News:

Main Menu

Images of black holes

Started by Kurzyk, April 09, 2011, 06:08:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oniya

Very interesting - some of the comments made my brain ache, though.  O_o
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Kurzyk

Oh yikes I didn't even scroll down to read those. Sorry about that. I usually ignore comments and forgot those pages have them.

I was amazed to read that a black hole could be the size of an atom? That's incredible.

Oniya

I'm just glad I realized that it was a nutcase (troll, perhaps?) before I responded to more than one.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Sabby

Black holes have frightened me (terrified actually) ever since I was a kid... space in general does. I guess I have a fear of vastness, and emptiness :/ I see a documentary on space, and just something inside me curls up and hides.

Brandon

Very interesting.

Although is it just me or do a few of them look like they were made by some kind of drafting/animating software? They just seem to...clean, for lack of a better word
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Raider

Quote from: Sabby on April 10, 2011, 01:14:42 AM
Black holes have frightened me (terrified actually) ever since I was a kid... space in general does. I guess I have a fear of vastness, and emptiness :/ I see a documentary on space, and just something inside me curls up and hides.

Be afraid be very afraid

http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-04-newly-merged-black-hole-eagerly.html

Will

Quote from: Brandon on April 10, 2011, 01:23:33 AM
Very interesting.

Although is it just me or do a few of them look like they were made by some kind of drafting/animating software? They just seem to...clean, for lack of a better word

Yes, it refers to those as artists' renderings in the captions.
If you can heal the symptoms, but not affect the cause
It's like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze

One day, I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
- Jack Kerouac

Shjade

I see a documentary on space, and just something inside me curls up and hides.
So you're saying that when you gaze into the abyss the abyss grows also in you?
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

WhiteyChan

To be fair, space isn't empty. Its permeated by a plasma of stray particles at a temperature of about 3K.

*Physics nerd* :P

Will

Well, not empty in an absolute sense.  But the amount of empty space dwarfs the volume of particles.  Though, I guess that's true everywhere in the universe, isn't it?  Even our bodies are mostly empty space.
If you can heal the symptoms, but not affect the cause
It's like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze

One day, I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
- Jack Kerouac

Sabby

It makes me feel small and completely defenseless. Any kind of open area that feels still, or dead... like, a field won't do it for me. Theres hills and breeze and other things that remind me this is a natural place. But if I'm in an empty stadium or underground car park, I get this paranoia that I'm being watched and if whatever was watching decided to come for me, I'd never be able to outrun it.

Space gives me the same feeling... huge, still, dead, infinitely imposing.

Kristine

I was trying to read the comments but it seems they started that traditional Religion vs Science war there, so lost interest and log off...

Oniya

*nods*  I actually responded to one saying that time can't exist in space, since time was dependent on the rotation of the Earth or summat.  (OT - Firefox recognizes 'summat' as a word?)  I left a definition of a second in terms of radioactive decay; a la the atomic clock.  Then I realized I was talking to a brick wall.

Shjade

Quote from: Oniya on April 23, 2011, 07:29:08 PM
I left a definition of a second in terms of radioactive decay; a la the atomic clock.  Then I realized I was talking to a brick wall.
On the plus side, you could measure exactly how long you were talking to the brick wall.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

OmniKitty

The video here shows how they make those pictures look so pretty. =3

I saw this a while back and found it very interesting.

A&As updated: 10.01.2012--
Currently available for a limited number of new roleplays! If you want to revive our old one, contact me.

It's pretty to hear the things you say,
You're pretty to watch at all,

I need your starlight in the back of my head...

ReanimateMagnus

It would be cool if they found out that white holes exist. Just a rift where matter comes spewing out all warped and stretched beyond it's means.

Oniya

Isn't that the theory of what quasars are?

ReanimateMagnus

Well I remember reading somewhere that a black hole would have to consume 10 stars each year to produce the same output as a quasar. So that would be a super massive black hole.

Oniya

Like - the ones in the middles of galaxies?   ::)

ReanimateMagnus

Like the ones scientist believe to be in the middle of galaxies, yes ^^;

Oniya

I've been fascinated by black holes since 7th grade, when I got a copy of Asimov's 'The Collapsing Universe'.  ^_^>  One book I read compared quasars to a tube of toothpaste with a pinhole in it, being run over by a steamroller - a rather indelible image.

ReanimateMagnus

I actually ordered Asimov's book The Foundation just last week it should be coming in the mail tomorrow. I can't wait to read it. It's hardback like all my sci-fi books :P

Noelle

I just finished reading Phil Plait's Death from the Skies, so this thread instantly gave me a massive nerd-rection. It's pretty great at allaying fears about space, I would say. It's a pretty inhospitable universe, but it's anything but dead.

Oniya

Quote from: Uprising on December 17, 2012, 12:11:24 AM
*plays the famous Muse song* Ohhh, you so asked for that~

*scratches head and feels old...*