Holy Grail War (system on debate, maybe BESM)

Started by Zaer Darkwail, January 10, 2014, 09:47:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zaer Darkwail

To avoid possible confusion I mean with the title a game which is based on Fate Stay Night, Fate/Zero and in general in Type-Moon universe called as Nasuverse. In this case game would be based on Holy Grail War, where magus fight each other using servants. It would occur a century after Fifth Holy Grail War as a new Grail had been rebuild (as old one was corrupted and destroyed and dismantled entirely) and now also there is some 'private media' presence in the contest (meaning Mage's Association runs it's own media which shows and also records each Holy Grail War both for entertainment and for record keeping).

Now I am not sure what 'system' such game would use, and definitely such game would hold PvP between players. Anyways for fun I found this servant generator (just type your RL name to get servant);

http://en.shindanmaker.com/263371

My case it would be Agrippina of the Caster class. While using my profile name I got King Arthur of Assassin class :P.

Anyways, as said system is up in air as idea is to get 'balanced' stats to all servants and resolve combat which is inevitable in Holy Grail War. I thought about BESM third edition with set score both for master and a servant (servants getting quite big number of points generate them).

Edit; Idea is that players who want be masters use above linked 'servant generator' to get name/identity of their servant and then they ask other player play as servant (and player who plays servant gets to generate the char or master does it if servant player is unfamiliar with BESM mechanics or such or lack of time).

Lynnette

I am very much interested in this, I love the VN for Fate/Stay Night as well as Fate/Zero (Fate/Stay night... Not so much, though UfoTable is remaking it, so that's something to look forward to) And I would love to be a part of this.

Using my real name, I got Karna of the archer class, while using my site name, I got Jack the Ripper of the Berserker class.
I'm available on Discord!
Feel free to message me if you want to chat
Lynnpai#4726

My O/O     My guide to set up a home server and Plex
My request thread

Zaer Darkwail

Nice servant concepts there :). Anyways idea is that we use RL name ones but for fun I checked what my user name would conjure. It seems RL names bring more varied 'legendary figures' while user names conjure more canon servants.

Zaer Darkwail

From checking BESM third edition rules, I would rule that the masters are 'heroic' mortals and so use 280 points in char gen. But when speaking heroic spirits (universally all of them; Gilgamesh, Arthur, Hercules etc) I would say they all have 700 points to use (Superpowered in BESM scale of char gen).

Also you can add flaws to get more points, mortals get only 10pts extra from flaws while heroic spirits can get 20pts worth of flaws.

But as said, if anyone has better ideas (and ones which I get access to), I am open ears. BESM third edition rules can be googled (I found a viewable PDF file).

Zaer Darkwail

Hmmm, not much interest it seems  :-\

Had hoped there could been more fans to series.

pendarious

I'm a big fan of the Nasuverse especially the Fate corner of it.

huh using my real name I get

Sasaki Kojiro of the Caster class

and my site name I get

Tamomo No Mae of the Caster Class

huh...seems I'm doomed to a caster no matter which way I go.
Psycho Mantis: You must spend every day pretending to act like you're falsely letting on that you aren't not unbetraying someone you don't not purport to allegedly not work for but really do! How do you keep all this shit straight without having an aneurysm?
Revolver Ocelot: *shrug* Practice.
—The Last Days Of FOXHOUND

Zaer Darkwail

Indeed it seems :P. Although I like Tamomo No Mae so you could pick her.

pendarious

awesome cuz I love her.

she's got a really depressing back story but in Fate Extra and Fate Extra CCC she's one of the funniest characters (if not a little morbid when you read between the lines)
Psycho Mantis: You must spend every day pretending to act like you're falsely letting on that you aren't not unbetraying someone you don't not purport to allegedly not work for but really do! How do you keep all this shit straight without having an aneurysm?

Zaer Darkwail

Yeah, she has indeed one saddest background stories but she is damn funny (and also gives plenty sex fun potential too ;)). As said you need roll master char and need player play her then.

pendarious

i'm not really familiar with the BESM system so i'll have to read up on that. i'll probably be able to have a character sheet ready around wednesday at earliest and next sunday at latest RL permitting mind you

Zaer Darkwail

Ok, no rush. Only you and ReaperDouble0 have shown interest so far, I hope in next week more folks notice this thread  ::)

Anyways, we use BESM third edition rules, google it up and you should get PDF about it.

It's basically building character (stats, skills and abilities) by points and then using 2d6 dice against specific target number. We also use Shock Value and Energy Points, Energy Points especially are important as they are mages prana which they use power up and use their spells, command seals or provide it to their servants to keep them active (or power up servant's abilities although it's not always to all their abilities but some are more costly to use). Servants usually lack energy points but some rare ones can have own pool of energy and some even regenerate it slowly.