The Philospher and the Stone, or, The Question is in the Answer (Short Fiction)

Started by Les Man, January 21, 2012, 12:28:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Les Man

Quote from: Kazyth on January 20, 2012, 05:27:52 AM
Greetings and salutations there again, Les Man!

Hopefully you are enjoying yourself so far, and the questions haven't been too crazy.

Oh, and I'm right there with you on the banishment of brussel sprouts from the universe.  >_>

Now, as you don't have any other questions waiting at the moment, I figured I'd share my crazy question of the day:  You come across a meteor that has apparently crash-landed in the park.  It's glowing, and appears to be cracking open.  What do you find inside?

Looking forward to the details!

"The Philosopher and the Stone" or "The Question is in the Answer"

One comes across a meteor that has apparently crash-landed in the park.  It's glowing, and appears to be cracking open.  Inside the meteor is a previously undiscovered substance, possibly some of the last physical remnants of the Big Bang itself, the actual material that existed before the creation of the universe--that which existence itself is made of.  This substance could be the legendary Philosopher's Stone sought by brilliant minds throughout history--if enlightenment were an object, this would be it.

Staring at the object casts ones vision across time, touching it spreads ones senses across the universe.  All matter, all time, all energy and thought in the universe are focused within this material, it is the key--the answer--the truth.  The human mind was not constructed to comprehend such knowledge, yet through this, all things are possible.  Everything, nothing, infinity--such absolute concepts which once stretched the human mind to its very limits just in order to be able to imagine, are now as laughably simple as breath.  One sees beyond the borders of the universe, outside the confines of space and time, behind the fabric of existence itself.  Understanding is taken away and replaced with awareness, knowledge is crushed and in its place is left truth, desires are burned away to become destiny manifest.

As all becomes perceivable, obtainable, that which one desired to perceive, that which one sought to obtain, such things can be imagined into existence--but such things are as the desires of an infant to one with awareness such as it is now.  Wealth becomes emptiness, power becomes a weakness; humility becomes power, necessity becomes fulfillment.

I am... indescribable.  There is nothing that could equal my magnificence except for everything.  The flow of time becomes mine to move, all that is becomes mine to control--I am a single step below God Himself, all that was His is mine.  I consider the way I desire things to be and they change.  I desire the life I want live and I do.  I choose that which conflicts with my perfection, and discard it.  All is as it should be; I have created Heaven.  I have considered such things and they have come to be, for there is no thought, no will, beyond my own.

There is no hate, there is no loss; there is no conflict, there is no imperfection... beyond my own.  There is no peace beyond my own, no love beyond my own.  My realm is full, my joy is the joy of others, my will is the will of others.  My life is the life of others; there is no life beyond my own.  All is as I have willed it; I have created Hell.  I have considered such things and they have come to be, for there is no thought, no will, beyond my own.

As all is perceived, obtained, that which I desired to perceive, that which I sought to obtain, such things were merely imagined into existence--but such things are as the desires of an infant to one with awareness such as mine now.  Wealth becomes emptiness, power becomes a weakness; humility becomes power, necessity becomes fulfillment.

Arrogance becomes nothing, opinion becomes meaningless, desire becomes pain.  One considers such things and how they came to be, how there is no thought, no will, beyond one's one.  One becomes a single step away from God Himself, all that was His was yours.  One considers the way they desire things to be and they change.  The desire for perfection, the absence of challenge and lack of emotion--life as one wills it--such things are as God wills them.  Such things are not as the human mind wills them; they are not as the human mind desires.

Staring at the object, one's vision has been cast across all of time, their senses across all that is; all matter, time, energy and thought in the universe have been focused within this material.  It was the key, the answer, the Truth which the human mind was never meant to comprehend, yet through this, all things have been made possible.  Everything, nothing, infinty-- such absolute concepts were once laughably simple, yet now one's mind would be stretched to its very limits in order find more joy in something as simple as breathing.  Beyond the borders of the universe, outside the confines of space and time, behind the fabric of existence itself, true understanding and awareness, true knowledge and truth, true desires and true destiny--such things are as God wills them, they are not as the human mind desires.

One has become a step below God Himself, considering they way they desire things to be and they have changed.  All is now as it should be; all is as it was.

One never comes across a meteor that has apparently crash-landed in a park.  There is no glowing beacon of enlightenment, no physical remnants of What Came Before.  If there were such a substance as the legendary Philosopher's Stone, it would not bring the human mind enlightenment.  One's vision is, and always has been, only able to see the present moment, their senses defining the boundaries of their own personal universe.  One will never become a step below God Himself; all is as it should be, all is as it was.
"I will give you the world..." The Pen That Is Mightier: D'autre Personnes Vit (Likes & Dislikes)
Le Ons & Offs pour Les Man.
Just a taste: The Philosopher and the Stone (Writing Sample)

Les Man

Thanks to Elliquiy's application process, and Kazyth's question specifically, I was inspired to write this.

I hope to humbly share this with you.  Please feel free to comment, as this piece of writing is finished.
"I will give you the world..." The Pen That Is Mightier: D'autre Personnes Vit (Likes & Dislikes)

Styx26

I wish I could say something intelligent but all I can think is... wow.

That is incredibly deep and thought provoking; for some reason I keep thinking of advice I was given years ago; 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'. Simple, but effectively the same philosophy that may be taught from this. It is very well written, indeed.
Ons and Offs
RP Ideas, Characters
A/A's
Patience is a virtue... it's a good thing I'm trying to be more virtuous! ^^
Quote from: Wolfling72 on December 06, 2013, 06:23:12 PM
Do NOT encourage the Padawan!

Les Man

Thank you very much Styx26 and welcome to Elliquiy!

I'm glad to hear you say that, because like alot of creative people, I could sit here all day and nit-pick minor, little inconsequential flaws with it and talk about "rewriting it one day," so thank you, that was much appreciated.

And by the way, I hope you're enjoying the application process.  Try the word games and other such threads they have in the Forums Games/Socializing board, alot of them are quite fun, especially "Write a story 2 words at a time."

Enjoy and good luck on your approval.