News:

Main Menu

So, how large is it?

Started by Lilias, December 26, 2012, 05:14:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Z488411

Very impressive.

I just got 40000, but as a second language I'm still quite proud.

DeadCell

I am actually quite pleased :)

Your total vocabulary size is estimated to be: 25,300 words

ONS AND OFFS / Click Me For Story Ideas /
What is the colour of night?

Ember Star

"One thing you who had secure or happy childhoods should understand about those of us who did not, we who control our feelings, who avoid conflicts at all costs or seem to seek them, who are hypersensitive, self-critical, compulsive, workaholic, and above all survivors, we're not that way from perversity. And we cannot just relax and let it go. We've learned to cope in ways you never had to." ~Author, Piers Anthony

Mossberg

"I killed the whole world, and you can too, if you try hard."
-Lews Therin Telamon

MHaji

40,100. I tried to only pick words where I could actually say an accurate definition aloud, and checked when I was uncertain that the definition was precise enough for my taste. Words that threw me included williwaw and cantle.
Ons and offs, in song form.

-

AUCUUCUACGAACGUGAAGCUGACACUCAUAUUAGUCCCAUGAUGGAA

Mikem

Quote from: Mikem on July 27, 2014, 05:06:13 AM
Estimated 20,100 words.

Well aren't I just at the bottom of the native speakers ladder.

New estimate of 23,000 words. I gained 2,900!   ;D
"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions. So why not take the scenic route?"

My Ons & Offs

Sir Percival the Gallant

'Your total vocabulary size is estimated to be: 39,200 words.'

Not bad—I thought I'd have scored less. It certainly helps to know Latin and Greek, as well as another modern European language, especially French (which I do, plus a smattering of Italian). But even then, English writers have long obsessed over verbal precision, and knowing these languages does not always clarify, or even point to, the meaning of all the English words we have borrowed from them. Our wordstock is so huge and diverse, especially considering all the jargon, that there is nothing of it but to have a dictionary close to hand to learn the meaning, and likely the pronunciation, too. Many other languages are more content to assign a specific technical sense to a word that has long been familiar, whereas English often prefers to borrow a foreign word or construct one from Classical roots. Though I especially love Old English/Anglo-Saxon for aesthetic reasons, I really wish sometimes that English had evolved more like German (or even more extreme, like Icelandic), with a retention of much of the native vocabulary, and a reliance on native roots to construct longer, more complicated words (or multiple words). Spelling would be much easier, grammar would probably be more consistent, and it would be easier to learn more complicated words since they'd derive from native shorter words and affixes. Of course, there would be no Chaucer, Shakespeare, Milton or any of the other greats as we know them, but I'd still prefer it.

A word of comfort and encouragement, too, to those dissatisfied with the size of their vocabularies: a large vocabulary is no guarantee of being a skilful writer, though it certainly can help. On good writing, H.W. Fowler remarks in Modern English Usage in 'Love of the Long Word' that, 'It is a general truth that the short words are not only handier to use, but more powerful in effect; extra syllables reduce, not increase, vigour. This is particularly so in English where the native words are short and the long words are foreign,' and, 'Good English does consist in the main of short words.' Now, I'm guilty, as many others are, of waxing pedantic, but as the years have passed, I've come to appreciate simpler writing. Much of that opinion was my experience in the academic world. Simple language allows a writer to connect a genuine level with a reader and establish trust. Loading diction with polysyllabic monstrosities and foreign vogues creates what feels like veil after veil of disconnexion. At extremes, it's an author's descent into solipsism. A doubting writer can easily hide behind such diction when others offer criticism.

So, sure, learn those weird words if you like (I enjoy it, just because they're exotic), but trust in the everyday. It will serve you well.

Aethereal

Estimated 36,700 words. Higher than I thought, given that English is my third language. (Several of those words were of the kind I had literally only encountered once and looked up ... luckily, I've a good memory.)

Verina

Hmm... 33,600
Bigger then I expected, but some of those words just didn't look like English, or modern English anyway.

persephone325

Wow... I...feel so uneducated compared to everyone else.

I only got 20,200... I think some words I didn't check off because I didn't know how to pronounce them when I saw them. But I bet if someone read them off to me, I'd be able to check off more.
This doesn't have to end in a fight, Buck.
It always ends in a fight.
You pulled me from the river. Why?
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

FionaM

Celestial_Majestic

That last column surely had some made up words in it XD
"With the thirty-seven keys of Tzeentch, we open the way for our brothers. With the thousand whispers of Slaanesh, we call to them. With the twelve plagues of Nurgle, we fell their enemies. And with the mighty axe of Khorne, we cut open the world for them."

Celestial's O/Os

Mirberry

this actually surprises me just a touch, I had no idea I had that large a vocabulary spectrum honestly

Christine

The fact that I know most of the hard words, yet can't use them properly in normal language tells me so much about the uselessness of standardized tests I had to cram these for.

Yarnover

30,200. I'm really surprised to get such a high number!
O/Os ~ ~ A/As

Leki

Looked at the first page and though "This is easy"
Got to the second page... and... Oh dear me xD
21,400 words, so I guess it's not abysmal, but kind of sad compared to what others here have gotten.
I guess that's what happens when you stop reading at 15 >_<

But yeah, third column... I felt like I was reading a list of foreign words xD

Firethem

27 000

There were many french roots in some of those words, which helped. I found it funny when the test told me that as a second language, most people know around 2500-9000 words. I guess video games sure helped me a lot XD

theLeslie

I got 33,400 words, but I feel like I cheated.  Many of these words I only knew because of role playing games.

Neat test, though.  I thought it was easy till the last page, then I was pretty sure none of those were real words.

AmberStarfire

Quote from: AmberStarfire on January 05, 2015, 05:36:21 PM
words

It's been quite a while since I last took the test so I figured I would again and see if there had been any change.

This time I got 31,200 words, so a bit better this time.

SoldadoM

Kuroneko

My link isn't working either, but I also got 44,700.
Ons & Offs//Requests//Where is the Black Cat?
Current Posting Time - Once a Week or More

"One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art" ~ Oscar Wilde
"I dream of painting and then I paint my dream" ~ Vincent Van Gogh

Zenkai

36,600. Not bad considering English is my 3rd languague  ;D I guess knowing some pig latin helped.

Harper Agent

Datsun

30,900. Some of the words in the third column I've never even heard spoken let alone understand! Fun little quiz though.

Nnaasttey

...19.8 k....man I'm stupid.
Nnaasttey in a nutshell :

My favorite kinks, what else i like and what i don't

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=240005.0