{~*Corner Sweets*~}

Started by Spa O o fey, October 15, 2008, 12:21:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avis habilis

Dave's eyes flicked back to Aoi at that. He scrutinized her momentarily, but there was no sign in the girl's face that her question was anything but honest. He nodded and gave a small laugh.

"Sister, wouldn't I like to know." He pointed toward Corner Sweets' door. "When I came through that door, it surprised me as much as anybody. See, that's not the door I opened." Dave paused, searching for the right way to phrase his explanation. "I'm pretty sure this isn't even the world I opened it in. I know it isn't the one I thought yesterday.

"I didn't leave where I was on purpose. I think I triggered a trap. I'm betting it was supposed to knock me out of frame to drift in the brane until my anam dissipated forever. But for some reason, it dropped me here."

He gestured toward Aoi's seal, respectfully refraining from actually touching it. "And I think this might have had something to do with it."

XxUnDeAdMiStReSsXx

Aoi listened with a somber expression, she understood what he had went through. She could guess about his confusion. "Why don't we get you something to eat while we talk?" She said, grabbing a cup of hot chocolate for herself and a cup of coffee for Dave. They sat at the counter, facing each other. "You are the first to come here since I left. I guess, I've been hoping to catch others before they were lost forever." She looked down at her cup, thinking about her travels to get here and what it must have been like for him.

Avis habilis

"Yes, please," Dave replied. "I wasn't expecting this trip, so I left home with nothing but what was in my pockets. They're sure not gonna take gnome tetras at the supermarket."

He dabbed at the mess he had made on the counter, and took another pull from his coffee.

"Tell me about the others. Were they Keepers too? Nobody's gone missing recently. Well, that I know of."

XxUnDeAdMiStReSsXx

Aoi shrugged, "I've been keeping an eye out for anyone and you are the first one that I've come across." She looked out into the courtyard. "Yes, there were others who were Keepers. Before I was able to devise a system to catch them. Besides, that was years ago. Nobody has been sent this direction recently. Tell me, what did you do to get sent here?" She looked at him curiously.

Avis habilis

"Wait, what?" Dave blinked a dozen times in rapid succession. "They were ... do we even mean the same thing?" He rubbed his eyes with the heels of his palms, then dragged his fingers through his already tangled hair.

"This is my own damn fault, trying to be all cagey. I think I'd better explain myself.

"I'm from here. I think. This world, I mean. But about fifteen years ago, my friend and I ended up someplace else. An alternate timeline, a parallel universe, we're still not sure which. Somewhere the rules are a lot different, anyway. Syll ... well, that's his name now. Here it was Eddie...

"Anyway, Syll was a physicist here. Over there he's literally a wizard, magic spells and all. And I'm a Keeper. See, in our part of the world, there are eight nations that share a common religion and set of civil and criminal laws. The people who hear cases, render judgments, make the laws, they're called the Judges. Then there are the Keepers. We collect evidence for hearings, bring back fugitives, help the local authorities investigate crime." He chuckled at his own words. "We sound like freakin' Mounties when I put it like that."

Dave picked up his seal. "Each Keeper has certain skills. In my case, things like psychometry, node tapping, small unit tactics." He pointed to each sign in turn. "That's how I drew this case. There were rumors a fiend summoner was operating in Syll's city. He and a mutual friend of ours, FĂ©lice Sevensisters, helped me look into it. The information was right on the money. He was trying to bring over something ... bad." At that Dave's face darkened and he shut his eyes for a moment, clamping his lips as if fighting back a wave of nausea. Then he continued.

"Anyway. We made sure he couldn't deliver the sacrifice his patrons wanted. It turned out badly for him. But even after he was gone, we needed to make sure his house was safe. Couldn't take the chance that there was some little imp hiding in a dark corner waiting for a chance to run amok as soon as our backs were turned. We were searching the cellars when I went to open a door. Just a door, like two dozen others we had already tested and opened. We had cleared a few rot runes. This one didn't show any signs at all. But as soon as I put my hand on the handle ... here I was."

Dave took another long swig of coffee.

"I think it was a half gate. An opening that didn't lead anywhere. Like I say, it should have dropped me into the space between universes. I would have floated aimlessly until my soul fell apart." And here he pointed to Aoi's seal again. "Would have, if not for that. There's some connection between these, and I think it saved my life. Hell, all my lives."

XxUnDeAdMiStReSsXx

Aoi listened, memories coming back to her in a flood. The murder, the Judges, the Keepers, the panic. She didn't know how long it had been since then. She laughed softly, "I think time has changed a lot since I left there. Years ago, I wished to see my mother. I picked up this token," indicating her own token, "and simply wished to be there. My mother was a powerful witch, her husband was equally as powerful. We lived in a huge mansion and they helped with court rulings and threw many parties. I grew up there, learning my powers. One day, I came home to find them both murdered and the Keepers told me that I had done it. I couldn't believe it, so I ran. I blindly threw out my magic and came back to this world. So much had changed in the nearly 20 years since I had been here." She took a breath. "That was almost 5 years ago, I think. I realized how dangerous it had been for me to be able to come back here. So, instead of waiting around for them to come for me. I devised a system to catch anyone inexperienced enough or taken by surprise to fall without direction."

Avis habilis

Dave studied Aoi as she spoke, listening intently and watching every change of expression. His brow furrowed at the mention of her parents, then his eyes widened. When she finished, he let out a long breath and sat silent for some time with a look of strangely grim sympathy.

"God damn," he said finally. "The Hikari case. I heard about it. Heard talk about the scene." He shook his head. "I'm sorry you had to see that."

"For what it's worth," he added, "I'm convinced you didn't do it. If you've got half the skills they say your mother had, you could have blown me to dust as soon as I showed the seal. But you set a harmless snare, even not knowing who might fall into it. No, you're no murderer."

It was Dave's turn to chuckle. "Ain't we a pair. A Keeper who stumbles onto one of the thirteen most wanted by accident, and a fugitive who saves the people chasing her."

XxUnDeAdMiStReSsXx

Aoi let out a small sigh, "Thanks" she whispered. "I guess we do make a weird pair. But I couldn't just let people wander around aimlessly. Besides, now you're on my ground." She giggled, relieved that he wasn't going to arrest her or attack her.

Avis habilis

"I am that," Dave agreed. "And glad to be, considering the alternative." He picked up his seal and slipped it back into his pocket, then rested his elbows on the counter, arms folded.

"So now the question is how do I get back home, and what am I gonna tell them when I get there?" He shook his head. "I'll have to speak before the Moot. I sure don't want to see anybody else trying to find you. So it seems to me..."

He lifted his gaze to Aoi. "The only thing to do is clear your name first."

bladeoftheisles

*Dean made his way quietly into the room his ice blue eyes scanning the faces within. The sound of his heavy combat boots seemed to ricochet off the walls along with the light clinking of his dog tags. The dog tags were hidden under his dark grey t-shirt to remind him of the things he had done in his many years in the service. It was obvious by his appearance that he was a trained soldier. His hair was cut short and he maintained a rigid posture. All signs of a trainer fighter. His battle hardened body had few scars visible that were warning signs to anyone who had some sort of quarrel with him. He was no pushover, and it was obvious just by looking at him. Moving deeper into the room, he found a seat.*
     Good evening everyone, how are you all today? *his deep British accent making his words sound like music to the ears of all in the room.*

Avis habilis

Before the first tinkle of the bells above the door had faded, Dave's expression had changed from one of avuncular concern to caffeinated bonhommie. He put down his cup and flung up both hands in a gesture of exaggerated astonishment.

"So Zeke says, 'Yeah, I thought he was nuts until I found out he was Jesus. Then I though he was OK.' And Ella's eyes go all wide and she says, 'He was Jesus?!'. And Pete says, 'Oh, that must have been when you went to the washroom.'"

Dave snerked a couple of times, then turned to look over his shoulder at Dean. "Hey man, how's it goin'?"

XxUnDeAdMiStReSsXx

Aoi quietly replaced her token as well. "Yes, I must send you back and clear my name. But I won't return there unless I am fully cleared." She was about to say more when the tinkle of bells alerted her to another customer. She briefly glanced at him and returned to Dave. "I'll be right back." She said, walking up to the newcomer. "Welcome to Corner Sweets, I'm Aoi. What may I get you?" She said in her sweetest tone.

bladeoftheisles

*He bowed his head slightly to Avis.* i'm well, how about you?
*Hearing the voice of the woman welcoming him and asking what he wanted, he turned to face her.* Could i just get bottle of ale? it doesn't matter what kind, whatever you've got. *His ice blue eyes looked into her's as he extended his hand.* my name is Dean by the way, it's very nice to meet you aoi. do you get very many costumers in here?

XxUnDeAdMiStReSsXx

Aoi looked a bit startled. "I'm not sure if we have ale... How about a cup of coffee or tea or hot cocoa instead?" She shook his hand lightly. "We get a couple of regulars and the occasional visitor. What brings you to our small confectionary store?" Her light old-English accent soothing.

bladeoftheisles

*he smiled as he took her hand and kissed it softly* the pleasure is all mine my dear. *He handsome British accent was gentle and almost hypnotic. he smiled at her handsomely. his rugged appearance completely fooled people because his personality was completely unexpected.* i'll have a cup of earl gray, with some lemon, the way it was meant to be. *he winked* i love your accent by the way.

XxUnDeAdMiStReSsXx

Aoi dipped a curtesy and turned back to get a pot of water boiling. "What are you doing here, sir?" She asked over her shoulder, grabbing her errant kitten and telling it to settle down on the counter.

bladeoftheisles

*he smiles as he watched her place her kitten on the counter and he reaches over to pet it* i was just passing through, so i figured i would see if there was anything to do in here. it's a very nice place. how long have you worked here? *he seemed to have a way with animals as the pet nudged his hand with it's head*

XxUnDeAdMiStReSsXx

Aoi looked startled that Sugar would like Dean. "Please be careful, she is only sugar after all. And I don't truly work here, I just help out." She grabbed the pot, and poured the tea adding a lemon wedge to the side of the saucer. "Anything to eat? We have anything that contains sugar or chocolate."

bladeoftheisles

*He smiled as he reached out to take the tea before softly squeezing the lemon to let the juices drip into the cup.* hm.... do you have any ginger snaps with orange jelly? *Taking a sip of the tea, he looked up to her.* mmm tastes great.

XxUnDeAdMiStReSsXx

Aoi turned and went back to the display case pulling out some ginger snaps and adding the orange jelly. She brought it back to him, "Thank you sir." She said, dipping a curtsy.

bladeoftheisles

*Reaching out, he grabbed one of the ginger snaps and takes a bite savoring the flavor.* mmm everything here tastes amazing. how much do i owe you my dear? *he reached back to grab his wallet*

XxUnDeAdMiStReSsXx

Aoi thought for a moment. "$3.50 sir." She said, her voice suddenly quieter and a bit thicker, she always got nervous about the money part. It just wasn't her.

bladeoftheisles

*He looked through his wallet and found a 5 dollar bill before pulling it out and handing it to her.* here you go, keep the rest as a tip. *he puts his wallet away before taking another sip of his tea.* so what brings you to this place?

XxUnDeAdMiStReSsXx

Aoi makes the change and slides the change into the tip jar. "I usually come here to socialize and help out where I can. Tell me, what do you do by chance?"

bladeoftheisles

*his expression changed to a more serious one on the mention of what he did.* i used to work for the SAS.... however, i'm out of that now. i only had my two brothers.... both were in the unit... both killed due to someone on the inside leaking information that sabotaged our mission. *he looked up to her.* now i'm merely a hired gun hoping to find out what i can, and killing those who i know deserve it, not who the British government deems is a threat. But forgive me, i seem to have rambled on abit....