News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Mass Effect 3 Release!!!

Started by SilentGemini, March 06, 2012, 05:52:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: TentacleFan on March 10, 2012, 02:00:33 AM
As for favorite other characters I like most of the cast in 2 really. Kasumi the thief from the DLC is pretty cool. I also like Miranda, Tali, Legion, and Garrus a lot. I didn't lose anyone in my first time through 2, I don't plan on it this time either.

Not all of them are your choice to save or not.  I liked the chemistry with most of the me2 crew. Mordin, Grunt, Thane, Jack and Joker/Edi particularly

Chris Brady

I should see about getting the latest DLC for ME2.  Have that tide me over until I can get ME3...
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

eBadger

Noa Shepard is a cute little thing, dainty and very lesbian.  Basically a guy in eye candy, as I figure that if I'm going to stare at a character's ass for several hours I want it to be a cute one.  I don't get too invested in the RP personality of games like this; I enjoy the story, but the options I or my character would really take are rarely offered. 

I'm a bit surprised by the lack of romantic potential so far in the game, but maybe that's me.  Also, my xbox died and lost all my ME1/2 saves, so I'm starting with the default - is it any different if you've have relationships with the characters before?

As for characters, Joker and EDI are great, and I need my damn quarian back!!!

Cold Heritage

Playing as a soldier. Made mostly paragon choices. I am digging the Mattock, and I like the Saber. Both are pretty nice weapons. I like having armour-piercing ammunition and laughing at Guardians and their shields. Basically always roll out with James Vega and EDI.

Jack is so great. She is still my waifu. Rekindled that romance with authority. I do want to peel her out of a military uniform, and I make no apologies for that. :3

Man . . . the Quarians. I get the choice, and these guys are done. I mean it. Done. Period. Full stop.
Thank you, fellow Elliquiyan, and have a wonderful day.

Inkidu

I just beat it, and wow was that ending terrible. Not terrible as in bad, but terrible as in implication. Like the great and terrible Oz terrible. However, I didn't like it. Not one, bit. I am unfulfilled.

Ending thoughts
It's too big. The ending is just too big, too metaphysical. The problem is that basically with the choice's you're given (which aren't too clearly laid out, there's no indication of how to pick the other two I went right down the center, and I have no idea what that did. So that was horribly done presentation wise. I don't feel like playing the long-ass ending over again to figure it out. Other that that it's hard to wrap your head around.

More on the ending though. The three choices are wipe out all synthetic life and technology and start again. Add yourself to the crucible and blend synthetic life and organic life, or control the reapers. I think it mostly renders all of Shepard's actions moot and void.

We're sent back to the stone-age to basically repeat mistakes and no Mass Relays.
We're merged with tech just like the Reapers want anyway.
Honestly, the only ending I would consider good would be the control the reapers ending, but I'll have to see what happens.

The fucking Catalyst wins three out of four times, as far as I can tell and I hate that. What about the human spirit and fighting for your right to live as an ascended space fairing race? Nope.

It pisses me off. Mainly because no matter what Shepard dies. He/She fucking dies. I was so looking forward to seeing Jack again, too. What the hell. Can't you just you know... destroy the fucking reapers. Retcon that shit, now!
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Inkidu on March 11, 2012, 12:23:15 AM
I just beat it, and wow was that ending terrible. Not terrible as in bad, but terrible as in implication. Lie the great and terrible Oz terrible. However, I didn't like it. Not one, bit. I am unfulfilled.

Play through again and make sure to have your military reediness at 5k+...  It is worth it.
If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

Inkidu

Quote from: SinXAzgard21 on March 11, 2012, 12:27:19 AM
Play through again and make sure to have your military reediness at 5k+...  It is worth it.
I'm pretty sure I had five K. The green bar was all the way to the end, or is that just military might? But that raises another problem. The crappy war room system. Throughout the whole game it was fifty percent, everywhere. Nothing I did ever brought any sector closer to anything but a coin toss. It's never really explained.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Wolfy

Quote from: Inkidu on March 11, 2012, 12:33:42 AM
I'm pretty sure I had five K. The green bar was all the way to the end, or is that just military might? But that raises another problem. The crappy war room system. Throughout the whole game it was fifty percent, everywhere. Nothing I did ever brought any sector closer to anything but a coin toss. It's never really explained.

Play the multiplayer. Each match earns you at least 2%. Actually completing it earns 4%, probably more on higher difficulties.

o3o

Chris Brady

Quote from: eBadger on March 10, 2012, 03:24:23 PM
Noa Shepard is a cute little thing, dainty and very lesbian.  Basically a guy in eye candy, as I figure that if I'm going to stare at a character's ass for several hours I want it to be a cute one.

If you spend your time in a game staring at your character's ass, you have gameplay issues.  Like, a nasty case of constant DEATH.

Whenever I play any 3rd person game, I am usually checking what's around the character, kinda like, I dunno, REAPERS.  I don't have the time to stare at a pixel bottom. ;D
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Inkidu

Quote from: Wolfy on March 11, 2012, 03:00:19 AM
Play the multiplayer. Each match earns you at least 2%. Actually completing it earns 4%, probably more on higher difficulties.

o3o
Okay, so I'm going to assume you don't need it to get the >5K ending. Because if you do I'm pissed. I can't play multiplayer unless it's spiltscreen or has a single player V comupter playability.

Callie Del Noire

I only had 2 choicesfirst time through so you must have been ahead of me. I am replaying, less guns more biopics this time. Warp + throw = fun sights. Wish I knew what a newton of force was comparable to.

Inkidu

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on March 11, 2012, 08:27:32 AM
I only had 2 choicesfirst time through so you must have been ahead of me. I am replaying, less guns more biopics this time. Warp + throw = fun sights. Wish I knew what a newton of force was comparable to.
The newton is the SI unit for force; it is equal to the amount of net force required to accelerate a mass of one kilogram at a rate of one metre per second squared. Newton's second law of motion states: F = ma, multiplying m (kg) by a (m/s2), The newton is therefore:[1]

{\rm N = kg~\frac{m}{s^2}}

Units used:

N = newton
    kg = kilogram
    m = metre
    s = second

Callie Del Noire

Yeah, just finished looking things up. Maxed out throw and warp are a nasty combo.

Inkidu

God I hope the 5K endings are better. Otherwise, ME3 is going off my GOTY list. I'll just redo proto-shep as my ME3 import. I'm going to go finish a ME2 game and try and figure out where they went wrong.

Nyarly

I haven't played it, but from what I read, all endings are horrible. It's the biggest criticism of the game.

Inkidu

Quote from: Nyarly on March 11, 2012, 10:50:55 AM
I haven't played it, but from what I read, all endings are horrible. It's the biggest criticism of the game.
After chewing it over, and getting over my initial outrage. I don't necessarily dislike the endings as much as I dislike the way they're presented in the final moments of the game. If they had reeled them in and not gone for so big they'd be fine, but mostly my hangups with the ending are in the mechanics of getting the ending I want. 

Nikisha

Don't click if you have not finished the game!

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
The endings suck, although I should say ending with very slight variations. They're terrible; it's not that Annashi and I agree only on it, the majority of players think the same way. The game is great except for that last 15 minutes which is full of non-sense. Check the official forums and you will see the amount of rage that is going on.

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Inkidu on March 11, 2012, 06:03:35 AM
Okay, so I'm going to assume you don't need it to get the >5K ending. Because if you do I'm pissed. I can't play multiplayer unless it's spiltscreen or has a single player V comupter playability.

It adds 27 seconds to the end game movie which shows something rather interesting.
If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

Cold Heritage

Quote from: Nyarly on March 11, 2012, 10:50:55 AM

Agree. A couple things I sort of wonder, though.

Ending Choice Musing
So, if the Mass Relays get destroyed, fine. But, it seems like, if you take the control or synthesis ending, you could just rebuild. I mean, Shepard could just be like "yo, Reapers, rebuild the Mass Relay network," and they would have to comply. Or in the synthesis ending, everyone could just work together to do it since everyone's a hybrid of organic and synthetic.

Geth/Quarian, EDI Musings
So, despite that I said I would make the choice that resulted in Quarian extinction (and make no mistake, by the time I got to that point I think they earned extinction), I went ahead and allowed the upgrade, but talked the Quarian fleet down from their idiotic Leeroy Jenkins attack - as an aside, it would have been nice to have been able to tell Legion to reboot the Geth dreadnought, because you know what? That thing would've been so much more useful against the Reapers than the Quarian "we only needed seventeen days to get ourselves into the 'save us from unlubricated assfuckings, Shepard!' position" fleet - so that I basically saved everyone. I ushered in an age of peace between an organic and synthetic species. I showed them that they could exist in harmony and the settlement of their planet was years ahead of schedule.

I also encouraged EDI and Joker to enter into a romantic relationship. They seem pretty happy about it.

Why can't I point that out?

Hemingway

None of the endings make any sense whatsoever, if you stop and think about them.

I'm completely on board with "Demand a better ending to Mass Effect 3". So should you!

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Hemingway on March 11, 2012, 09:23:08 PM
None of the endings make any sense whatsoever, if you stop and think about them.

I'm completely on board with "Demand a better ending to Mass Effect 3". So should you!

Some of the outcomes make sense.. like the issues with the Genophage, or the Quarian/Geth.. but the FINAL ending (at least the one I saw) sucks.

Cold Heritage

I had heard it bandied about that the original purpose to the Reapers was to stop technological development once civilizations started developing things that started employing Element Zero, because that resulted in something something hand wave hand wave treknobabble treknobabble and as such the heat death of the universe would be accelerated. That might have been interesting if they had kept that element (if it ever existed). Then the ending could have had Shepard go Paragon and convince them to end the cycle and that it is possible for them to change and find a better way, or something.

Inkidu

Quote from: Hemingway on March 11, 2012, 09:23:08 PM

spoilered for implied giveaway. If you've not beat the game, don't read
The more time that passes the more okay I am with the endings. They're not great, they're okay. I'm certainly not going to do something like petition them to rewrite them. No one but an editor ever makes an author rewrite his endings. Sure some things are retconned in the wide world of literature. I don't think gamers should think themselves somehow entitled to a redo. Guys, as unfulfilled as they left me, you've just got live with the bad ending. It happens, sadly. You could point to Broken Steel, but they're two different styles of games. Broken Steel was a tacked on plot to basically justify an open-ended game.

What makes the endings bad is that they make no sense, more correctly, they render everything Shepard has done pointless. They in fact, render a whole galaxy as pointless as if the Reapers had wiped it out anyway. That's what makes it a bad ending. As optimistic as some of them can be (They're all on the low scale anyway) the underlying nullification can't be undone.

Honestly, it's my personal practice as a writer to end a work as optimistic as humanly and realistically possible. Why? Ending are naturally sad. ME3 ends so bitter-sweetly that the bitter of the sadness just smashes everything up. That's why it's bad stylistically in my opinion.

I would like to bring a major gripe of gameplay forth Bioware. Something that you should actually look into fixing. Why is that the people with internet connections get an easier game? Huh!? Why? A guy who plays online can get the best endings with literally half the same force. While a single player person has to literally bust his ass to get everything in the game just so he can squeak by.

Trying to push Origin or something? What a dick move. 

Hemingway

Ending speculation
If you read through the speculation, you'll see the comparison to Broken Steel is more appropriate than you might think.

Nobody - or at least very few people - are asking for a total rewrite of the endings. Their desires range from a bit of an explanation of just what the hell happened, others for more options. I'd like to see the, ah, actual ending. I find the evidence that the time from the moment you're hit by the Reaper death ray to the end is all a hallucination to be quite compelling. I will make a rough outline of why I think that's the case now.

1) When you wake up, everything appears dreamlike. You're alone. You can hear them talk about how the ground team was wiped out and they're pulling back ...

2) ... in spite of which Anderson says they followed you inside...

3) ... Into an unknown part of the Citadel that seems to defy all logic. Anderson suggests that the place is "changing", but it doesn't explain how he got there long before you, how the Illusive Man appears to be controlling him ... or for that matter what the Illusive Man is doing there at all. I mean, the more you think about it, the less sense it makes. The Illusive Man is indoctrinated by the Reapers, who are the creations of the god child, who ... sees the Reapers no longer work, and ... wants the cycle to end. Why couldn't the Illusive Man end the cycle? Why would they need Shepard to go there and do it for them? Unless the child doesn't control the Reapers, and ... ugh, it hurts my head just thinking about how little sense it makes. But there's more!

4) All along, you've been fighting the Reapers, and it's well established that they're an insidious force, capable of getting in your head without you even realizing until it's too late. Could that explain why the choices all seem ... wrong? Anderson encourages you to destroy the Reapers, the Illusive Man to control them. The kid goes out of his way to make destruction seem like a bad choice. It doesn't seem like a typical renegade choice, and yet it clearly is.

EDIT 4.2) I neglected to mention the oily shadows slithering around the screen during your conversation with the Illusive Man.

5) If you pick either Control or Synthesis, you die. If you pick Destroy, you get the hidden ending, with Shepard lying in a pile of rubble, apparently dead, before taking one deep breath. This, it seems to me, at least heavily suggests that the kid is trying to convince you to go with Control or Synthesis because it represents giving up. Through destroying the Reapers - metaphorically or literally - you break free of their hold, you wake up where the hallucination began, in a pile of rubble, in London.

I'm probably leaving out important things here, but the weight of the evidence seems clear. There's a very good video on youtube explaining it in deep detail too, especially elaborating on how everything seems ... backwards.

Now, it's entirely possible BioWare just wrote themselves into a corner here. It's possible they didn't intend for this, but you have to admit the evidence certainly suggests it.

I don't see how releasing a game where the ending is left out is a sound strategy, but ... it presents them with a very viable way of making it seem that way without having to actually retcon anything. I recognize that "it was all a dream" is a pretty lame device, but it's miles better than ... well, whatever it is we got, which just makes no goddamn sense. And dooms the galaxy to a slow death.

Cold Heritage

Ending Question
Did Anderson say anyone else made it up to the Citadel? I thought he said that apart from Shepard, no one else made. When you first wake up and grab the pistol, the radio chatter says something to the effect of the ground team getting decimated by, presumably, Harbringer.