FULL FOR NOW! Catgirls and Blasters--Space Opera Powered by the Apocalypse

Started by MadPanda, April 30, 2017, 02:08:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadPanda

Thumbnail: Naughty catgirls with a third-hand starship running amok in a space-opera sandbox in search of profit, amusement, and grimsical hijinks.

Why catgirls, mate?
Because some things are just more fun when done with cute perv-bait blaster-toting badass little kittens in Firefly and Star Wars cosplay.

Do I have to play a catgirl?
No.  Puppygirls, bunnygirls, foxgirls, mousegirls, and tanukigirls are also acceptable, as are ordinary humans, space elves, and the equivalent of Zeltronians.  It's an artistic choice, not a mechanical one.

Basic Asks:
3-5 steady players.  I'd like to see a minimum of one IC post per week per player to keep things moving nicely.
Creative collaboration encouraged!   Players have a lot of latitude to fill in the gaps and build the setting.  Use it!
Friendly and open game. We're here to have fun, and we're all responsible for the process.  So no secret conferences with the ref, please!  (There are some exceptions.)
Questions!  I expect there to be plenty while we all get used to the rules--if it doesn't make sense, ask.  If the answer doesn't make sense, ask more (I am not always as clear as I think I am).  Just please don't JAQ off like a troll.

System:
Uncharted Worlds (PbtA Space Opera)
Additional material from the first supplement, Far Beyond Humanity, may be used if you don't mind beta-test stuff that might be retconned when the official publication happens.
Voluptas ailuri fulgentis decretum est!
Omnis nimis, temperantia ob coenobitae.
(Jes, tiuj frazoj estas malĝustaj. Pandoj fakte ne komprenas la latinan!)

One on Ones Suggestion Box
Group Game Suggestion Box
Pandariffic Ons and Otherwise
In Memory of Bishrook

Ty

Sounds fun. Interested, but probably won't buy the book until it's actually got to critical mass of folks.

EDIT : Also, while probably off-brand, I'm suddenly imagining Kaylee as a Yakgirl.

MadPanda

I may have cobbled together bits and pieces out of the main rules for the use of my tabletop group, none of whom are eager to invest in Yet Another Rulebook.  :-)  Which will have to be expanded when Far Beyond Humanity is released, but them's the breaks.

But here's a link to the downloads page which has (among other things) the sample characters.

http://uncharted-worlds.com/indexdownloads.html

In Memory of Bishrook

jeflint

MP, you can count on me, and you know which little fur I'd love to introduce to firefly. :)

Pretty sure I've mentioned it once or twice... Would love to finally play a dragon girl.

Thinking engineer... or medic. :)

Jan's General Info, The F-List , On’s & Offs, absenteeism & BB Color Codes

MadPanda

Firefly-esque, most definitely.  Very hot.  Smmmmmmoking! (/The Mask)

Characters choose two 'career' categories and one 'origin'...so it is entirely possible that you could be both an engineer AND a medic.  ;D  An Academic Industrial character, for example, would have access to both Surgery and Tinker.  (Use of first aid is covered by a basic move called Patch Up that anyone can use.)

In Memory of Bishrook

Bibliophilia

-perks.-  I'm currently in a weird 'need to play an anthro' mood....and space cowboys are always up my alley.

Are you thinking more of the anthro-style animal girls, or the anime 'mimi' style, like you mention in the first post?

MadPanda

Yes.  As in either is good.  ;D  While what was originally in my noggin was your bog standard anime-style catgirl (ie human with ears and tail) there is absolutely  no reason why you can't play a full blown furry (or, in jeflint's case, a Scaly).

In Memory of Bishrook

Bibliophilia

-bounces around.-  Yaaay!  I just recently posted a picture I wanna play.

MadPanda

Whelp, that's three...I'll have to start cobbling this baby together soonish.  And maybe take my summary document and break it into smaller bits instead of it's current ample glory.  Or I'll just print a chapter or two out of the pdf as reference.  :D

In Memory of Bishrook

Chulanowa

MadPanda

In Memory of Bishrook

Bibliophilia

I think I'm gonna go with her.  Name her Kiko.  Make her an engineer or something.

MadPanda

Nice!

For a little discussion in the meantime, this game has things called Factions...the overarching resource-controlling power blocs of the sector...and the number of the Factions you'll be dealing with is important.

2-3 Factions gives us a game more like Star Wars--side A, side B, and maybe side C hanging off to one side and taking advantage now and again while the other two are going at it hammer and tongs.  Simple, straightforward, black-and-white hats.  Sooner or later, the PCs will be 'encouraged' to pick a side.

4-5 Factions is a little more peaceful, but no less tense.  The first among them to start something may get dogpiled by the others in spite of any alliances they've made, and so nobody wants to throw that first punch.  There's more room for the PCs to be independent, or at least sympathetic to different groups.

6 or more?  Complex and political, with the factions being correspondingly smaller and less likely to be able to pull off a galaxy-wide coup de main.  The PCs are quite likely to be independent.

This is a 'table' sort of decision, so let's open up the chat.  How many Factions shall we have?

In Memory of Bishrook

Knarfy

Godbound: Erry day I'm shillin' it
My O/O thread
Why isn't Knarfy posting? - probably because he is lazy
"The most iconic hentai is essentially Lovecraftian, in that it portrays sexual pleasure as beyond human comprehension, to which the only possible response is a descent into hedonistic madness." - Anonymous

jeflint

Quote from: Knarfy on May 03, 2017, 12:21:58 AM
Can I throw my bunny-ears into the ring? :3

Omg! Knrafy I get to potentially play with you again! Yeah! I've missed your Bunny butt!

Bibliophilia

I like the idea of a 4-5 faction game as a middle ground.  However, I'm open to whatever the majority wants.

Ty

4-5 factions seems good to me.  Allows for a bit more hijinx and trying to run away from problems or robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Probably need to hunt down images at somepoint for real inspiration, but mostly considering either a stoic second in command or a slightly eccentric pilot, depending on what fits. Sometimes cliches are fun! :)

EDIT : Though now I think of it, a stoic Zoe-type (Zoetrope? :P) that's a human slowly despairing of the nutty cat-girl crew is oddly tempting.

Muse

*Chuckles* 

Looks like i'm too late.  Let me know if you need 1-2 more, M.P. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

MadPanda

In Memory of Bishrook

Bibliophilia

I don't see my girl as 'nutty'.  She's going to be very much a cat, with attitude and wit.

Ty

Hah. Please don't feel I was demanding that people be nutty. Although my experience in RPGs suggests a habit of player characters to edge in that direction due to trying to find solutions to difficult problems with limited resources.

On the other hand that kind of protest is exactly what I could see makes some people shake their heads and swear about catgirls. :D

Bibliophilia

-giggles.-  I expect there will be a lot of different, big personalities.

jeflint

You know... If we have an engineer I think I'd focus on doctor.

I'd like to play my Lagomorph bunny. She suffered from Antrograde Amensia, think memento, but had her medical knowledge intact.

Think it could have some very interesting interaction with the crew. Thoughts, concerns?

Chulanowa

So worth asking. This is female-only? Would a space-trap be an option?

Knarfy

Hmmmm... Spacetrap...

I mean, I'm always a fan of having a little Weiner in the party... Heck, I might prefer a trap myself, though lady parts are fine too ;3

*Edit* oh, and I vote for 4+ factions. I like the independence and more complex politics.
Godbound: Erry day I'm shillin' it
My O/O thread
Why isn't Knarfy posting? - probably because he is lazy
"The most iconic hentai is essentially Lovecraftian, in that it portrays sexual pleasure as beyond human comprehension, to which the only possible response is a descent into hedonistic madness." - Anonymous