Work/Depression Related Question.

Started by Zealously Jaded, September 13, 2010, 08:51:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zealously Jaded

Alright at the begining of the year I took 12 weeks off from work due to (work related) depression, once those weeks were up I left all together. I managed to use up all my savings and get help from my parents (which I live with), since I left my job I couldn't get benifits. Personally I hate claming benifits I feel like such a failure, but now since I'm hoping to emigrate to Florida in January I don't want to apply for a job because it wouldn'tbe fair on them to just have to find someone else once I've gone....

I have however applied for a temp Xmas job...when should I (if at all) tell them that I left my last position because I was being buillied by my manager which caused a nervous breakdown and depression and the need for very serious (and teeth grinding) depression medication?

Hope that's not too much to take in.

Hunter

Personally, I wouldn't mention it; particularly since it's a temporary job.

Zealously Jaded

Yer, I guess your right. It's just I have a hard time lying, especially when I want poeple to like me, and you know that the little question of... "Why did you leave your last position?" and "Why did you have a 6 month gap between leaving your last job and applying for this one?"

Hunter

Use the magic phrase: "Personal reasons".

Zealously Jaded

Does that work, because I got to stay away from that sentence.

Oniya

You could always say 'health reasons, that have now been resolved'.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Remiel

Or you could say something like "a personal event which made it difficult to devote my full attention to my work."    If they ask what that event was, say "I'm sorry, but I'd rather not say."   Nine times out of ten they won't press the issue.

Zealously Jaded

Hmmmm,

I think I'm going to go for the not mention it at all but to go for the "I decided to leave because I was givent he acting supervisor role but they weren't willing to give me the title and payrise despite the fact I was doing the work." Which is another reason why I left.