Wrath of the Dragonkin

Started by Lady Jenn, April 24, 2015, 06:17:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Jenn

Vennar was a tall, raven-haired, middle-aged blacksmith who stood over an anvil, beating his newest sword into shape, occasionally looking over his shoulder towards the doorway to his forge. His children were yet to return, and after what had happened to his brother he feared for them being out alone in the city.

He picked up the sword, giving it a few practice swings and smiling as he saw that it was perfect as usual. This one was intended for a special use however, one he had long expected to come but had still dreaded. He walked over to where a small painting of a beautiful young woman hung, kneeling down in front of it and closing his eyes for a moment, before looking up at the image.

"I am sorry Ainur," he said quietly. "I have failed you. I promised I would protect our child from the wars that scarred this world, but now I fear she have no choice in the matter. I would go myself but...at my age I fear I would not make it. They don't realise the task I am about to give to them though."

Arkhambell

Annessa walks in to the forge looking like the splitting image of her mother with long blond hair braided down her back to her waist.  The only thing that made her look any different was she had her father's bright green eyes.  She walks over and picks up the sword and swings it a few times. 

"Hello Father."  she smiles softly. "Talking to Mother again.  You only do that when your overly stressed.  What's going on?" She sets down the sword and walks over to him looking up at the painting.  She whispers softly "I miss you Mamma."

She looks over her shoulder as her sibling walks in.
The tired dreamer tries to keep the words flowing from her finger tips as her mind races far ahead

Lady Jenn

"Thank goodness you are safe," he said, drawing her into a hug. "Your uncle has been taken by Myraz, I feared something had happened to you as well." At that moment there was a loud knock on the door. "Wait here," he said, grabbing his hammer from above the forge. He opened the door, ready to swing the hammer, but relaxed when he saw the aging woman stood on the other side. "Carolina, I could have killed you."

"You know I'd come back to haunt you if I did," she replied, laughing as she stepped into the room. "Annessa, it has been so long since I saw you I suspect you don't remember me. Have you told her about the plan?"

"I was just about to get to that when you interrupted," Vennar said, scratching the back of his head, feeling embarrassed.

Arkhambell

She hugs her father back.  She jumps at the sound at the door.  She instinctually steps into a fighting stance.  Her father opens the door greeting the woman like an old friend.  Before she has a chance to get curious as to who the woman is she mentions something about a plan.

She crosses her arms and looks at her dad and this woman her brow furrowed.  "Plan?  What plan?"  Annessa looks at her father.  "What have you kept from me?  You never hide things from me." 

She walks over towards the two of them.  "What ever it is I am sure I'm more than ready."  She has always been a confidant brave child that has never been afraid.
The tired dreamer tries to keep the words flowing from her finger tips as her mind races far ahead

Lady Jenn

"You are too young to realize this, but Myraz has ruled for far beyond an ordinary lifespan," Carolina said, laying a map out on a table Vennar quickly cleared. "One hundred and fifty years ago he tricked the lord of the dragons into handing him a relic which gave him immense power and extended age."

"He then killed the dragonlord," Vennar continued. "The son of the beast he slew is now the lord of the city of Dragonblight," as he spoke he pointed to an imposing mountain range to the north of the map.

"If we are to stop Myraz we will need Stormrider's help," Carolina said, turning to look at Annessa. "But this is no simple task, there are orcs, trolls and far worse lying between here and the dragons. I would not ask you to do this but I and your father are old and our window for escaping this city narrows with every passing day."

Arkhambell

She looks at them confused and nervous.  "So what excatly do you want me to do?  And am I going alone?"

She fidgets nervous looking at her father knowing that he was just as scared about this as her.  "Father?"

Lady Jenn

"I can take you to the edge of the forest," Carolina replied. "But the days of me going on quests are long behind me, this is a task for younger bodies. There will be allies out there though, I can promise we are not the only ones who hate Myraz."

"I've made this for you," Vennar said, picking up the freshly forged sword and a bag of supplies and handing them to her. "It won't last you all the way north but it should keep you healthy for the journey you face."

"Annessa, I will explain your task when we are somewhere safe," Carolina said. "My cart is waiting outside, climb under the rug on the back, I will be out shortly but I must speak to your father about something before we leave."

Arkhambell

She smiles and hugs her father and takes the bag and sword saying nothing because that was how her and her father were.  She climbs into the cart with ease and with out being noticed.

Lady Jenn

Carolina walked out, making her way to the cart while keeping half an eye out for any company.

"Listen to me carefully," Carolina said quietly. "As long as you're under there no-one will be able to see you, I'll tell you when it's safe to get out." She set off, breathing a sigh of relief when they made it past the guards on the gate without any alarms. She didn't stop until they reached a huge forest who's interior was shrouded in darkness. "We've reached the Forest of Shadows," she said. "You can get out, I have things to say and a couple of gifts to help you on your journey."

Arkhambell

She slides out of the cart strapping the sword to her side and grabing the pack her father had packed her.  She looks at the woman waiting to see what she had to say having no choice but to trust what she has to say.

Lady Jenn

"This is the Dawnhammer blade," Carolina said, reaching into the back of the cart and bringing out a golden sheathed blade. "Not only is this a weapon a smith like your father could only dream of forging, but it is a relic of an ancient alliance. There are many in this world who will flock to your banner simply at a sight of this sword." She passed the blade to her and reached back to pull out a red gem on a necklace. "This is an equally rare item, it is called a Dragonsblood gem. Not only will this glow if there are dragons nearby, but it will enable you to understand the ancient Dragonspeech." She fastened the necklace around her neck. "I cannot offer you much advice, but I can warn you about this forest. There is a path which you can follow from one side to another, do not step off it, there are wolves and far worse within its borders. If you can find one of the Elven rangers I would accept their help." She started back towards the cart before turning again. "Tell them Carolina sent you, there is a chance you may meet an old...friend of mine within there." She returned to her and gave her a quick embrace. "I fear this is the last time I see you, good luck, whatever you do, do not worry about us, you cannot afford to turn back once you set foot within this forest. Goodbye," she said, jumping onto the cart and heading back to the city.

Arkhambell

She watches the cart roll away.  She was alone in the forest.  She sighs and straps the blade on her back leaving the one her father made for her at easy access.  She straighten her bag and stands up straight starting into the forest staying tight to the path soon she is well past the clearing where she had be left.

Lady Jenn

The cloaked figure watched her from its vantage point behind a tree, reaching into its quiver to knock a green-feathered arrow to the string. However she wasn't the target, a wolf was stalking her through the undergrowth, and attempted to pounce on her but fell short with the arrow through its neck, a second arrow on the bow in an instant.

"Who dares enter the Findo'rei?" the figure called out. "Speak now or the next arrow will be in your neck."

Arkhambell

She instinctually grabs the sword on her back.  "Names Annessa.  I thank you for the help but I mean no trouble I've got to get where I'm headed and I don't have time to sit and chat so if you don't mind I'll be on my way."  She keeps her sword at the ready not even remotely ready to relax with this archer around.

Lady Jenn

"Great Earthmother it cannot be..." the figure said, stepping from behind the tree and onto the path. The folds of its cloak revealed a tunic tightly drawn around their body, a quiver of arrows over its shoulder and a bow in one hand. "How did you come by that sword?" the figure pulled its hood down to reveal a beautiful but aged looking female elf, silver hair flowing down her back, a pair of ice blue eyes staring from below a pair of thin eyebrows.

Arkhambell

She doesn't relax from her fighting stance "Carolina said I would need it for my mission.  Now I need to get going if you don't mind." 

Lady Jenn

"Carolina..." a distant look appeared in the elf's eyes, a spell broken by a distant howl. "I would not advise walking this path tonight," she said, walking over to the wolf and pulling her arrow free. "The wolves of this forest don't stop once they have your scent. I cannot make you come with me but I have a camp where you will be far safer than you will on the road." She wiped the arrow on her cloak, the robe moving enough to reveal a bracer on one wrist with an image identical to one found on the sheath of the Dawnhammer blade. "What do you want to do?"

Arkhambell

I suppose I have no better choice than to trust you". She says this after carefully watching the elfs movements.  She slides the sword back in its sheath.

Lady Jenn

She lead her off the path through the trees until they reached a clearing which although seemingly empty at first glance appeared more lived in. A hammock hung between two trees, below which laid a sheath which an intricately patterned hilt peeking out from it. The elf hung the bow and quiver from a nearby branch, sliding her cloak off to reveal the half-tunic, half dress she was wearing. two chains were visible around her neck, one ended in a trinket marked with an unusual pattern while the other vanished beneath her clothes.

"My name is Ariadne," she said, turning finally to face her. A smile crossed her face. "Carolina was hoping you would find me evidently, she and I...got back a long way." She filled a cup from a small pool in one corner of the clearing and passed it to Annessa. "As for the blade you carry, my interest should be clear when I tell you my full name: I am Princess Ariadne, daughter of the Dawnhammer clan of Elves."