Fantasy Game (NC-E)

Started by Rune, December 05, 2008, 07:47:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rune

Recently I have had the craving for a game set in a Fantasy World.  However, unlike many of the games here, I would like something a little grander than one on one scenarios. I envision multiple plot arcs and character stories that interweave with each other. I would like to see a entire fantasy community evolve with characters of differing motives and power levels.

I can see it taking place in a fantasy city. Slave trade will of course be legal. Mighty barbarians occasionally visit the city. Knights and Lords and Ladies rules over the city. Sorcerers and Warlocks delve into dark magic and summon lustful demons to do their bidding. Darkelves, ogres, minotaurs and nymphs are all available as character races.

Is there any interests in working with me to help breathe life into this? Would people prefer this to be freeform or a system based game?

Krule

This actually sounds interesting to me, what in particular would you have in mind?  Also, what's the difference between the wizards and the warlocks?  Could do this game system, or freeform, but if freeform, some basis and limits to magic would still be in order, I think.

Doomsday

Sounds interesting. Freeform would be preferable, because system games are usually driven by battles.

Rune

If freeform, it would have to be a light system like Savage Worlds, d6 Fantasy or even TFoS. But I agree that most of the game should be freeform to keep it from becoming a rulesfest.

I see wizards being more studious while warlocks get their powers from making deals with dark forces. Sorcerers on the other hand have innate talents.

Random

I could definitely see myself getting involved in this, if the interest is still out there. I have a mage character I've been developing for a while from another story that I could get involved here, or if you prefer someone a little more vulnerable, I can do that as well.

I prefer free form, but it's your party, whatever you'd like is fine with me. Just a precaution, though: I've never done system, so a little patience will need to be had while I figure it out, if you'll have me.

Tad

I'd be interested, if this gets off the ground.
In the process of moving, so posts may be slow
Need an idea?        Ons and Offs

Mystic Dragon

Interest here! I prefer a structured system, but I agree about that leading to battling. I'd rather have a can do/can't do and progression type of rules.
"Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici"
"In our world, all the Redheads have chainsaws"
"Nightmares never last. One day you wake up and they're gone"

Thufir Hawat

I might be interested, but it would have to be rather good, since I already have a few games ;).

But obviously, I have missed something in my gaming education. I was playing for several years now, and I didn't know that system games have more fighting - go figure, I had quite the opposite experience ;D!
Join The System Gamers List
Request thread 1 Request thread 2
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs
"Love is a negative form of hatred." - Roger Zelazny, This Immortal

A&A thread!

slavemarkira

I'd be interested!  I'd prefer freeform or very light rules myself, did rules for years, love freeform so much more.
Ons and Offs
Rabbithole
[url=https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?

Vandren

I could be potentially interested.

QuoteI see wizards being more studious while warlocks get their powers from making deals with dark forces. Sorcerers on the other hand have innate talents.

So, wizards do (not) require talent, but spend time learning a lot.  Warlocks summon, bind, or otherwise deal with other beings.  Sorcerers . . . by innate talents do you mean like "fantasy supers" or sort of wizards on steroids?

Also, any specific limits to what sorcery, wizardry, etc. can do?  And, finally, because it's one of my big interests, any werecritters and rules/whatnot regarding them?

As far as system v. freeform: either's good for me.  They have their pros and cons . . . for instance, about the only system that's not setting specific I'll play is GURPS (3rd ed by preference, 4th I can muddle my way through).  Systems give some hard and fast numeric differences between power levels (and potential OOC arguments about rule technicalities).  On the other hand, freeform tends to draw more players (and potential OOC arguments about what characters do).
"Life is growth.  If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." -Morihei Ueshiba, O-Sensei

consortium11

Defintely interested.

Prefer free-form but would be happy to go for a light system.

Cedrick

This sounds interesting. I look forward to some more detail on how you vision it to work.

A central location where the characters meet, move off in groups, and return to form different groups by the end of the previous story?

I also prefer free form with some allows/not allowed or light rules.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breaths away

<a href="https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=62526.msg2810491#msg2810491
<a href=" https://elliquiy.com/forums">
Cedrick Please Read

Xaria

I would also be interested in a grand fantasy game and like many others prefer freeform with some light guidance, for example: Magical Dagger +1 = good, Megadeathwavedemonkillerfirefrostbrand +20 = bad.

Duchess

i never did system so don't know how it work  but if you set clear rules about the usage of powers in freeform it can work out very good, like a wizard cant acquire a new talent out of his backpack in less than 2 seconds, they have to learn it in a previous post before or at least have it in their character sheet as a already learned ability? idk just an opinion

besides i would like to take on a nymph character if its freeform

Myrleena

I'd probably be interested in something like you're describing.  The thing is that I'd prefer a light system, so that there are guidelines for magic.

ShamshielDF

If you're looking for systems that are pretty light on rules, but allow for a pretty wide variety for powers, abilities and such, I would suggest Amber DRPG.  Its a bit esoteric and written for Roger Zelazny's Amber universe, but is pretty easy to adopt for anything.  I have both of the books published for it and could be convinced to give a summary of the mechanics ^_^
Ons and offs!
President of the CharlieSariel fanclub ^_^
A&A

Krule

Hmm.. that's a workable system, but would we still do the bidding?

LadySky

This sounds just like what I am looking for. I however am VERY new to this so I would require patience and some help along the way while learning. Sounds like a great storyline!

I dreamed a dreamed, life has killed the dream I dreamed. So....I dream a NEW DREAM!!! never let them see you cry.

ShamshielDF

I don't know that the bidding would really be workable through a PBP system.  I, personally, feel that it would probably work better if players simply assigned their points as desired.  It really depends on the flavor of the game that you're wanting to run.  If you want something where players will be working against one another often, it may be best if the attributes are kept only between the player and the DM.
Ons and offs!
President of the CharlieSariel fanclub ^_^
A&A

Foxy

I would be interested.  I would be fine with system light with some guidance on the power level. Like someone who would be equal to a 7th or something level character from AD&D.

Now if we play monsters, I would love to play a djinni that is in a ring or in a bottle. I would just need a mistress or master. I could be found or something.  I could also be a weak djinni that can only do so much in stead of the normal 3 wish thing.

Kroduk

So VERY Interested. Dibs on Minotaur!
Ons and Offs

How can I be lost,
If I've got nowhere to go?
Search for seas of gold
How come it's got so cold?
How can I be lost?
In remembrance I relive.
And how can I blame you
When it's me I can't forgive?

Jack Shade

I to, am interested.

I'll keep an eye on this to see what develops...I personally want doppelganger if we play monster...if not...who knows.

Heh.

Starfox

I'd be interested as well. I'd prefer freeform, or some light d20 variant.

Chrissie

Hi!  I'm am new and would be interested in playing when you get things started.  Freeform is good for me.

Starfox

Any news on this game? System or freeform picked?