Looking for players (D&D 3.5)

Started by Sabriel, October 31, 2010, 12:30:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sabriel

Hello all :)

First id like like to start out by outlining what I think is the most important thing, I am looking for another group of players and a storyteller who are invested in telling a story and enjoying the game together. Roleplaying to me is all about having fun and enjoying a game and story together, so it is very important to me that everyone be on the same page and be mature and committed to having fun with the game and each other. 

What I am looking to find/create is another group of players and a storyteller who can work together to create an interesting story/adventure etc. This is not going to be about who can make the weirdest/best/coolest/silliest character or class combo or anything like that, this will focus on character relations between the group and story.

I am not going to really go into any ideas here because really I would rather find a group of like minded people and a storyteller who wishes to do such before throwing out ideas. I do have many ideas that I can suggest but I also believe as a group It may be better to decide on something together as a whole. 

I am open to doing many sorts of system games from 2nd D&D, 3.5 D&D, Pathfinder, D20 Modern,    Urban Arcana, Stargate D20, Engel,Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, Old World of Darkness (Including Dark ages and such settings) and Old Exalted. Those are the ones I am most familiar with or know at least enough about to join in and not feel like a lemon. 

Thanks for reading if your interested please feel free to pm me or reply here, you can also pm me to ask any questions or inquire about anything too if you like.

Kate

Sabriel

Id love to have you be a player too Kate, or anyone else who is a member of our SD group for that matter :P

It is that sort of group and feel I am really looking to capture, and well its how I know it is possible  :-) 

Kate

I think it is. Many writers here like developing characters more than being the post powerful person in a story.

It does make it more interesting and vivid when its believable.

Sabriel

It does at that and you are very good at vivid and believable Ive said it before and ill say it again I do love your style, it certainly captivates me.  ;D

bigwad73

I'd be interested in any of the D20-ish things.  And, I like character development...  :)
Bad puns!  Horrible jokes!  Odd SF and Fantasy references!  Mastery of useless information!  Expert in old TV shows and movies!  And yes, I'm "mature"!    Ons and Offs   And more    Interests   NEW As and As as of 5/12/16. Look here!!!!

Sabriel

Neat seams there is a theme developing then had someone express an interest if it is 3.5 D&D or Pathfinder, so that's looking like a popular option.

Hunter

grovercjuk

I would be interested in playing in a 3.5 D&D if there is still a slot.

Sabriel

Hello everyone

I have a question for everyone who has responded thus far.

As there seams to be a few who are interested in doing something d20 and there has been some mention of 3.5 D&D I thought it would be worthwhile asking if this is something that would appeal to everyone ?

Also If everyone who has posted so far is still on board that gives us a group of six players which I think is more than enough to start a group, as soon as we find a storyteller of course  :P

Please let me/us know if your still interested and on board :)

Not to say we can't accept other players too of course but perhaps we should consider what sort of themed setting we would like to do and start throwing some ideas around to see what everyone would like.

Thank you all

Kate

Hunter

grovercjuk

Keelan

As I've said via PM, I'm on board for D&D 3.5

Now, as I've also mentioned, my character I'm considering is a Half-Giant with the Half-Minotaur template (planned on making her pretty though, and not covered in fur, though I'm damn well keeping the horns), so I'd hope we play something of mid-to-high level so the LA doesn't kick my ass (it's LA +2 btw).  Class-wise, I'm thinking either Barbarian, Ranger, or maybe even a Cleric or Monk for the shits and giggles of it.  I'm also considering a few of the substitution levels and alternate features of the aforementioned too.  I had originally planned on her being a futanari (meaning she's a woman with a penis and balls, but still otherwise physically a female, for those who did not know the term), but if anyone has a serious problem with it... let me know and I'll probably change it.  This is just to let you know the character, not for the sake of a 'perfect party' (this does not look to be that sort of game) but mostly so you know what I'd be working with physically, since she'd be both quite large (a Large creature), muscular, and originally a futanari, all things I know some people do not find appealing, hence the forewarning if you will.

Now, allow me to open up discussion on the topic of themes and plotlines, though let me start by saying that I am looking at this as being not your usual D&D game, in that we aren't planning to min-max things and instead are just trying to have fun.  My first idea is to explore a massive metropolis, which believe you me is quite fun to do, even if it is 'just' a city-based game.  Something like Sharn in Eberron or Waterdeep in Forgotten Realms is what I'm talking, where it would be easy to find a good mixture of work, relaxation, entertainment and 'entertainment'.  We could all be a group of friends or, possibly, an adventuring group looking for a bit longer a stay, or possibly trying to settle down after quite some time traveling and gaining riches on their adventures.  Both would be interesting and feasible for such a setting.

Another idea would be to explore some of the alternate planes, again as in Forgotten Realms where there are a number of planes for the various gods and goddesses.  It might be fun constantly plane-hopping, though would likely need to be a higher level game so that a wizard/sorcerer could planeshift us to our next destination for exploration.  Best of all, the planes (best I can tell) don't really have a strict layout, so it is essentially a pre-flavored custom setting that the DM could throw anything that fits into.  I'd be looking forward to visiting Sune's and Sharess' realms, if we indeed use the Forgotten Realms setting, though I'm fine with custom as well.

I'll probably think of a few later, but my tastes for other suggestions tend to lean away from the dark/gritty, as I don't find them quite as 'fun' as the more upbeat sorts of games.  I'd also be preferring a game not focused on 'gaining xp, uber loot, and combat,' since the constant 'game mechanics' tend to detract from the interaction and storyline.  This is, after all, supposed to be a game focused on interaction and fun, not on mechanics.  I will also add that I like romance in any game I play, so if anyone would be interested in my gal (mind you, she'd be interested in other women as well), then that would be absolutely wonderful!  As for rating, I'm fine with anything up to NC, though again a more lightweight setting so I don't expect there would be much NC going on to our characters (now by may be a different story depending on how things end up, but again not that often or extreme I'd imagine)

Sabriel

Neat it looks like we are all pretty much agreed on that D&D 3.5 is the way to go then :)

QuoteAnother idea would be to explore some of the alternate planes

This makes me think of a sort spin on a story Ive always thought would be interesting to explore, a sort of group of adventurers who travel about among the planes and perhaps time.  Ive always thought it might be amusing to do a sort of "Time Bandits" type group made up of a rag tag bunch of creatures who have got there hands on some magical item/artifact and been thrown into adventures and situations because of it, as well as the group growing as they picked up various different tag alongs on the way. 

I think one the great things about this idea is that it would allow everybody to be quite free in there choice of characters, they could all be from different places but still all united by a similar thing. Maybe there all exiles or joined the group of "travelers" for adventure or to get away from somthing, maybe they just got dragged along by mistake.  I think it makes a good sort of plot hook thing too because it almost limitless in its possiblities of where it could go story wise. 

It is a bit of a strange idea :P

Hunter

Depending on the campaign level, I may either dig out Gilgamesh (half dragon/half troll paladin, LA +8 btw) or Gaven (grey elven rogue/wizard).  We'll see, though.

Sabriel

I would personally rather not see loads of crossbreed/weird races, specially not ones that contain Dragon/Fiend/Celestial etc its  very old and tiresome.

grovercjuk

Looking at the previous posts maybe we could start in a large city and then stumble/get/steal an item that allows us to plane hop?
         And as we are putting in character concepts then. sadly a vanilla human but hopefully an enjoyable character.

Character Name        : Thersa Dlan AKA Tess
Character Race        : Human
Character Class       : Rogue
Character Alignment   : Neutral Good
Appearance            :
             Tess is around 5 feet 2 inches with flowing blonde hair that she normally has in a ponytail, sea green eyes and a very attractive face that has such an innocent expression. She is dressed in a dark blue tunic and trousers, the tunic doing little to hide her breasts as it is so tight, or the slim figure she has.  Just how her  clothing fits she seems to be unaware off, or does she?

She has a shortsword strapped to her waist and a backpack from which hangs a crossbow otherwise she seems to carry little to distinguish her.

Character Concept:
         Tess freely admits that unlike many of her fellow rouges she missed out on the poverty, the drunken parents, the dead parents and all that they used to explain why they stole. She came from well off parents, had plenty of money and a good education. Basically she just liked to steal and if a man was dumb enough to fall for her looks and mistook her hands on his body for lust rather than searching out his valuables then that was his tough luck.

Although she had this thing, this thing that she hated in herself, she just could not bring herself to steal from the poor. Of course she would rather die than admit she had a good side, instead she justified it on the grounds that what was the point in stealing a poor mans purse full of copper when a rich mans was full of gold. Still it was troubling but she was sure she would grow out of it.

Short Background:

Tess is the youngest daughter of Lord Dlan of North Wood Manor a respectable middle ranking noble family. Her brothers have done the family well, the eldest is showing great skill in managing the family estates, the younger is now A knight of The Rose and serving the cause of good well indeed.

Whilst she is well aware of what is intended for her, a good marriage. And whilst her girlfriends chatter on endlessly about this lord or that and who their family will marry Tess's thoughts are elsewhere. Moving quietly around their houses at night, items vanishing lead to more than one servant being dismissed for suspected theft whilst Tess rides home in her carriage the loot safety stashed in her bags.

But like all things her life is coming to and end, the heir to the Lordship of Merton has been selected as her prospective husband. Leaving Tess with the choice of marriage to a man who whilst rich has the facial appearance of a pig or leaving quietly in the night and heading for a life on the road.

Sabriel

OK ill throw a concept I have been wanting to play with recently, I can't really be sure this one would be best because until I know for sure the setting and such Id find it hard to settle on something, as that usually influences my decision at least a bit.

Character Name: Tonica Cannith
Character Race:  Human
Character Class: Artificer
Character Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Appearance: Tonica is 5ft 7 inches with auburn hair and bright green emerald eyes she has a warm welcoming almost noble face and full pert lips that give her a flirty appeal. Her hair is usually worn in braids and bunches and kept from falling in front or obscuring her face. She dresses for the occasion but is usually found  wearing the garb of her professions or decked out like she is ready for adventure, It is not uncommon for her to be seen with unusual implements or accessories at hand.

Character Concept:  Tonica is a noble of House Cannith and has developed the mark of her house, her parents had hoped to make a noble woman out of her but alas Tonica has always seamed more interested in work and adventure than politics and status.  Ironically however Tonica's spirit and dedication seams to be garnering her a good and well respectable reputation regardless of her common working girl outlook. Tonica 's trade as a craftswoman is one of her primary pursuits although she also spends a lot of her time working with and repairing warforged, she is well known for her friendly and motherly nature towards them and any constructs. When she is not busy in the workshops or forges or assisting warforged Tonica is working as a siege engineer, or accompanying warforged/constructs on missions for her house or other houses and occasionally as a mercenary for hire.     

Tonica is actually a character concept I have been wanting to try for awhile although her idea does sort of come with a extra character really, part of my idea for her is that she would have a warforged companion friend.  Now when I say this I don't mean she has her own personal bodyguard or something I mean she has an acquaintance who would be another player character not controlled by me or the Storyteller.  Of late there has been a bit of an awkward relationship developing between the two friends although Tonica is completely unaware of it, the awkwardness is purely in the fact that her warforged friend has got the idea into its head that there is something between the pair.  Obviously the fun here in there relationship is that Tonica is not all that aware at present of the situation and the warforged is looking to solve the problem and reveal and enhance the relationship. It might decide that it has to become something more than it is or gain a “gender” which might appeal more to Tonica or make her regard it as a possible partner. This is not at all motivated by purely sexual urges (pretty sure warforged don't have them :P), but the warforged might think that this is one of the things it needs to emulate in order to capture her heart truly. In relation to the whole plane jumping around idea I think this element could easily work with it, in that Tonica could be somewhat aware of her friends “quest” although oblivious to why. For example she might help the warforged try gain some sense of gender identity but not really ask why or relate it to anything to do with her.  Anyway that is my rather strange little idea.

grovercjuk

So you need a partner to play your character if I am reading your concept correctly? It is an interesting concept though, a hidden tension that one is unaware off, nice.   

So any ideas as to why our merry bunch are together? An idea would be that we are hired to obtain X and that X is what sends us off adventuring?

Sabriel

Well I don't actually need a partner to play her no :P I can easily do it without that bit and even create an entirely different character.

I mean she is a character without that part of her background, I just thought it could be something interesting to explore and it fits with her sort of personality and concept.   

I think if we was going with the planer hopping thing we could easily come up with a reason to be together, I think that is also a bit different from the usual being hired or sent off to do something.  That does allow everyone to sort of even come from different settings too, and allows for really varied reasons for being a part of the group.

An idea I had on that was that a few of use would of perhaps originally obtained the item, one the reasons I choose my Artificer concept was because of this, because she would make a good scapegoat to fool around with such a device.  So anyone who wanted to be a part of the original group would likely have to be from Ebberon, unless they perhaps ended up in Ebberon because of the device but it's original operator died or for some reason was lost in transport leaving anyone else brought along trapped there.  So other members could then have been perhaps picked up along the way either by mistake and then merged into the group or willingly joined up.

Muse

Do you have room for another, Sabriel? 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Sabriel

I am open to a bigger group yes although really Id say its what the group as a whole would prefer, we also have yet to find ourselves a storyteller whom id imagine would be the most likely single person to decide the best size for the group.

grovercjuk

What are you looking for in a storyteller?
As in someone who has a plot already worked out or one that will start off the group and then go wiht the flow of the group?

Sabriel

I personally I am just looking for someone who would like to tell the story and run things, I don't mind if they already have a plan in mind or if they go with the flow of the group. 

I think the main thing I would be looking for is common sense and a sense of respect for the story, which is pretty much what I look for in everyone else anyway.