Guardians of the Pharaoh (Closed)

Started by TheKhan, October 09, 2018, 09:40:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roleplay Frog

Quoteplot lines that PbPs never finish.

Is it better to aim high, but never succeed, or never aim high in the first place?

Considering this and the restriction to egyptian slave character backstories, I don't see myself getting inspired, will come back to ya if that changes, best of luck.

Bibliophilia

I think the episodic plan makes a lot of good sense.  It allows for the dropping of players and the introduction of new characters without the new players feeling as if they are jumping in at the middle of the story, and planning your game with the medium in mind is always smart.

Ixy

Would it inhibit play to have little/no experience with Planescape?  I think the idea sounds amazing, but I'd hate to be a drag or a liability just because of my ignorance to the setting itself.

Re Z L

Quote from: Ixy on October 17, 2018, 04:57:13 PM
Would it inhibit play to have little/no experience with Planescape?  I think the idea sounds amazing, but I'd hate to be a drag or a liability just because of my ignorance to the setting itself.

Theoretically none of the characters would likely have any real deep knowledge of Sigil (or the rest of the planes) outside of study maybe?  So even if you didn't know anything it shouldn't really matter since your character possibly/probably wouldn't know anything either.
A&A

TheKhan

Quote from: Ixy on October 17, 2018, 04:57:13 PM

As Re Z L said. I am 100% okay with introducing people to the weird flavour of awesome that is Planescape. That's actually one of the reasons I like having backgrounds tied to the Prime, it makes it easier to be inclusive of players new to the setting.

Bibliophilia

Still doing the crunch, but the fluff is there!

NSFW
Name: Aharon
Sex: Male
Race: Human
Class: Monk (Unchained)
Alignment: Lawful Good
Deity: Wadjet
Level: 3

Basic Appearance: Aha is often mistaken for a woman when he is properly clothed, but the problem seems to amuse him more than anything.  His figure is lithe and graceful, with long, silky black hair and golden, almond-shaped eyes that he lines with khol.  When clothed, he prefers light-weight, gauzy fabrics that leave a good portion of his smooth, tanned flesh exposed while allowing what is covered to breathe.  He could easily be mistaken for weak due to his slender frame, but secret power coils in his lean muscles and anyone who has seen him fight would attest to his skill and strength.

Personality:  Aha is a flirty, good-humored, witty companion who takes immense pleasure in exploring not just new locations, but new people as well.  Gregarious and unrepentantly curious, he enjoys coaxing people's life stories from them through generous application of charm, drink and genuine interest.  He favors beauty and art, seeing them as a sign of civilization and man's creation of artwork an expression of the divine.  Though he upholds a code of conduct and is faithfully devoted to his duties to both his Pharaoh and his Deity, he is not of the mind that all must believe as he does or behave as he does.  Diversity in all things is what makes life worth living.

Basic Background

Aharon served the Pharaoh as one of her guards, protecting her from harm and sometimes warming her bed when she desired it.  He had been born to a builder and a handmaiden, raised in a loving, if chaotic and cramped, household.  He had little in the way of education until he was chosen to serve the Pharaoh at the age of ten.  From then, he tended her gardens and was taught a basic education before his strength and beauty caught the attention of her chief guard.

From the age of thirteen, he was trained in unarmed combat by a master of the art, so that he could protect their queen without seeming capable of doing so to an outside observer.  He became the Pharaoh's sometimes lover when he was seventeen, and thwarted several assassination attempts during his time with her, which is why he was afforded the honor of serving her in the afterlife.  While his heart broke to know he would never again see his family or his home, it soared to know he would be allowed to remain in Akhenisis' service.

His excitement only grew when he arrived in Sigil and saw how diverse the people were.  Here was not just a world of knowledge and new experiences, but many worlds, all simply waiting to be explored.

Aspirations:

- Meet as many diverse people as possible and learn of their home planes
- Join the Society of Sensation
- Shift alignments, multi-class into something more 'barbaric' and find a new deity

Roleplay Frog

I can't come up with a good egyptian based character. SOOOOOooo I think I'll just hammer up a random character, have them accidentially rope-a-doped into the Pharaoh's entourage and find a way to make them social... beyond, you know, hitting on egyptians.

Re Z L

WIP Planning to have it finished up tomorrow...too exhausted right now.
I'm planning her to be something of a slave-exalted-to-guard of some description.  I'll be using the Harbinger class from Dreamscarred press (and she'll be human).

Lapis Atem

• Eyes:  Blue
  • Skin:  Dark Olive
  • Hair:  Dirty Blonde
  • Height:  5' 6"
  • Weight:  125 lbs
  • Sex:  Female
  • Sexual Pref:  Pansexual

Description

Background

Lapis had never really known her parents and instead was soon left to the mercies of the street and its slums.  She survived by her wits--and occasionally a sharp knife--managing to eek out a life amongst the dregs of society.  The harsh life left its mark on her as she grew, though, and it wasn't long until her life of surviving off of others eventually got her caught.  She was a prisoner for only a short while before she was sold into slavery, which lasted for the majority of her life.

It was rare that her owners were gracious enough with her--she was just a simple criminal after all.  Some took more advantage of her than others, but they all treated her with varying measures of disregard.  Hate and pain festered in her heart over time.  Her owners would eventually sell her after they lost interest in trying to rein her in--or after they'd finished having their fun with her.

Her unruly temperament had become well known in the circles of nobility that frequently owned slaves until eventually the only ones that would buy her were the servants of royalty to put her to hard labor.  While she was abused less, the hard labor brought on other pains that still continued to rot in her heart.  Still rebellious, she was often punished for her attitude or contempt of authority over her.  One of the guards seemed to take pity on her, or at least saw less purpose to beating her, and instead showed her a little kindness.  The beatings decreased over time, but her life remained difficult and her outlook slowly dimmed.

During an inspection by the Pharaoh the slaves were to be presented along with the guards as their work was inspected.  One of the other slaves, perhaps in a not-too-different situation to Lapis, had decided to use the opportunity of brief freedom to defy his position.  He had little plan and simply took one guard by surprise, stealing his short sword in an attempt to kill him.  It had been the one that had shown some measure of kindness to Lapis, and she quickly saw what was going on.  Without second thought she lunged after the attacker, knocking the guard away while struggling with the other slave.  He managed to stab with the weapon through her left shoulder, just under the collarbone.  Stunned that she still fought on like some kind of demon possessed, he let go of the hilt giving her the chance to pull the blade from her shoulder and thrust it through the attacker's chest.

Blood loss caused her to quickly lose consciousness, but eventually she awoke under the care of one of the physicians that attended to the Pharaoh.  She was elevated to a position in the palace where she would serve the Pharaoh directly as a guard, though she still needed some time to recover and be properly trained.  It was never clear to Lapis what the Pharaoh saw in her, but she was kind and treated her with dignity and respect--far more than she had ever received in the past.  At times the sorrow of her past would overwhelm her, and the Pharaoh would sometimes try to listen or offer comfort.  Lapis was quickly won over, and her unwavering loyalty became ever obvious.  Her martial prowess grew in unexpected ways as she trained.  She was never the strongest combatant, but she showed a strange, dark tenacity that manifested as a unique fighting style.

When the Pharaoh died she was a natural pick to join the expedition.  She felt as if a part of her died with the Pharaoh, but if she could perhaps where she ascended to perhaps she could rejoin her to continue her service if only in some small way.  For now, though, she journeyed on with the others serving them as much as she served her Pharaoh--her Goddess.

Character Sheet

Myth Weavers Link (Backed up using their backup tool)

To-do:

• Equipment

Aspirations

• Protect the Goddess
  • Find where/which plane she may have ascended to
  • Protect the other members of the chosen guardians
  • Explore their new world
A&A

TheKhan

Interesting character concepts so far! Looking forward to more (and seeing more of the WIPs)!

indarkestknight

Still waiting on archetype approval before moving ahead with a character, but I continue to be very interested.

That said, as a sidebar, a friend from out of town will be visiting for the next few days, so it's very likely I won't have much time to work on a character. I should be back this upcoming Tuesday/Wednesday-ish.

TheKhan

Quote from: indarkestknight on October 18, 2018, 08:45:40 PM
Still waiting on archetype approval before moving ahead with a character, but I continue to be very interested.

That said, as a sidebar, a friend from out of town will be visiting for the next few days, so it's very likely I won't have much time to work on a character. I should be back this upcoming Tuesday/Wednesday-ish.

Ah! Thank you for the reminder, it has been quite a busy week for me. I think everything looks good, so you can start building.

Also, thanks for letting me know about the conflict. If things are running a bit late, that's okay. I'm fine with shifting targets if it would be helpful, as long as I know in advance.

Re Z L

Mostly done now

Might need to revise the character history/aspirations a touch, and the sheet still needs a handful of things (just gear/maneuvers right now I think)
A&A

TheKhan

Quote from: Re Z L on October 19, 2018, 11:27:02 PM
Mostly done now

Might need to revise the character history/aspirations a touch, and the sheet still needs a handful of things (just gear/maneuvers right now I think)

Sounds good. Don't stress too much about aspirations, they are supposed to be guidelines rather than rules. They can change and shift as needed.

Chulanowa

I'll have my girl up sometime this evening  ;D I'm going either shaman or oracle

Chanticleer

I just realized that I did not have my sheet done for this! Usually I do it kind of while I am working on the story and background. Synthesize. But this time I came up with most of the background while I was away from my books.

I will try to get it done tonight. Hopefully to better than a 90% standard!
My current O/os (need work)

TheKhan

Quote from: Chanticleer on October 23, 2018, 05:53:58 PM
I just realized that I did not have my sheet done for this! Usually I do it kind of while I am working on the story and background. Synthesize. But this time I came up with most of the background while I was away from my books.

I will try to get it done tonight. Hopefully to better than a 90% standard!

I was just thinking about PMing you to check in! No worries. As long as we have enough people who have sheets and want to play by tomorrow, we should be good.

indarkestknight

Quote from: Chulanowa on October 23, 2018, 10:25:28 AM
I'll have my girl up sometime this evening  ;D I'm going either shaman or oracle

Oh thank god we have someone who can cast spells/heal. We still lack anyone for traps, but at least we're not that far up the creek...

Will try to get a character up to par ASAP, though I probably won't be able to pull that off by this time tomorrow night, just as a head's up, due to having been otherwise occupied since Friday.

TheKhan

Quote from: indarkestknight on October 23, 2018, 08:10:35 PM
Oh thank god we have someone who can cast spells/heal. We still lack anyone for traps, but at least we're not that far up the creek...

Will try to get a character up to par ASAP, though I probably won't be able to pull that off by this time tomorrow night, just as a head's up, due to having been otherwise occupied since Friday.

Yeah, no worries. I'll hold off on picking players until Friday evening.

Chulanowa

[Floatright][/float]Name: Nafisa Nitorê Nayobey
Race: Gnome
Class: Spirit Guide Oracle 3 - Succor Mystery
Alignment: Neutral Good
Character sheet: (Completed!) https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1733494

Background: Nafisa is not a native of the Pharaoh's lands; rather she hails from the marshy riverlands to the south. From a young age, she was clearly claimed by the spirits, and so trained with the bone men and death-stealers of the tribes of those lands. She learned to control and direct her gift, and to resist the sometimes overwhelming pull of the wendo spirits upon her.
   Her service to the Pharaoh Akhenisis began ten years ago, and started as politics beyond Nafisa's ken. Ahkenisis' old personal priest had finally passed into the next world, leaving the queen's spiritual defenses unguarded. Clearly the role must be filled, but due to the politics at the time, bringing in a priest from any of the temples would have given that temple far too much influence, and would anger the rest, possibly to the point of revolt. Ahkenisis sent out for a priest not beholden to the Temple Gods; the priesthoods would still be angry, but at least they would not point their spears at each other over the slight.
   For the decade hence, it was Nafisa Nitorê Nayobey whose potions and magics brought health to (or "stole from death," as she put it) the queen's entourage. Her wards that kept evil spirits at bay, and her charms that rebuffed the curses of rivals and made enemies pliable. when the queen began her next journey, she asked that Nafisa accompany her, to continue those services in the next world. What's a little ritual death between friends?

Personality: Some believe Nafisa to be a barbarian. To be sure, she cleaves to the ways and traditions she grew up with in the floating islands of her homeland. Her accent is odd, her clothing even more so, and she would rather you didn't call her by her "court name" of "Nafsetnethnabir," though she'll put up with it. It's not that she dislikes or looks down on the civilization and people she lives among now; far from it, she finds it all fascinating and beautiful. But she knows herself, and that changing herself just to "fit in" would be fake and superficial, and ultimately genuinely disrespectful.
   She's confident and assured, certain in her own abilities and knowledge. She has an outgoing way to her, and is always interested in new people and practices. She agreed to the queen's services not so much out of duty or honor, but out of curiosity, a desire to explore and set her bare feet onto new soil.
   Despite her role as, essentially, a witch doctor, and the sometimes grim or secretive practices her calling asks of her, Nafisa is herself prone to laughter and smiles; she doesn't bother hiding what she feels, and at times, her manner can seem blunt and impolite. Curiously this has given her something of a positive reputation, as a sensible wise woman who "tells you what you need to hear." She's not sure how she feels about that notion.

Aspirations:
• Continue ushering Ahkenisis through the next stages of her spiritual life; Nafisa knows a great spirit when she sees one, and regards this as a priority duty.
• Learn what price Death asks of those who steal from it; She doesn't "heal," so much as she wrests life back from its cold clutches, after all.
• Meet and learn from other gnomes; so far she's only seen them from afar in this very odd new city. That's enough to tell they're very different from her tribes.
• Perhaps gain an apprenticeship at that nearby apothecary; when in Sigil, she can't necessarily rely on the herbs from home after all.
• Find a pet, perhaps?

Appearance: Nafisa stands only three feet and a few inches in height, but she'd be terribly difficult to lose in a crowd. Thick curls of black hair spill from her scalp to the middle of her back, and spread out enough to almost form a cloak of locks over and aroudn her shoulders as well. Tucked into this riot are often feathers, cut herbs, and flowers, we well as the occasional strand of beads or small painted bone charm. her round face is set with full, soft lips and a pert nose, as well as almost too-large eyes whose pale color contrasts with the rich mahogany of her skin. Strings of painted wooden beads encircle her slender neck and spill over her chest; in hot weather, these are the only thing she wears above the waist. More usually though she's dressed in a loose, comfortable wrap of pale blue cotton that is snug enough to show the roundness of her hips and soft gentle curve of her stomach; she's certainly no muscular hard-body under there. Even so, she goes carry a carved ebony club at her hip, and an oval shield of wood and hide at her back... Sigil's a dangerous city, after all...

Sexuality: Nafisa comes from a society that does not worry too much about who you wrap your legs or lips around. If you enjoy each other, then do so! The court of Akhenisis seems to have a somewhat different ethos, and Nafisa has had little, erm, activity in the past decade. She personally favors males, but has found no issue with sharing an evening with a lovely woman. For the moment the plethora of odd races and beings in Sigil raise more questions than actual interest in that regard, and unless approached by one of them, she's likely to keep her interests to the beings she's more familiar with. In terms of what she's "into," well, that's more of a mood thing, and she's more than willing to explore a partner's interests.

indarkestknight

Names have always been a weakpoint of mine, and I'm still struggling with one for the Shabti. I did have the idea to use the Coptic word for "Tormented" or "Sufferer" as a reference back to the Nameless One of Planescape: Torment, but unless I figure out a way to convert the Coptic word to the English alphabet, it seems better just to use one of the names of the three magi. Maybe Melchior or Balthazar.

Backstory & Aspirations
No shabti's story begins happily, and this story is no different. Like all of his kind, he was created as a simulacrum of a figure of great wealth, great power, and great wickedness – wicked enough to fear for the fate of their immortal soul in the afterlife, and wicked enough to inflict the wages of sin of their sin on a pristine, innocent soul. The shabti does not know whom he was modeled after, the vessel empty of whatever memories he was created to bear, for he was created lacking the ren of his mortal counterpart, but that ignorance did not save him from unworthiness, did not save him from the unflinching judgement of the scales of Anubis, did not save his ab, his heart, another eighth of his soul from the unending hunger of Ammit's maw.

It would have been cruel enough a fate to be doomed to serve out his conterpart's sentence as one of the restless dead in the lands of Duat, though the shabti knows not how long he dwelt in that place before a raiding party of sahkil spirited him and many other pilgrims on their journey through the lands of Duat, finding himself in a hell beyond anything he could have imagined, Xibalba where he served as prey and plaything for the sakhil's terror-filled delights. While all other souls were, over the spans of years and decades and perhaps even centuries warped into undead mockeries of their captors' former roles as psychopomps, the shabti's nature warded him from such a fate, instead consigning him to an unending eternity serving as one of the terrorized of Xibalba, never granted the release of undeath.

The first truly positive event in his long, tortured existence was when he crossed paths with a war party of Anubis' psychopomps. Though most recognized him as one of the restless dead, those whose hearts had been devoured by Ammit, the wisest among their number, having once been a shabti themselves, felt some strange kinship to the shabti. Peering closer, they saw the shabti for what he was, saw the horribly grave error that had led to this bleak infinity of torment. While it was not within their power to undo the great wrong that had been done, it was within their power to remove him from this demiplane of dread.

For the first time in his miserable existence, free, the shabti discovered that something had nestled inside the gouge left behind where his ab and ren should have been, a strange power. Seeking to understand this power and how to restore his lost ab, the shabti found himself drawn to a desert kingdom presided over by the Pharaoh Akhenisis, though he had no memories of the place itself. Though doing so did little to further unravel the mysteries that swirled around him, for the first time, as he laid eyes on this kingdom, its cities and monuments and temples, as he heard the prayers they lifted to their gods, as he felt the heat envelop him, his soul truly felt at ease.

However, when it was time for the Pharaoh Akhenisis to ascend, the priesthood of Anubis advised the Pharaoh to seek out the shabti, for who better to act as guide to the Pharaoh in the land of Duat than one who had made the journey himself before? When this was asked of him, he did not see how he could refuse.

Aspirations
• Discover the identity of his mortal counterpart and in so doing, claim his ren.
• Discover a way to restore the lost ab that Ammit devoured.
• Unravel the mystery of the astral eidolon's nature.

Poorly understood by the people of Akhenisis' kingdom, who are more familiar with more common eidolons of elemental, celestial, fiendish, or even monitor persuasion, it is theorized that the eidolon may have been some astral phantom, an entity so diminished it was unable to fully manifest itself without bonding to a host such as the shabti. There is also the far more chilling suggestion that it is the lingering phantom of some tormented petitioner of Xibalba or some other creature that met a grim fate in the fearful playground of the sakhil.

Charsheet (WIP)
Male shabti summoner (nexus commander) 3
LN Medium outsider (native)
Init +0; Senses darkvision 60 ft.; Perception +3

AC 15, touch 10, flat-footed 15 (+4 armor, +1 shield)
hp 3d8 + 6 (24)
Fort +3, Ref +1, Will +3
Defensive Abilities immune to undeath, resist level drain, shield ally

Speed 30 ft.
Melee cestus +4 (1d4 +2/19-20)
Melee longspear +4 (1d8 + 3/x3)
Ranged sun's gleam +4 (1d6 + 3)
Spell-Like Abilities (CL 3rd; concentration +6)
1/day—suggestion (DC 16)
Summoner Spell-Like Abilities (CL 3rd; concentration +6)
6/day – summon monster II

Str 14 Dex 10 Con 15 Int 12 Wis 10 Cha 16
Base Atk +2; CMB +4; CMD 14
Feats Augment Summoning, Spell Focus (conjuration)
Traits
Skills Knowledge (arcana) +5 (1 rank), Knowledge (history) +5 (1 rank), Knowledge (planes) +5 (1 rank), Linguistics +7 (3 ranks), Perception +3 (3 ranks), Spellcraft +5 (1 rank), Use Magic Device +7 (1 rank)
Languages Aquan, Auran, Common, Infernal, Terran
SQ animus (3 points, enhance maneuver, planar boon), blank slate, eidolon, immortal, nexus, nexus flare, shattered soul
Combat Gear wand of lesser rejuvenate eidolon (50 charges); Other Gear cestus, chain shirt, longspear, masterwork buckler, summoner's kit

Blank Slate Some shabti are bereft of memories of their past lives but can accomplish great improvisations. Shabti with this racial trait can, once per day as a free action, treat any skill as though they had a number of ranks equal to half of their character levels for one skill check (minimum 1 rank).

This racial trait replaces past life knowledge.

Immortal (Ex) Shabti do not age naturally and cannot die of old age. While some might come into being at age categories other than adulthood, they never leave their original age category. Spells and effects that cause aging affect a shabti as normal.

Immune to Undeath (Ex) Shabti can’t become undead. Spells and abilities that would transform a shabti into an undead creature have no effect.

Resist Level Drain (Ex) A shabti takes no penalties from energy drain effects, though he can still be killed if he accrues more negative levels than he has Hit Dice. After 24 hours, any negative levels a shabti takes are automatically removed without the need for an additional saving throw.

Shattered Soul (Ex) Shabti who are killed are exceptionally difficult to return to life. Those who attempt to return a shabti to life using raise dead, resurrection, or similar spells must succeed at a caster level check equal to 10 + the shabti’s Hit Dice. If this check fails, the spell fails and the caster can’t return the shabti to life for the next 24 hours (though the caster can try again after this period).

Serpentine Astral Eidolon
TN Medium outsider (extraplanar)
Init +3; Senses darkvision 60 ft.; Perception +6

AC 17, touch 13, flat-footed 14 (+3 Dex, +4 natural armor)
hp 3d10 + 3 (25)
Fort +2, Ref +6, Will +3
Defensive abilities evasion

Speed 30 ft., climb 20 ft.
Melee bite +6 (1d6+1)
Melee tail slap +1 (1d6)

Str 12 Dex 16 Con 13 Int 7 Wis 10 Cha 11
Base Atk +3; CMB +4; CMD 14
Feats Combat Reflexes, Weapon Finesse
Skills Intimidate +6 (3 ranks), Perception +6 (3 ranks)
SQ evolution (bite, limbs, magic attacks, reach [bite], tail, tail slap), link, share spells

Bibliophilia

Ooo...I love that art piece at the end of your Background info.  Tiger...wasp?  Is it Chinese?  It reminds me of the old paintings of Chinese mythological creatures.

TheKhan

Alrighty... so we only had five character applications and they all look really, solid, so I'm just going to say that everyone makes it into the game! That gives us...

?? - LN M Shabti Nexus Commander Summoner (indarkestknight)
Nafisa - NG F Gnome Spirit Guide Oracle (Chulanowa)
Lapis - CG F Human Harbinger (Re Z L)
Aharon - LG M Human Monk (Bibliophilia)
Nedjem - F Scaleheart Skinwalker Warder (Chanticleer - who is finishing the character sheet as we speak)

Please post your character sheets in the OOC thread, then head on over the game thread to get this party started!

TheKhan

Quote from: indarkestknight on October 26, 2018, 12:51:03 AM
Names have always been a weakpoint of mine, and I'm still struggling with one for the Shabti. I did have the idea to use the Coptic word for "Tormented" or "Sufferer" as a reference back to the Nameless One of Planescape: Torment, but unless I figure out a way to convert the Coptic word to the English alphabet, it seems better just to use one of the names of the three magi. Maybe Melchior or Balthazar.

Backstory & Aspirations
No shabti's story begins happily, and this story is no different. Like all of his kind, he was created as a simulacrum of a figure of great wealth, great power, and great wickedness – wicked enough to fear for the fate of their immortal soul in the afterlife, and wicked enough to inflict the wages of sin of their sin on a pristine, innocent soul. The shabti does not know whom he was modeled after, the vessel empty of whatever memories he was created to bear, for he was created lacking the ren of his mortal counterpart, but that ignorance did not save him from unworthiness, did not save him from the unflinching judgement of the scales of Anubis, did not save his ab, his heart, another eighth of his soul from the unending hunger of Ammit's maw.

It would have been cruel enough a fate to be doomed to serve out his conterpart's sentence as one of the restless dead in the lands of Duat, though the shabti knows not how long he dwelt in that place before a raiding party of sahkil spirited him and many other pilgrims on their journey through the lands of Duat, finding himself in a hell beyond anything he could have imagined, Xibalba where he served as prey and plaything for the sakhil's terror-filled delights. While all other souls were, over the spans of years and decades and perhaps even centuries warped into undead mockeries of their captors' former roles as psychopomps, the shabti's nature warded him from such a fate, instead consigning him to an unending eternity serving as one of the terrorized of Xibalba, never granted the release of undeath.

The first truly positive event in his long, tortured existence was when he crossed paths with a war party of Anubis' psychopomps. Though most recognized him as one of the restless dead, those whose hearts had been devoured by Ammit, the wisest among their number, having once been a shabti themselves, felt some strange kinship to the shabti. Peering closer, they saw the shabti for what he was, saw the horribly grave error that had led to this bleak infinity of torment. While it was not within their power to undo the great wrong that had been done, it was within their power to remove him from this demiplane of dread.

For the first time in his miserable existence, free, the shabti discovered that something had nestled inside the gouge left behind where his ab and ren should have been, a strange power. Seeking to understand this power and how to restore his lost ab, the shabti found himself drawn to a desert kingdom presided over by the Pharaoh Akhenisis, though he had no memories of the place itself. Though doing so did little to further unravel the mysteries that swirled around him, for the first time, as he laid eyes on this kingdom, its cities and monuments and temples, as he heard the prayers they lifted to their gods, as he felt the heat envelop him, his soul truly felt at ease.

However, when it was time for the Pharaoh Akhenisis to ascend, the priesthood of Anubis advised the Pharaoh to seek out the shabti, for who better to act as guide to the Pharaoh in the land of Duat than one who had made the journey himself before? When this was asked of him, he did not see how he could refuse.

Aspirations
• Discover the identity of his mortal counterpart and in so doing, claim his ren.
• Discover a way to restore the lost ab that Ammit devoured.
• Unravel the mystery of the astral eidolon's nature.

Poorly understood by the people of Akhenisis' kingdom, who are more familiar with more common eidolons of elemental, celestial, fiendish, or even monitor persuasion, it is theorized that the eidolon may have been some astral phantom, an entity so diminished it was unable to fully manifest itself without bonding to a host such as the shabti. There is also the far more chilling suggestion that it is the lingering phantom of some tormented petitioner of Xibalba or some other creature that met a grim fate in the fearful playground of the sakhil.

Charsheet (WIP)
Male shabti summoner (nexus commander) 3
LN Medium outsider (native)
Init +0; Senses darkvision 60 ft.; Perception +3

AC 15, touch 10, flat-footed 15 (+4 armor, +1 shield)
hp 3d8 + 6 (24)
Fort +3, Ref +1, Will +3
Defensive Abilities immune to undeath, resist level drain, shield ally

Speed 30 ft.
Melee cestus +4 (1d4 +2/19-20)
Melee longspear +4 (1d8 + 3/x3)
Ranged sun's gleam +4 (1d6 + 3)
Spell-Like Abilities (CL 3rd; concentration +6)
1/day—suggestion (DC 16)
Summoner Spell-Like Abilities (CL 3rd; concentration +6)
6/day – summon monster II

Str 14 Dex 10 Con 15 Int 12 Wis 10 Cha 16
Base Atk +2; CMB +4; CMD 14
Feats Augment Summoning, Spell Focus (conjuration)
Traits
Skills Knowledge (arcana) +5 (1 rank), Knowledge (history) +5 (1 rank), Knowledge (planes) +5 (1 rank), Linguistics +7 (3 ranks), Perception +3 (3 ranks), Spellcraft +5 (1 rank), Use Magic Device +7 (1 rank)
SQ animus (3 points, enhance maneuver, planar boon), blank slate, eidolon, immortal, nexus, nexus flare, shattered soul
Combat Gear wand of lesser rejuvenate eidolon (50 charges); Other Gear cestus, chain shirt, longspear, masterwork buckler, summoner's kit

Blank Slate Some shabti are bereft of memories of their past lives but can accomplish great improvisations. Shabti with this racial trait can, once per day as a free action, treat any skill as though they had a number of ranks equal to half of their character levels for one skill check (minimum 1 rank).

This racial trait replaces past life knowledge.

Immortal (Ex) Shabti do not age naturally and cannot die of old age. While some might come into being at age categories other than adulthood, they never leave their original age category. Spells and effects that cause aging affect a shabti as normal.

Immune to Undeath (Ex) Shabti can’t become undead. Spells and abilities that would transform a shabti into an undead creature have no effect.

Resist Level Drain (Ex) A shabti takes no penalties from energy drain effects, though he can still be killed if he accrues more negative levels than he has Hit Dice. After 24 hours, any negative levels a shabti takes are automatically removed without the need for an additional saving throw.

Shattered Soul (Ex) Shabti who are killed are exceptionally difficult to return to life. Those who attempt to return a shabti to life using raise dead, resurrection, or similar spells must succeed at a caster level check equal to 10 + the shabti’s Hit Dice. If this check fails, the spell fails and the caster can’t return the shabti to life for the next 24 hours (though the caster can try again after this period).

Serpentine Astral Eidolon
TN Medium outsider (extraplanar)
Init +3; Senses darkvision 60 ft.; Perception +6

AC 17, touch 13, flat-footed 14 (+3 Dex, +4 natural armor)
hp 3d10 + 3 (25)
Fort +2, Ref +6, Will +3
Defensive abilities evasion

Speed 30 ft., climb 20 ft.
Melee bite +6 (1d6+1)
Melee tail slap +1 (1d6)

Str 12 Dex 16 Con 13 Int 7 Wis 10 Cha 11
Base Atk +3; CMB +4; CMD 14
Feats Combat Reflexes, Weapon Finesse
Skills Intimidate +6 (3 ranks), Perception +6 (3 ranks)
SQ evolution (bite, limbs, magic attacks, reach [bite], tail, tail slap), link, share spells

Not super helpful, but "Sufferer" in Ancient Egyptian is AHW when the hieroglyphs are switched to English, while "to suffer" or "to endure" is WKHD. So maybe something like "Ahuw" or "Wekhed" would work?

Chulanowa

Quote from: TheKhan on October 27, 2018, 06:06:27 PM
Not super helpful, but "Sufferer" in Ancient Egyptian is AHW when the hieroglyphs are switched to English, while "to suffer" or "to endure" is WKHD. So maybe something like "Ahuw" or "Wekhed" would work?

AHW? Wait... Vowels? in my ancient Semetic languages?!

indarkestknight

Quote from: Bibliophilia on October 26, 2018, 05:27:29 AM
Ooo...I love that art piece at the end of your Background info.  Tiger...wasp?  Is it Chinese?  It reminds me of the old paintings of Chinese mythological creatures.

Thank you! Glad you likeit. It's apparently a Tigerpede, or that's what the artist labeled the picture anyway. As far as I can tell, the artist, B.R. Guthrie, lives in SoCal, but it does have a bit of a Chinese mythological feel to it, I agree!