantial' posts rather then one words for association games, then it would be even nicer :)

Haibane

I think any of the socializing forums should not count, so that would exclude the word games too. I've no idea if the software can be set up that way, I'm no programmer *shrugs* but at least then the number would become a useful indicator of writing activity. I'm okay if it includes even one-liners in game threads; I'm a firm believer that the one-liner has it's place as much as the 2000-3000 word epic has, there are situations when a simple "Yes ma'am," or "Yes, sir," post is perfect in fact.

I'm happy to say...  :P

Xillen

It's already not counting some of the boards (mostly the "Socializing & Games" and "Adult Socializing" boards). Technically, it could count the posts on whatever boards the admins deem appropiate (but as far as I remember, it doesn't readjust your current postcount if boards suddenly stopped counting, though I could be wrong here).

But then, what's the point? Even if you only count the right column for instance, then there's still OOC threads in there. And what about the one liners VS the paragraph posts. Does 5 oneliners really indicate more activity than 4 posts of 8+ paragraphs?

Also don't forget that E is more than just the stories being written on it. Removing the postcount from all those boards would indicate that those sections are not important, which is incorrect. Only the two socializing boards have some threads that could bump postcount up into insanity, and that just would be wrong. It would be as pointless as counting every line in the shoutbox and the chat.

As for GT's initial question, I really don't get the "instead of". Technically it would be possible to add the registration date next to each post, but that wouldn't have effect on the postcount. It's not like the postcount is taking up a specific space. Both postcount and registration date can easily be found in the profile, though, so personally I don't care about either being visible.

Greenthorn

My whole point is: post count is useless as an indicator of the person posting

Xillen

And registration date is?

*scratches head*

Greenthorn

Quote from: Xillen on August 03, 2008, 01:28:55 PM
And registration date is?

*scratches head*

Tells you how long someone has been a member duh! *smiles*

Xillen

Which means what exactly? There's been quite a bunch of people that have been on a hiatus for a year or two, so seriously, what does it mean.

I find the "Last online at" entry a LOT more useful!

Greenthorn

Well in all actuality..then add sexual preferences instead of post counts...

Xillen

There you go with the instead of again. There's no point to instead of :P

And you can enter that in your Custom Title, Avatar Description or Signature.

Greenthorn

Quote from: Xillen on August 03, 2008, 01:37:10 PM
There you go with the instead of again. There's no point to instead of :P

And you can enter that in your Custom Title, Avatar Description or Signature.

*beats Xillen with a dead fish*

*walks away*

Haibane

*looks at GT as she walks away downcast and feels a bit shitty*

Date joined is useful, no matter how long a hiatus somone may have enjoyed it is still a useful general indicator of committment to E.

...But it's already easily available in the user profile. Duh #1.

Date of last post is useful as an indicator of current activity on E, but it's already easily available in the user profile. Duh #2.

Socializing-based post counts are useless, misleading and often get inflated by egotists. Duh #3.

Sexual orientation and etcetera, etcetera is in the O/Os. Duh #4.

Post count of writing/game threads only is a general useful indicator of a person's activity, and yes, five one liners are as useful to me as five 1000 words posts within the limited remit of what writing-based post count can deliver.

Basically though all of these are merely general helps. They don't tell you if the person is Shakespeare or a gutter press hack or a txtspkr, they don't tell you anything specifically and they never will. If you are interested in getting to know what a fellow member is really like you gotta go hit that PM button and invest some time in good old human conversation.

*nails portfolio to the cathedral door and leaves thread, hands in pockets kicking a coke can*

Paradox

*sneaks up to the Cathedral door and adds a 96th thesis*

Actually, it is possible to determine if someone's writing skills are on par with the Bard. You failed to mention the "Show the last posts of this person" button. By browsing their story-related posts, it's possible to acquaint yourself with their style, grammar, skill, etc. I do not start a story without referencing my potential partner's prior posts.

Edit: You did mention the aforementioned button; however, you neglected to point out how useful it can be in finding out about a member's writing abilities.

Trieste

*steals the 69th thesis with a rush of juvenile glee and no small amount of giggling*

Some people value postcount. Some value post length. Some pay attention to socialization sections, and some shun those who post in the social sections. Some like it hot. Some like it cold.

Some like it in the fridge, five days old.

Generally, people have found ways to judge others' writing, usually through the 'show last posts' option. Postcount is quick and easy and it's a forum standard to have it there. I like it within glancing distance... and if I want to know more, I click on the name and view the profile - although that option tends to have more info for me than for most users, it's generally about as useful.

I think it boils down to the fact that most have gotten used to methods of ferreting out the info they want without having it displayed on the left.

Greenthorn

aight yo peeps!!  slow your rolls!!

*blinks*

Anyway...I wasn't making the suggestion because of anything to do with determining people's writing ability..y'all just ran out to left field with da ball yo!

(*must stop fighting stated age*)

I just would like to see something more important than post count as a fixed bit of information above our avatars!

*sighs and kicks a can on the way out*

Trieste

Xillen

Seriously, why is it so bad to have postcount there? (And since you seem to insist on replacing it, instead of just adding something, I'm assuming you want it removed from there.)

Greenthorn

Quote from: Xillen on August 03, 2008, 04:37:28 PM
Seriously, why is it so bad to have postcount there? (And since you seem to insist on replacing it, instead of just adding something, I'm assuming you want it removed from there.)

It just bugs me...it's redundant...post count, then a "title" (fae or whatever) which also goes by post count...

*feels redundant now*

*hopes Trieste comes and hugs again....grins*

Xillen

So then you want to replace it by something even more redundant? :|

Greenthorn

Quote from: Xillen on August 03, 2008, 04:41:45 PM
So then you want to replace it by something even more redundant? :|

Can I just...throw you in my closet and keep you there?! 

Seriously though...I just would like to see -something more appropiate-. 

*stops and goes away until I have a better idea*

Haibane

I have a better idea. Come and stay the night at my place.

*kicks can back*

Paradox

How about post quality instead of post count?

Do a rating system.

I think I already blabbed about this earlier, but I'm sure a voting/rating system could be set up.

MusicNeverDies

I have a pretty low post count and a pretty low join date, so either of those and I'm still doomed, heh.

I don't know if this is possible, I've seen it on other forums though so I'm putting it out there. A karma system, where theres a nice little button in a persons profile where you can give or take a karma point, something like 3 a day as to not get crazy. I think if we could get something like that going people could give a point to someone who they like the writing of, or take away from someone who is being disrespectful, inactive, immature, etc. It would be a general symbol of their ability in terms of a basic consensus.

Unless we could get a 1-10 rating system for writing up, I think that might be the best alternative.

Paradox

Yeah, the 1-10 was my original idea, or a 1-5 star system.

I think some people may take offense to that though.

Trieste

We had a karma system... it was removed due to abuse.

MusicNeverDies

Quote from: Paradox on August 03, 2008, 06:35:06 PM
Yeah, the 1-10 was my original idea, or a 1-5 star system.

I think some people may take offense to that though.
Some might, but the people on here should all be adult and mature enough to understand. If we put anything in the public hand, people will take offence when someone else is higher ranked then them, that's unavoidable. Which only leaves pure statistics, and we've already established the flaws with join dates and point counts.

@Trieste; I was unaware.

Trieste

Paradox

Quote from: Trieste on August 03, 2008, 06:38:52 PM
We had a karma system... it was removed due to abuse.

Yeah, people kept trying to give me a much higher rating than was possible through the system. Ah, my adoring fans.

MusicNeverDies

Quote from: Paradox on August 03, 2008, 06:41:58 PM
Yeah, people kept trying to give me a much higher rating than was possible through the system. Ah, my adoring fans.
And that was before you posted your picture? Now they might just crash the site, I understand the flaws now.

New plan, ban para and try again? :P

Moondazed

I think the problem with a rating system is that it's pretty easy to get a group of friends together to just vote each other's stories up to the top.  Sure, I'd love to say we're too mature for that, but I'm pretty sure we all know better.  The Threadies thread gave people an opportunity to recommend each other's threads and it very rarely got used.  I don't know what the answer is.  I just worry that a rating system will end up where the karma system went, and that wasn't anywhere positive.
~*~ Sexual Orientation: bi ~*~ BDSM Orientation: switch ~*~ Ons and Offs ~*~ Active Stories ~*~

Paradox

I feel the same way. I think there would be far too many bugs to work out with it. It's nice to think that we're all mature adults here, Music, but the sad truth is that even on Elliquiy, social situations can spawn injustices. I wasn't around when the aforementioned Karma system was in place, but I can see where it would be a problem. Most systems that use Elliquiy's software platform incorporate a conspicuously-placed Post Count for their users. It may just be something we have to accept. People would undoubtedly complain if it were taken away.

Sherona

As Trieste said before, Some liket he post count, others are indifferent, and apparenlty there is one or two who don't like it.

Some consider milestones, like 5000 posts, 10000 posts etc to be a goal, and I know every single person on the "Most posts" in forum stats did so with substantial posts more so then word association.

Now that Veks removed the socializing threads from counting towards post ocunt I see no reason to remove them.

GothicFires

I honestly think the only thing that is going to work correctly each and every time is doing your 'homework'. If a person expresses interest in you then go check out their threads. If you intend on making a long term investment with this person by writing a game then its worth a little bit of time. If a person is new and there is not enough information there then ask them for what you need. Talk... converse... Sometimes the game will work out some times it wont. I've had games fail with both good and midline writers, new players and ones that had been around longer than I have. However I have never regretted giving any of those games a chance.

I think there are too many individual taste to do a rating system. There are writers out there that I like that write better with some writers than they do with others. I don't think rating those would do justice to the writer's capability in that situation. Also I would hate to hurt someone's feelings by rating them a 1. Its one thing to tell someone they are not what you are looking for in the privicy of a pm. It would really suck to be rated a 1 for everyone to see.
looking for new games
discord: Agara#3507

Vekseid

I have been thinking of including statistics like average game response time, average game response length, average game response reliability, etc.

I know I'd do fairly horribly there and we'd have to have something in place to boot people who tried to game the system, but no system can be inherently perfect.

Sherona

Quote from: Vekseid on August 03, 2008, 11:14:21 PM
I have been thinking of including statistics like average game response time, average game response length, average game response reliability, etc.

I know I'd do fairly horribly there and we'd have to have something in place to boot people who tried to game the system, but no system can be inherently perfect.

Instead of removing post count, as I know more then a handful celebrate certain numbers, can we have that simply added as well? I think that would be pretty interesting, the average game response time and length, etc and so forth.

Xillen

Can we like put that in the profile and not in the mass of data left of everyone's post? It's cluttered enough as it is already.

Other than that, it sounds like useful info, and it would work quite well in 1on1 games, but this stuff would be pretty complex for group games.

Also, would it be really fair? Say someone from Europe and someone from North America have a game together. They both only log in in the evenings, making their post in the thread at 9 PM every day straight. This way, the american has a response time of 6 hours, while the european has a response time of 18 hours. Theoretically, the european is slacking more. Maybe a general value for less than 24 hours?

Moondazed

Isn't this supposed to be about having fun?  I'm not sure that adding statistics that put pressure on people to make their life revolve around posting is a good thing.  And really, does response time equal superiority?  What about someone who writes extremely well but doesn't have nearly as much free time as someone who is less thorough or imaginative?  I'm not sure that's value-added.
~*~ Sexual Orientation: bi ~*~ BDSM Orientation: switch ~*~ Ons and Offs ~*~ Active Stories ~*~

Greenthorn

I am totally against the idea of those stats being available!

All of my games are slow, sometimes it's my fault, sometimes it's my partners' and I think it would be totally unfair considering some of us have RL issues, to "downgrade" us because we don't answer posts quickly! 

And as for post length...yeah again, that would not be cool.  I know I am fairly adaptable with post length, but wouldn't that be putting on added pressure to write -longer posts- to not look...illiterate?

Personally...and it's my opinion (and I don't really need the backlash for -my- opinion), I think those stats create elitist and separation within the community.

Moondazed

I don't know about elitism and separation, I just think that they aren't representative of the point of the site, unless the point of the site is cranking out words :)

MusicNeverDies

I think that the average time for a reply post would just be a bad thing. It's already been stated about time differences and real life. But also, it wouldn't account for the length. Someone could whip up an obscure 2 sentence reply in a minute and get great stats, where someone who puts a lot of time and effort into 2-3 paragraph responses would be marked lower. Which is almost punishing people for making detailed, thoughtful posts.

I'd love to see the average post length though, not that quantity is so much better then quality, but it does help in getting an idea.

Trieste

I'm not really liking the idea of another stat in the lefthand display. I like postcount where it is.

I think another avatar would be cool, though. You could set your own personal avatar, and then you could have a space below the personal avatar to showcase what your characters would look like... It would be interesting to have them be animated and scrolling through a few pictures (like Darwishi's avatar does)... with their names underneath, so you knew who you were looking at.

Maybe a link below the second avatar that goes to the game thread for the character pictured...

I think that'd be way cool.

Xillen

At first I was going to mention that that would probably be part of character integration, which Vekseid is planning for the upgrade. However, the images being visible from outside the game is something else. It surely sounds interesting, but also spacehogging. The postlength in pixels is already doubled for most posts due to the left header as it is. Do we really need more stuff to clutter it up.

I'd rather like a bar right below or above the signature, since there's space left over nearly all the time anyhow (at least on my 1680x1050 screen).

Oh, and if you want to add links, make the images clickable, instead of providing a seperate link :P

Trieste

Well, I like the idea of being able to scroll down and see charpics.

And it'd be good to know what you're clicking, so the name of the game along the bottom would be clickable.

Maybe also the category below it so that people don't accidentally go into non-con if they don't want to.

Moondazed

That's a heck of a lot of information to clutter things up with :)  I like it when people keep an elluiki page of their threads so I can read their threads, and it would be easy to integrate character pictures on a wiki page.  I actually keep a wiki page on each thread with details about the characters, so that I don't have to go back and reread the entire thread if I'm away for a short while (which happens to me fairly often).

Trieste

But the pictures! The pretty pictures! :)

Moondazed

The pretty pictures are great for people who don't have dialup, and people who don't view from work :)  I was just thinking that it would be awesome to have a selection of things that you could display if you wanted to see them, that way those who don't want to for one reason or another don't have to, but those who want all of that info front and center could have it.  I'm not sure that wouldn't be a tad complex to pull off, though.

Xillen

If you check look and layout preferences in your profile settings, you'll find several "Don't show" flags, that could be useful for such a purpose as well.

Moondazed

Yup... I make use of those checkboxes :)

MagicalPen

As previously stated, Join Date is a pretty moot point compared to Post Count. For instance, some one might only post once a month and have been here 2 years, as opposed to some one who joined 5 months ago and posts 5 times a day.

Anyways, I do my research now. I check when the person registered and how many posts they have made. I typically don't try to start up anything with a person under 100 - 200 posts. From there, I go to check their On/Offs. If they don't have them, I will generally avoid. If they pass those first two checks, then I look at their profile (avatars are always a bonus)  and their last posts. If their last posts are 90% in the Fun/Games area, then I typically avoid them all together. If its mostly games, then i check out their posts and see their style etc.

Vek also mentioned a new profile change in the works a long time ago? Whats the latest on that?

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Looking/Available for New Games

Haibane

Quote from: Greenthorn on August 04, 2008, 10:01:32 AM
I am totally against the idea of those stats being available!

All of my games are slow, sometimes it's my fault, sometimes it's my partners' and I think it would be totally unfair considering some of us have RL issues, to "downgrade" us because we don't answer posts quickly!
I didn't read it as a stick to beat people with at all. I like quick turnaround posters... some people have a lifestyle that means they prefer one post a week response time. If you have that info you'd at least have a very general idea of the sort of game pacing you could expect if you had a game with that person. That is all I would see in that data, and I'm sure that was Vek's intent too, not a tool to name and shame the 'slackers' (for there is no such thing).

Vandren

Not to hijack or de-rail, but this is a good point.  :)

Quote from: moondazed on August 04, 2008, 02:30:46 PMI like it when people keep an elluiki page of their threads so I can read their threads, and it would be easy to integrate character pictures on a wiki page.  I actually keep a wiki page on each thread with details about the characters, so that I don't have to go back and reread the entire thread if I'm away for a short while (which happens to me fairly often).

I think this and a personal page per site member are things we'll be encouraging people to do once the new wiki form is finally set up.  Once that happens (I guess there're some technical issues on Vek's end), people can choose whatever stats/images they wish to include on that page.  :) 

Regarding the overall thread . . . I personally see nothing wrong with the current left hand box as it currently stands.  However, adding things to it is probably more bells and whistles than the box or the site really needs - as with everything else the more bells and whistles there are, the greater the chance that something will break; sometimes simplicity is best.  As MagicalPen nee Silvestine has already pointed out, there are plenty of places to find more specific posting information already if one is interested.

Quote from: haibaneIf you have that info you'd at least have a very general idea of the sort of game pacing you could expect if you had a game with that person.

Alternatively, you can PM the person or talk to them in public boards and ask what sort of posting speed they're looking for.  ;)
"Life is growth.  If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." -Morihei Ueshiba, O-Sensei

Sherona

the only reason I don't use Elluiki is because it is highly confusing and just all around too much trouble for a very little reward. I write my games for my and my writing partner's enjoyment, and when I am not taking a week off of writing they stay pretty high up, so people are able to read them there if they want. If not, that is just as well.

To others Elluiki is really nice, but I find people using their O/O thread or their Game Idea threads for the same thing Elluiki is used for..to list games. It just seems a whole lot simpler to me to do that.

Moondazed

The size of the reward is in the eyes of the beholder :)  I think some people dislike technology and aren't interested in learning new ones, and that's not a crime, but it's a great option for those who want to learn it.  I'm happy to be a personal tutor :)

Vandren

Quote from: Sherona on August 06, 2008, 07:05:15 AMthe only reason I don't use Elluiki is because it is highly confusing and just all around too much trouble for a very little reward.

Hopefully this will change when the new version is implemented.  One of the reasons moondazed and I ended up on the non-technical development end is to make Elluiki more user friendly.  Personally, I'd like it to be easier to navigate, which I think we've done a good job of developing a system for.
"Life is growth.  If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." -Morihei Ueshiba, O-Sensei

Sherona

I would like to point out that I am at best...a barely technocologically literate person. Which is why I find Elluki to be confusing and kind of hard to work with. *grins* Not because fo the page, but my own ineptitude.

MagicalPen

[Insert Picture of Man beating a Dead Horse]

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Looking/Available for New Games

Paradox

Edit: That may be a camel, so to be on the safe side-

Vandren

That's why Moon and I'll be there.  :)  Really it's just typing, the only potentially rough things to learn are tagging (categories) and inter-page links.  Maybe headings and inserting images.  Once we've got the organizational structure in place to help people find things, I think it'll be a good resource for storing character profiles and general game info (settings, images, etc.) as well as personal profiles that go beyond the O/o sheet (if people so desire).

Xillen

To be very honest, I find it easier to find these things in someone's O/O page, than having to look for a seperate Wiki. The wikis IMHO are more useful to store personal info, which I perhaps should make use of for stuff like game details on games I'm GMing.

Does Elluiki support private pages that only you can see yourself?

Vandren

Quote from: Xillen on August 10, 2008, 11:57:11 AMTo be very honest, I find it easier to find these things in someone's O/O page, than having to look for a seperate Wiki. The wikis IMHO are more useful to store personal info, which I perhaps should make use of for stuff like game details on games I'm GMing.

Which is more or less exactly what I said, though I added mention of space for GMs/Mods to store game info for their players.  :)

QuoteDoes Elluiki support private pages that only you can see yourself?

I don't believe so.  But, Vek says he wants to create public and private sections of the wiki (one part visible to anyone, one part visible only to Elliquiy members).  I'm not sure how that's going so far.

Xillen

Only visible to Elliquiy members ain't really cutting it, since the players are members too.

Guess the wiki's not what I'm looking for, sorry...

Moondazed

I believe there's been talk of a ScratchPad like feature at some point in the future.  I'm not sure if the upgraded wiki will allow pages only viewable by the author or not.  That kind of goes against what wikis were originally created to do :)