What's in the news?

Started by Beorning, September 21, 2014, 07:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Renegade Vile

Quote from: Lilias on June 13, 2016, 08:32:25 AM
I absolutely love school uniforms. They do away with all the debate and drama over what is and is not appropriate, and level a few social and financial differences into the bargain, as well. Everyone wears the same thing, end of story, now concentrate on your lessons!

My wife mentioned the social/financial differences thing, and mentioned it doesn't really work because the poorer kids will still be wearing less clean and tidy outfits (her personal experience, not mine) so if it's an attempt to level the playing field and stop bullying in that regard, is it really that effective?
No-one really bothers anyone about clothes over here. Most kids just wear... regular clothes? In the broadest possible sense of the word.

Quote from: Lilias on June 13, 2016, 08:32:25 AM
As for the whole gender-neutral uniform thing... I can't see many boys going for skirts. Those things are uncomfortable when you want to run and play around! Not to mention cold. (Which is why most girls go for trouser options at least half of the year.)

It's good that girls aren't restricted to skirts. Not just for the whole gendered clothing thing, but more because I know for a fact some girls would not be comfortable showing their legs for a variety of reasons.
<< Unavailable for New Games >>

Aethereal

I detested having to wear a skirt in classes 1-6, for multiple reasons... (Though mostly inconvenience during winter and inability to sit and walk properly.)

I also don't find that school uniforms are the financially better option, since you can't really wash your uniform every day (our shirt/stockings were also regulated), so you needed multiple sets, there wasn't really proper fit if you had even slightly nonstandard body type, god forbid you got any permanent stains on anything or made a hole into something...
           Basically, you were just forced to buy a shelf's worth of pointlessly expensive clothes (you could find *four* full sets of completely new-looking clothes from a second-hand store for the price of one uniform at that time) that you basically couldn't wear anywhere else.
           My other school, two-three pairs of jeans, a handful formal shirts, and you were set for both school and other events you needed semi-OK clothes for.

Renegade Vile

Quote from: Shienvien on June 13, 2016, 09:12:39 AM
           I detested having to wear a skirt in classes 1-6, for multiple reasons... (Though mostly inconvenience during winter and inability to sit and walk properly.)

I also don't find that school uniforms are the financially better option, since you can't really wash your uniform every day (our shirt/stockings were also regulated), so you needed multiple sets, there wasn't really proper fit if you had even slightly nonstandard body type, god forbid you got any permanent stains on anything or made a hole into something...
           Basically, you were just forced to buy a shelf's worth of pointlessly expensive clothes (you could find *four* full sets of completely new-looking clothes from a second-hand store for the price of one uniform at that time) that you basically couldn't wear anywhere else.
           My other school, two-three pairs of jeans, a handful formal shirts, and you were set for both school and other events you needed semi-OK clothes for.

Indeed, those are other points my wife brought up on the subject of school uniforms.

Lilias

I suppose the situation is different in different countries. :-) In the UK, given that practically all children between 4-16 wear school uniform, the staples (anything without school badges on) are produced in bulk and exempt from VAT, thus dirt cheap. They are also not made to last, as they are outgrown within a year, but treated to withstand a lot of punishment. I have a rambunctious boy who has practically lived in uniform for four years now and has zero consideration for such stuff. He has still to ruin a uniform item - no busted seams, no hems coming down, no permanent stains on his whites - and it's not for lack of trying! He's managed to get a pair of jeans (that cost about as much as his year's supply of school trousers) ripped beyond repair, just by taking a tumble, but his uniforms always survive to be given away at the end of the year.
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Oniya

Our high school has the kids divided into 'Small Learning Communities'  Two of them have uniforms (little Oni is in one of those). 

The pros: 
Pretty sensible clothing options (and gender neutral) They have a year-round shirt and a choice of trousers or skirt/skort.
No 'hours' spent deciding what to wear.
No arguments about 'dress code'.

The cons:
There's actually one big con, and that's the fact that there is a single store that stocks the uniform shirts (which have logos, so it's not like you can 'make do' with a simple store-brand substitute).  It's not convenient to get to, and they were more expensive than I expected.  We got help from my parents and got her a set of five shirts that I wash every week, but I can see other families not having that option.

On the plus side, the little Oni seems to have inherited my growth patterns.  I may not have to buy a new set next year.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Beorning

I've always hated school uniforms. I've had to wear one (an ugly blue smock kind of thing with a white collar) and I detested it. It made us looks stupid and it crushed our individuality.

As I look at modern school uniforms, I can't help thinking that they are, quite often, so bad! They make people look stupid...

I really felt bed for the British kids that, quite often, had to wear suits and ties to school...

Lilias

Quote from: Beorning on June 13, 2016, 04:20:48 PM
I really felt bed for the British kids that, quite often, had to wear suits and ties to school...

Not suits, just blazers. They still do, generally, in secondary school. But the grumbling has gone down considerably since Harry Potter. ;)
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Cycle on June 13, 2016, 04:52:24 PM
U.S. Apaches join the battle against ISIS in Iraq.

Glorious. Show them the sword of freedom shall strike ten times as hard as anything they can throw out  8-)

Cycle

Quote from: Lustful Bride on June 13, 2016, 09:26:06 PM
Show them the sword of freedom shall strike ten times as hard as anything they can throw out  8-)

Renegade Vile

Quote from: Cycle on June 13, 2016, 10:20:51 PM

Even if that wasn't a gun and only the sensor and pilot suddenly turned to look at you, that'd still be terrifying.

TaintedAndDelish

There's something strangely phallic about that. >.>

TaintedAndDelish

Renegade Vile

Quote from: TaintedAndDelish on June 14, 2016, 04:05:20 AM
French police chief and partner killed in stabbing claimed by Isis
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jun/13/french-policeman-stabbed-death-paris

Dear lord, that's absolutely horrifying for the child; I can't begin to imagine what the boy is going through now.

Renegade Vile

TaintedAndDelish

The Mirror (UK) and The Wire (In) are reporting this. The Mirror is a tabloid, and I don't really know about The Wire. I'd feel better if Reuters reported this.

Renegade Vile

Quote from: TaintedAndDelish on June 14, 2016, 04:20:01 AM
The Mirror (UK) and The Wire (In) are reporting this. The Mirror is a tabloid, and I don't really know about The Wire. I'd feel better if Reuters reported this.

Not only that, but their source is a media outlet that supports IS so it's even more questionable. Not the first time it's been reported either, apparently.

Lilias

Quote from: Renegade Vile on June 14, 2016, 04:07:09 AM
Dear lord, that's absolutely horrifying for the child; I can't begin to imagine what the boy is going through now.

Well, this was just the other day (may have been mentioned upthread).
~Wendell Berry

Avis habilis

Lustful Bride

Renegade Vile

TheGlyphstone

QuoteWauchulaGhost, who for some strange reason did not want to give his real name,

I love it when news writers are allowed to get snarky.

Oniya

I was amused by the #Daeshbags hashtag.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17