News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

The Pope gives his resignation.

Started by xenondestroyer, February 11, 2013, 06:59:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RubySlippers

Quote from: TaintedAndDelish on February 11, 2013, 06:33:36 PM
Uuhh... Isn't the whole pope thing supposed to be a divine calling? Isn't he supposed to believe and trust in his god's divine plan? Is giving up then, as sinful as a man divorcing his wife ( whom god joined and thus cannot be separated ) ?

Perhaps the rules only apply to the lemming followers but not to those who run the cult.

Not a biggy god talked to him or something and he felt a Call to some other vocation even not in the robes he will hold value as a scholar and theologian in the faith, and then god will pick a replacement.

gaggedLouise

Celestine V, after he stepped down, immediately got jailed by his successor, the ruthless, somewhat powermad Boniface VIII - who was also partly responsible for having Dante sentenced to death by his home city Florence, and thereby securing that the poet (and politician) spent the rest of his years in exile. It must have irked in Dante to stitch a prophesy into the Divine Comedy that Boniface would go to hell, but in the end he abstained...  ;) Perhaps he felt Boniface had been humiliated enough anyway; the eighty-year old man was sought out by two of his enemies, urged to abdicate and, according to legend, slapped in the face with an iron glove...

Quote from: WikipediaIn 1303, Philip /the king of France/ and Nogaret were excommunicated. However, on 7 September 1303, an army led by Nogaret and Sciarra Colonna surprised Boniface at his retreat in Anagni. The King and the Colonnas demanded his resignation; Boniface VIII responded that he would "sooner die". In response, Colonna allegedly slapped Boniface, a "slap" historically remembered as the schiaffio di Anagni ("Anagni slap").

Boniface was beaten badly and nearly executed, but was released from captivity after three days. He died of kidney stones and humiliation on 11 October 1303. There were rumors he had died of suicide from "gnawing through his own arm" and bashing his skull into a wall.

They don't make 'em like they used to...

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Oniya

Dante condemned most of his personal enemies to hell.  I'm a little surprised that Boniface didn't make it (Schismatics or Simoniacs would be my guess).
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Oniya on February 11, 2013, 09:19:40 PM
Dante condemned most of his personal enemies to hell.  I'm a little surprised that Boniface didn't make it (Schismatics or Simoniacs would be my guess).

Agree, but for some reason he kept off mentioning the very man who had sentenced him and his friends too (jn their absence, many of them), and who had become sort of the Joe McCarthy of the party that had taken over in Florence. You'd think that guy'd have been a prominent man in hell. Unless there was a reference to him that was edited out by copyists soon after Dante died (Inferno was published a few years before his death,  but the text tradition isn't failsafe in any way - this is the age of handwritten books)

gaggedLouise

Anyway, and back on topic from Dante's Hell, I don't think it's likely that the cardinals would settle for a 'very young man' in Vatican terms - a guy of fifty or so. The new man will be expected to stay in office until he dies and they wouldn't want to appoint someone who could likely sit for thirty years or more and outlast most of the present cardinals. They'll pick someone who is near seventy, I think.

Chris Brady

Quote from: Rhapsody on February 11, 2013, 09:42:21 AM
That's a question that crops up quite frequently: why aren't priests and nuns allowed to marry and have families, like certain Protestant faiths allow? The answer is this: because the Church doesn't want to relinquish its control over the priesthood. It's like the worst D/s relationship ever. I doubt this will change any time soon.
So what you're saying is the Papal regime akin to 50 Shades of Grey?

>:)
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Rhapsody

Quote from: Chris Brady on February 11, 2013, 10:30:21 PM
So what you're saying is the Papal regime akin to 50 Shades of Grey?

>:)

Telling you what to wear, who to talk to, what to say, how to behave, what and when to eat, with really boring chore sex when you're allowed to have sex at all?

Yeah. It's pretty much That Book.
|| Games I Play||
Not Available for RP
|| O&O || Requests ||  A&A ||
Current Posting Speed: 1-2 times per week

Come to me, just in a dream. Come on and rescue me.
Yes, I know. I can be wrong. Maybe I'm too headstrong.

TaintedAndDelish

These are intelligent, but irrational people who support an irrational religion. You expect them to do something that makes sense, like allow priests to marry or jerk off regularly? Their actions say that they would prefer to have horny priests causing trouble as opposed to priests who have a healthy sexual outlet.  As for why, I'm sure their reason makes little sense, but is thoroughly rationalized.

stormwyrm

So now that Gloria Olivae has stepped down, who do you suppose shall be Petrus Romanus, the last Pope?
If there is such a phenomenon as absolute evil, it consists in treating another human being as a thing.
O/OA/A, Requests

Driskoll

I don't know who they'll be, I'm just interested in seeing if St. Malachy was right or not. Call it a morbid interest in doomsday prophecies.

Thesunmaid

I didn't know that the pope could retire...I mean the last one was twitching and drooling on himself and could barely stand up..but this one is leaving because of health problems?

Some mornings its just not worth chewing through the leather straps.
Current Status for posts: working on them Current Status for RP:Tentatively looking

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: thesunmaid on February 14, 2013, 04:39:59 AM
I didn't know that the pope could retire...I mean the last one was twitching and drooling on himself and could barely stand up..but this one is leaving because of health problems?

I think he's trying to set a precedent and make it so that the pope remains a healthy representative of the church. He is putting the church ahed of his ego and tradition. I wish he'd unclench about other issues, but this is a start in my mind.  Of course whoever replaces him could go back to business as usual. Remember the last VOLUNTARY resignation was nearly 900 years ago. Celestine V. And his reward was to be locked up by his replacement. 

Torch

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on February 14, 2013, 10:56:49 AM
I think he's trying to set a precedent and make it so that the pope remains a healthy representative of the church.

It's the internet age, and he knows this.

A hundred years ago, a pontiff could stay holed up in the Vatican for years in failing health and no one was the wiser. Not true today.
"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must outrun the fastest lion or it will be killed. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle, when the sun comes up, you'd better be running."  Sir Roger Bannister

Erotic is using a feather. Kinky is using the whole chicken.

On's and Off's

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Torch on February 14, 2013, 12:16:31 PM
It's the internet age, and he knows this.

A hundred years ago, a pontiff could stay holed up in the Vatican for years in failing health and no one was the wiser. Not true today.

In a lot of ways I think that John Paul's last few years might have weighted heavily in his thinking.

Brittany

I am not a religious person, and I raised a few eyebrows at the whole hitler youth thing with this pope, although his explanation that young men in germany had little choice makes sense to me.  In all honesty, I could not care about who the pope was or what he did.  Until he came to Britain.

While he was here, I was actually captivated by it.  So many people were out to greet him, and you could visibly see that he touched so many lives.  And this was just three days of his life.  It reminded me very much so of the Queen's visits.  Had little relevance to me or my life, but I appreciate that he brought hope, happiness, faith, and even just a smile to so many people.  It won me over to be quite honest.

I think he did a good job.  I'm surprised he would resign, but I can imagine that it would be very difficult on such an old man.  I personally wonder why Popes are so old when appointed.  I know you need life experience, but it seems like a very difficult job for men in their 90's.

Oniya

As I understand it, there is a minimum age for the Pope, much like the President of the US.  Add to that the fact that the other appointments in the hierarchy work from the top down (Popes raise Cardinals from the Archbishops, etc.)  By the time one has reached the rank of Cardinal (and thus eligibility), there's a load of years gone by.  Then you have the fact that the Church itself is a fairly (many would say 'very') conservative organization.  Younger people are more likely to embrace change, which would make them less attractive to the 'Old Guard' of the College of Cardinals as papal candidates.  As a result, you have a tendency to have older Popes elected.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Brittany

Quote from: Oniya on February 15, 2013, 10:04:51 AM
As I understand it, there is a minimum age for the Pope, much like the President of the US.  Add to that the fact that the other appointments in the hierarchy work from the top down (Popes raise Cardinals from the Archbishops, etc.)  By the time one has reached the rank of Cardinal (and thus eligibility), there's a load of years gone by.  Then you have the fact that the Church itself is a fairly (many would say 'very') conservative organization.  Younger people are more likely to embrace change, which would make them less attractive to the 'Old Guard' of the College of Cardinals as papal candidates.  As a result, you have a tendency to have older Popes elected.

You got me curious so I looked it up! http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_there_an_age_requirement_for_the_pope

No, there is no age requirement. The only requirements are that the pope be male and Catholic. Should he not be ordained yet when elected pope, he will be ordained and then consecrated as a bishop. Usually, however, the pope is elected from the College of Cardinals, but that need not be the case.

To be a catholic priest you need to be 25 though.  I do agree with your attractive to the old guard assessment. 

I did notice some of the candidates appear to be younger.  Like I said, whilst completely non-religious, I very much enjoyed the pope's visit but I assume such work would be very stressful at his age!  Hopefully we get someone young enough to physically cope with the burden, but it would be strange to have a "young pope" :-)

Rhapsody

|| Games I Play||
Not Available for RP
|| O&O || Requests ||  A&A ||
Current Posting Speed: 1-2 times per week

Come to me, just in a dream. Come on and rescue me.
Yes, I know. I can be wrong. Maybe I'm too headstrong.

Oniya

Well, if you have to be 25 to be a priest, there's no way you're going to get a Pope that's under 25.  ;)  Since Pope Urban VI (who was still an Archbishop at the time of his election in 1389), every Pope has been elected from the ranks of the Cardinals. 

Hades

It's alot like in the US House of Representatives and picking the Speaker.   There's no rule that says the Speaker of the House has to be a member of that body, but noone that isn't part of the majority party has ever been selected as Speaker in the history of the country.

Likewise, for over 600 years no Pope has been selected that wasn't a cardinal at the time.  There's no rule that says it has to be done, but the weight of tradition (and the Catholic Church is nothing if not a stickler for following tradition) makes it unlikely to change anytime soon.

Course, I'm just waiting for spaceflight to become cheap and then I'm moving to Mars. :D

Brittany

You all got me interested so I read up a lot.  From what I can see the only real requirements are to be catholic, male. and no older than 80.  You don't have to be a priest so there is no minimum age.  The ages of the previous popes have been between the age of 12-80.

However like you've said, unless they have a really really special person come along, the second coming of jesus or something, then what they actually choose from is a member of the college of cardinal's with an average age (in recent times) of 65 with view for a term of at least 10 years.

The exiting pope was a cardinal and was 78 when he became pope :)

Oniya

Quote from: Brittany on February 15, 2013, 03:58:56 PM
You all got me interested so I read up a lot.  From what I can see the only real requirements are to be catholic, male. and no older than 80.  You don't have to be a priest so there is no minimum age.  The ages of the previous popes have been between the age of 12-80.

Which one was 12? :o

Brittany

Quote from: Oniya on February 15, 2013, 04:02:19 PM
Which one was 12? :o

Ok so I may have jumped the gun but I was referring to Benedict IX in 1032 :)  The first pope to sell the palpacy, the first pope to be pope more than once, the first homosexual pope and the first pope to hold orgies o.O  Sounds fun!

Although the official Catholic Encyclopedia of 1907 states his uncles put him on the throne, not at 12, but of 14, then, 17 and again about 20.  There are plenty of rumors and an urban myth that he was 12 but I guess it's impossible to prove.  They also call him a "disgrace to the chair of Peter".  Guess he made a lasting impression!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pope_Benedict_IX
12 year old pope brings up some interesting google searches!

You know, from a non religious point of view, reading about these popes is actually quite interesting.  I never realised it was all so seedy!!!  ;D  Maybe I will start watching the Borgia's!

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Brittany on February 15, 2013, 05:43:40 PM
Ok so I may have jumped the gun but I was referring to Benedict IX in 1032 :)  The first pope to sell the palpacy, the first pope to be pope more than once, the first homosexual pope and the first pope to hold orgies o.O  Sounds fun!

Although the official Catholic Encyclopedia of 1907 states his uncles put him on the throne, not at 12, but of 14, then, 17 and again about 20.  There are plenty of rumors and an urban myth that he was 12 but I guess it's impossible to prove.  They also call him a "disgrace to the chair of Peter".  Guess he made a lasting impression!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pope_Benedict_IX
12 year old pope brings up some interesting google searches!

You know, from a non religious point of view, reading about these popes is actually quite interesting.  I never realised it was all so seedy!!!  ;D  Maybe I will start watching the Borgia's!

Whoa.. just.. wow.. the guy was.. deviant.. wow...

Oniya

The Borgias are a whole different level of seedy - Renaissance politics were quite often cut-throat in the literal sense.  ;D