News:

Main Menu

FIFA World Cup

Started by MagicalPen, June 15, 2006, 10:54:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Apple of Eris

Well, according to some chart or other, it said sex only burned like 13 calories per somthing or other (not minutes, like half hor or hour). My first reaction was, did they test turtles? But hey, nothing wrong with sex as part of a good cool down routine :)
Men are those creatures with two legs and eight hands.  ~Jayne Mansfield
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, then call whatever you hit the target. ~Ashleigh Brilliant

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

kylie

I've seen giant turtles having sex. 

I didn't get a meter on them or anything, but it looked like a lot of work.  Lots of weight to keep elevated.

My internal calendar has been off all day...  I have to wait another day to see if Germany advances or Argentina buffs up the attack. 
Sigh...  Impatient.

MagicalPen

Germany will lose to Argentina. England has a shot against against Portugal  with those two Portugese suspensions. Italy will beat the Ukraine. The Brazil vs France game will probably be the most fun to watch if you ask me. For the Final, i think it will be Argentina vs whoever wins Brazil/France match. I cant see the Italians beating Argentina in the following round, unless they pay off the refs again, and England/Portugal winner wont beat the France/Brazil winner either.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Looking/Available for New Games

Apple of Eris

You hush! Germany can beat Argentina, but it should be a good game.
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, then call whatever you hit the target. ~Ashleigh Brilliant

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

Swedish Steel

If France stands a chance against Brazil I will be extremely suprised. True, Brazil hasn't really impressed, but when was the last time France was impressive? Brazil should be able to take them even with half their players sleeping on the field.
"Ah, no, not bukkake chef! Secret ingredient always same."

On Off page:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=5467.0

MagicalPen

I dont know about that- France played pretty well against Spain - i would have thought Spain would have won that game. As it was, their only goal came on a PK while all three of Frances were in play. True, i think France needs to make some changes (getting rid of Ribery for instance) and play a more fast-paced games to use the likes of Henry to their best ability (and he is always dangerous).

The Argentinians so far have been the most impressive, and the depth they have on their bench with the likes of Messi can prove costly to the opposing team late in the game.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Swedish Steel

I actually missed the France-Spain game. They were actually good? Unbelievable. :)

On Off page:

Apple of Eris

I thought spain looked better most of the game, but they coldn't finish. France capitalized on their chances unlike spain, and in the end, that's what matters. :)

But don't discount Germany. Argentina has a good team, true, but the Germans are young and an attacking squad. Also, if they can keep the ball up, their height gives them an advantage over Argentina. Should be a great game either way though.

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

MagicalPen

The Germans havent scored many goals with their heads this year, and their defence isnt anything special. It might be a fast paced game - attack and counterattack by both teams, but i still think Argentina will come out on top.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Apple of Eris

Their defense has been pretty good. They only gave up 2 goals total so far in the tournament, same as Argentina. Both teams scored a total of ten goals so far in the tournament (Arg got six against Serbia/Monte, Ger got 4 against Costa Rica). I'd say they're fairly evenly matched and this will come down to who can control the ball better, make less mistakes, and of course, some dumb luck.

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

MagicalPen

But Germany hasnt played a team worth-a-damn yet. Giving up 2 goals to a team like Costa Rica isnt something to be proud about either. I think those were the only 2 goals Costa Rica scored in the whole tournament. Germany will get a nice wake-up call against Argentina - Lehmann is going to have to compensate for their defense, though Klause and the Forwards will have their work cut out for them keeping up in scoring. I think it will be an interesting match, especially since Germany will have to rise to the occasion or face elimination.

One thing i find odd, is how good the host-country does every year. The only time England won the Cup was when they hosted it. The only time Mexico made it into the Quarter Finals was when they hosted it, Korea did extremely well too when they hosted.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Apple of Eris

Yes, but Germany trounced Sweden 2-0, while Argentina barely squeaked past a Mexico that as far as I could tell, didn't have much desire to play defense, ever. And as for Genmany's defenders, they have one of the best in Mertesacker, according to an article on the FIFA website, he's won 80% of one on one challenges, the best percentage in the tournament. That's pretty damn good.

And look at the other stats: As afr as cards, they're pretty much even (arg has had 3 more cards so far this tournament), tackles (GER 130, ARG 105). They're pretty evenly matched here.

I'd say, either way, its gonna be a great game. Can't wait till tomorrow and you have to eat yoru words!  ;)

EDIT: Had the wrong name there, duh!

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

Swedish Steel

Bah, trounced. I still maintain we could have given you a fight, even at 2-0,  if it hadn't been for that rather unfair red card. :)

On Off page:

Apple of Eris

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

Swedish Steel

Quiet you! I will have to punish you later.  :)

On Off page:

Apple of Eris

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

Swedish Steel

On Off page:

Apple of Eris

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSS!!!!!
GERMANY WINS!!!!

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

Swedish Steel

Congrats, sweetie. I didn't think they would do it actually. :)

On Off page:

kylie

I was starting to wonder. 

I gave both the German offense and the Argentine defense too little credit, at the beginning.

What was up with Argentina subbing out the biggest names?  Simple fatigue?  Desperate gamble?  I know the goalie sub was a big deal, but the ABC commentary kept lashing them for gutting their offense in the process of compensating.

kylie

Oh yeah... 

And whatever was the little scuffle at the end of the Argentina-Germany game about?

MagicalPen

Supposedly one of the Argentinian Subs stepped on one of the Germans, and they tried to intimidate one of the other Germans before he took the game winning PK making gestures that meant they were going to attack. So the assitant coach of Germany stepped in to avoid further conflict or something..

So how about my predictions of a great France/Brazil game? And lookie who scored the game winner - Thierry Henry! Pretty nice goal if you ask me, looks like the Brazilian defense forgot to pick up one of the most dangerous strikers in the world...

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Swedish Steel

Yeah, it was a great goal, and a suprising outcome. Makes me happy though, if Brazil had won gold again, it would've been a bit boring.
Only European teams left now. And Rooney should know it's not nice to step on a guys nuts, those are not the balls he should be concerned with. A well deserved red card.

On Off page:

Apple of Eris

Twoo good games, though I thought Portugal played pretty poorly for having a man up for so long.

Rooney is a tool. Good red card and I was happy to see him tossed.

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

RogueJedi

Rooney has always been a spoiled little hack.  Good riddance to him.  And good riddane to Sven!  Really, he should have done a lot more with his tactics.  English players are used to a 4-4-2, and so he decides to use a 4-5-1?  Idiot.

And why only 4 strikers?  You know someone could get hurt in the Cup...

But in all honesty, Ricardo deserves alot of credit for the Portugese win.  Saving three PKs is never easy.

I pick Germany over Italy and Portugal over France in the semis.  Germany over Portugal in the final.