Superintendent Pay Cut

Started by AndyZ, August 29, 2011, 06:46:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndyZ

It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

Caela

That is VERY freaking cool! A lot of people, not just in government, could learn a lot from this man's example. How many public officials would be willing to give up 3 years pay (even the ones that could afford to won't) and still work? So many of our politicians are really just about the money and the perks that they get, it is good to see a public official willing to step up and be an example. Even the fact that he didn't tell people is an example to others. He's not asking for kudos or to be recognized, he's just doing the right thing for the school districts he runs.

I wish we had more people like this man in both high ranking public and private sector positions. Lord knows a lot of CEO's could stand to learn something from his example too!

Callie Del Noire

I think a lot of folks like this gent get passed over. I mean without disclosure to the media, how often do the good measures pass unnoticed because people who do ti aren't looking for notice? I mean I know my brother and several of his coworkers give TONS back to the community without telling anyone (outside of family) and who would know if they don't tell anyone?

Torch

Quote from: Caela on August 29, 2011, 09:05:32 AM
How many public officials would be willing to give up 3 years pay (even the ones that could afford to won't) and still work?

Michael Bloomberg, mayor of New York City since 2002, has declined to accept the salary he is entitled to ($195K per annum), and instead receives a token $1 per year.

And had he been elected President of the United States, Ross Perot stated repeatedly that he would not have accepted a salary for becoming Commander-in-Chief.
"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must outrun the fastest lion or it will be killed. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle, when the sun comes up, you'd better be running."  Sir Roger Bannister

Erotic is using a feather. Kinky is using the whole chicken.

On's and Off's

Torch

Quote from: Caela on August 29, 2011, 09:05:32 AM
So many of our politicians are really just about the money and the perks that they get,

I disagree. No one goes into politics and public service to get rich. Most elected officials who enter public office from the business sector take pay cuts in order to serve their terms. Remember, there are no stock options for government employees.
"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must outrun the fastest lion or it will be killed. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle, when the sun comes up, you'd better be running."  Sir Roger Bannister

Erotic is using a feather. Kinky is using the whole chicken.

On's and Off's

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Torch on August 29, 2011, 10:32:48 AM
I disagree. No one goes into politics and public service to get rich. Most elected officials who enter public office from the business sector take pay cuts in order to serve their terms. Remember, there are no stock options for government employees.

I know that when my brother was running for office he was facing a MASSIVE cut in pay. As a senior partner in his firm he's got a lot of clients and makes a fair amount of money (that's not including the other businesses he invested in). A lot of his cases would have gone to others in the firm and he'd have lost the time and efffort he put into them.

Of course he also took two of the folks working on his campaign to court over their embezzling funds from him during the campaign so I can see what some folks assume about politicians and such.

Asuras

I honestly have mixed feelings about things like this.

The example I have in mind is the SEC. A lot of people come out of college with degrees in finance with the choice of going to the SEC or the private sector. But the private sector pays a lot more. So a lot of the best people go work in the private sector, run circles around the SEC, and millions of Americans become unemployed because of a financial crisis that the SEC's guys were too dumb and ill-equipped to catch.

And this is widespread. My dad worked for the government on defense contracts and the defense companies' accountants ran circles around him because his staff was just worse than theirs was.

School systems are similar - the best managers shouldn't go to GE, they should go to manage our schools. And they do earn less managing our schools, and less when we (as in this thread) praise them when they volunteer to do so.

I don't find it reasonable to expect people to do public service out of the goodness of their hearts or a spirit of patriotism that costs them half or more their pay.