Sword Art Redux (Seeking F Characters for Group Balance)

Started by Daril, July 13, 2013, 10:34:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charlemagne

Quote from: Silk on August 12, 2013, 03:50:45 PM
I think your character will be ok, if pend has issue with it, just be prepared for ammendments :) No point keeping you out of the game longer than needed.

Alright then. I'll make an intro post sometime tonight then.

zergmuncher

I've been pretty busy travelling and such but i'll be able to post more often now that i'm getting settled. Although RL may steal me every so often.

pendarious

to Daril: I think your trying to make things more complex than they need to be really. As far as updating your sheets goes I admit that is a bit of a problem so I'll just ask that you all send me the updates via PM and I'll update them on the first page (This is also making it a little more complicated than necessary admittedly)

to ItsOzone Daisuke is fine 

in regards to switching out weapons as silk said the skill will be slightly lower unless you constantly fight to improve your skills (those will go up the most)

To Silk: Actually throwing and your daggers shouldn't be lower than anyone else's skills as long as you fight by throwing and then running in for close range to try and moderate the two.
Psycho Mantis: You must spend every day pretending to act like you're falsely letting on that you aren't not unbetraying someone you don't not purport to allegedly not work for but really do! How do you keep all this shit straight without having an aneurysm?
Revolver Ocelot: *shrug* Practice.
—The Last Days Of FOXHOUND

Daril

I do have a tendency to make things complicated sometimes.  But in the case of character profiles I think having a separate thread can actually simplify things.  Its going to be a huge pain if every player has to PM you every time they need to add or subtract something from their character's inventory. :P

pendarious

I don't mean to sound like an ass but since it's bugging Daril so much let's take a vote

should I separate the character sheets from the OOC thread and have you all update your character sheets yourselves

or

Should I move them all to the first post of the OOC thread and take the time to update your sheets for you as you go so that you don't have to trouble yourselves with it

I do understand that by me updating the sheets it takes an aspect from you guys but then again If i'm doing it at least you guys will know I'm keeping track of everyone on a definitive basis.

Psycho Mantis: You must spend every day pretending to act like you're falsely letting on that you aren't not unbetraying someone you don't not purport to allegedly not work for but really do! How do you keep all this shit straight without having an aneurysm?

Charlemagne

Quote from: pendarious on August 13, 2013, 08:17:03 PM
I don't mean to sound like an ass but since it's bugging Daril so much let's take a vote

should I separate the character sheets from the OOC thread and have you all update your character sheets yourselves

or

Should I move them all to the first post of the OOC thread and take the time to update your sheets for you as you go so that you don't have to trouble yourselves with it

I do understand that by me updating the sheets it takes an aspect from you guys but then again If i'm doing it at least you guys will know I'm keeping track of everyone on a definitive basis.

I think we should just keep things simple. I believe all of our CSs are on the OOCs front page. We can edit them ourselves. Or, we can edit our own in the other thread dedicated to CSs alone.

This will prevent Pend from being burned out on constant updating of everyone's profile. Also, I think I can assume we're all moderately skilled RPers here, so we can describe the relevant things about our current situation ICly. Such as passive skills/equipped gear, etc. Of course, I doubt anyone will GodMod and say "Oh yea so he switched to Mjolnir (or some other OP weapon) while no one was looking."

And lastly, it could also prevent people from being too 'informed'. In the manga and the anime, you couldn't see the stats of other people unless you were over their shoulder, watching them slide through their items and skills.

Oops. This turned into a mini rant. I'm just gonna stop.

AribethAmkiir

I'm good with the current way it's setup.  I'll likely require Pen's help adding stats to my character anyway.  I've also been in plenty of games where the character sheets are never current.  As long as it doesn't burn Pen out, I think that him having control over updating the sheets is wise.

Jebble212

I'm indifferent either way but I don't want anyone overloaded if it could be avoided. I plan on keeping track of my stats in a document anyway.

Silk

Format I'm not too worried about. As for the leveling up. why not have it like 100 exp per leve (for example) l that the characters get to spend in what they want, with Pend rewarding bonuses if he feels it's worthwhile. Will leave us with 10 maxed skills minimum by floor 100

Daril

The main issue with simply doing things as is is what happens if someone new joins in later -unlike our profiles, there's will not be on the first page.  As for why I'd wanted a separate thread rather than Pendarious just copying our profiles and updating them himself, well... if I'm going to be completely honest one of the major reasons is because I'm prone to making a lot of little tweaks to things.

AribethAmkiir

Why aren't we discussing this in the OOC?

Also, if a new player joins they could simply PM Pen their sheet and he can post it with the others.  As for being able to "tweak" your sheet whenever you want, I think that could lead to a lot of misinterpretations, especially if someone had "200 straight sword" one day and "0 straight sword" the next.  I'm sure the game has a way to reassign the skill points, but I think any changes to the sheets after the first floor should only happen with Pen's approval.

Daril

I actually wouldn't mind Pend being in the loop on character profile changes as there's a lot of vaguery in my mind about what's appropriate at different levels.  However unless he pretty much flat out takes over when it comes to planning our character builds that could see him being asked quite a few questions -would he be able to handle that?  Also if there was quite a bit of discussion between us and Pend regarding our character builds that could itself justify the creation of a character thread.  I know I'm kind of reluctant to get into a nitty-gritty discussion about the archery skills system I've been coming up with in the middle of a thread people should be using to plan what's going to happen next in the game (right now I think the priority for the OOC thread should be sorting out who is going to up with whom after we jump to Floor 2).

AribethAmkiir

Understandable.  I just think this thread should be used for recruitment purposes and the OOC thread should be used for everything OOC.

pendarious

well I've seen threads locked or moved by the sites admins for being too much of an OOC thread so I'll make one more OOC type comment here and then from here on ALL OOC material goes in the OOC thread.

because constant tweaking of a sheet could cause issues and I don't want to find a blue million changes to characters while I'm in the middle of figuring stuff out I'm just going to take control of the sheets. As for updating I'm not going to do anything to the characters without first consulting the player that the character belongs to. Yes I am doing the editing but YOU will decide how your skill points are to be spent not me therefor you still control how your characters are built.

also in regards to skill point re-assignment sadly SAO doesn't have a system like that....the points are there once they are there. once you change your skills they start back at 0 and you have to do the work to level them up from scratch but the skills you've already worked on will remain at the level you left them. As for the stats like strength, dex and all that what not as I said before one would assume the skill points would be put to what is necessary for the way you want to build the characters so I have no concerns as to where those skill points go All I care about is how much you use you skills to level them up and gain access to more sword skills and what not.

NotoriusBEN

Im just curious if you guys wanted another writer for the SAO game. I'll put a character in the character thread, anyways.

pendarious