What will you never play again?

Started by Inkidu, August 25, 2009, 06:07:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leo

Quote from: Sel Nar on July 28, 2010, 12:49:13 PM
Nope. I loved it, and even replayed it last week for fun.

Most rage i have against games I won't play again is because something was 'missing' from the game; be it a sense of fun, a character (or characters) that were engaging and added to the storyline, or even a coherent storyline (even if it's as simple as 'you are on a base on Phobos, and all your troops are dead. Go out there and Kick some ass, marine!')

Look at My Comment about MGS2; Mechanically, it's a good game. But the storyline was gutted, and the final battle's cutscenes were so disjointed and WTF-inducing that it killed all possible enjoyment of the game in regards to a replay. The fact that the final cutscene was butchered to Hide the fact that an arsenal gear rammed Manhattan island and knocked over a few dozen buildings, shortly after 9/11 occured was just icing on the cake of disappointment.

Grand Theft Auto, also mechanically, was a good game, barring some wonky car physics. But, at the end of the day, It just felt like a slog. Like you're up to your knees in a swamp of 'do this', and if you pause for a moment, you sink deeper. I play games to relax, not to push the Sisyphean boulder up the hill.

MGS2 : Replay value is arguable. I only beat it twice and the second time was because I was on holiday with no money and nothing better to do. I also hate Raiden in MGS2. But I prefer to think that being a MGS fan is something entirely different than being a gamer. It was a darker part of the story and one that was difficult to perfect; Kojima had to expand on the world of MGS and explain what the Patriots are, what they are doing, go deeper in the Revolver Ocelot character etc. etc. and that meant going beyond Solid Snake. In the end the game leaves you with more questions than answers, which is exactly what one should expect from a #2 of anything. No more, no less.

MGS4 : Kojima said it himself that the game did not feel complete to him. Regardless, it was a true Metal Gear Solid masterpiece, but it was not entirely a game. The whole series started with Solid Snake and it had come full circle to Solid Snake in its ending, every loose end was being tied up(and I think we can agree on the fact that MGS had more loose ends in its story than the number of cat videos on Youtube). To do that in a single game and to do it in Metal Gear Solid style, it had to be more of a [very] long movie than a game. I'd lost count of how many nerdgasms I had by the time I'd reached the final act. I was actually wishing cutscenes wouldn't end at some point.

GTA : The road to story completion in every GTA title including and after GTA3 can become a swamp as you describe it. Especially in GTA4, being punished in the friends aspect of the game because you wanted to have fun with some Grand Theft Auto is ridicilous. I uninstalled the game when I realized I have to choose between having fun in the game or taking Niko's friends and lovers out. But that was after I completed the story, at least. It's like, I'm going on my way to stealing a chopper and terrorizing the town until I get killed and one of Niko's friends calls and I have to decline the offer due to what I want to do in the game. In return I get punished with an angry friend in a game named Grand Theft Auto. But that's only GTA4 and you could always achive fun in it without having Niko's friends adoring him. Other GTA titles... well, I find them to be a lot of fun. Especially San Andreas was grand, it had next to no logic in any aspect and that was the most fun part of the game. The whole game was a spoof to 90s' movies, if you ask me.

But, as you adequately put, you know what you like and what you don't like. I'm a 20 year gaming veteran myself and I return to games made of squares more than I return to ones with pretty graphics too... but some of the things you didn't like about a couple of games kind of sounds like picking every piece of them apart to find something not to like... if you don't mind me saying so.
I'm not new. I just... lurk...

Literal Chaos

Anything Blizzard.  World of Warcraft, Starcraft, Diablo, all of it.  I have an irrational and likely pointless hatred of them.

Any Final Fantasy game that's not VI or lower... with possible exception for IX.  Yoshitaka Amano!

And, uh... I know I hate something else, I simply cannot recall what it is...
Did I say irregular?  I apparently meant nonexistent.  Well, I'm back!  Newly improved with a 600% increase in stability!*
The Method of the Madness

*this statement has not been evaluated by the food and drug administration
*six-hundred percent of zero is still zero

Drake Nightwing

Mortal Kombat, or any sequels thereof.

Kinda like what Sel Nar said earlier, the not only do I hate the Mortal Kombat series for its cheap difficulty but the fact that the game itself was gratuitous with its over-the-top violence. Looking back on it now, yeah, the amount of blood and gore it streams out is ridiculous, but its still disturbing to me.

My primary reason for not playing it again though? Damn game give me nightmares, of all things. Of course, you have to realize that the very first time I started playing this I was six years old, and I loved the fighting game at first! Beatin' people up, seeing the blood spray everywhere, and then--

Hey, whoa, what's this! I'm losing! I'm gettin' my butt kicked here! No! No! THIS ISN'T FAIR! Why isn't my guy able to do anything! My enemy is able to hit me right out of my attacks before I can even hit him! He's beating me! And then, not only did I get very soundly trashed, upon my first ever loss I also encounter my very ever fatality. Just my luck, it has to be Sub-Zero's spine rip.

I nearly dropped my controller at this. Surprised, a little shaken, I thought it was just my imagination at first. But then, no, turns out these "fatalities" are a core finisher in the gameplay. Each one of them practically more brutal than the last.  ...Now, at first, I wasn't too worried. I mean, it was just a game. Despite myself playing it rather late for me in the evening (my bedtime at the time was no later than 10:30). So I shut the game off, went to bed...

And for, like, the entire night and the night afterward I just kept dreaming I was in those fights. Not the characters, but me AGAINST the characters. And every time, I kept losing. Every time, they kept beating me because they were too strong, too quick, too smart. No matter what I tried to do, they either blocked or countered faster than I could even anticipate. And then, finally, when I could fight back no longer....they ended me in the most hideous possible fashion.

Not a fun thing for a six year old to experience. xD I was only borrowing the game from a friend, but it had went back after the second day.

Rented out Mortal Kombat 3: Ultimate from the local Farm Fresh about seven years later. Thought I was older, more mature, and that I could handle it at 13. ...Yeah, for the most part, I did. And then I still got nightmares from it. >XDD Went back the next day to exchange it for something else, and I've never played MK since.

Wyrd

Dragon Age: origins, or should I say "Warcraft of the Old Republic" .      Fuck you Bioware! Intead of working on a shitty sequel to this sad game, You should put all your effert in Mass Effect3
Ragtime Dandies!

Inkidu

Quote from: Wyrd on August 21, 2010, 04:31:54 PM
Dragon Age: origins, or should I say "Warcraft of the Old Republic" .      Fuck you Bioware! Intead of working on a shitty sequel to this sad game, You should put all your effert in Mass Effect3
Hey now. I know I'm not the best monitor of my threads but as adults this shouldn't be a problem try to keep your hate to rational points within the game and not just slurring it.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Geeklet

What will I never play again? Alpha Protocol.

The story and plot, and how it can change based on your decisions, shows wonderful promise. But the gameplay.. oh god the gameplay. Even in cover, you can still get hit way to easy. And im not talking because someone flanked you. Stealth is iffy at best until you start to get high ranks in it. But you better not rely on it... because the bossfights? That's the game's way of pointing and laughing at you if you went all stealth with no gun skills. Yes, you need gun skills. Melee is cool and all, but its only useful for taking down single enemies. Otherwise, you get riddled full of holes. Multiple ways to play through the game? Stealth, or go in guns blazing? Mix of the two? Yeah right. It goads you into thinking that, until you get into situations where you HAVE to have a firefight.

The minigames? Bypassing is easy enough. Lockpicking is super easy, at least on the PC version. not sure about consoles. But the hacking... my god I hate hacking with a passion.

The load times. Spawning enemies as you progress is fine and all, but every time they load up, the game hangs for a couple seconds, and next thing I know, I'm pointed either backwards, or up at the ceiling. A config file tweak helped some, but it still happened. And the Clearinghouse. Beginning of the game its fine. But towards the end... when the game freezes for 20+ seconds to load it, and at least another 5-10 when changing categories.... why? Its a shop. Some text, and some graphics. No complex animations, no complex calculations.... so why is it taking forever?

So yeah, like I said.. the story aspects of the game has loads of promise... but having to slug through gameplay like that to see how it turns out... More like a chore than a game.

Dunnuck

Whoever said Final Fantasy X....*shakes fist at you* its my favorite game. im trying not to rage. woosa....

Regret buying? Mafia II...its not bad, dont get me wrong, it is good. But there is no replay value or side missions

Uh...what else. Two Worlds...dont get me started. Just dont.

Inkidu

I remember Mafia 1 and I'm not going to play 2 if it's in anyway similar.

All I remember from Mafia 1 is that when I was doing a melee beat-em-up mission the controls were so complex I said fuck it. Literally. Seriously I don't remember the particulars but you had to hit like three buttons before you could throw a punch and then there was no guarantee it would connect.

L.A. Noir for the win. I can't wait for that one to come out.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Dunnuck

YES LA NOIR and its epic technology

Mafia II's melee is simple. A heavy hit button, light hit button, and dodge button

Wolfy

Quote from: Dunnuck on August 26, 2010, 05:40:16 AM
Whoever said Final Fantasy X....*shakes fist at you* its my favorite game. im trying not to rage. woosa....

Regret buying? Mafia II...its not bad, dont get me wrong, it is good. But there is no replay value or side missions

Uh...what else. Two Worlds...dont get me started. Just dont.

Two Worlds has a sequel on the way.

Yes, that Shitty LOTR rip-off managed to get a sequel somehow.

I can only imagine what that meeting must have been like.

Inkidu

Quote from: Wolfy on August 26, 2010, 12:35:23 PM

Well apparently it had a smidgen of cult following and they're saying that they're working out the atrocious mechanical errors from the first game.

It's kind of not fair calling it a LotR rip off. Anything with an elf in it is a LotR rip off...
Besides LotoR's just a rip off of Epics and Heroes Tales... but who's keeping score.

Oniya

Quote from: Wolfy on August 26, 2010, 12:35:23 PM

Wait, there was a Shannara RPG?  (j/k)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Nyarly

Quote from: Oniya on August 29, 2010, 04:12:33 PM
Wait, there was a Shannara RPG?  (j/k)
I only know of an adventure/RPG hybrid that had an original story ("original" as in, not directly based on a particular book).

Yes, I'm aware that that was actually a take that against Shannara. I just wanted to be a smart ass.

Oniya

That's okay - I was being a smart ass, too.  ;D
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Sabby

Hey, Two Worlds 2 looks pretty decent.

Lypiphera

Spore... :( The game held so much promise but without a good mutliplayer element to it was just another minigame parceled up to be the next big thing... *disappointed!*

Inkidu

Quote from: Lypiphera on August 30, 2010, 07:49:07 PM
Spore... :( The game held so much promise but without a good mutliplayer element to it was just another minigame parceled up to be the next big thing... *disappointed!*
Yeah, I'm glad I got to play it on a friend's PC before I actually bought it. It's good for maybe a few hours but then it gets to be all the same.

Inkidu

I know it's a board game but still. Never playing Stratego again. Never. It's totally biased against the defensive player. It supports no other strategies but the defensive.

Paradox

Quote from: Inkidu on September 12, 2010, 03:20:35 PM
I know it's a board game but still. Never playing Stratego again. Never. It's totally biased against the defensive player. It supports no other strategies but the defensive.

Heh, that's a pretty good point, but it's still a damned good game when you don't feel going into full-on Risk mode.

"More than ever, the creation of the ridiculous is almost impossible because of the competition it receives from reality."-Robert A. Baker

Stan'

A Halo game.

They are mince.  Yet as soon as a new one comes out, all the reviewers (most game websites like GameSpot are pro-360) have an orgasm during the first minute of playing, regardless if it's a generic, mediocre shooter or not.

Inkidu

I'm probably never playing Munchkin again (The original). At least not with my normal buddies. They orgasm over wizards. Which are the most unfair class in the game. Not even cleric divine intervention spam is as bad a a wizard's freaking charm spell. It totally feeds itself. Playtesting my ass...

Kytn

Infinite Discovery. I bought it (used) and returned it on the same day. Totally enthused.
Updates coming soon!

Inkidu

Quote from: Kytn on September 16, 2010, 09:53:26 PM
Infinite Discovery. I bought it (used) and returned it on the same day. Totally enthused.
Stay away from Last Remnant too. Both are totally lame and a testament to Square-Enix's darker, crappier side the fans seem to ignore. I got both of them one for my brother for Christmas and we both thought they were so bad they didn't last through February.

Kytn

Quote from: Inkidu on September 17, 2010, 03:43:32 PM
Stay away from Last Remnant too. Both are totally lame and a testament to Square-Enix's darker, crappier side the fans seem to ignore. I got both of them one for my brother for Christmas and we both thought they were so bad they didn't last through February.
I will so keep that in mind. D= I've been having trouble finding a good RPG lately, and it's rather depressing. Granted I'm not looking super hard, but still...

*curls up with her Pokemon*
Updates coming soon!

Wolfy

Quote from: Kytn on September 17, 2010, 08:54:37 PM
I will so keep that in mind. D= I've been having trouble finding a good RPG lately, and it's rather depressing. Granted I'm not looking super hard, but still...

*curls up with her Pokemon*

Tales of Vesperia...or any Tales game, really. Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon, too...which were directed by the same guy that directed Final Fantasy 1-9 before he left square.