WH40000 - what's your opinion?

Started by Beorning, August 09, 2014, 03:58:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HairyHeretic

Datacards for the contents of the starter set are up on a Warhammer Community post from the FW open day

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/05/27/warhammer-fest-live-blog/

Stuff that caught my eye
Poxwalkers - Kill an enemy infantry model, add a new Pox walker. I can see the zombie horde tactic proving very popular
Lord of Contagion - Nurgles Gift. All Death Guard within 7" are surround by deadly diseases. Any model within 1" of any of them at the start of the turn takes a mortal wound on a 4+
Plasma weapons also seem to have two fire modes. No chance of overload on regular fire (S7), overcharged (S8) blows up as normal on a 1
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

wander

Picked up Skirmish today from Geedubs, they were showing off the new models from the 8th edition box, they look sexy af... So glad I'm collecting Death Guard right now and the Primaris Marines look pretty awesome, if a lil jarring with slightly long legs.

I was told that the five books with the lists are gonna be dirt cheap to get more people involved, will likely have some fluff but will be mostly datafiles.
So, I'd say each is cheaper than a codex at least, maybe at most £15 each I would guess personally, I reckon they'll be less than that though. If they're around a fiver like Skirmish was, I'm probably gonna buy more than the Chaos book to check out some other armies, though my mate will be getting Xenos II as he plays Tau (now called T'au for maximum copyright) so I can likely check out a few xenos lists from him.

I have my eye on the Poxwalkers...  ;D
Seems like Plasma took a leaf out of what they're like in Necromunda... I reckon with that new overloading rule they'll actually be worth the points now.  :-)

HairyHeretic

I'm pretty sure the prices of the books have already been leaked. I think they're in around the £15 mark, though I'd have to go digging a bit to check. I expect I'll pick up some of the others over time, as I have IG and can field Space Wolves.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

wander

Hm, if that's the case I'll leave it at just Chaos, though I may snag the Imperium one at a later date if they have (some good) fluff in them. Because they're gonna do codexes later and I shall put money on most of them being £30 and up when they start to come in.

There was a batt rep of Skirmish uploaded to youtube today, 50 renown game and it was done in just under half an hour at the end of the first turn. I've already made up two Chaos warbands. The Slaanesh one I made is more powerful, though I'm growing out of Slaanesh tbh.
The 2nd one was Slaves of Darkness based; a Darkoath Chieftain leading (Bravery 8), 2 chaos warhounds and 5 chaos marauders makes up 25 renown exactly.

Seems also getting around some troops abysmal Bravery (aka Ld in 40K; Ungors and Skaven Clanrats having 4) is that the Battleshock tests are all Bravery 5 as a DC if the Hero dies (otherwise it goes off the Hero's Bravery, which means having a Herald daemon or something Bravery 10 is a neat idea)...
Daemons are bordering on broken for this really, as Magic is strong af and kinda OP... Heralds get Bravery 10 and they're wizards so they can dispel enemy wizard spells... However, the more able daemons cost a lot of renown.

Death seems to have little in ranged combat, Destruction seems fun though you'd probably have to have Grots as your main doods and Order has quite a few costly models so their warbands look to be smaller than most others. You can't go pure Stormcast on 25 renown either, so alliances with other Order forces are a thing if you want any Stormcast sigmarines in your warband.

wander

Spikey Bits has shown some scans of leaked points lists. Going also from natfka blogspot and the leaks there for the Primaris Marines, there have been some changes with how much certain models are worth (also the Primaris cost a lot, you're looking at the same cost of as 8th edition CSM elite choices, around 25-35pts per model before extras get placed on the squad, meaning squads of 5 cost over 100pts without upgrades.).

It looks like from going over the Chaos Marine list I'm gonna have to adjust my 500pt list, bikes are now 31pts each, same as Terminators (the latter are in min. squads of 5 now). Looks like I'll probably take Raptors (17pts each) as a Fast Attack now, or maybe the Foetid Plague Drone (99 each) has decent movement! ^^; A Predator (102) also looks tempting...

Base cultists and CSMs/Havocs are unchanged (of course Chosen and Raptors cost more, same as now), Poxwalkers cost 6pts to Cultists 5 each, though I'd rather have Poxwalkers than MoN'd cultists as a tarpit.

No idea how the costs of the Marks have been tweaked as of yet. I'd take a guess and say not much if any though, they seemed pretty legit cost-wise as is really.

Because bikes got bumped up, looks like my bikers are gonna be gathering some dust. Though I guess we'll see in just over a fortnight when the full splatbooks come out and I tweak my current list to 8th edition standard.

TheLaughingOne

... note to self. Buy large lot of catachan bare chest torsos, semi bare arms and legs, and some eldar pointy helmets.. Build models... when playing game, deep strike in custodes allies made from largely naked guy parts while playing.. https://youtu.be/R9w_uoUHgiE?list=PLyiDf91_bTEgnBN0jAvzNbqzrlMGID5WA&t=98
My Ons and Offs!

You! On our wavelength! Carry our message, its heavy! Made of rocks!! Apocolypso dancing! SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY! You'll want to cut your wrists with the whole knife, but you'll only need the edge!

wander

Lol, classic series.  ;D

So, 40k has gone on preorder today, the index books are £15 each, so I'll be picking up the Chaos one later this month, though Canhammer on youtube has leaked pages and pages of every book, for those interested pretty much every datafile and point cost has been shown. Apparently Geedubs wanted the info out there, so it makes me think a few of these 'leaks' are intentional to build up the hype.

Didn't realise you need to add weapon costs to model costs, so for sure playing basic CSMs now. Sad that Marks of Chaos don't really do anything outside of being a keyword that your HQ can potentially offer buffs too (you could also get an ally detachment of daemons of your Mark in too and have some buffs from that too).

The more choice weapons bump up doods, which I'm mostly happy about as armour may be worth a damn now, between cover bonuses and armour pen being mainly on weapons that cost a bit.

Bikes really got bumped in price, adding in their base cost with the combi-bolter on it. So, I'm replacing my Bikers with a Raptor Squad, add in two flamers for dat 2d6 auto-hit goodness before considering the bolt pistol shots when smashing down at 9" range from the enemy for some FUN*.  >:)

Seriously though, flamers and other former template weapons are super OP, considering you can roll to wound vehicles on say, a 5 or 6+ and you get multiple auto-hits, meaning you can chip tough things down pretty quickly packing one in your squad, if you get close enough of course.

Also as I have Nurgle CSMs, I'm getting a Lord on a Palanquin for HQ. Easy conversion there, using biker legs (thank Nurgle I never got round to building my Bikers up) for a custom posed and shiny painted CSM positioned to be riding atop a Nurgling base. Has a nice reroll hits of 1 for any Nurgle unit within 6"... I'll miss the Sorceror and weapon virusing, though I'm cool with it.

So, I got a 500pt CSM patrol detachment (3 CP) ready to go.

(Also pretty much every vehicle is expensive points-wise now, including the Rhino which can cost over a 5-man squad on it's own, without considering it's weapons. They do have great toughness, save and lots of wounds, though it's a single model and a lascannon can damage the model enough that with it's damage table, it's gonna have crap move and BS etc after a good strong hit.)

HairyHeretic

Quote from: TheLaughingOne on June 03, 2017, 10:57:45 AM
... note to self. Buy large lot of catachan bare chest torsos, semi bare arms and legs, and some eldar pointy helmets.. Build models... when playing game, deep strike in custodes allies made from largely naked guy parts while playing.. https://youtu.be/R9w_uoUHgiE?list=PLyiDf91_bTEgnBN0jAvzNbqzrlMGID5WA&t=98

I can only assume those are based on the Rogue Trader era Custodes model / pics.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

TheLaughingOne

Quote from: HairyHeretic on June 03, 2017, 03:24:01 PM
I can only assume those are based on the Rogue Trader era Custodes model / pics.

Mmmmmmmmmyep.
My Ons and Offs!

You! On our wavelength! Carry our message, its heavy! Made of rocks!! Apocolypso dancing! SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY! You'll want to cut your wrists with the whole knife, but you'll only need the edge!

HairyHeretic

I think I may have one of those models around somewhere. I know I used to anyway.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

TheLaughingOne

hehe, could probably find them easily enough (though possibly expensive) on ebay.. but i like kitbashing my own models together. for SWA im making an inquisitor army, inquisitor has Mrk 3 power armor set bits, head from some other mini set (dreamforge games, Eisenkern storm trooper head), dark angels storm bolter, and power maul, troops are unmade and still in "design" (surfing ebay for bits going "oohh... This looks cool.. but costs way to much..) and crusaders are Tempus scions torso bits, possibly legs as well, and so on and forth.

Im even making a pathfinder KT of Gue'vasa thats mix of human and tau bits (tau torso and pulse carbines, ect with arms of slightly smaller human minis that fit the scale)
My Ons and Offs!

HairyHeretic

There are plenty of 3rd party stores out there that produce really useful conversion bits, heads and shoulder pads being particularly popular. I really enjoy converting as well, but painting is a chore for me.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

HairyHeretic

So, who else picked up 8th ed today then? Got any games in yet?

Cattle die, kinsmen die

TheLaughingOne

I got 8th, and 2 imp indexes, but no games, all my friends live out of town, though we are mostly geared for shadow war armageddon.
My Ons and Offs!

wander

Last night Geedubs finally dropped the free rules, so I've been looking at that pdf. Me and my mate are planning to pick the rulebook and our relevant indexes next weekend. However we know what's up thanks to the spoils.

Some pointers; Objectives now get contested based on who has more models 3" near them, so horde models and sides with generally more people in their lists are going to benefit from that.

The free rule pdf mission 'Only War' has a point of stating the Underdog decides who goes first, which is something of strategic value. I've heard that in some missions whoever finished deploying first will decide who goes first... That is very big, as getting to act first can really decide who has more control of the battlefield.

RAW state that Morale tests only happen if your unit lost models on that particular turn. So if a unit loses some models in turn 1, it'd roll morale. Now if it doesn't lose any doods in turn 2, even though there are some doods missing from the prior turn, they don't roll morale for turn 2. If they lose some again in turn 3 however, then a fresh morale test needs to be made, though it only counts models slain in that turn.

So if a squad of 10 plague marines lose 4 models including their champ, then they roll a 4 on morale, that's a total of 8. At Ld 7, they lose another 1. The 5 that are left don't take any additional casualties in turn 2, so they don't need to make a morale check. Then in turn 3, they lose 2 doods and then roll a 6, so for a total of 8 (2+6 vs Ld 7), they lose 1 dood, reducing them to 2 plague marines.

With everything now on the table, I'll be forming my revised army list alongside my friend with his in a sit-down session, because it's so easy to out-cheese another army if you lean too hard on horde numbers or putting a load of points into a particularly expensive death-dealer model. Shaking hands beforehand over a general equal number of models and units or at least coming to an agreement that you're okay with what your opponent will be fielding has become a lil more important.

Lustful Bride

I find it a lot easier to understand the 40K verse via videos. So until now I had no idea just how bad the situation was, the galaxy split in half.

TheLaughingOne

oohh! I havent had much chance to read my book... But did they go through with the night of a thousand rebellions??
My Ons and Offs!

HairyHeretic

Basically you have a massive warp rift more or less cut the Imperium in two. The ones on the far side from the Astronomican aren't enjoying the situation ;) Then papa Smurf takes the primaris marines on a century long crusade, which helps a lot.

The timeline has been advanced, tying in the stuff from the 7th ed warzone books, the Wrath of Magnus, The Gathering Storm and so on.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

wander

Talking about the century long crusade that Rowboat sent his 'I got them preordered as soon as I made friends with the R&D peeps' Trumarines out on, I'm fairly sure the Gathering Storm was supposed to kick off the 13th Crusade on Year 999.M41...

So, given 8th edition is set after the Gathering Storm and Rowboat has his 100 years of 'I'm gonna step foot over the line of the house splitting things equal that Abby painted right here because I wanna smash Morty really hard for Pops Nurgle messing up my home turf...' are we looking at now being in the year 41,099?

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: wander on June 22, 2017, 05:46:01 PM
Talking about the century long crusade that Rowboat sent his 'I got them preordered as soon as I made friends with the R&D peeps' Trumarines out on, I'm fairly sure the Gathering Storm was supposed to kick off the 13th Crusade on Year 999.M41...

So, given 8th edition is set after the Gathering Storm and Rowboat has his 100 years of 'I'm gonna step foot over the line of the house splitting things equal that Abby painted right here because I wanna smash Morty really hard for Pops Nurgle messing up my home turf...' are we looking at now being in the year 41,099?

nah, they probably just moved the timeline back 112 years. now the crusade ends in 999m41, and the 13th BC was a century earlier.

HairyHeretic

It does say that he couldn't actually figure out what year it really was. The Imperium is that bad about record keeping, and assorted other shenanigans, the actual year could be anywhere within a century or two.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

greenknight

Quote from: HairyHeretic on June 22, 2017, 07:48:56 PM
It does say that he couldn't actually figure out what year it really was. The Imperium is that bad about record keeping, and assorted other shenanigans, the actual year could be anywhere within a century or two.
And time gets funny in the warp....
When you bang your head against the wall, you don't get the answer, you get a headache.

O/O: https://elliquiy.com/forums/onsoffs.php?u=46150

wander

I got my copy of the rulebook today, so I'm gonna have a big read-up of the fluff stuff this weekend now.

That's actually super-fitting to the setting that the Administratum are that overworked it could be any old year now... Also nicely means Geedubs can further the plot and not worry about running out of minutes on the doomsday clock. ^^;

greenknight

Quote from: wander on June 23, 2017, 01:32:42 PM
I got my copy of the rulebook today, so I'm gonna have a big read-up of the fluff stuff this weekend now.

That's actually super-fitting to the setting that the Administratum are that overworked it could be any old year now... Also nicely means Geedubs can further the plot and not worry about running out of minutes on the doomsday clock. ^^;
I wanna see what the Emprah has to say about that on his text to speech device ;D
When you bang your head against the wall, you don't get the answer, you get a headache.

O/O: https://elliquiy.com/forums/onsoffs.php?u=46150

wander

I just got through the two-parter of that series where he gives the history of the galaxy, it was one of the most amazing things I ever saw, I didn't think it could get better than Kitten's MASSIVE rant on the Tau...  :D

Anyone going to be joining any store leagues? There's one near me where they're doing armies based on Power Points (not the biggest fan, though I'm warming up to them a little for more chill fun games), totalling 50. It's a nice number as that puts a lot of special characters and more awesome choices on the table.

A quick Death Guard 50PP force can run me Typhus and either a Battallion or an Outrider Detachment, depending.

Also, I'd like Ku'Gath and Mortarion models soon.  ;D